Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Heavy Rain Is Purty Darn Cool. Also spoilers.. just incase.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Edited By Yummylee

I generally like rain, and now, thanks to Quantic Dreams, I really quite like me some Heavy Rain as well! I also really enjoyed Qunatic Dreams previous morality adventure endeavorer, Fahrenheit (better known as Indigo Prophecy), quite a fair bit--though I actually only played that for the first time sometime early last year--but, as anyone who's played it also can attest it, that game had some issues. And not just the kind of issues where you go about assassinating specific individuals while under hypnosis. In fact even to this day I still haven't completed it, and left it during one of the later flash back stealth sections. Seriously, fuck those sections with a ritualistic dagger! So terribly uneven with the guards line of sight, the camera controls and.. it really just isn't any fun.
    From what I've also heard from people who braved the torment of hearing ''stop or I'll shoot'' over and over, the ending segments that begin to wrap up the story really weren't even worth the hassle to begin with. Which is a shame, since I was really diggin' the story, the characters, and the incredibly innovative tale telling design and atmosphere it loved to flaunt in every scene.

It was this contrasting praise against my skepticism built around Indigo's final few sections that kept me away from Heavy Rain for so long, until only around a week ago, actually. I was admiring it from a far, but I still wasn't entirely convinced, and not to mention my own money needing to be spent on games I'm more assured to find some appeal. I buy a lot of sequels for example.. 
    Anywhoo, I did finally take the final step towards a Heavy Rain purchase, thanks to turboman oddly enough during the last Shadowy Cabal Podcast and his compliments towards it being such a really great game. 

That's right. The mentally challenged and never not drooling offspring of HS21, Jazz, Turbo, and Godlyawesomeguy made a sale... You know when your podcast is moving up (to selling out!??!) when it maybe potentially scoring you royalty cheques..

And now with all of that pointless and no doubt dreary exposition out of the way, onto the game! 

YOU ARE LORD RAVEN
     YOU ARE LORD RAVEN

Heavy Rain is.. really kinda-sorta-awesome, and is now no doubt one of my favourite games of 2010. I mean it's so much better than Fahrenheit. The games dripping and constantly bleak atmosphere and direction is fantastic, and pulls greatly against my love of detective thrillers. The game has quite a few glaring problems even still, but compared to what the game gives within its positives would be like I'm nit picking. Though no, some of the problems do really stick out and need to be addressed... The movement is a common complaint and well deserved. It is reminiscent of the old Resident Evil games, yet a whole heap more sluggish. Sometimes it feels like my character's trying to walk through a river.. going with the theme of the Heaviness of Rain maybe (not), but still unforgivable. I could get behind you needing to hold a button to move - or rather I could tolerate, not so understand it; the actual movement is bleedin' terrible. So often would my character get latched between two pieces of furniture and my attempts to escape this hell would result in him/her constantly just turning around over and over. It didn't ruin the game or anything, but when put against the high quality of so much else the game delivers it was made more evident, and no doubt helped ruin the serious immersion, such as Ethan Mars being too busy to bond with his only son because he's in the midst of humping this park bench.

I just wish there a button to punch this guy similar to Ethan's ''JAY-SON'' button.
     I just wish there a button to punch this guy similar to Ethan's ''JAY-SON'' button.
    The gameplay is otherwise very well done, with some clever uses of QTE's, to while are mostly frowned upon and seen as lazy design, in Heavy Rain they make the bulk of the game and triumph with the variety and how fitting it all meshes into the game. Similar to Fahrenheit, the characters can perform all kinds of mundane activities.. just because. It's a brilliant way to help you sort of make up your own character development, and is otherwise just a pretty way of showing the human sides. If anything, the game occasionally resembled The Sims.  The many more dangerous situations involving chases, split second morality decisions and fisti-cuffs also made for some surprisingly intense sequences. I especially loved how should you fail a button press your character will just carry on, just with a slight fumble up to show that you're action (or mis-action) is noted. Again, how the QTE's are handled within these are excellent and manages to make you feel like you're still very much apart of the action thats transpiring. It's also no doubt some of the best use of the sixaxis within a game thus far. Really is quite satisfying to beat down a door by throwing your controller out a window.

