Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hip-Hop

Concept »

Hip-Hop is a type of urban culture that has been featured in many videogames to varying extents, in movies, and in all around pop culture. Hip-Hop includes Rap music/Emceeing, graffiti art, DJ'ing, and breakdancing.

Official Hip-Hop/Rap Discussion Thread

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fr0br0

Yo everybody, this is your boy, Fr0Br0. I've seen a few topics here regarding Rap and other discussions involving Hip-Hop so I thought I'd create a thread on the Hip-Hop page that is dedicated to talking about Hip-Hop.

I know there isn't a huge number of Rap fans on video game sites, and I know most of you prefer Rock or Metal, so feel free to discuss such music elsewhere. Here, we will be open minded and accept each others preferred artists. And to anyone looking to get into Rap, just say the word and we will hook you up with some dope artists to get you started with a great genre.

So feel free to discuss any artists you currently enjoy, artists you think are the most skilled/suck, Best Rapper Alive, Best Rapper Ever, classic albums, anything.

I'll start it with somebody I believe to be the future of Rap: Lupe Fiasco!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Systech

Thank you. I can't wait for the new Mos Def CD next week.

bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By bigpig33
    Fr0Br0 said:

i like lupe, but it is hard or him to be the future if he has already annouced his retierment
    Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I actually love this music genre. Great song you posted.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fr0br0
    systech said:
    "Thank you. I can't wait for the new Mos Def CD next week.
    "
    I never really listened to solo Mos Def. Only Blackstar Mos Def with Talib Kweli. I think he's a great artist, I just never got around to getting one of his albums. Got any suggestion to which is his best solo album?

bigpig33
    said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:

i like lupe, but it is hard or him to be the future if he has already annouced his retierment"
    Well, Lupe recently stated that he will make three more albums and then consider retiring. But I didn't mean that Lupe himself was the future, but more of what he represents by rapping about all of his true hobbies of games, manga and music, yet has hit mainstream success and how he will inspire other artists to rap about different things.

Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rorschach

This thread demands more recognition, and has potential. As for classic albums, my favorite rap album is easily "36 Chambers" by The Wu-Tang Clan. Every track on it is excellent, and it has a great overall flow to it. I'm also a big fan of albums (at least a few) by individual Wu-Tang Clan members. Specifically Method Man's "Tical", Ghostface Killah's "Ironman" and GZA's "Liquid Swords". All good stuff. So let's hear it GB community, what do you rock (rap?) out to?

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I don't listen to much rap music but I do have a few albums that I've really gotten into.

Nas - Illmatic is absolutely amazing and my favorite rap album.
    A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory is also amazing.
    Outkast is another group I've been getting into lately, I think they do a lot of really interesting stuff with their music amidst a lot of modern monotonous garbage.

That's about it for me, lulz

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

Kudos for the creation of a official thread.

I listen to a lot of hip hop and have done since 88 with Big Daddy Kane and co.I listen all styles, all flavours, I don't discriminate ;)

Right now I am taking in some "English ting". I bought this little known album last month and really like it, it may not be to everyone's tastes but is real and it promotes a message I can understand well.  Love the lyrical flow..

Skinnyman- Hayden

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a new Deltron 3030 on the way which I'm looking forward to.
    But the only contemporary hip hop I listen to nowadays is nerdcore like MC Frontalot, YTcracker, mc chris and MC Lars.
    Loves me come classic shit from Common to Cypress Hill to Del The Funky Homosapien to DMX to Atmosphere to old concious Ice Cube and I could go on and on.
    People I know who are really into hip hop play me good underground stuff, but the shit that's trotted out and called hip hop nowadays is terrible.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Milkman

My current favorite and the most underrated rapper in the game right now. If you haven't heard about Black Milk yet, listen up:

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Mainstream Hip Hop has not been Hip Hop since the late 90's, turn off your fucking radio and MTV. Walk into a local record shop and look at what independent and non-commercial music there is, if you don't have a local record shop because you live in the suburbs go to great websites like Pandora.

Props to Milkman for posting some Black Milk, guy is dope.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

That 's got a nice hook. I like Royce da too.

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Vance_Helsing

Haven't been listening to much hip-hop as of late, but Ludacris's last album (don't knock him just because he's "mainstream") is fairly solid with good beats and awesome, smart lyrics.  I'm a huge T.I. fan, but his latest is a bit of a disappointment. I've also been feeling the Cool Kids' EP "Bake Sale"- a throwback to older hip hop w/o all those "Bitches and hoes".

I've yet to hear a better hip-hop album in the past few years then Ghostface's "Fishscale"- not one song on that album falters, not one.

