Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

(Do not buy) Hitman Absolution

• 180 results
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#101  Edited By Oni

@mordukai: I've finished Demon's and Dark Souls. What exploit do you mean? I love the ironman nature of those games, everything has weight. It's appropriate for those specific games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By mordukai

@Oni: if instead of quitting the game to main screen and just either quit to the XMB ot turned off the system the game would have saved where you stood or damn near it. While the actual save system was the arch stones there was an auto save system that saves quite a few during gameplay. In Demon's Souls it looks like a spinning soul icon on the corner of the screen. People used it A LOT when doing invasion or when getting invaded because then you would not lose the souls.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Oni

@mordukai: Oh, it's been a long time since I played Demon's, I thought it worked just like Dark Souls, saving where you stand. Weird.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By asurastrike

Well, I think it's great.

Also, it looks AMAZING on PC set to Ultra.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#105  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I am a huge Hitman fan. I got the first game when it was new, beat it over and over. I got the Silent Assassin Rank on every mission in Hitman 2 and Hitman: Contracts. I got a lot of them in Blood Money as well, but these days I don't have that kind of time to give just one game.

And I am having a blast with this game. Sure, there are a few quirks I don't like (the way people spot you from miles away if you are dressed like their faction for instance), but so far this is an awesome Hitman game. I have always liked the character, so a game that puts his personal story more in the front is awesome. If you just want the good old "kill this guy, get away" you got the Contracts mode to have fun with. And plenty of missions seem to have that anyway (only just started Part 2, so my feelings might change of course)

It also seems people misremember things from the old games, which makes Absolution seem bad. You could save anywhere in past Hitman games? Nuhuh. In the first game you had to finish levels for them to save. No mid-mission saving. In 2 I believe you had a limited number of save. While Contracts gave you as many as you wanted. And in Blood Money you got saves that acted like checkpoints. Quitting the game meant you had to start the mission over. Hell, Absolution is way more forgiving that those games when it comes to saving and checkpointing. (I might misremember how saving worked in some of these games myself actually, but I do know you could not save in Codename 47. Fuck those long and difficult missions.)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By DeF

@Oni: Curious, you're playing on PC or consoles (asking because I'm holding out hope for quick saves on PC)

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By pickassoreborn

Probably posted already - seems like MCV have caused some controversy already with this news story - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/reviews-go-live-for-hitman-absolution/0106621

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Oni

@DeF said:

@Oni: Curious, you're playing on PC or consoles (asking because I'm holding out hope for quick saves on PC)

PC, no quick saves, just the broken-ass checkpointing. Just painstakingly sniped a bunch of guys on a bridge so I wouldn't have to sneak past them (hanging off a ledge waiting for guards to pass - fun!), activated a checkpoint afterwards, reloaded said checkpoint, and they were all back, and one of them practically starin in my face. Fuck this game, man. Played a few missions into part 2, there have been some good ol' assassination missions, but also a whole lot of "Sneak past these guys" levels. And they're still turgid, insipid and dull. I broke down and finished a level killing everyone, which I normally never do. Just couldn't be fucking bothered anymore.

Sankis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Sankis

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

I am a huge Hitman fan. I got the first game when it was new, beat it over and over. I got the Silent Assassin Rank on every mission in Hitman 2 and Hitman: Contracts. I got a lot of them in Blood Money as well, but these days I don't have that kind of time to give just one game.

And I am having a blast with this game. Sure, there are a few quirks I don't like (the way people spot you from miles away if you are dressed like their faction for instance), but so far this is an awesome Hitman game. I have always liked the character, so a game that puts his personal story more in the front is awesome. If you just want the good old "kill this guy, get away" you got the Contracts mode to have fun with. And plenty of missions seem to have that anyway (only just started Part 2, so my feelings might change of course)

It also seems people misremember things from the old games, which makes Absolution seem bad. You could save anywhere in past Hitman games? Nuhuh. In the first game you had to finish levels for them to save. No mid-mission saving. In 2 I believe you had a limited number of save. While Contracts gave you as many as you wanted. And in Blood Money you got saves that acted like checkpoints. Quitting the game meant you had to start the mission over. Hell, Absolution is way more forgiving that those games when it comes to saving and checkpointing. (I might misremember how saving worked in some of these games myself actually, but I do know you could not save in Codename 47. Fuck those long and difficult missions.)

