Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

LA Noire vs. Heavy Rain

XelaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By XelaO

I never got around to picking up Heavy Rain when it first came out; the acting in the demo didn't appeal to me and there seemed to be a lot of glitches. LA Noire on the other hand, I picked up day one; it seemed like it accomplished what Heavy Rain only wished it could. The acting was top-notch, and the faces didn't look like robots, they looked real. Then I played it. I liked it a lot, but I had this nagging feeling the whole time I was playing that the entire thing was just an elaborate illusion, and as soon as I started to look below the surface the mirage would vanish and I'd be left with linearity disguising itself as flexibility. I don't hate linear games, in fact sometimes the more open games are just too much of a commitment for me, but LA Noire is a game that appears to be open, and feels like it should be open, but it really isn't. For me to have fun with LA Noire, I had to role play. I had to pretend the possibilities were endless, because to care at all about the moment to moment detective work I had to feel like the clues and the connections were being uncovered as a reuslt of my own ingenuity, not a result of the repeated sequence of easily dissected tasks.  And while I played, I had a lot of fun.

Then I decided to finally play Heavy Rain, and I was blown away. The acting still wasn't to my taste, and I ran into a few glitches, but the level of choice I had, and the natural way I fell into the various roles I was assigned, felt like the true realization of a detective story videogame. LA Noire failed because of its linearity. The existence of a "game over" screen, and the constant fear that I will get a question "wrong," makes each choice not a decision that I make based on my true feelings, but a choice dependent on what I think the game wants me to choose. Heavy Rain is able to exist both as a game with clear motives and objectives for the player, and also a mirror reflecting your own traits back at you. Even if you don't play the game as an extension of your own choices, you will play the characters almost as different roles that you, the actor, are portraying. How you want the story to go says a lot about the kind of person you are, the kind of narratives you enjoy.

When Ethan learns Madison is a reporter, and screams at her for her betrayal, she pleads with him and tries to explain herself. We are then allowed to choose if we want to forgive her or not. I wanted to forgive her. I wanted to make things work. I believed her. But I could have not believed her. I could have decided she had betrayed Ethan, that in that moment Ethan would feel so hurt he could not forgive her. In LA Noire, one of these choices would be "right." Either Madison is telling us the truth, or she isn't.

In Heavy Rain either choice is right. But really, neither is right. There's not going to be a sound cue to let you know after the fact, the choice just is, and the only consequences are narrative ones.

I realize these games were trying to do different things, so to say one succeeded over the other is like saying apples are far superior apples than oranges are. But for me, when I played LA Noire, Heavy Rain was the experience I didn't know I really wanted instead. LA Noire insists on telling its own story.

We can't control any of that. And in the end I felt detached from him and the story. I didn't really like Cole. He didn't make the decisions I wanted him to, and he made mistakes I wouldn't have let him make. It didn't matter how real his facial animation looked, I didn't feel connected to him. The characters in Heavy Rain on the other hand, with their wooden performances and uncanny valleys, felt like my own creations. While Heavy Rain has its own illusions and the possibilities to choose from are never infinite, it hides its strings far more effectively than LA Noire does. And I think that's what made the difference for me. It felt real.

XelaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By XelaO

I never got around to picking up Heavy Rain when it first came out; the acting in the demo didn't appeal to me and there seemed to be a lot of glitches. LA Noire on the other hand, I picked up day one; it seemed like it accomplished what Heavy Rain only wished it could. The acting was top-notch, and the faces didn't look like robots, they looked real. Then I played it. I liked it a lot, but I had this nagging feeling the whole time I was playing that the entire thing was just an elaborate illusion, and as soon as I started to look below the surface the mirage would vanish and I'd be left with linearity disguising itself as flexibility. I don't hate linear games, in fact sometimes the more open games are just too much of a commitment for me, but LA Noire is a game that appears to be open, and feels like it should be open, but it really isn't. For me to have fun with LA Noire, I had to role play. I had to pretend the possibilities were endless, because to care at all about the moment to moment detective work I had to feel like the clues and the connections were being uncovered as a reuslt of my own ingenuity, not a result of the repeated sequence of easily dissected tasks.  And while I played, I had a lot of fun.

