Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 20, 2021

The third and final entry in IO Interactive's reboot of the Hitman series takes Agent 47 to all new locales including Dubai, England, Germany and China.

Hitman 3 Ending Discussion

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ya'll this is an Ending Discussion. It's gonna be spoilers. So.... Yeah.

First up, mechanical spoilers:

The final mission has multiple endings. You can kill/mind erase The Constant for the standard ending (albeit with or without the twist of him being alive but mind erased) or you can obtain a third and entirely different ending by picking up the serum and doing nothing for about 60 seconds. The Constant will ask if you are having second thoughts and suggest you inject yourself, at which point you can with a pull of the trigger/click of the mouse. Doing so causes The Constant to comment about how he will "take care of you now" followed by scene where 47 wakes up in a padded room.

From there, you get the story spoilers/implications:

In the traditional ending, Burnwood takes over/destroys Providence and her and 47 team up to become what I call "Benevolent Illuminati" where apparently they do the same shit Providence does but like "they're totally good guys". Whatever, apparently we're supposed to believe that deep done Diana is a good person and wants to take down Providence from the inside blah blah but she was always 47's handler. She had no problem with any of that shit until it got in her way. Seems like a stretch to be like "Oh yeah, she's totally a good person and is going to do the good thing cuz.... you're the good guy hitmans. that are good. good murder. trust us. good. you're good. it's good. GOOD."
    With the alternative ending, you are actually being presented with an Easter Egg. The padded room and the line spoken by the Constant "Wake up my friend, it's a new day and you have things to do" is actually the opening to the original Hitman: Agent 47. The alternate ending suggests that the World of Assassination trilogy is actually a prequel to the original game and the events of Hitman: Agent 47 take place AFTER his second mind erasure. Of course, that doesn't quite line up with the timeline or character of Diana in the earlier games but hey, it's fun. It also creates a Zelda-like parallel dimension situation where in one world 47 kills the Constant and becomes a good guy and in the alternate world he goes back to ICA Hitman just to go through the events of the original games and.... kinda become a good guy? Hitman lore man......

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By infantpipoc

Minor correction: I believe the 2000 original Hitman game has the subtitle "Codename 47" instead.

Interesting theory. But somehow I feel Hitman 3 hit its finality mark two missions before, as Agent 47 leaked the ICA files out of their data centre in Chongqing. To quote a line from the game, this game does not so much burn its bridges as blow them up with this plotpoint.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regardless of the ending, you'll probably see at least a soft reboot whenever IO comes back to the franchise. Which probably won't happen for another 5-10 years.

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantpipoc: i mean, the alternate ending is clearly meant to be a non-canon spoof. It's not so much a theory as it just is that - the same piece of dialogue from Codename 47 and him waking up in the same padded room. Does it make sense? No, of course not, again as 47's relationship with Diana and the timeline don't line up but its a goofy thing to think about

landhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the implication from the (normal) ending wasn't so much that they became a benevolent illuminati as they became kind of a rogue assassin/handler pair to take down malevolent power brokers that would try to rise to fill the void left by Providence's dismantling, in effect picking up the torch from Lucas Grey. It read to me that they weren't interested in controlling things as Providence had, but were going to keep trying to stop people who were, kind of an Assassins Vs. Templars deal.

The final level is also interesting: It comes about from Diana 'poisoning' 47 to get him close to the target, the exact same trick she used in Blood Money, but in that game when you wake up at your own funeral you are obligated to kill everyone there to keep your survival a secret. In this final level, you are again given leave to kill everyone that stands in your way- But (IIRC) it's also the only level in the new trilogy where you don't have to kill anyone, including the target. It's kind of an interesting reflection of where 47 was at the beginning of the trilogy and where he is at the end; still an assassin, but now free to make his own decisions on right and wrong as opposed to just being a tool for the powerful to wield.

Also that whole last level was the train from Goldeneye.

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landhawk: I'm far enough removed from my one and only play of Blood Money that I'd forgotten that. It's an interesting comparison and I hadn't considered that the finale was the first time you could not kill anyone either.

I guess my thing with Diana is more, benevolent assassin or benevolent illuminati aside, I just I don't see what we have about her specifically to lead us to accept that she's like a "good person." She's good to 47, but even that has it's motivations, originating in a desire to go up the ranks of the ICA. You know, that company that murders people for money.

I guess throughout the series, even before you discover Providence you are murdering "bad people" but nothing about the ICA says the *only* murder bad people right? Surely Diana and 47 have run ops to kill innocent people for cash/political reasons? This all assuming the "canon 47" only kills his targets during missions like a professional. Maybe I'm a cynic but it seemed to me like they wanted a feel good ending for a lady who kills people for money and a hitman. LIke.... they are what they are.

Snacko00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that it's implied that C:47 takes place after the WoA trilogy. We learn who the voice is in C:47, 47's creator, Ort-Meyer. Plus, there are plenty of references to the first few games in WoA, particularly in Mendoza which names several characters from the early games by name.

I think the more likely implication is that Ort-Meyer had ties to Ether and Providence, and that the asylum that 47 escaped from is now under Providence control. That would make sense, since they had knowledge of both 47 and Grey.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've finished it so I'll dredge this up.

47 says Diana took the role on for the responsibility, not the power. So she just sits there, waiting for more people to inevitably look to fill the power vacuum. As for the morality of it, you're always killing shady people in these games. Diana not taking the power herself means they'll always be in the business of killing shady people.

What else are they gonna do? Find Jesus?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.