Is Contracts anywhere close to as non-linear as the previous games? Are there plenty of set items, tricks, etc to use to kill people or is it more limited in scope? The thing I liked about the past games were the many different ways to achieve any goal. If I wanted to completely blow my cover I could go in shooting. If I wanted to do it stealthily I could sneak in, evade every guard, and garrote my target; I could set a bomb on a patrol route, etc, etc. This is not counting the number of scripted things that could be done, either.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By Conzed92

I, as a Dane, feel ashamed.

IOI has, in my mind at least, let down the old fans the franchise. Finally when they scored it right with Blood Money, and then go and throw it all away in a confusing, frustrating, non-forgiving mess-up like that?! What has become of this world? And it is really a shame, the game looks fantastic, there are certainly some cool features that could have been utilized in a better way and if only they had developed from the platform in Blood Money, I believe we would have a whole product on our hands.

SORRY GUYS, I'LL TAKE THIS UP WITH THE PRIME MINISTER! She has got to intervene...

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By ozzdog12

@Spoonman671 said:

Everybody else seems to like it. Sorry you're having a shitty time with it.

Including me. I love it

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By baconbutty

Took some getting used to, but after my session last night, I have decided I now love this game.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#113  Edited By envane

@Oni: not trying to sound clever but i know the exact bridge you,re talking about and it takes no more than 30 seconds to sneak past those guys in 47s suit , ledge hanging and all , was doing it in a contract last nite had to repeat it like 20 times heh (due to wanting to max score on the actual targets , not failure) , its just like old hitman games , once you observe paths and know the vision cones mentally , you can just stroll thru levels , plus distracting guys with thrown objects is so overpowered , if people wont move you can just force them to look the other way for long enough to walk past yet again , granted i played thru the whole game on normal and i am now just starting hard but im finding it alot easier regardless.

johnaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By johnaze

@ozzdog12 said:

@Spoonman671 said:

Everybody else seems to like it. Sorry you're having a shitty time with it.

Including me. I love it

Me too! I actually had a lot of fun playing it.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115  Edited By pandorasbox

I see where you're coming from, but i really can't stand when people hate on a game with such a passion simply because it isn't the exact same game as the last one. Sure, some of the changes are for the worse, i understand that, but to hate a game that is basically and fundamentally the same from a mechanics stand point just because the levels are a bit more narrow and they changed the way save points are done? That's a little crass. I think the die hard blood money fans need to go back and play that game without the rose tinted glasses and maybe look at why these changes needed to happen.

Blood Money was a great game, but it had a very niche following. Companies need to expand, not just to consoles, but to the hardcore gamers outside of the Hitman fan base that formed almost 10 years ago. I am just psyched that Hitman games can still be produced, be fundamentally good, and be profitable.

Also, I think it's a bit childish to call it "barely a Hitman game", because it's totally a Hitman game. A flawed one? Maybe. But it is Hitman at it's core and i am having a fucking blast with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#116  Edited By Humanity

Just a reminder to some how far the Hitman series has come

Fast Forward to 10:38 for my all time favorite scene in all Hitman games.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Oni

OK, I'm now about 2/3 of the way through the game, and my overall impression has softened somewhat. For one, the game is front-loaded with the absolute worst missions, in my opinion: Run For Your Life and... shit, I forget what it's called, the other one where all you're doing is dodging cops, for the most part. After that, there were a couple of aggravating sections (Descent was awful), but nothing as bad as those. Part of it is also that I dropped down to Normal after the first few missions. The game just isn't fun on Hard, and almost impossible to play 'right', ie. no kills and no alerts. It's doable on Normal. But the other part is that I'm not trying so hard anymore. I stopped caring about the score and started just playing the game to have fun with it, killing guys or knocking them out when it seemed expedient to my progress. I still reload checkpoint whenever I get on full alert though, but if one guy spots me I may just take him out and keep going.

Things I still hate: The checkpoint system. It's so incredibly half-assed. Still don't like how disguises work either, but on Normal with a couple of upgrades it's manageable, for the most part. It's still very gamey, but Hitman's AI has always been very exploitable.

Story's still garbage, though, but whatevs. I'm actually sort of enjoying it now. Playing on Normal and not caring about totally perfecting every level were the biggest factors in that.

MonkeyMitcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118  Edited By MonkeyMitcho

I haven't been reading the reviews, I've never played a hit man game (or that many stealth games in general) I lIked the way the game looked in the quick look, should I pick this up?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#119  Edited By Humanity

@MonkeyMitcho: If you liked the way it looked then pick it up, you'll be the one playing it, not someone on the other side of the monitor telling you how awful/awesome it is. No matter how much praise people put on Halo 4 I'll never buy it because I played previous Halo games and know that series just doesn't click with me, rendering any opinions people might have on it complete null for me.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By pyrodactyl
    @Oni Killing guards and knocking out civilians is still considered perfect play as long as you hide the bodies.
    And you're right, at least 80% of my problems with the game would be eliminated by including manual saving restricted by difficulty levels. Those checkpoints are the fucking worst. They only save your score, location and which target you took out. On a reload, all regular ennemies respawn and reset to their initial location. Now you get to wait through the same ambiant dialogue and guard paterns every single time you reload.
    WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THAT???
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By pyrodactyl
    @Sankis Contract is more open then 2 but less than blood money. I had a great time with it on the original xbox
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ozzdog12

@johnaze: I have literally replayed the prologue level about 6 times, just to find all of the items and get all of the challenges. I'm really digging it

hbk619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By hbk619

What's so bad about the checkpoint system in reality Oni? I don't understand your complaint when another 'the levels are super small' actually contradicts the checkpoint part of your hate argument.

The levels are definitely smaller than the usual Hitman levels in the past, at least for the most part. But it's that fact that helps negate any copious amount of checkpointing or need for save at anytime-ness.

I haven't found myself reloading a checkpoint only to have to go and do the same thing again for another 15-20 minutes as generally where you start doesn't need to be that far from where you actually finish a level. The only one that really shows a need for a checkpoint is probably the Library level, which getting about 2/3rds of the way through that could do with a checkpoint (not sure if there is one, wasn't on the route I took anyway).

But otherwise I really haven't come across many levels (assuming I'm about halfway through the game now, maybe more, maybe less) that are so long that you would be re-treading much if you do stuff something up and have to reload a checkpoint. Even then, if you can find a checkpoint in a level, get to the point where you want to save it then just go back and save there.

Personally I really haven't encountered an issue where lack of saves has hurt what I've been attempting to do in a level.  I have no issue with the checkpoint system what-so-ever.

I absolutely adore the Hitman series and loved Contracts and Blood Money. And I am absolutely loving this! It's Hitman through and through. There's obviously twists, but I feel for the most part, what's there is there abouts same weight as what you've got in previous games (at least in terms of Assassinations, there really wasn't a huge amount in past games). So the more linear 'chase'/'stealth' sequences are a nice little pace diversion. And if you are still wanting the elaborate set up assassinations, that stuff IS there too!

The disguise system is flawed. But it was also flawed in previous Hitman games too (albeit in a different way). I think this system is on the more realistic side however, is realistic a good thing or a bad thing? I am leaning more towards good, only because what results is you having to play smarter than just brazenly walking around a level instead of thinking it through more.

I was actually astounded watching the GiantBomb Quick Look at how different Brad ended up playing his QL to what I had played. When I was going through the game thinking 'jeez, there doesn't seem to be THAT much to do differently here'. Watching the QL completely changed my opinion and made me look even harder to find everything different inside each level (which led to a bunch of awesome results from my playtime earlier).

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#124  Edited By myslead

Almost done with the game and what it really comes down to is that the game needed more levels like the Chinatown level.

What started like a great premise of a game became annoyingly annoying. The more I progressed through the game the less I wanted to play it =/

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Oni

@HBK619: Enemies respawn. I've explained this, others have said it too. Sometimes it's not a big deal, but it's just dumb that it does that. Even items you've previously picked up. Example: I picked up a keycard, went to a checkpoint, and upon my reload I found I no longer had the keycard, and I had to reload that checkpoint a bunch of times, and every single time I had to backtrack a bit to get that keycard again. It's stupid.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By murisan

@Oni said:

@HBK619: Enemies respawn. I've explained this, others have said it too. Sometimes it's not a big deal, but it's just dumb that it does that. Even items you've previously picked up. Example: I picked up a keycard, went to a checkpoint, and upon my reload I found I no longer had the keycard, and I had to reload that checkpoint a bunch of times, and every single time I had to backtrack a bit to get that keycard again. It's stupid.