Oh, and thank you for giving props to Black Milk- he's fantastic as well, and I'd love to hear more from him soon.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Captain_Fookup

I actually enjoy Ludacris most of his shit is witty and entertaining, on the other hand T.I. has as much talent as Lil Wanye. If you like The Cool Kids download their mixtape called The Instant Classics Mixtape By Napster.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fr0br0
    Milkman said:
    "My current favorite and the most underrated rapper in the game right now. If you haven't heard about Black Milk yet, listen up:

"
    Black Milk with Royce is always guarantee FIRE.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech
    Fr0Br0 said:
    I never really listened to solo Mos Def. Only Blackstar Mos Def with Talib Kweli. I think he's a great artist, I just never got around to getting one of his albums. Got any suggestion to which is his best solo album?
    I think his best album is Black On Both Sides, but The New Danger is pretty good too. I also suggest some of his new singles like Quiet Dog and Life In Marvelous Times.
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rorschach
    systech said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:
    I think his best album is Black On Both Sides, but The New Danger is pretty good too. I also suggest some of his new singles like Quiet Dog and Life In Marvelous Times."
    Yeah, Black On Both Sides is a classic album. Some really cool, intelligent rhymes.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fr0br0
    systech said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:
    I think his best album is Black On Both Sides, but The New Danger is pretty good too. I also suggest some of his new singles like Quiet Dog and Life In Marvelous Times."
    I checked out BoBS and wow, I'm impressed. It wasn't a classic to me, but it was damn good. I'll be listening to it for a while now. Thanks for the recommendation.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fr0br0

Come on. I know there are more Hip-Hop heads out there.

Bump with GZA...

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    GobiasIndustries said:
    "I don't listen to much rap music but I do have a few albums that I've really gotten into.

Nas - Illmatic is absolutely amazing and my favorite rap album.
    A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory is also amazing.
    Outkast is another group I've been getting into lately, I think they do a lot of really interesting stuff with their music amidst a lot of modern monotonous garbage.That's about it for me, lulz"
    I think that collection right there, albeit small, is all anyone needs.  

@Fr0b0 - ty for the GZA, he belongs in any thread with hip-hop in the title.

I noticed that Camp Lo has put out a new CD.  It's not the worst either, the title is interesting "Stone & Rob Caught on Tape" -- not a bad listen at all. But I guess that's just my opinion, I've been a fan of Camp Lo for quite awhile now.  

Also, whatever happened to Arrested Development?  Mr. Wendel?!  

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HazBazz

I like Rock and Metal, as well as Rap and Hip Hop. My MP3 library is probably about 70% rock, 30% Rap/HipHop/Electric/Dance

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Absurd

Mmm, Im not sure if any of you have ever heard of benefit but I think he's quite talented.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Verdugo

I love me some Cypress Hill. Outkast isn't too bad either.

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Retrogimp

I'm into all sorts, right now it's trip hop - Massive Attack is currently dominating my iPod a lot. But in terms of hip hop I only really know and listen to Dre, Xzibit, Snoop and Eminem. Wu Tang too.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Discorsi

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I guess in this thread it should be mentioned that 12 years ago today the king of Hip Hop was murdered - biggie rip

@Discorsi - Big L died too soon also, Ebonics is a classic in my opinion
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Milkman
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "Come on. I know there are more Hip-Hop heads out there.

Bump with GZA.
    Speaking of GZA (who is my icon, by the way), here's the sickest diss song since Real Mutherfukkin' G's. 50 Cent just gets TORE UP.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

De La Soul - "Ooh".

Discuss its amazingness in full.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Systech

Apparently the newest Mos Def album comes out in June. My uninformed friend told me it was going to be February 24.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Metasin

Good to see hip-hop still gets love outside of dance songs. I second most of the recommendations in this thread.

As for T.I. wasn't feeling him much at first but he murders "Swagga Like Us."  I personally get down with the underground in general whether "street" or "backpack" I dl'd Sean Price and Atmosphere on the same day.

Greats that haven't been mentioned in here yet, KRS, Rakim, Pun I coul go on and on and on, I'm a big collector
    Rorschach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rorschach

It should be noted, with great sadness, that nobody has mentioned The Beastie Boys yet. As everyone knows, they're pretty much the greatest rap group of all time (sorry Run DMC and Wu-Tang). This image proves it.

No Caption Provided

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fr0br0
    Rorschach said:
    "It should be noted, with great sadness, that nobody has mentioned The Beastie Boys yet. As everyone knows, they're pretty much the greatest rap group of all time (sorry Run DMC and Wu-Tang). This image proves it."
    Beastie Boys were good, but I don't think they were anything too special. Other than the fact that they were white and they had a slightly different subject matter, BB weren't all that amazing. But they did have some good ass songs and it's almost impossible to hate on that robot.
    Hoopstown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hoopstown

Does anybody have Last FM? Add me, my username is King_.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By buzz_clik

I think I listen to Fear of a Black Planet at least once every 2 weeks. Flawlessly dynamic album that ebbs and flows in just the right places. It's been around for nearly 20 years and it still sounds so fresh to my ears.

I totally just sold myself on putting it on right now!

UPDATE: Welcome to the Terrordome just owned me for the billionth time in my life.

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
    deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

nas, all wu tang members, talib kweli , jay dee(j dilla), jay electronica,dj premier, jedi mind tricks, 9th wonder,madlib, oh no, mf doom...
    i love hip hop the list could go on but ill stop there

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.