Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Just broke a cardinal rule of mine

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBrim

I just paid nearly full price ($60) for a game.  The last time I did that was for Killzone 2 last year, and I regret that decision.

I just pre-ordered Heavy Rain.  Instead of my typical save-a-buck waiting for a few months, I feel like rewarding Quantic Dream's massive risks, especially since I don't foresee very high sales for this game. 

Has anybody else made special exceptions like this for a game when they don;t normally pay full price?

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DBrim

I just paid nearly full price ($60) for a game.  The last time I did that was for Killzone 2 last year, and I regret that decision.

I just pre-ordered Heavy Rain.  Instead of my typical save-a-buck waiting for a few months, I feel like rewarding Quantic Dream's massive risks, especially since I don't foresee very high sales for this game. 

Has anybody else made special exceptions like this for a game when they don;t normally pay full price?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

I paid full price for Madden 2010, and it was my biggest purchase regret in recent memory, and the most I've paid for a game... probably ever.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FartyMcNarly

I dislike waiting for game prices to go down and I don't support the used game market so I always pay full price.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Whisperkill

I always pay full price if I want a game.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Romination

it's people like you who are hurting the industry

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndrewB
    @FartyMcNarly: I'm no retail expert, but doesn't the retailer initially buy the game at a set price and eat the profit for any price they set lower? If it doesn't affect the publisher directly, I definitely wouldn't be against it.

Also, I tend to hate to wait too, but there are still good deals to be found even at a game's launch. I snagged Mass Effect 2 for the 360 for $46 just days after it came out. Definitely worth the insignificant wait to me.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By trophyhunter
    @AndrewB said:
    " @FartyMcNarly: I'm no retail expert, but doesn't the retailer initially buy the game at a set price and eat the profit for any price they set lower? If it doesn't affect the publisher directly, I definitely wouldn't be against it.  Also, I tend to hate to wait too, but there are still good deals to be found even at a game's launch. I snagged Mass Effect 2 for the 360 for $46 just days after it came out. Definitely worth the insignificant wait to me. "
    developer also gets a share of what the store sells it for.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fripplebubby
    @DBrim said:
    " I just paid nearly full price ($60) for a game.  The last time I did that was for Killzone 2 last year, and I regret that decision.  I just pre-ordered Heavy Rain.  Instead of my typical save-a-buck waiting for a few months, I feel like rewarding Quantic Dream's massive risks, especially since I don't foresee very high sales for this game.  Has anybody else made special exceptions like this for a game when they don;t normally pay full price? "
    I kind of think that the game will sell a fair amount, given its the only game this gen (so far) that is like this, and it seems to be getting some positive press. It probably won't earn millions, but I bet it will warrant a sequel or follow up.
    DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DBrim
    @Romination: How so?
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fbomb

I don't really take price into consideration when buying a game. That's why I don't bother buying used games (unless they've stopped making the game I'm looking for) either. The current pricing is absolutely reasonable. If a movie costs $20 for 2 hours of content, $60 for 15-60+ hours of content is a steal.

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tarakun

I bought Street Fighter 4 on the PC the week it came out, kind of in the hopes that it will mean more fighting games on the PC.  

Also; Special Edition too, which for me is unprecedented, but man.... fightpads are pretty awesome.  

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By sixghost
    @Romination said:
    " it's people like you who are hurting the industry "
    lol, fuck off.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shirogane
    @AndrewB:
    You were probably asking for it, if you bought that at full price. 

I don't tend to buy games at full price very often, unlesss it's something really awesome i want, then i'll preorder it, if there's bonuses or something for preordering i guess. Otherwise i'll just go grab a copy from somewhere on the day. Most recent game i can think of is Darksiders, and i was not disappointed, well worth it. Spore however...was not.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Coombs

I rarely pay full price, I like to wait a couple months.
    But I have already put in my pre-order for JUST CAUSE 2

crona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crona

I'm pretty sure that the lowering of prices are a combination of a lower price for the retailer, and trying to free up extra space. I think most significant price drops you see are probably the publisher biting the bullet and lowering their price in hopes of one last hurrah for the the game. 

There are definitely some games that I don't buy right away because of money concerns, but it's not because I'm waiting for the price to drop, I just don't have the money to throw around. I buy the game once I have the money, at a discount or not. I think it's fine for moms or kids who can't afford games to wait for the prices to come down, but to be the average gamer and wait for the prices to come down is sort of off-putting. I won't hold it against you, but people who always try to get ahead of everyone else annoy me.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strife777

I always pay full price for a game, unless it's games I consider that I missed (I intend to buy Dead Space soon enough, for example). I even tend to pay more than most, because I'm the kind of guy who puts money on collector's editions for every game I buy. I just need to get all that stuff for some reason, it's my addiction.

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DBrim
    @Crona: Well put, I suppose.  I wouldn't say that I'm waiting because I'm "trying to get ahead of  everyone else", just that I'm trying to conserve money, due to somewhat complicated circumstances between college and work.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Romination

It's just simply less revenue.
    I also don't get the logic. If you really want a game, shouldn't you be willing to pay for it?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @sixghost said:

" @Romination said:

" it's people like you who are hurting the industry "
    lol, fuck off. "
    Yeah dude, you should write a book about that.  You could donate your earnings to Activision. 
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coombs
    @Romination said:
    " It's just simply less revenue. I also don't get the logic. If you really want a game, shouldn't you be willing to pay for it? "
    that's the problem with being broke......
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AndrewB
    @Shirogane: You're right : \

I don't know what came over me. I just needed it really quickly and ended up splurging at retail. That game rarely drops in price anywhere close to launch, so I wasn't going to get a much better deal, regardless.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Romination
    @Coombs said:
    " @Romination said:
    " It's just simply less revenue. I also don't get the logic. If you really want a game, shouldn't you be willing to pay for it? "
    that's the problem with being broke...... "
    That's an understandable argument. But he doesn't say that, he says he has a rule. And that's what I just don't get.