Then you used that checkpoint before you got the keycard. That's a game systems thing. If you get the keycard before using a checkpoint, it saves it.

lennoxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By lennoxxx

Sorry to hear all this Oni... as most of what you mentioned are indeed the most memorable and fundamental parts of the game. A damned shame.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By pyrodactyl
    @HBK619
    What's so bad about the checkpoint system in reality Oni? I don't understand your complaint when another 'the levels are super small' actually contradicts the checkpoint part of your hate argument.

The levels are definitely smaller than the usual Hitman levels in the past, at least for the most part. But it's that fact that helps negate any copious amount of checkpointing or need for save at anytime-ness.

I haven't found myself reloading a checkpoint only to have to go and do the same thing again for another 15-20 minutes as generally where you start doesn't need to be that far from where you actually finish a level. The only one that really shows a need for a checkpoint is probably the Library level, which getting about 2/3rds of the way through that could do with a checkpoint (not sure if there is one, wasn't on the route I took anyway).

But otherwise I really haven't come across many levels (assuming I'm about halfway through the game now, maybe more, maybe less) that are so long that you would be re-treading much if you do stuff something up and have to reload a checkpoint. Even then, if you can find a checkpoint in a level, get to the point where you want to save it then just go back and save there.

Personally I really haven't encountered an issue where lack of saves has hurt what I've been attempting to do in a level.  I have no issue with the checkpoint system what-so-ever.

I absolutely adore the Hitman series and loved Contracts and Blood Money. And I am absolutely loving this! It's Hitman through and through. There's obviously twists, but I feel for the most part, what's there is there abouts same weight as what you've got in previous games (at least in terms of Assassinations, there really wasn't a huge amount in past games). So the more linear 'chase'/'stealth' sequences are a nice little pace diversion. And if you are still wanting the elaborate set up assassinations, that stuff IS there too!

The disguise system is flawed. But it was also flawed in previous Hitman games too (albeit in a different way). I think this system is on the more realistic side however, is realistic a good thing or a bad thing? I am leaning more towards good, only because what results is you having to play smarter than just brazenly walking around a level instead of thinking it through more.

I was actually astounded watching the GiantBomb Quick Look at how different Brad ended up playing his QL to what I had played. When I was going through the game thinking 'jeez, there doesn't seem to be THAT much to do differently here'. Watching the QL completely changed my opinion and made me look even harder to find everything different inside each level (which led to a bunch of awesome results from my playtime earlier).
    Not sure how you managed that orphenage mission without breaking your controler in half.
    After retrying 20 times from the checkpoint, each time treading trough the same guard paterns and ambient dialogue, always getting spotted after a 5-6 minutes of tidious stealth gameplay, I said fuck it and shot a bunch of guys on my way to the fuse box.
    With manual saves, you can retry the hard part of the level without redoing the easy part over and over and over and over and over again.
    That checkpoint bullshit might be the most frustrating and baffling design decision I've seen in a longue time.
    hbk619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By hbk619
    @Oni said:

Yeah, that kind of sounds like a minor inconvenience. But if I have to be honest, you're really blowing it way out of proportion. Like, you realise that the first time you do something like that, this is how it works and so you just alter your game a bit to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

The big thing being that you also don't have to activate those checkpoints. And again, the levels are generally short enough that you don't need to activate them either unless you have some big moment (like 1/3 kills or something) that you'd want to use them - which is how I've chosen to do them (for example the 'Greaser' mission I managed to save at 2 different checkpoint spots one after the other each time I took out a target).

I just don't feel like these are big issues you're bringing up to warrant the 'Hate' or 'Do not buy' tags.

Checkpoint system = Minor inconvenience.
    Disguise system = Flawed yes, but it still does work, just need to get to know the system.
    Hard Difficulty = Yeah it's hard...it is called 'Hard difficulty'?  Purist is said to be the 'True Hitman Difficulty' so I guess you'd be fucked there considering the stipulations?
    Lots of Stealth levels = Definitely down to opinion. I don't mind it as it creates decent pacing. I can see why some wouldn't like the new direction there.
    Small levels = Yeah, plenty of small levels, but overall I feel you're getting the same, if not more than you have got in previous Hitman games in terms of content. And there's still the open level design going in plenty of levels.

