Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

First reviews of Hitman: Absolution are out

• 178 results
    abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By abendlaender

Jesus, that sounds terrible.

Seems like the first legit review to me, fuck those month-before-release "Offical XYZ Magazine" reviews. Man, I hope they are just overly harsh cause that would bum me out....I just want a good new Hitman game, can't play Bloodmoney forever....

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@PieGuy said:

Posted in Neogaf:

PC Gamer Review

62/100 - A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great.

Pros

- Nice looking locations

- Contracts mode is good, although not an adequate replacement of a proper Hitman game

- "One very good mission" near the end, but still not as good or as free as Blood Money

Cons

- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn

- Focus on (embarrassingly bad) story over gameplay

- PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute

- A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene

- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money

- Equipment system - can't choose weapons in main missions, or carry weapons over between missions

- Guard AI is strange, they will sometimes detect you walking where commando rolling wouldn't get you detected

- "Sneak by covering your face" idea is laughable

- DRM on Contracts mode - can't play any contracts, even your own, offline

Damn, that really sucks if this is the case.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ShaggE

@PieGuy: Holy hell. Unless he's outright lying, things seem pretty dire for this game.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Funkydupe

@PieGuy: Oh man... 62 from PC Gamer was lower than expected.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By xMrSunshine

All I see on Neogaf is a couple of people I've never heard of saying that they're holding the magazine in their hands and they're saying it got a shit review but I've yet to see scans or pictures or any other mention of the actual review. Every time scans come up a bunch of people yell SCAN R BANNABLE DURR. 

I'll believe it once I see the actual review on the site or at least some pictures of the magazine. As far as I know all other reviews have been up in the 90s. Even if PC Gamer gave it a negative review that hardly makes it a all around bad game. 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By phrosnite

Reviews from magazines? You're kidding, right?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#57  Edited By Kidavenger

@PieGuy: Oh a PC Gamer review? Is that the same place that gave Brink a higher score than Sleeping Dogs? The place that gave Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and The Old Republic no less than 93/100, that is a place people go for reliable reviews?

Fuck PC Gamer and everyone that works there up the ass, they shorted me on my subscription a few years ago, denied it and now they spam me with desperate pleas for me to come back, never going to happen.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By PieGuy

@Kidavenger: Don't rage at me. I just saw it and thought I would post it for the benefit of this thread.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#59  Edited By Kidavenger

@PieGuy: Not raging at you, just PC Gamer, and not really raging, I just like to talk shit about them after they screwed me around for so long.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By PieGuy

@Kidavenger: Sorry misinterpreted.

Whilst I think the score is low the problems with linearity and the checkpoint system keep cropping up, even in the positive reviews. Hope the embargo is lifted soon so we can have a clearer picture of the games quality.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By BrittonPeele

@PieGuy said:

Hope the embargo is lifted soon so we can have a clearer picture of the games quality.

You've still got a week to wait.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62  Edited By granderojo

@PieGuy said:

Posted in Neogaf:

PC Gamer Review

62/100 - A passable stealth game, but one that betrays almost everything that, until now, has made Hitman great.

Cons

- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn

- PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute

- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money

WHICH PC GAMER PUBLICATION WAS THIS. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY TELL ME IT WAS THE US, AND NOT THE UK AT LEAST.

CommanderZx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CommanderZx2

So far the only 'source' of this apparent PC gamer review is just some person on Neogaf. Without any sign of it anywhere else online or even a basic mobile phone picture of it there's no reason to believe them at all.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By granderojo

@CommanderZx2 said:

So far the only 'source' of this apparent PC gamer review is just some person on Neogaf. Without any sign of it anywhere else online or even a basic mobile phone picture of it there's no reason to believe them at all.

WHETHER THEY'RE ARE LYING OR TELLING THE TRUTH, I'M ANGRY EITHER WAY.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to play the first games honestly. They are sitting on my steam asking to be played but my PC is full memory, and I am too lazy. Though hopefully this game will be good too!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66  Edited By Castiel

@Brighty said:

Then again after how well Eidos handled Human Revolution I can't say I'm surprised at all that Hitman delivers faithfully. Super excited to get my hands on it.

Eidos had nothing to do with the development of this game. If the game turns out well, which it seems it does, it's IO Interactive's accomplishment. Eidos "only" published it.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By PieGuy

@Castiel said:

@Brighty said:

Then again after how well Eidos handled Human Revolution I can't say I'm surprised at all that Hitman delivers faithfully. Super excited to get my hands on it.

Eidos had nothing to do with the development of this game. If the game turns out well, which it seems it does, it's IO Interactive's accomplishment. Eidos "only" published it.

You are 100% correct. That said the next instalment of Hitman after Absolution has been confirmed for the next generation and to be DEVELOPED by Eidos regardless of how well/poorly this game does.