There were moments that the QTE's proved to be rather tricky, and tough to pull off. Most notably the half/quarter circle directional inputs, to which under high pressure are made to be incredibly difficult over every other kind of QTE the game threw at you. My own reactionary senses could be to blame for the most part, but sometimes when I was sure I done it correctly would the game still cancel it out. A lot of times it proved to be finicky, and under the around 1.5 second timer you're given to make the moves, it would leave me with a lot mistakes. It's understandable to have some difficulty within the proceedings, but on the other hand it also took out my ability to create my own interpretation of Heavy Rain. I mean I lost my very own Nahmen Jayden because of those slight inaccuracies and he was my favowit ='(

It's appreciated and refreshing for a game to have you live with your own mistakes and too carry on regardless of how a situation is carried out, but when it's because of the games sometimes inaccurate and unfair demands of input sequences, it was made to be a lot less enjoyable. 

goddamnasthmaIhopeitstopsraining  soon
    The story and how the amount of say was still pretty brilliant non the less. The story's arc was more or less set in stone, but determining how each member of four leading cast would act and react would fantastic. And it made for some freakin' tough situations down the line, with the single dad, Ethan, really taking the brunt of Heavy Rain's sadistic ways to torture them. And even though these were just virtual blocks of pixels, they were incredibly endearing and there were choices within the game that had me actually sit and think about the consequences. There's no other game so far that inspired that train of thought and had me take a step back to imagine the bigger picture of things, and just which was best. Not even franchises such as the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games could bring out such commitment. The voice acting had its ups and downs, though. Most of the main characters are voiced by English VA's and manage to do the American accents pretty well; other characters don't fair as well such as a hooker that PI Scott Shelby kinda teams up with, Lauren, really looks to be having a tough time keeping the French dialect at bay. One flashback scene that has you playing as a kid clearly wasn't even trying. I'm surprised he doesn't just outright shout sacre bleu. The main cast is again mostly well done with regards to their performance, but Sam Douglas' (Scott Shelby) often machine gun fire delivery with his lines can be unintentionally hilarious at times. His character of Scott coincidentally has an asthma condition as well.. which is ironic to find him puffing an inhaler one moment to completely spewing out his lines like he's being fast forwarded the next. Criticisms towards the voice acting can't be said without Ethan's own ''JAY...SON'' fit within the mall either.. I mean really, did he record half of the name one day then finish it off the next?? Putting those aside though, the characters were still well executed, and I certainly cared for a lot of their fates. Which is what left me genuinely feeling kinda down during the ending.

The end of the game had me left with close to no-one alive, and I was sitting through no doubt one of the more depressing endings of the game. It really was kinda haunting, and had me thinking things over for a few hours afterwards; what if I done this, what if this character survived, what if this character didn't? And I'll most likely never know either! The one weird thing this game gave me was a kind of closure. Even though Heavy Rain ended on a kinda fitting low note, there are so many interpretations of what could happened, which made this journey of mine feels more personal, and one I wouldn't really want to tarnish just to get a lot of ''what if'' alternatives. Which again sets this game apart from so many others for me - someone who generally adores games with plenty of replay value, yet with Heavy Rain was left with it going to waste for the sake of authenticity of my own playthrough. 

Really is such a bewildering game, and made to be so vividly memorable for its own uniquities as much as its excellent cast of emotionally driven characters and stylistic story. I wouldn't say it's exactly bulldozing the boundaries of story within games, though it most definitely does give you one that stands out amongst the pile. Equally a movie as a game, titles like Heavy Rain are the ones that are bringing forth a more mature story telling design and are to be lauded for its attempts at bridging the gap (or at least continuing where Fahrenheit left off) between two of the most popular kinds media in the world. I can not wait for Quantic Dream's next particularly tuned adventure title, and whatever it is, thanks to Heavy Rain, I'm sure it won't take me around a year to finally catch up to it.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I generally like rain, and now, thanks to Quantic Dreams, I really quite like me some Heavy Rain as well! I also really enjoyed Qunatic Dreams previous morality adventure endeavorer, Fahrenheit (better known as Indigo Prophecy), quite a fair bit--though I actually only played that for the first time sometime early last year--but, as anyone who's played it also can attest it, that game had some issues. And not just the kind of issues where you go about assassinating specific individuals while under hypnosis. In fact even to this day I still haven't completed it, and left it during one of the later flash back stealth sections. Seriously, fuck those sections with a ritualistic dagger! So terribly uneven with the guards line of sight, the camera controls and.. it really just isn't any fun.
    From what I've also heard from people who braved the torment of hearing ''stop or I'll shoot'' over and over, the ending segments that begin to wrap up the story really weren't even worth the hassle to begin with. Which is a shame, since I was really diggin' the story, the characters, and the incredibly innovative tale telling design and atmosphere it loved to flaunt in every scene.