So yeah, entitled to your opinion and such, but I think 'Do not buy' is an extremely harsh tag to apply and instantly put off those who may genuinely want to buy the game but are on the edge somewhat.
    Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@pyrodactyl said:

Not sure how you managed that orphenage mission without breaking your controler in half. After retrying 20 times from the checkpoint, each time treading trough the same guard paterns and ambient dialogue, always getting spotted after a 5-6 minutes of tidious stealth gameplay, I said fuck it and shot a bunch of guys on my way to the fuse box. With manual saves, you can retry the hard part of the level without redoing the easy part over and over and over and over and over again. That checkpoint bullshit might be the most frustrating and baffling design decision I've seen in a longue time.

You described my exact experience on that level. Got sick of trial and error, said fuck it and just slaughtered every single guy. Then I did the same in the following two parts of the chapter (where the enemies didn't seem to notice that there had been a holocaust upstairs). It wasn't much fun but it was still more fun than I had been having trying to go unnoticed. If the later levels devolve into a gunfire slaughter I think I'll just go with it and not reload them either. I just want to get through the game at this stage, finding it a real chore.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By begilerath

I have not played the game but I intend to do it. Some people complain about the disguises being "underpowered", I don't know how bad this is but I always find it kind of weird that in previous Hitman games disguises were so "overpowered". If I saw a really tall bald guy with a barcode on the back of his head and murder in his eyes I will be extremely suspicious of him.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Oni

@murisan said:

@Oni said:

Then you used that checkpoint before you got the keycard. That's a game systems thing. If you get the keycard before using a checkpoint, it saves it.

No actually, I did pick it up. I know 100% certain because I just had the same thing happen on a different level. Keycard, checkpoint, reload, no keycard. That's on the PC version, at least.

@HBK619: lol opinions. You don't put as much stock in my complaints, that's fine. But no one gets to tell anyone their complaints aren't valid, because you don't mind them so much. I don't mind disagreements, I welcome debate, but it annoys me when someone basically says "your opinions are wrong", even though I argumented them well from my pov.

Anyway I just finished the game, and like I said earlier I warmed up to it a lot. I still don't think it's super great, but I'd give it 3 stars. It's alright, and it does have a lot of replay value on specific levels. The challenges point you in the right directions to the various ways to kill people/complete objectives, and that's pretty cool.

Also running around in samurai armor with a katana slicing fools up is glorious.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Paindamnation

Game is fine by me.

hbk619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By hbk619
    @pyrodactyl said:

Not sure how you managed that orphenage mission without breaking your controler in half. After retrying 20 times from the checkpoint, each time treading trough the same guard paterns and ambient dialogue, always getting spotted after a 5-6 minutes of tidious stealth gameplay, I said fuck it and shot a bunch of guys on my way to the fuse box. With manual saves, you can retry the hard part of the level without redoing the easy part over and over and over and over and over again. That checkpoint bullshit might be the most frustrating and baffling design decision I've seen in a longue time.

That one did take me a long time to finish (although it was only the last 3 Fuses that took me a while, more specifically the one in the medical lab).

(Spoilering it for those that don't want to know what the level is about, it's fairly vague anyway though)

Definitely tough, but I got it eventually.   Personally, manual saving there for me would've only cut out about 1 extra minute of replaying per reload. Wasn't a big issue for me.

@Oni

said:

No actually, I did pick it up. I know 100% certain because I just had the same thing happen on a different level. Keycard, checkpoint, reload, no keycard. That's on the PC version, at least.

@HBK619: lol opinions. You don't put as much stock in my complaints, that's fine. But no one gets to tell anyone their complaints aren't valid, because you don't mind them so much. I don't mind disagreements, I welcome debate, but it annoys me when someone basically says "your opinions are wrong", even though I argumented them well from my pov.

Anyway I just finished the game, and like I said earlier I warmed up to it a lot. I still don't think it's super great, but I'd give it 3 stars. It's alright, and it does have a lot of replay value on specific levels. The challenges point you in the right directions to the various ways to kill people/complete objectives, and that's pretty cool.

Also running around in samurai armor with a katana slicing fools up is glorious.

Read my last line: "So yeah, entitled to your opinion and such, but I think 'Do not buy' is an extremely harsh tag to apply and instantly put off those who may genuinely want to buy the game but are on the edge somewhat."

