Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hideki Kamiya

Person » credited in 19 games

The creator of the Devil May Cry franchise. Also the director of Resident Evil 2, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101, and Scalebound.

Hideki Kamiya calls out Kotaku on being garbage.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By DoctorWelch

@OllyOxenFree said:

@DoctorWelch said:

Writing about video games is such a stupid business.

Depends on who is doing the writing. There are wonderful articles and then there are asinine sensationalist articles.

I'm speaking more as a whole. There are some interesting things happening here or there, but most of the stuff is just plain bad or trying too hard to be taken seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Although he's right about Kotaku, Hideki Kamiya does sounds pretty clueless. Not caring about Valve/PC could haunt him over the next decade. Writing an article based on someone's personal tweets is just poor journalism.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By wjb

"Do you eat shit?" Game. Set. Match.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By McGhee

That guy is such an asshole. I love it. Such the opposite from the usual overly polite Japanese.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Animasta

@ProfessorEss said:

Two knobs are bickering on the internet! Standard procedure people, you all know the drill!

Quickly, pick yer side and pretend the one you like is not acting like a child.

finally someone with the right answer.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Heck yeah, has anybody tweeted Kamiya about his thoughts of the new DMC game?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By EuanDewar

This guy kinda seems like a prick.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ghost_cat

Man, this day keeps getting better and better. THANKS WORLD.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By Zippedbinders

@TobbRobb said:

@AlexW00d: Kamiya is Grandmaster Bro, creator of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Okami and Vanquish!

I love the dude <3

Vanquish was Shinji Mikami. RE2, Viewtiful Joe, and the Wonderful 101 are other Kamiya games.

Also, goddamn, I love how cranky Kamiya is, this stuff is gold.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By mordukai

@wewantsthering said:

Writing an article based on someone's personal tweets is just poor journalism.

I wouldn't call it poor journalism because it's got the word "journalism" in it. It's just poor. Kotaku is plain shit.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mpgeist

I hate everything Gawker and love Kamiya, so this made my day.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Nottle

@TobbRobb said:

@AlexW00d: Kamiya is Grandmaster Bro, creator of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Okami and Vanquish!

I love the dude <3

He didn't work on Vanquish, that was Shinji Mikami. However along with the other games you mentioned Kamiya did work on Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 2. His stuff is pretty great.

@wewantsthering said:

Although he's right about Kotaku, Hideki Kamiya does sounds pretty clueless. Not caring about Valve/PC could haunt him over the next decade. Writing an article based on someone's personal tweets is just poor journalism.

I think whenever people tweet him about putting games on other platforms it is out of his control. Sega or someone at Platinum like Inaba could make it happen, but not Kamiya.

Spaceyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Spaceyoghurt

Assholes to assholes.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Ghostiet

I love this. I also loved Jaffe slamming Kuchera and Kotaku after they ran that piece about his sexist remark when talking about Twisted Metal.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By laserbolts

Kimaya is behaving like a total douche and kotaku is kotaku. Who cares?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By TobbRobb

@Nottle: Yup, my bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nottle said:

@wewantsthering said:

I think whenever people tweet him about putting games on other platforms it is out of his control. Sega or someone at Platinum like Inaba could make it happen, but not Kamiya.

He may not have direct control right now, but that doesn't mean he should be ignorant. Look at Tim Schafer. He used to be under the control of the publishers, but he's slowly working his way away from that and releasing all of their games on PC as well as other platforms.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By psylah

He is the hero the internet deserves.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By skooks

Kimaya seems good for a laugh.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By bacongames

Wait wait wait, this article we're talking about here is based only on a response to one twitter question? That's it? What the fuck Kotaku. I mean people make jokes but c'mon. Fuck the headline, that entire thing is moribund.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Why the hell would you run a story based on a TWEET!? I'm taking a journalism class in FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL and anything like this shit would not fly. Wow.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By Nev

Meh. Some asshole bitches at shitty journalists. Sounds like the internet, all right.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MethodMan008

@AlexW00d: Director of Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, etc..

