Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Is Heavy Rain still worth playing (if it ever was)?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To give a little history about my experience with Quantic Dream's games, I rented Indigo Prophecy on the Xbox when it originally came out, and I liked what I played of it, but it wasn't that much. It wasn't until 2009 when I'd buy it on Steam and go through it. I really enjoyed most of it aside from some weird character moments and the less grounded ending. I played the demo of Heavy Rain on PS3, planning, seemingly knowing I was going to get it, but I just didn't pick it up. The atmosphere, the music, and story are things that were and still are something that grabs my attention, but the voice acting was always the major turn off for me honestly. It was the nail in the coffin after some years of waiting. If you're a game that's mainly about telling a story with voiced characters, the voice acting being bad is a huge turn off to me.

Beyond: Two Souls came out and I wasn't that interested largely because I didn't play Heavy Rain, despite thinking it was cool that they actually got some well-known actors, so I didn't pick it up on PS3 when it came out. Giving in, I bought it on the PS4 when it came out and I enjoyed it too for the most part. I think the game's story could have used more to it to fill in some blanks because again, like Indigo Prophecy, some character relationships didn't make sense as the chronology moves too far in time with no hint as to how the characters feel. I also think there are a handful of moments where the dialogue and voice work just don't match the same high standards of some of the rest. Also, it can be considered a plus or minus, but the game is not challenging whatsoever, and the story pretty much plays out the same way, so it's basically just an interactive movie.

Heavy Rain then comes out on the PS4, where I thought I'd get it, but again I don't get it. The voice work not only sounds pretty bad (from what I've always heard), but I stopped caring enough at some point after the original release that I looked up who the origami killer was, so I know that, and I saw that there were terrible glitches on the PS4 version. I am now replaying Beyond: Two Souls with my brother as he was trying to find some other game to play, and now I am thinking about Heavy Rain again. I also remember people comparing Heavy Rain and Alan Wake back in 2010, and Alan Wake is one of my favorite games of last-gen. Is Heavy Rain still worth getting? Have the PS4 bugs been fixed since its release? Should I just play it and get it over with?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well firstly I'd like to dispell the notion of Alan Wake and Heavy Rain being similar. I liked Heavy Rain a lot. It's basically a videogame version of Seven with quicktime events. The illusion of choice and technical marvel was a big draw though so I'm not too sure how it'll go down in 2017 but if you have it already may as well play it.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say its worth tracking down a lets play of the game and watching that. If you've tried playing it twice and find the voice-acting to be the thing that kills it for you..that doesn't get better. And the real reason to play it would be for the story..which you know the ending too, which is a pretty big drain on 'reasons to get past the voice acting and see it through".

Lets plays the way to go if you really want to experience the whole thing. Make sure sub-titles are on..and mute the audio/read your way through the segments where the voices get too you. Skip ahead as you like, and generally get the gist of the game.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Nubster

No and no.

Its a bad, gross, poorly written mess with atrocious voice-acting. Unless you're gonna laugh at it with friends, I wouldn't recommend putting any time into it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked indigo prophecy, liked beyond two souls, and hated heavy rain. People seem to like it though so i would give it a try if you can get it cheap, i think i may have gotten it free on plus or bought it on sale i don't even remember lol.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teddie

In the same sense that The Room is a fun movie to get together with some friends and laugh at, sure.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@teddie said:

In the same sense that The Room is a fun movie to get together with some friends and laugh at, sure.

I hadn't thought of this perspective, but I'll gladly second it.

It'd work better than most "bad" games too since it's pretty hard to completely fuck up the gameplay, and even if you do: a character dies and the game keeps going.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Sums up every QT game really.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Two Souls had some bad writing and uncomfortable (intentionally, I guess) moments or sequences, but they had their good share of pretty cool moments. Going nuts as Aiden was fun and kinda cool and Indigo Prophecy had a thrilling first hour or two. I can't really look at anything for Heavy Rain and say "this was awesome to watch and/or fun to play." The whole thing is mostly hilariously bad and frustrating. It also outright lies to you.

Also David Cage has some messed up ideas about romance that he tries to put in all his games. It's like he tries to emulate the classic Hollywood action movie romances where the girl inexplicably falls for the dude, but he puts no real effort in to do anything about it. Some of the ending dialogue in Heavy Rain is probably the absolute worst I've ever seen him write.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

There is a sequence involving glass that makes it one of the dumbest things I've ever experienced.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

Wait wait wait, I always thought that heavy rain was known as the only David Cage game worth playing and you guys are telling me its the worst?