Remember you've told people flat out, not to buy this game based on what you said in the first post (which let's face it, regardless of what you wrote afterwards, the majority of people will read that and then have their own opinion made up). Personally for what you wrote, I see that as extremely harsh as most of them can be marked down to relatively minor issues in the grand scheme of things. If you simply said "I see these things wrong with the game" and that's just about it, then I wouldn't see much need to reply, but you're telling people not to buy it to which I think there needs to be better clarification and reasoning as to how impactful these things really are.
    eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By eezo

@Oni said:

How do I hate thee, Hitman Absolution? Let me count the ways.

-Open, sandboxy levels with assassination targets have been mostly thrown out the window in favor of a crappy, mostly linear stealth game, like a worse Splinter Cell. I've played the first 5 missions, and the vast majority of the time was spent dodging patrolling guards.

-Stealth mechanics are bad. If a guard sees you, an arrow on the screen indicates which guard sees you, and once he's definitely for real spotted you, it turns red (the arrow changes shape to indicate growing suspicion). Remember disguises in past Hitman games? Throw them in the fucking garbage, they're worthless. It's a cool idea: Disguises of one type do not work well on guards wearing the same type of disguise. EG: a cop will see through your cop uniform because he knows you're not a cop. Problem: They will spot you from across the fucking map, as long as they have line of sight their suspicion will grow. get too close and your cover is instantly blown. Problem 2: Lots of levels with NOTHING BUT COPS. So, you'll spend most of your time simply avoiding enemies, or taking them out if you don't give a shit about being professional. You get docked points for this, even non-lethal takedowns. Oh yeah, the game now has a scoring system to tell you on the fly if you're a good assassin or a reckless dumbass. Which would be fine if not for...

-Playing on Hard (which is the middle difficulty, I might add) is just fucking ridiculous. Disguises are blown almost instantly, there are WAY more guards, to the point where it's literally impossible to make a 'clean' path through a level without getting spotted. You'll have to rely on sheer trial and error as you figure out the correct way, and we're talking timing that has to be ON THE FUCKING DOT or you get spotted, and everything devolves into a crappy action game, with quick-time melee fights and shootouts that just don't belong in a Hitman game. I mean, yeah you can shoot your way out, but to make the stealth path SO HARD that it's almost impossible is against the nature of the game. Deus Ex: HR and Dishonored are both better stealth games AND better action games, and Hitman is ostensibly ABOUT the stealth.

-No saves, just checkpoints (which you have to find and activate in the levels). That means the trial-and-error nature of the stealth is even more aggravating, as you'll waste time getting through bits you've already played or sit around waiting for the guards to move into the right positions. Why get rid of manual saves? Who knows. It's baffling. Furthermore, enemies you've disposed of before activating the checkpoint respawn upon reloading the checkpoint. What the actual fuck.

-Super small levels. Every mission is divided into several smaller maps, and when I say small I mean Deus Ex: Invisible War small. Even the assassination levels are tiny and don't offer nearly as many options as Hitman games of old. Remember the huge casino/hotel in Blood Money? If that level were in this game, every section would be its own level with its own silly objective. It would probably be 4 levels of dodging cops and guards and 1 level where you can roam around 5 rooms and find the couple ways to sneakily kill your target.

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I didn't even expect it to be as good as Blood Money, but it's barely even a Hitman game. Which wouldn't be so bad if it was a fun stealth game in its own right, but it's just not. It's not good on any level. Well, the graphics are good I suppose. Oh yeah, the story is bad too. And there's a LOT of it. And it locked up twice on the loading screen (pc version). GG. I have no idea how this game garnered positive reviews. It's true that it's not as aggravating on Normal, but even then it's just about passably mediocre at best. Avoid this garbage.

Sooooooo here we go:

1. Some missions are more open than others thats true, and i agree on the fact that i really like the open missions, but then again i do find it refreshing to have some sneaky gameplay just trying to avoid police etc.

2. To be completely honest, you say "remember disguises in past hitman games" and you seem to forget Silent Assasin, in that game it worked more or less the same as in this, people with the same clothes as you would be suspicious of you, which actually makes 100% sense if you're trying to be realistic about it. Also the mechanics of it are not bad, you just have to learn the limits of it and get better at using instinct i guess. I had the same issue as you to begin with, but now as iv'e completed 17/20 missions i've become really good at it and it doesn't frustrate me anymore because like i said earlier, i know the limits of the disguises. EDIT: At this point i can walk past 15-20 guards while wearing their uniform without being detected, just by utilizing some smart movement and use of instinct.

