Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

So, I think I'm Going to Import A Non-English Version for Audio

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

After trying this out, I came to realize it's nothing more than a fancy adventure game I've been playing from Japanese devs...and after heavily playing Shibuya 428, I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English.  

How can a Western game have such bad voice acting?  

So, my main debate is if I pick up a Japanese or French version...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>

What say you lot?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

I thought the voice acting was pretty good and you just change the spoken language from the options menu. 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I think I am sticking to English. I would rather put up with bad voice acting then voice acting I can't understand.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I agree, the voice acting is terrible and that's not good for a game like Heavy Rain where conversation and talking is key. I highly doubt they'd make a British speaking version though :P

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Ashwyn

I have to agree that the voice acting in the demo was horrendous.

It reminded me of Magna Carta 2 for some reason :/..

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English. ...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
    What the FUCK "
    I really don't like the voice acting for this...I dunno, maybe it's just me...but man, it just isn't hitting a good note with me.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gregomasta

Are subtitles included?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trophyhunter
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @KaosAngel: I found the voice acting perfectly fine, it wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad. All other languages will be just as bad if not worse, and an English version would have the same VO as the American one, as it's meant to be set in America (I think), and the cost would be wasteful. "
    I actually thought there was good deal of passion or feeling in the voice acting.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

For 428, what does it have? Do you recommend it for someone learning Japanese? I assume it has kanji with no furigana, because it definitely isn't Zelda. That being said... the learning factor? Does it exist?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Fallen189

Jesus.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " For 428, what does it have? Do you recommend it for someone learning Japanese? I assume it has kanji with no furigana, because it definitely isn't Zelda. That being said... the learning factor? Does it exist? "
    If you got a buddy to help you out, then it's easily do-able.  At the time, my girlfriend got the game for herself and we played it together on that fancy console that uses that remote.  It's kinda really heavy on Japanese, but it depends on how much you know...and how much you're willing to learn.  if your katakana/hiragana are fine, and your vocal is conversational, and basic kanji is do-able...then this game is totally worth it.

Never tried it for PS3, so don't know anything about that version.  I should pick it up for the trophies though.  x.x  

Also, someone PMed me and reminded me that first party Sony games are on a BD and almost always have full language support.  So French version it is...or Japanese, or hopefully I get used to this English cast.  >.>
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88

The French voice acting is just as bad. Or at least it sounded as unconvincing in the demo.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @KaosAngel: Thanks for the info, I might try it out. I don't think my Japanese is all that good, but I can read hiragana, katakana, and some kanji (depends). I think it would be a good resource perhaps. As long as it isn't complex I  could try.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Vinchenzo said:

" @KaosAngel: Thanks for the info, I might try it out. I don't think my Japanese is all that good, but I can read hiragana, katakana, and some kanji (depends). I think it would be a good resource perhaps. As long as it isn't complex I  could try. "

Find a translation guide and don't read too far ahead or else you'll screw yourself over with spoilers.  It's kinda a game you shouldn't read ahead...but rather watch and then read.  >.>
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Binman88 said:
    " The French voice acting is just as bad. Or at least it sounded as unconvincing in the demo. "
    How can they screw up the voice acting so bad?!  I mean, it's kinda a big deal with a game like this!  The game's been in development since early 2006...god damn.  Just hire that guy who did the voice in Uncharted 2 for all the male leads.
    Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jrad

Voice acting one can't understand is usually better than shoddy VA.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By trophyhunter
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Vinchenzo said:

" For 428, what does it have? Do you recommend it for someone learning Japanese? I assume it has kanji with no furigana, because it definitely isn't Zelda. That being said... the learning factor? Does it exist? "
    If you got a buddy to help you out, then it's easily do-able.  At the time, my girlfriend got the game for herself and we played it together on that fancy console that uses that remote.  It's kinda really heavy on Japanese, but it depends on how much you know...and how much you're willing to learn.  if your katakana/hiragana are fine, and your vocal is conversational, and basic kanji is do-able...then this game is totally worth it.  Never tried it for PS3, so don't know anything about that version.  I should pick it up for the trophies though.  x.x    Also, someone PMed me and reminded me that first party Sony games are on a BD and almost always have full language support.  So French version it is...or Japanese, or hopefully I get used to this English cast.  >.> "
    ALL PS3 games are on blueray not just first party ones.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @trophyhunter said:
    "ALL PS3 games are on blueray not just first party ones. "
    What I meant to say was that I forgot that BDs can hold all the langauges.  >.>
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By trophyhunter
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    "ALL PS3 games are on blueray not just first party ones. "
    What I meant to say was that I forgot that BDs can hold all the langauges.  >.> "
    ok then carry on
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @KaosAngel: Translation guide? In English, do you mean? I imagine I'd want to do that myself to practice my Japanese and learn new words.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vitor
    @KaosAngel:

