Heroes Over Europe is a World War II flight sim developed by Transmission Games (formerly called IR Gurus). The game is a sequel to 2005's cult hit Heroes of the Pacific. The game's core mechanics will remain the same as Heroes of the Pacific, beside the natural refinements that the team has made. The campaign takes places over Europe this time, and you will take part in missions like defending the White Cliffs of Dover from German bombers, high altitude bombing runs, and dropping tank busters in the rugged and snowy Ardennes. The main difference this time will be the authenticity of the game which can easily be seen in its damage system.
Each plane is painstakingly modeled to make bullets have realistic effects when they hit certain parts of the plane. You will see tracers ripping holes through airfoils, if your wings ammo box is hit then it will ignite and most likely blow your wing off, and a hit to your fuel tank is one example of what the team is calling 'Ace Kill'. An Ace Kill is accomplished whenever bullets come into direct contact with the engine, fuel tank (which will instantly cause the plane to explode), or the pilot and will result in a one-hit kill.
Transmission Games is working hard to make this the most realistic World War II flight sim on the market. They have been able to access many kill clips taken by gun-mounted cameras from planes during World War II and have used the data to make sure you get as close of an experience to the real Heroes Over Europe as possible. They have even sent their sound engineer up in a restored P-51 Mustang to take sound clips while the Mustang was performing evasive dogfight maneuvers like barrel rolls to get authentic engine sounds. Multiplayer is also a large focus in the sequel. The most significant new mode is called Conquest. In Conquest, bombers and fighters will have to work together in tandem to destroy the enemy bases. Multiplayer supports 16 players and still has classic modes like Dogfight and Team Dogfight (essentially Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch). Transmission Games has already promised post-release support for Heroes Over Europe through DLC, but no specifics on what the DLC will contain has been revealed.
- OS: Windows® XP/Windows Vista® (only)
- Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ X2 3800 (Intel Core® 2 6400 or AMD Athlon X2 4400 recommended)
- Memory: 1 GB Windows XP (2 GB recommended)/2 GB Windows Vista (4 GB recommended)
- Graphics: 256 MB video card with Shader model 3.0 (*see supported list)
- DirectX®: DirectX version 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 9 GB free
- Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
- Peripherals Supported: Keyboard, USB controllers, USB flight sticks
- Multiplayer: 128kbps Broadband connection (256kbps or faster Broadband recommended)
Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
- NVIDIA® GeForce® 6800 / 7 / 8 / 9 series
- ATI® RADEON® X1600-1950 / HD 2000-4000 series
- Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. For the most up-to-date minimum requirement listings, please visit the FAQ for this game on our support website at: http://support.ubi.com.
- NVIDIA nForce™ or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio.