Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heroes of the Storm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 02, 2015

Heroes from Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Overwatch, and other universes are summoned to the Nexus for five-on-five combat in Blizzard's take on the MOBA genre.

HOTS Giant Bomb voice chat channel thing? (Discord server)

Encynerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Encynerate

Hey all, after hearing Brad mention it in the HOTS quick look (or was it the bombcast?) I decided to sign up for a Discord voice chat server.

If you're not familiar, it's a kind of like Slack or Lync or any other chat/voice chat solution, but it's free so that's nice. Anyway, the link to join the server is below.

I think you need to sign up for an account but aside from that it's pretty straightforward. If you guys like it I'll keep it around and open for a bit

Here's the link: https://discord.gg/0T5CRLEy3dwQk4ay

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By TheMasterDS

Ugh, I hate that in the Heroes scene (and I guess other MOBAs as well) there's always a new voice client. I think everyone should just stay with Curse and not jump ship every 3 months to something new.

I hope that they hurry up and implement Party Voice Chat quick so we can stop with all the 3rd party app garbage. Fucking sick of them. I also hope they put enough features into the in game chat so that everyone agrees to just use it. Even just a simple "show the player name and hero name of who's talking" could be enough.

Encynerate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Encynerate

@themasterds: I know, I know. Honestly I'm sort of hoping they get that community/voice chat stuff implemented sooner rather than later

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Discord is a great service. I use it a lot to stay in contact with Final Fantasy XIV peoples.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Thuggish

@themasterds: I like how you said, ".. everyone should just stay with Curse...", like that's a thing that "everyone" does. You're, honestly, the first person I've seen mention actually using it.

With that said, I agree with the sentiment. I've used Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Skype, Google Hangouts and Mumble over the last few years; every time I meet new people playing random games it seems they're using something different.

After hearing Brad mention Discord in the stream, though, I went to check it out because it actually sounded kind of great. This is the first time in a long time that I've been kind of excited about a new chat client for gaming... I like that it supports text and voice with the ability to just give someone a link to join in quickly (no download required). Here's to hoping it's actually the client to end all others (for a few years at least).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@thuggish said:

@themasterds: I like how you said, ".. everyone should just stay with Curse...", like that's a thing that "everyone" does. You're, honestly, the first person I've seen mention actually using it.

Same here! I don't know a single person that uses Curse Voice either. Well, now I do I guess.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is great. I was in the chat channel last night and everyone was like "Man we need voice chat" and BOOM!

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By TheMasterDS

@Mike: It's possible there's just small circles of people and everyone just happens to use this app or that and it all depends on who you run into who wants to voice chat. Usually I just don't bother. I prefer to roll with 1 or 2 anyway and just wing it and have fun.

Anyway, since I guess this'll be the Giant Bomb official until Blizzard makes an official one since it was mentioned in the QL I'll grab it. Grumble grumble. It's on iOS devices so that's good, I can use my iPad to manage the comms without doing any alt tabby nonsense.

Edit: Eh? Not on iOS App Store. *Checks page* Oh I see, no download required. So it uses a web browser and can use an iOS one if you like. Well shit, that's pretty solid.

vegeta897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@themasterds: When you're searching for apps on the iPad, by default the filter is set to "iPad Only". Discord is not on the iPad, but you can get the iPhone version. Or just run it in the browser if that works better for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.