Then I decided to finally play Heavy Rain, and I was blown away. The acting still wasn't to my taste, and I ran into a few glitches, but the level of choice I had, and the natural way I fell into the various roles I was assigned, felt like the true realization of a detective story videogame. LA Noire failed because of its linearity. The existence of a "game over" screen, and the constant fear that I will get a question "wrong," makes each choice not a decision that I make based on my true feelings, but a choice dependent on what I think the game wants me to choose. Heavy Rain is able to exist both as a game with clear motives and objectives for the player, and also a mirror reflecting your own traits back at you. Even if you don't play the game as an extension of your own choices, you will play the characters almost as different roles that you, the actor, are portraying. How you want the story to go says a lot about the kind of person you are, the kind of narratives you enjoy.

When Ethan learns Madison is a reporter, and screams at her for her betrayal, she pleads with him and tries to explain herself. We are then allowed to choose if we want to forgive her or not. I wanted to forgive her. I wanted to make things work. I believed her. But I could have not believed her. I could have decided she had betrayed Ethan, that in that moment Ethan would feel so hurt he could not forgive her. In LA Noire, one of these choices would be "right." Either Madison is telling us the truth, or she isn't.

In Heavy Rain either choice is right. But really, neither is right. There's not going to be a sound cue to let you know after the fact, the choice just is, and the only consequences are narrative ones.

I realize these games were trying to do different things, so to say one succeeded over the other is like saying apples are far superior apples than oranges are. But for me, when I played LA Noire, Heavy Rain was the experience I didn't know I really wanted instead. LA Noire insists on telling its own story.

We can't control any of that. And in the end I felt detached from him and the story. I didn't really like Cole. He didn't make the decisions I wanted him to, and he made mistakes I wouldn't have let him make. It didn't matter how real his facial animation looked, I didn't feel connected to him. The characters in Heavy Rain on the other hand, with their wooden performances and uncanny valleys, felt like my own creations. While Heavy Rain has its own illusions and the possibilities to choose from are never infinite, it hides its strings far more effectively than LA Noire does. And I think that's what made the difference for me. It felt real.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I thought LA Noire was ok. I thought Heavy Rain was worse than shit.

antoniocmf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By antoniocmf
    @TheSeductiveMoose: LA Noire was a great game for me , but I don't agree with you about Heavy rain  , ok that Heavy rain is a weird game but its more like a movie than a game....you make your own way to the end  , and the history is awesome....for me heavy rain its a great game too.
    Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maajin

Here's a list of my thoughts on the matter:

I liked both games but preferred Heavy Rain.

I'm usually satisfied if the game gives me the illusion that I'm making a choice at the first time I'm playing, even though I may not be. If I choose to play again and realize that was a fake choice, I don't feel very disappointed because it's like I'm asking the magician to show me his secrets.

I played both games multiple times to get a platinum trophy, and each time made me like them less and less, however I still have fond memories of a LOT of moments in Heavy Rain, and very very few of L.A. Noire.

Heavy Rain as a terribly flawed story, weird pacing and some really bad acting. That said, the quality of L.A. Noire's cases is very inconsistent, the action bits are completely out of place and unecessary, the main mechanic of interviewing is way too flawed and the game is filled with anticlimatic moments.

I wasn't able to really like Cole Phelps nor any of the four main characters in Heavy Rain. I enjoyed Scott Shelby throughout most of the game, but then... well, you know.

Still, I would rather see another Heavy Rain (or other game with the same trappings) than another L.A. Noire.

protomessiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By protomessiah

I completely agree, Heavy Rain was a far more engrossing experience. While it has its problems I was so interested in the story that it tells and the characters. LA Noire was badly paced and had inconsistent case quality. I was enjoying LA Noire all the same until you reach the vice cases and then I thought the game fell apart.

antoniocmf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By antoniocmf
    @theplatypus: Yeah , what you said it's true , I have never thought about that....
    BigBrobawski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BigBrobawski

I hated L.A. Noire, it seemed tedious and I did the same things over and over again. I haven't picked Heavy Rain up yet, I want to. I just purchased a PS3 and am looking forward to it.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By shivermetimbers

Heavy Rain had a hilarious cheesiness to it that added unintended comedy to the melodramatic story. If I were to have actually taken it seriously, I would've hated it.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By jacdg

@protomessiah said:

I completely agree, Heavy Rain was a far more engrossing experience. While it has its problems I was so interested in the story that it tells and the characters. LA Noire was badly paced and had inconsistent case quality. I was enjoying LA Noire all the same until you reach the vice cases and then I thought the game fell apart.

I agree 100%, maybe it was because I took a break with the game around the Vice stuff, because I wanted to play all the DLC before finishing the main story, I really wished it ended with a cool case like homocide did, at that point I felt like the game was one of the best I'd played in a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.