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Sooty

Yeah Kotaku are just the worst, I wish they'd fuck off out of Flipboard's gaming section.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By psylah

@BaconGames said:

Wait wait wait, this article we're talking about here is based only on a response to one twitter question? That's it? What the fuck Kotaku. I mean people make jokes but c'mon. Fuck the headline, that entire thing is moribund.

@MetalGearSunny said:

Why the hell would you run a story based on a TWEET!? I'm taking a journalism class in FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL and anything like this shit would not fly. Wow.

Even worse, they malign him for not being interested in PC gaming, as if he is required to know all about it because he makes games.

He doesn't make games for the masses, he makes games based on his own finalized idea. He's not doing it to maximize profits, he'll leave that to publishers when the game is to his liking.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@wewantsthering said:

@Nottle said:

@wewantsthering said:

He may not have direct control right now, but that doesn't mean he should be ignorant. Look at Tim Schafer. He used to be under the control of the publishers, but he's slowly working his way away from that and releasing all of their games on PC as well as other platforms.

...the whole freaking article is about how irrelevant PC gaming is in Japan! You might as well be telling that to every Japanese developer!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By ProfessorEss

@MetalGearSunny said:

Sadly it seems to be par for the course these days, and not just for Kotaku.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LikeaSsur

I didn't know being a general dick was a good thing.

Then again, this is the internet.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Sooty

@MetalGearSunny said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Nottle said:

@wewantsthering said:

...the whole freaking article is about how irrelevant PC gaming is in Japan! You might as well be telling that to every Japanese developer!

Yeah I mean it's not like Capcom haven't been releasing absolutely fantastic PC ports for a long time now, not at all!

Even Dark Souls II is coming to PC.

I get that PC gaming isn't as popular there but plenty of Japanese developers do release stuff for PC.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#80  Edited By I_smell
    @Trilogy said:

From the article.

UPDATE: The original headline for this story—"The Guy Who Made Bayonetta Is Clueless about Valve and PC Gaming"—has been changed. "Clueless" was a poor choice of words and we apologize for the negative connotation. That said, we appreciate Kamiya's colorful reaction to the story and hope that, now that we've changed the headline, those who couldn't get past that will be able to read the piece. - Stephen Totilo, Editor-in-Chief

I think it's still kind of dumb to tell the guy "did you actually read the piece?" when you use words like clueless.

Also "Guy who made Bayonetta" is dumb cos you're not talking about some overnight Flash game here. I'd think a site as big as Kotaku would be a bit more tuned in to how developers feel about stuff like that.

Also- this guy's funny. He seems to call people "gaijin" a lot.
    Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Wampa1

Did twitter just magically make people stop giving a shit about public image? If so I love it.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By zaccheus

"Do you eat shit?" is a pretty excellent response. Kotaku is awful.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TruthTellah

To be fair, Hideki Kamiya does seem clueless on PC gaming(and he has even admitted as much). heh. So, while the article's title was silly and click-baity, the actual contents weren't too bad, as it was a reasonable glimpse at how and why Japanese developers are often uninterested in PC gaming.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@Sooty said:

@MetalGearSunny said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Nottle said:

@wewantsthering said:

Yeah I mean it's not like Capcom haven't been releasing absolutely fantastic PC ports for a long time now, not at all!

Even Dark Souls II is coming to PC.

I get that PC gaming isn't as popular there but plenty of Japanese developers do release stuff for PC.

Yeah, I know, and I didn't mean to say that no Japanese developers uses the PC. I was more frustrated that completely missed the point.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Klei

He said he didn't care about PC gaming. What a twit.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#87  Edited By granderojo

@TruthTellah said:

To be fair, Hideki Kamiya does seem clueless on PC gaming(and he has even admitted as much). heh. So, while the article's title was silly and click-baity, the actual contents weren't too bad, as it was a reasonable glimpse at how and why Japanese developers are often uninterested in PC gaming.