Though I could be making an error in judgment in thinking that he's not hurting for money. There IS a war economy going on.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz
    I paid 400$ for modern warfare 2 special edition xbox360.  I don't play mw2 anymore....
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

I pretty much buy everything at full price.  

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DBrim
    @Romination said:
    " @Coombs said:
    " @Romination said:
    That's an understandable argument. But he doesn't say that, he says he has a rule. And that's what I just don't get.  Though I could be making an error in judgment in thinking that he's not hurting for money. There IS a war economy going on. "
    Two words: College student. 

Well, kind of.  I work full time for six months out of the year, and then spend six in school.  However, this is my last working period until after I graduate next year, so I'm trying to save all of the money I can.  I'm in enough debt already.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Romination
    @DBrim: Gotcha. So it's not a snooty rule, it's a helpful guideline. Sorry for starting shit, but i just had a bad leap of logic. I'm also in college and $30 for Miles Edgeworth is like extortion.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By sixghost
    @Romination said:
    " @Coombs said:
    " @Romination said:
    That's an understandable argument. But he doesn't say that, he says he has a rule. And that's what I just don't get.  Though I could be making an error in judgment in thinking that he's not hurting for money. There IS a war economy going on. "

Unless I really misunderstood his motivation for not buying stuff at $60, I really don't think he's not buying stuff Day 1 out of some kind of protest against game prices. It's just a really really bad habit to have. Even buying a game every 2 months will run you a ton of month run you quite a bit, and I think 6 new games a year is pretty below average for most gamers.

I try to keep to pretty much the same rule. The new release hype machine is a dangerous thing. I can't even begin to think about how many games I've bought the first week of release after watching trailers, reading previews, review, etc. then regretting it after the fact. Not only does it help you steer clear of the piles of shit that get snuffed out after everyone has played it, but it saves you a ton of money in the long run if you have some patience. Also buying shit on black friday helps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If I want a game and feel as if the developers wont get great sales but deserve it, then sure I will pay full price. However, I will go onto amazon and see if I can get 5$ off or so, which isnt a huge deal for the developers but it will save me a few bucks which is always welcome. I never buy used, unless they stopped making the game I want or if I dont know if I will want to keep it. I would definitely pay full price for Heavy Rain (if I had a PS3), its games like these I support, the ones who show they dont play it safe, and show us gamers something different.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#29  Edited By JackiJinx

I did twice last year for Scribblenauts and Brutal Legend. 

Yeah.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Adamantium

Mine's like the opposite. I prefer to support the developers so my rule is to buy new, but I bought Resistance 2 and Red Faction both used. I actually don't regret getting Red Faction used (didn't like it much), but I felt bad getting R2 that way.

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DBrim
    @Romination said:
    " @DBrim: Gotcha. So it's not a snooty rule, it's a helpful guideline. Sorry for starting shit, but i just had a bad leap of logic. I'm also in college and $30 for Miles Edgeworth is like extortion. "
    No worries, dude.  I enjoy a good discussion.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By davidwitten22

I rarely buy games at full price because I don't have the money to pay $60 for a bunch of games. It doesn't mean that I don't support the developers because I didn't pay $60 for it, it means I'm a smart buyer.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By TheHT

demons souls. damn thing was 70 bucks when most other games new games are around 50-60 bucks.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @trophyhunter said:

" @AndrewB said:

" @FartyMcNarly: I'm no retail expert, but doesn't the retailer initially buy the game at a set price and eat the profit for any price they set lower? If it doesn't affect the publisher directly, I definitely wouldn't be against it.  Also, I tend to hate to wait too, but there are still good deals to be found even at a game's launch. I snagged Mass Effect 2 for the 360 for $46 just days after it came out. Definitely worth the insignificant wait to me. "
    developer also gets a share of what the store sells it for. "
    Wut.  Developer gets paid by the Publisher, the Publisher pays for the packaging and distribution.  The Retailer buys from the Publisher's distribution reseller network, usually consisting of large scale warehousing companies like Ingram Micro.  The retailer never deals directly with the Developer.  If you're talking back end percentages (which I'm sure you have no idea of) then that's something worked out between the Developer and the Publisher and is paid by the Publisher to the Developer.
    Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I always pay full price only because I can afford it.  If I were in a worse situation I would wait for discounts or whatever.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By c1337us

I don't have rules about buying games. I buy the games I want when I want them at the best price. That usually involves paying full price. Unless I am game hunting from the used section or taking advantage of store sales.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rockdalf
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @AndrewB said:

developer also gets a share of what the store sells it for. "
    Wut.  Developer gets paid by the Publisher, the Publisher pays for the packaging and distribution.  The Retailer buys from the Publisher's distribution reseller network, usually consisting of large scale warehousing companies like Ingram Micro.  The retailer never deals directly with the Developer.  If you're talking back end percentages (which I'm sure you have no idea of) then that's something worked out between the Developer and the Publisher and is paid by the Publisher to the Developer. "
    Besides, it's not like we're at the front door clawing at them to lower the prices.  They lower the prices because it's a financially sound decision for them, not just us.  I have a few titles I buy at full price, some when they go on the cheap and most I just rent.  If it's hurting the industry that bad for them to sell me the game at that  price, I guess they better not drop it 20 dollars or so.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I'm not sure what the shelf life is for full priced games these days (it's been a long time since I was directly involved at the sales level) but it used to be 6-8weeks.  After that the retailer generally lowers the price because the publisher has in turn lowered price and so the retailers sell the products which are left at the marked down price and reorder the new batch at the lowered cost.  It's all part of keeping the channels flowing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.