It was this contrasting praise against my skepticism built around Indigo's final few sections that kept me away from Heavy Rain for so long, until only around a week ago, actually. I was admiring it from a far, but I still wasn't entirely convinced, and not to mention my own money needing to be spent on games I'm more assured to find some appeal. I buy a lot of sequels for example.. 
    Anywhoo, I did finally take the final step towards a Heavy Rain purchase, thanks to turboman oddly enough during the last Shadowy Cabal Podcast and his compliments towards it being such a really great game. 

That's right. The mentally challenged and never not drooling offspring of HS21, Jazz, Turbo, and Godlyawesomeguy made a sale... You know when your podcast is moving up (to selling out!??!) when it maybe potentially scoring you royalty cheques..

And now with all of that pointless and no doubt dreary exposition out of the way, onto the game! 

YOU ARE LORD RAVEN
     YOU ARE LORD RAVEN

Heavy Rain is.. really kinda-sorta-awesome, and is now no doubt one of my favourite games of 2010. I mean it's so much better than Fahrenheit. The games dripping and constantly bleak atmosphere and direction is fantastic, and pulls greatly against my love of detective thrillers. The game has quite a few glaring problems even still, but compared to what the game gives within its positives would be like I'm nit picking. Though no, some of the problems do really stick out and need to be addressed... The movement is a common complaint and well deserved. It is reminiscent of the old Resident Evil games, yet a whole heap more sluggish. Sometimes it feels like my character's trying to walk through a river.. going with the theme of the Heaviness of Rain maybe (not), but still unforgivable. I could get behind you needing to hold a button to move - or rather I could tolerate, not so understand it; the actual movement is bleedin' terrible. So often would my character get latched between two pieces of furniture and my attempts to escape this hell would result in him/her constantly just turning around over and over. It didn't ruin the game or anything, but when put against the high quality of so much else the game delivers it was made more evident, and no doubt helped ruin the serious immersion, such as Ethan Mars being too busy to bond with his only son because he's in the midst of humping this park bench.

The gameplay is otherwise very well done, with some clever uses of QTE's, to while are mostly frowned upon and seen as lazy design, in Heavy Rain they make the bulk of the game and triumph with the variety and how fitting it all meshes into the game. Similar to Fahrenheit, the characters can perform all kinds of mundane activities.. just because. It's a brilliant way to help you sort of make up your own character development, and is otherwise just a pretty way of showing the human sides. If anything, the game occasionally resembled The Sims.  The many more dangerous situations involving chases, split second morality decisions and fisti-cuffs also made for some surprisingly intense sequences. I especially loved how should you fail a button press your character will just carry on, just with a slight fumble up to show that you're action (or mis-action) is noted. Again, how the QTE's are handled within these are excellent and manages to make you feel like you're still very much apart of the action thats transpiring. It's also no doubt some of the best use of the sixaxis within a game thus far. Really is quite satisfying to beat down a door by throwing your controller out a window.

There were moments that the QTE's proved to be rather tricky, and tough to pull off. Most notably the half/quarter circle directional inputs, to which under high pressure are made to be incredibly difficult over every other kind of QTE the game threw at you. My own reactionary senses could be to blame for the most part, but sometimes when I was sure I done it correctly would the game still cancel it out. A lot of times it proved to be finicky, and under the around 1.5 second timer you're given to make the moves, it would leave me with a lot mistakes. It's understandable to have some difficulty within the proceedings, but on the other hand it also took out my ability to create my own interpretation of Heavy Rain. I mean I lost my very own Nahmen Jayden because of those slight inaccuracies and he was my favowit ='(

It's appreciated and refreshing for a game to have you live with your own mistakes and too carry on regardless of how a situation is carried out, but when it's because of the games sometimes inaccurate and unfair demands of input sequences, it was made to be a lot less enjoyable. 

The story and how the amount of say was still pretty brilliant non the less. The story's arc was more or less set in stone, but determining how each member of four leading cast would act and react would fantastic. And it made for some freakin' tough situations down the line, with the single dad, Ethan, really taking the brunt of Heavy Rain's sadistic ways to torture them. And even though these were just virtual blocks of pixels, they were incredibly endearing and there were choices within the game that had me actually sit and think about the consequences. There's no other game so far that inspired that train of thought and had me take a step back to imagine the bigger picture of things, and just which was best. Not even franchises such as the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games could bring out such commitment. The voice acting had its ups and downs, though. Most of the main characters are voiced by English VA's and manage to do the American accents pretty well; other characters don't fair as well such as a hooker that PI Scott Shelby kinda teams up with, Lauren, really looks to be having a tough time keeping the French dialect at bay. One flashback scene that has you playing as a kid clearly wasn't even trying. I'm surprised he doesn't just outright shout sacre bleu. The main cast is again mostly well done with regards to their performance, but Sam Douglas' (Scott Shelby) often machine gun fire delivery with his lines can be unintentionally hilarious at times. His character of Scott coincidentally has an asthma condition as well.. which is ironic to find him puffing an inhaler one moment to completely spewing out his lines like he's being fast forwarded the next. Criticisms towards the voice acting can't be said without Ethan's own ''JAY...SON'' fit within the mall either.. I mean really, did he record half of the name one day then finish it off the next?? Putting those aside though, the characters were still well executed, and I certainly cared for a lot of their fates. Which is what left me genuinely feeling kinda down during the ending.