Fredz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy Rain is the only game that made me rage quit. Normally i would play less and less until i stopped, but heavy rain made so godamn angry at the controlls that i quit and uninstalled on spot :(

Leeftie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have played heavy rain multiple times as a party game, with friends that varied greatly in their mastery of the ps3 controller. It was a lot of fun to see a heavy rain character die slowly because someone couldn't figure out where the triangle button was. Highly recommended, definitely if you already played until dawn or find that a bit too gory....

JASON! JAAAASSSOOONNN!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think Heavy Rain is a shit game. It's like a poorly thought out visual novel with bad controls and worse writing. It breaks one of the fundamental rules of mystery writing in an obscene way. Quite upsetting.

I don't think it's remotely comparable to Alan Wake other than perhaps being mostly (literally) dark.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy Rain is easily the best David Cage game and I enjoyed it a lot when it was released despite some parts of the game being pretty rough. I don`t know how well it holds up though and I think Until Dawn is a better game in that David Cage style than David Cage ever made, so if you haven`t played Until Dawn I would recommend that game instead.

Wait wait wait, I always thought that heavy rain was known as the only David Cage game worth playing and you guys are telling me its the worst?

I definitely think it`s his best game and I also thought that was the general consensus, but reading this thread I might be wrong about that.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed heavy rain, I’d say definitely worth giving it a shot.

thebisonxrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played Heavy Rain a few years ago and enjoyed it. I never did take it seriously, so it gave me a few laughs along the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for the first time this Summer and thought it was fine I'm one of those crazy people that actually like indigo prophecy more though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leeftie: I have Until Dawn. I kind of want to watch my brother go through it next so I took it out. I didn't like Until Dawn that much, it's actually a more fun experience to not take seriously. For instance, failing every moment you have to jump over or duck under something is hilarious. Also, it's not that gory in my opinion.

@bladededge: @hayt: No, I don't have it. I meant to say from what I've seen in videos, it turned me off. If I had it, I would have already finished it or be playing it. Also, I wouldn't play with no voices. I would at least laugh at it, and I don't even know for sure if it's as bad as I am thinking. I just think it's disappointing considering the story is what's there.

@burncoat said:

Indigo Prophecy and Beyond Two Souls had some bad writing and uncomfortable (intentionally, I guess) moments or sequences, but they had their good share of pretty cool moments. Going nuts as Aiden was fun and kinda cool and Indigo Prophecy had a thrilling first hour or two. I can't really look at anything for Heavy Rain and say "this was awesome to watch and/or fun to play." The whole thing is mostly hilariously bad and frustrating. It also outright lies to you.

Also David Cage has some messed up ideas about romance that he tries to put in all his games. It's like he tries to emulate the classic Hollywood action movie romances where the girl inexplicably falls for the dude, but he puts no real effort in to do anything about it. Some of the ending dialogue in Heavy Rain is probably the absolute worst I've ever seen him write.

Yep, both in Beyond: Two Souls and Indigo Prophecy, that's one of my main complaints. The relationship between the main character and another character feels like little effort was put in. In Beyond, it makes little sense as to why Jodie would fall for Ryan. I mean, there's passage of time, but it came right off of Ryan being an ass to Jodie. It's just bad. Also, I came on to say that Beyond has an amalgamation of cool moments, and yet I also think it's partly a bad thing because it feels like a bunch of disjointed things put together.

There have been some comments on Heavy Rain being good to laugh at, and while I think there are some fine emotional moments in Beyond, I also think Beyond is a game that you can gather people around to laugh at too in many ways. I have been doing it with my brother (although he has taken more investment into what's going on than I expected). I just wish the voice work was better in Heavy Rain and it didn't give me a reason to laugh about what is otherwise serious topics, or the logic of many things not holding up.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I'd also suggest Fahrenheit for the opening hour where David Cage appears to know what he's doing.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

While I strongly dislike David Cage and his games, if you liked Beyond and are curious about Heavy Rain you may as well give it a try. It's not really much worse than Beyond.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: @hayt: I know how different Alan Wake and Heavy Rain are, I just remember many people comparing them around their releases and that excited me. I think some of the comparisons may have come from the fact they have their own unique style, both excel at storytelling, and both were touted as being psychological thrillers. I'd also like to think it's because they both have good soundtracks. Gameplay wise they have nothing in common other than the fact you control a character.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

@shindig: I remember that. That was weird. I didn't know who David Cage was when I saw that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.