Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 20, 2021

The third and final entry in IO Interactive's reboot of the Hitman series takes Agent 47 to all new locales including Dubai, England, Germany and China.

Controller Issues on PC

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Hey guys, I'm having some problems with the controller on the PC version of Hitman 3. I actually had similar issues with Hitman 2, which was on Steam rather than Epic, and the problem only happens on those two games. For some reason, every other button besides the triggers work. But the left and right triggers are unresponsive. To play, I have to aim and shoot using a mouse. It's not great. Has anyone else had this and have you all come up with or heard of a solution?

For reference, I'm using the Xbox Series controller over bluetooth. And, again, the triggers work with every other game I play. Thanks all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jasonr86: I guess the obvious question is have you tried connecting the controller to your pc using a cable and see if the problem persists? Also does the controller have the latest firmware from the Xbox Accessories app on windows?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

I actually bought the new Xbox controller specifically for this PC and it didn't come with a USB cable. I tried using my PS4's USB cable but it looks like the new Xbox controllers use a proprietary outlet, or at least one that is incompatible with the PS4 USB cord. I might try to use my old 360 controller with the wireless dongle and see if that works instead. If so, that would be kind of obnoxious for just this one game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: ideally you’d probably want a wired controller to check but it’s odd that the issue only comes up during this one game. As for the cable yah it’s weird - the Series X doesn’t even come with a cable for the pad and I don’t have a USB-C cable in the entire house except for my Logitech keyboard. I’ll have to see if that works for myself I haven’t tried connecting it to the PC.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer that such an expensive controller is missing a key component. Just to close the loop, I tried with my old 360 controller just now and the triggers worked fine. So weird.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: so have you tried downloading the official Xbox Accessories app? It allows you to test inputs so you press a button and see if it registers an input in the program.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

I did. The app shows that all of the buttons, triggers too, work properly. I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with me using bluetooth. The 360 wireless adapter doesn't recognize the new Xbox controller so I'd have to get a new receiver. Which I don't see me doing right now.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This has happened to me in the past, but I've only been able to fix it within steam so the inclusion of Epic throws a wrench in my fix probably...but just in case....

I had a game that was registering my xbox controller as a non proprietary pc controller and therefore the analog triggers weren't being recognized. I had to start Steam in Big Picture mode and change the universal controller settings to recognize it as an Xbox controller (I'm sure there's a way to do this in normal steam settings, but the setting was easier to find in BP mode).

So maybe if Steam is open in the background while you play, it could be doing something similar?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Humanity

@jasonr86: If updating the firmware on the controller doesn't help then I read an interesting case online where trigger responsiveness was tied to framerate and turning on VSync actually eliminated the issue because for some reason the triggers weren't registering when the framerate went over 60.

Alternatively

"Okay I finally got it to work. I pluged the Pad with a cable. Then it showed as Xbox controller in device manager. I uninstalled the drivers. Rebooted and pluged it back again. It installed new drivers and Xbox accesories saw it and now the triggers are ok. Seems like the drivers were corrupt or something and when connecting via adapter I wasn't able to fix it cuz it only shows the adapters drivers and these were the ones i was trying to fix and it only was only reinstalling the adapter drivers not the pad ones."

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have any other USB devices that might be interpreted as controllers? Steering wheels, HOTAS, even some mice. Check device manager under Human Interface Devices, and if you have "HID-compliant game controller" listed, disable it. I have to do this for some games because my mouse has an analog switch on it that some games read as a controller. Basically anything XInput confuses some games.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: this fix also works on Non steam games. Just add the executable as a non steam game and it will have its own accessible profile through big picture.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To wrap up this thread, I actually bought a wireless adapter for the new Xbox controller so I can use the wireless connection, as opposed to bluetooth. Now, the triggers work just as they should. I'm not sure why, but there must be some limitation with the bluetooth that impacts certain games. Thanks for all the tips.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: Sucks you had to spend more money but at least you can game in peace now. Although I was curious what the solution would eventually end up being.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.