Having no interest in something is not the same as clueless. He makes games using a PC, how fucking clueless could he be about the platform? I'm someone who both predominately plays PC games but enjoys Kamiya's work, so it's not like I'm defending his disinterest. I would prefer he developed for the PC but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to Japanese game development.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @CaLe

Some of his tweets in Japanese were a little too harsh imo. This guy has no tolerance for things he doesn't care about, and fuck you, 'you stupid foreigner,' for not understanding that. I can see getting frustrated at so many people spamming your twitter, but no need for tactless sweeping insults.

Edit // Looks like he's not keeping those comments strictly in Japanese:

No Caption Provided

Makes it hard to have any empathy; not that he gives a shit about such a thing of course.

Yep. Kotaku was in the wrong but being outright racist just makes him into a prick and makes me wonder why people are still treating him like the good guy here. Regardless of the asshole who started it, elevating it to racism is beyond gross.
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@I_smell said:

Also "Guy who made Bayonetta" is dumb cos you're not talking about some overnight Flash game here. I'd think a site as big as Kotaku would be a bit more tuned in to how developers feel about stuff like that. Also- this guy's funny. He seems to call people "gaijin" a lot.

Yep, that hilarious racism.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Ha ha I like this guy already.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#91  Edited By granderojo

@MariachiMacabre said:

@CaLe

Some of his tweets in Japanese were a little too harsh imo. This guy has no tolerance for things he doesn't care about, and fuck you, 'you stupid foreigner,' for not understanding that. I can see getting frustrated at so many people spamming your twitter, but no need for tactless sweeping insults.

No Caption Provided

Makes it hard to have any empathy; not that he gives a shit about such a thing of course.

Yep. Kotaku was in the wrong but being outright racist just makes him into a prick and makes me wonder why people are still treating him like the good guy here. Regardless of the asshole who started it, elevating it to racism is beyond gross.

I think if a bunch of japanese dudes started at tweeting me saying I was clueless I might call them idiot foreigners too. I think that's why the majority of this thread doesn't give a fuck about those comments.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92  Edited By JJOR64

Nice.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Animasta

@thabigred said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@CaLe

No Caption Provided

I think if a bunch of japanese dudes started at tweeting me saying I was clueless I might call them idiot foreigners too. I think that's why the majority of this thread doesn't give a fuck about those comments.

then that'd be racist too.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wampa1 said:

Did twitter just magically make people stop giving a shit about public image? If so I love it.

This magic is all Twitter's good for really. :P

Suffice to say, taking Twitter seriously is a very VERY bad idea. XD

Think of it as a landfill- one being perpetually filled by the fleeting junk that comes to people's minds. Junk you won't find anywhere else. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That's pretty funny.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SomeDeliCook
    @rentfn said:

I think Kotaku is ok. They post stuff quick so you get a heads up about whats going on. Then I go to a better site to get all the details.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By warchief

HAHA fantastic. He also nails it just look at the "article" title Luke made its designed to get hits. Fuck Kotaku.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By TruthTellah

@thabigred said:

@TruthTellah said:

Having no interest in something is not the same as clueless. He makes games using a PC, how fucking clueless could he be about the platform? I'm someone who both predominately plays PC games but enjoys Kamiya's work, so it's not like I'm defending his disinterest. I would prefer he developed for the PC but that's the nature of the beast when it comes to Japanese game development.

I agree. As I said, I think the article's title suggesting he was completely clueless was silly. The actual content explaining how and why many Japanese developers ignore the PC was much better than its title suggested.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#99  Edited By bibamatt

I'm obviously in the minority here but, once I'd gotten over the blatantly awful headline, I really enjoyed the article. It used Kamiya's tweet as a springboard to talk about the general Japanese culture's take on using PC's for gaming and which games have been successful over there. I, personally, learnt a lot and thought it was good reading.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mellotronrules

kotaku is a known quantity. it is what it is. i don't understand why everyone gets their blood up about it- read it or ignore it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.