Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

First Impressions: Heavy Rain

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Edited By xxizzypop

Heavy Rain has left me conflicted. We're creeping up on the second anniversary of the game's release here in the U.S., and it remains perhaps one of the most unique experiences that I've had with a video game to date. As someone who never played Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit, to the rest of the world), the gameplay has astounded me all the way from it's initial reveal to present day. It teeters on this delicate balance of being both the most engaging and interactive thing I've ever played, while also leaving me strangely disconnected from the entire experience.

All the actions of your character are carried out in what can only be described as quick time events; from mundane activities, such as brushing your character's teeth and drying their hair with a towel via Sixaxis controls, to fighting off knife wielding psychopaths and rushing to mend the wound of a suicidal woman. The whole thing introduces an astounding level of interactivity, because regardless of whether they are passed, failed or skipped, every action has a consequence. Though not all actions will have a major effect on the flow of the story (for example, making my character drink some orange juice), it's easy to see how failing to perform quickly enough could result in the death of major characters, leading to a potentially wholly different story.

Unfortunately, for as engaging and impactful as these sequences can feel, one major shortcoming has been the inability to directly control the character. Though I can only imagine it impossible, given the way that the game uses the rest of the controller, not being able to move your character with just the left thumbstick can lead to occasional frustrations as you attempt to steer them, much like a car, towards your intended destination. While this hasn't proven to be game breaking, it does introduce a strange disconnect between the player and the character admist traversal, something that feels all the more odd given how the rest of the game feels.

What is a great deal more bothersome is the quality of voice acting in Heavy Rain. Developed by Quantic Dream, a developer based out of France, the accents of their voice actors have a tendency to come through, ranging from subtle to incredibly overt. With the whole game hinging on it's ability to build tension and immerse the player in the events that are unfolding, it can be brought down or outright broken at times between stiff, unnatural deliveries, or hearing some measure of a Western European accent slip in to a Bostonian FBI agent's voice.

All in all though... Heavy Rain still feels damn good. I'm engrossed in the story that's being told and curious to see how all of these characters will eventually come together, and looking forward to being able to review this game proper.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xxizzypop

Heavy Rain has left me conflicted. We're creeping up on the second anniversary of the game's release here in the U.S., and it remains perhaps one of the most unique experiences that I've had with a video game to date. As someone who never played Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit, to the rest of the world), the gameplay has astounded me all the way from it's initial reveal to present day. It teeters on this delicate balance of being both the most engaging and interactive thing I've ever played, while also leaving me strangely disconnected from the entire experience.

All the actions of your character are carried out in what can only be described as quick time events; from mundane activities, such as brushing your character's teeth and drying their hair with a towel via Sixaxis controls, to fighting off knife wielding psychopaths and rushing to mend the wound of a suicidal woman. The whole thing introduces an astounding level of interactivity, because regardless of whether they are passed, failed or skipped, every action has a consequence. Though not all actions will have a major effect on the flow of the story (for example, making my character drink some orange juice), it's easy to see how failing to perform quickly enough could result in the death of major characters, leading to a potentially wholly different story.

Unfortunately, for as engaging and impactful as these sequences can feel, one major shortcoming has been the inability to directly control the character. Though I can only imagine it impossible, given the way that the game uses the rest of the controller, not being able to move your character with just the left thumbstick can lead to occasional frustrations as you attempt to steer them, much like a car, towards your intended destination. While this hasn't proven to be game breaking, it does introduce a strange disconnect between the player and the character admist traversal, something that feels all the more odd given how the rest of the game feels.

What is a great deal more bothersome is the quality of voice acting in Heavy Rain. Developed by Quantic Dream, a developer based out of France, the accents of their voice actors have a tendency to come through, ranging from subtle to incredibly overt. With the whole game hinging on it's ability to build tension and immerse the player in the events that are unfolding, it can be brought down or outright broken at times between stiff, unnatural deliveries, or hearing some measure of a Western European accent slip in to a Bostonian FBI agent's voice.

All in all though... Heavy Rain still feels damn good. I'm engrossed in the story that's being told and curious to see how all of these characters will eventually come together, and looking forward to being able to review this game proper.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JCTango

It seems like these types of games tend to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it type games. I've yet to try this one out, but I'm interested in it. I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy, so this one should be up my alley.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Morrow

@xxizzypop said:

or hearing some measure of a Western European accent slip in to a Bostonian FBI agent's voice.

Norman Jayden is both played (motion-captured) and voiced by an English actor. Nobody's perfect :P

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xxizzypop

@Morrow: That makes me a little sad :/ It might be because I've grown up near, in and around Massachusetts, but man, actors are incapable of pulling off the accent without sounding like the largest of tools.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Morrow

@xxizzypop: I don't know much about American accents, but take it as a compliment. I guess it must be quite hard to achieve a correct accent if most actors can't quite pull it off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.