3. Playing on hard, should be hard, you can't say that it's a bad thing if you're having a hard time completing a game on a higher difficulty.

4. Again was thinking the same thing untill i actually played more of the game.. seeing as most of the game is fairly segmented from before i actually believe that saves would make it way to easy, aswell as if i can complete most missions without having to use any checkpoints neither should you (not being a dick, its just a fact)

5. Yet again, some levels are bigger than others. That goes for previous hitman games aswell, look at blood money for example, my favorite mission in that game was called "a new life" and that was one of the smallest leves in that game.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By sasnake

Theres a difference between not buying Hitman Absolution because its not like Blood Money, and dont buy it because its a bad game..it isnt a bad game.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By sasnake

Also, you have to..level up...47 first, with all the Assassin Techniques, before taking on hard and above.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By eezo

@SASnake said:

Theres a difference between not buying Hitman Absolution because its not like Blood Money, and dont buy it because its a bad game..it isnt a bad game.

@SASnake said:

Also, you have to..level up...47 first, with all the Assassin Techniques, before taking on hard and above.

This man knows what's up.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By sasnake

@Oni: Also, should try contracts mode, where the real challenge of Hitman lies.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Gruff182

This is the most disappointing good game I've played in a long time.

They seem to have designed the levels around the narrative, instead of coming up with great scenarios and then fitting the story into it.

Theres a few good bits like getting Lenny, but then it goes back into Sam Fisher mode and is really disappointing.

Thinking back to the Opera, the Mountain resort and Suburbia. Blood money had some great missions a lot of Absolution levels feels like a poor mans Splinter Cell.

killerclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#141  Edited By killerclaw

Its a good game on its own, just not a blood money sequel. I disagree with some of the points he makes, and I can guarantee you would be complaining if they hadn't made any drastic changes from Blood Money.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#142  Edited By TheHT

Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all!

I was happy that David Bateson's in it, but now I is sadface.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Phoenix778m

Seeing this thread makes me excited to see the reaction of farcry 3 when it comes out. I bet its going to be as mixed.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By deathbyyeti

as someone who has played all the hitmans

i like it a lot and contracts mode is fantastic

Moblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Moblin

I just started playing the Hitman games recently. I have only done a few missions. Pretty solid game but i do agree it does not feel like Blood Money (The best imo) from what i have seen. Maybe that will change

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Klei

@nail1080 said:

@Oni: Nice post, and you just confirmed all my fears about the direction the series is taking. I'll pass on this game, even though I can get it for free it still sounds meh plus I have many great games to play, just started Dishonoured and it's bloody fantastic.

He's just butthurt. It's a wonderful addition to the series. Don't miss a great game because someone rages against his inability to get resourceful.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Oni

Haha, being 'butthurt' about 'butthurt'. Oh, the ironings.

No seriously, the game is ok, but if you're die-hard Hitman fan, it's just not as good as past entries. I'd recommend getting it when it's half price or less, though.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#148  Edited By zaccheus

The game was ok, but it wasn't a level pack for Blood Money which was what I really wanted.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#149  Edited By huntad

For the record, I think telling people not to buy it because of those reasons is kind of harsh. However, I agree with most of these points except that the levels are too small. I think they are definitely smaller, but they still have plenty of options in them. Sure, it would've been nice to have smaller levels, but at least there is still a semblance of choice in the game.

Every other complaint you listed is spot on and a total bummer. The game is still fun to play (on the normal difficulty).

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By warxsnake

I really dont like it. And I'm typically a big Hitman fan. 

For a franchise built around player choice, you don't have much choice before going in a mission, you dont get access to a weapons bank or so on before a mission. They could have at least added a black market system or something. I bought a weapons an armor DLC thinking i'd get to use it, but those are only available in non-campaign mode that I'm not interested in. 

Also the game is blatant ripoff of most of Splinter Cell Conviction's core gameplay features (which is humbling, as a Ubi developer), it makes their marketing slogan "The original Assassin" even more ironic, as nothing in the gameplay loop is original. 
    Besides the presentation which is very well done, the rest is very mediocre and unsatisfying.  

Ever since the first gameplay trailer, I figured out the direction they were taking and was instantly disappointed; Hitman Conviction. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.