I just played the demo and I could freely switch between English, German, French, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Italian audio just by going into the start menu - it sucks that there's no Japanese as I study that at uni and would love the practice but you wouldn't need to import a different version as I doubt they'd change this feature in the full release (you can literally change languages mid conversation).

Be warned though, while the German and French ones actually sound really good (I hated the english voice for the FBI agent although Shelby and the hooker were done really well I thought) there is a lip syncing issue - the game was clearly developed with English in mind, despite being made by a French developer so it won't always be perfect. I noticed this while playing it in portuguese (I'm Brazilian) - a lot of talking when lips weren't moving and trying to fit extra syllables into a line.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NinjaHunter

Yeah the bad american accents can be a little off putting and I feel that some of the performances are a bit stiff, at least some of the stuff in the demo is. But I don't like having to read subtitles in a game, I'm fine with it in movies but during a game sometimes you would have to split your attention between what you're doing and reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. That would ruin the experience more, at least to me.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @KaosAngel: Pretty sure Quantic Dream is a French developer.  Just saying.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jkz

Thank GOD I'm not the only one who thought the voice-acting was poor. The game is still intriguing to me, but DAMN some of those people sounded stiff as hell.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By FCKSNAP

I'll play it in English for the bad voice acting thank you. Played the first Getaway in Spanish and it was hella dumb too. 

Also, everyone should watch Superbad in Spanish and French, the way they change up the jokes is hilarious in and of itself.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By CoinMatze

Okay, so the game is set in the US but the English voice-acting is bad. It's a French game but the French voice-acting is bad, too. German is my first language but I sure as hell am not gonna play it like that because German VO is the worst. I think I'll just mute the voices, turn on the subtitles, invite some friends over and have them read the lines while I play.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @KaosAngel said:
    " After trying this out, I came to realize it's nothing more than a fancy adventure game I've been playing from Japanese devs...and after heavily playing Shibuya 428, I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English.    How can a Western game have such bad voice acting?    So, my main debate is if I pick up a Japanese or French version...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
    No such thing as a British version.
    Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Mayu_Zane

The only character with a good English voice actor in the game is Scott Shelby.

He sounds world-weary, and obviously had spent some time smoking. However, there's also a kind of mature gentleness in his voice when he's trying to be friendly.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By makari

English voice acting for Japanese games is bad because they generally mimic the style of Japanese voice actors, which are archetypal and one dimensional to the core. The voice acting in a Japanese version won't be any better, it'll just sounds cooler.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "I'm pretty much leaning on getting a version that isn't in English. ...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "
    What the FUCK "
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Cube
    @makari said:
    " English voice acting for Japanese games is bad because they generally mimic the style of Japanese voice actors, which are archetypal and one dimensional to the core. The voice acting in a Japanese version won't any better, it'll just sounds cooler. "
    This.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nekroskop

What, Swedish? Man, now I got to play this demo. 
    Reminds me of what they did to Rachet and Clank: Future, I thought I was hallucinating when I heard Rachet speak Norwegian.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buzz_clik
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Find a translation guide and don't read too far ahead or else you'll screw yourself over with spoilers.  It's kinda a game you shouldn't read ahead...but rather watch and then read.  >.> "
    Personally, I wouldn't think wading through pages of dry text is better than hearing voice over, regardless of the quality of the acting.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Red12b

I don't know whether you are taking the piss or not.

Kaos, you make me confuzzled, But you know that don't you.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By juice8367
    @xyzygy said:
     I highly doubt they'd make a British speaking version though :P "
    This
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Snail

The voice acting in this game is pretty darn good. 

What the fuck are you on about?

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#39  Edited By RelentlessKnight
    @KaosAngel said:

So, my main debate is if I pick up a Japanese or French version...or maybe a British version if it has new Voice Actors.  >.>  What say you lot? "

The British version? There's another language besides English in Britain?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.