Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 08, 2017

A horror themed action-adventure game from Ninja Theory.

Hellblade made profit by selling 500k copies

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

I'm sure it's not easy, but I really hope some big developers/publisher take a look at this and try to follow along. For a game that looks like it's a big budget title to be considered a success with those numbers (think the exact number for it to become profitable was even lower, like 300k...and it only came out digitally and on two platforms), is a pretty stark contrast to something like Tomb Raider that was considered a failure with it's 3-4 million sales.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well! this is heartening to hear, especially given the atypical subject matter AND pricing model.

always great to hear devs take positive risks and have them survive to take more!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

That is really great to hear. Hellblade was a really cool experience and, while I didn't love all of it, I'm super happy it took risks and was rewarded for it.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By damodar

Glad to see this pay off, hopefully shows it has some viability as a business model!

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sravankb

@thatpinguino said:

That is really great to hear. Hellblade was a really cool experience and, while I didn't love all of it, I'm super happy it took risks and was rewarded for it.

Same.

I'll actually say that I didn't like the game as a whole, but I'm glad it exists and that it was successful.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love when developers are being transparent about their game's development and financial success. It wasn't my favorite Ninja Theory game, but I loved the visuals and combat.

Glad to hear that they can keep on making what they want.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

I love that a single player game was able to turn a profit in the age of "every game has to be a service" mandates from a number of major publishers. It keeps my faith alive for more unique narrative games from AAA studios.

@sravankb: What was your issue with the game? I thought it was a little too long and the combat was frustrating in spots, but I liked the visuals and a bunch of the perspective puzzles. And I thought the storytelling was top-notch.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm suprised it sold so little, i thought it would have cracked a mill at least. That said i still haven't gotten around to getting it, but i have to be on a budget atm lol.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

I'm sure it's not easy, but I really hope some big developers/publisher take a look at this and try to follow along. For a game that looks like it's a big budget title to be considered a success with those numbers (think the exact number for it to become profitable was even lower, like 300k...and it only came out digitally and on two platforms), is a pretty stark contrast to something like Tomb Raider that was considered a failure with it's 3-4 million sales.

That's sort of a "good" thing from a big publishers perspective though. They'd rather invest and fail with a game that's projected to sell 10 millions than invest and succeed with a game projected to sell 2. Anyone will eventually end up investing in a dud from time to time, but as long as they keep a fairly high success rate they'll make way money going for the bigger bets.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also happy they're getting a profit from this game. It was definitely not a safe bet considering it's subject matter and style. I wouldn't mind this leading to more games with this price/quality/length ratio.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! I'm glad I bought it at full price on PS4. I really enjoyed it

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whitegreyblack

That's great news! Hopefully now they'll think about a physical release of Hellblade for those of us who prefer to support them that way.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bybeach

@oursin_360 said:

I'm suprised it sold so little, i thought it would have cracked a mill at least. That said i still haven't gotten around to getting it, but i have to be on a budget atm lol.

Everybody knew this wasn't Big Cool Dude Action game...well, it's some kind of action game I guess. To many people this would look a little off the beaten path, though I am not referring to posters here by and large. I bought the game, I have yet to play it. But if Steam has it's winter sale (after this Thursday I hope, but I may be wrong?) I've got Horizon in my sights, least as a big game.

EDIT; This game does appeal to me though. Waiting for a slow-down, and also to pay attention to where it goes.

DOUBLE EDIT; Ain't no Horizon on steam fool. :(

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By whitegreyblack

@oursin_360 said:

I think this shows how out of whack the ridiculous sales expectations of publishers are, and how it's affected what game enthusiasts think is a "success". Selling half a million of anything is pretty damn spectacular!

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats great, Hellblade is one hell of a game (hehe).

It for sure has a amazing narrative and graphics. The devs deserve all the praise.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

I need to start this over and try to play it straight through in 1 or 2 sittings with headphones and a dimly lit room, I feel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I was glad to hear this news and can't wait for what they'll do next

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sravankb

@thatpinguino said:

@sravankb: What was your issue with the game? I thought it was a little too long and the combat was frustrating in spots, but I liked the visuals and a bunch of the perspective puzzles. And I thought the storytelling was top-notch.

What it usually comes down to for games like this - the gameplay.

- I didn't like the combat. I've played slow and heavy, animation-priority games like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, and something about this game's combat just felt tedious. It never really felt rewarding or worthy of having slower combat.

- Didn't like the perspective puzzles. I've never appreciated the idea of pixel-hunting as a mechanic. It's not mentally rewarding to me; I want actual puzzles (think Portal, Braid, Witness, etc.)

And unfortunately, that's all there is to the gameplay in Hellblade. I'd love to play games like this if they combine good / interesting storytelling with good gameplay. Unfortunately, they only got it half-right, which is too often the case with story-focused titles. It'd be especially great if the story was told through gameplay mechanics.

A game that got that right, IMO - was Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps some developers should consider that their single player games are overdeveloped and bloated, instead of simply blaming customer for not wanting story-centric games.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

500k is actually quite a lot for a game about mental illness that doesn't have much of a marketing budget.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's cool. I like Ninja Theory and I'm glad they took a risk with developing this game and it paid off for them. I haven't got around to it yet, but I will when I take some time off for the holidays.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

This is good and the way quality single player games are sort of destined to head.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Humanity

I'm glad they made money on it and good on 'em for tackling such a hard issue with appropriate depth and dedication, but man was this not an especially "fun" or even "enjoyable" game to actually play.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got a $20 PS credit code from sony rewards.

It's tempting to put it towards hellblade but with black friday sales, I could get the evil within 2 right now for 10 dollars.

Hellblade is gonna stay 30 so it'll have to wait. Can't wait to play it though.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news!

Especially in the current climate. Might deal a blow to the narrative that you can't make a profit with a linear single player story game. Looking at you EA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.