The end of the game had me left with close to no-one alive, and I was sitting through no doubt one of the more depressing endings of the game. It really was kinda haunting, and had me thinking things over for a few hours afterwards; what if I done this, what if this character survived, what if this character didn't? And I'll most likely never know either! The one weird thing this game gave me was a kind of closure. Even though Heavy Rain ended on a kinda fitting low note, there are so many interpretations of what could happened, which made this journey of mine feels more personal, and one I wouldn't really want to tarnish just to get a lot of ''what if'' alternatives. Which again sets this game apart from so many others for me - someone who generally adores games with plenty of replay value, yet with Heavy Rain was left with it going to waste for the sake of authenticity of my own playthrough. 

Really is such a bewildering game, and made to be so vividly memorable for its own uniquities as much as its excellent cast of emotionally driven characters and stylistic story. I wouldn't say it's exactly bulldozing the boundaries of story within games, though it most definitely does give you one that stands out amongst the pile. Equally a movie as a game, titles like Heavy Rain are the ones that are bringing forth a more mature story telling design and are to be lauded for its attempts at bridging the gap (or at least continuing where Fahrenheit left off) between two of the most popular kinds media in the world. I can not wait for Quantic Dream's next particularly tuned adventure title, and whatever it is, thanks to Heavy Rain, I'm sure it won't take me around a year to finally catch up to it.
    thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thecablekid

Its been a year since I played the game for the first time and I still think about it to this day. You should really go back and try to play it again however I do see your point with it being your version of the story and that is just how it is.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

Don't play it again! I started going through it again with the intention of  mopping up the trophies I missed and a few scenes in I felt like I was ruining my version of the story so I stopped. As soon as you discover certain characters just cannot die in certain parts it really ruins the whole game.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

I got such a sappy ass ending, I really hated it. Everyone survived, I caught the bad guy, etc. Overall though I thought the game was terribly boring. The story wasn't interesting, gameplay was nonexistent, characters were terribly voiced, and I beat it in about 7 hours. I'm glad I only rented it too, I would have been livid if I paid full price for the game.

Although Norman's special glasses were kick ass. Probably the only interesting thing the game did, to me.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    @TheCableKid said:
    " Its been a year since I played the game for the first time and I still think about it to this day. You should really go back and try to play it again however I do see your point with it being your version of the story and that is just how it is. "
    Cheers for the comment/follow! And the temptation is certainly there.. lingering around. But then there's such drawbacks as:

@marioncobretti said:
    " Don't play it again! I started going through it again with the intention of  mopping up the trophies I missed and a few scenes in I felt like I was ruining my version of the story so I stopped. As soon as you discover certain characters just cannot die in certain parts it really ruins the whole game. "
    the ones posted in here that keep it at bay :P It's also a good thing I'm not so forward with the trophy accumulation thing.. otherwise so much of this game, and its secrets, would be completely butchered. O_O

@xyzygy said:
    " I got such a sappy ass ending, I really hated it. Everyone survived, I caught the bad guy, etc. Overall though I thought the game was terribly boring. The story wasn't interesting, gameplay was nonexistent, characters were terribly voiced, and I beat it in about 7 hours. I'm glad I only rented it too, I would have been livid if I paid full price for the game.

Although Norman's special glasses were kick ass. Probably the only interesting thing the game did, to me.
    "
    Fair enough. I can very easily understand why some people would most likely dislike a lot about Heavy Rain. Though the complaints about  the gameplay being ''nonexistent'' sound pretty unjustified. I mean the ''gameplay'' is everywere in this game. That's one of the aspects that I loved about it, with the game and the movie being spliced into one. You were never safe and always needed to have your controller at the ready for who knows what. I mean saying this game has no gameplay is more or less writing off the entire Adventure genre. The game is centred around QTE's, but they're so well implemented to resemble real life actions that it looks like the game never gives you a break. Being bored, though, is understandable if you don't care for the story or characters, since the tension is built upon going through the journey with them and never knowing what to expect, with their own lives constantly being thrust into danger, with the possibility of death always following behind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.