Incapability

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Incapability

I would take every magazine review with a grain of salt, especially those that someone found floating around the interbutts. There are still mangry man-babies out there who aren't at all excited about the new Hitman game, for reasons I can't seem to fully grasp.

However, one of the more dedicated forums, Hitmanforum.com, have people who are nearly autismally devoted to the series, a select handful of which were invited to play the game - I mean, the most dire critics of the series you can find, chosen to represent public opinion for that forum, and they thought it was pretty fantastic.

Again, this is naturally just another "oh look what I found on the Internet, opinions!" - but at least this one is quite well-documented and delivered by a party without a commercial interest.

tehsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By tehsam
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By kishinfoulux

That review seems so bitter, almost like it had a point to prove or something. Don't care either way. Still getting.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By granderojo

If it was Tom who reviewed it I'm scared. He thought really highly of Dishonored.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By abendlaender

Not that it matters—as many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless.

No...no...that simply can't be true....no

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By musubi

I love the logic here. High Score = Paid off Low Score = Real Review

I mean people still believe all this moneyhat bribe stuff? For christsakes people the lead time print magazines is pretty extreme. That doesn't mean they got paid off at all that means they got the game hella early so they could get their reviews out while the game is still relevant.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By NathanStack

@Demoskinos: One of the co-founders of the website you are posting on right now got FUCKING FIRED FROM HIS JOB over a review score and pressure from a publisher, and you doubt that the video game review business can be shady at times?

Think for a second, duder.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By pompouspizza

This is one of them game franchises that I love so much that no matter what the reviews are I will buy it day 1 regardless.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#76  Edited By musubi
    @familyphotoshoot No, he didn't. Listen to the talk Jeff had with John Davison about it. Listening to Jeff tell the story it had more to do with hr management being incompetent and way less to do with them being upset about the Kane and Lynch stuff. Jeff himself has denounced this idea that everyone in the industry is taking bribes in the jar time videos himself.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By dragonzord

@Incapability said:

I would take every magazine review with a grain of salt, especially those that someone found floating around the interbutts. There are still mangry man-babies out there who aren't at all excited about the new Hitman game, for reasons I can't seem to fully grasp.

However, one of the more dedicated forums, Hitmanforum.com, have people who are nearly autismally devoted to the series, a select handful of which were invited to play the game - I mean, the most dire critics of the series you can find, chosen to represent public opinion for that forum, and they thought it was pretty fantastic.

Again, this is naturally just another "oh look what I found on the Internet, opinions!" - but at least this one is quite well-documented and delivered by a party without a commercial interest.

There you have it. People who post on hitmanforum.com are clearly the most dire critics. Fanboys of a game series are the realest of reviewers.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Kerned

@dragonzord said:

There you have it. People who post on hitmanforum.com are clearly the most dire critics. Fanboys of a game series are the realest of reviewers.

Are you being sarcastic? Fanboys will rabidly defend the thing they love no matter what.

Sneeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Sneeze

@Kerned: @Kerned said:

@dragonzord said:

Are you being sarcastic? Fanboys will rabidly defend the thing they love no matter what.

Ehh.. all I can say to that is: Mass Effect 3 ending

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Kerned

@Sneeze said:

@dragonzord said:

Yeah, fair enough. But the people who lost their shit about ME3 actually played the whole game, not just a portion of it at the invitation of the developer. It's not a fair comparison.

Sneeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sneeze

@Kerned said:

@Sneeze said:

@dragonzord said:

Yeah, fair enough. But the people who lost their shit about ME3 actually played the whole game, not just a portion of it at the invitation of the developer. It's not a fair comparison.

Well I have no idea how much those guys were allowed to play, none the less it doesn't change that fanboys can change to flamewars in a heartbeat. :D

Now I've read some of what that PC Gamer guy wrote in his review, and I'm not sure I can take it serious.. He complains about not getting awesome guns to start with, and not being able to quicksave every second.. Why would that ever be a thing in Hitman?

He also just wants to do assassinations all the time and no walking. Does he even know the point of the Hitman series?

Or is it me that's wrong in my idea of how Hitman is supposed to be played?

mclakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#82  Edited By mclakers

Loved Blood Money. And for 30 bucks from GMG its worth the risk. already pre ordered.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Kerned

@Sneeze: That isn't how I read it. He's not complaining about not being able to quicksave "every second," but about their being no saves, just checkpoints. That would be a problem. Saving and experimenting is a HUGE part of the Hitman series. As far as him wanting to do assassinations all the time, I'm not sure what you mean.

At any rate, I suspect that you and I both hope very much that this game ends up being awesome. I'm just going to wait till it comes out, read some reviews, watch the guys do a Quick Look and decide for myself. :)

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MikkaQ

Ahh the classic OXM/OPM 9/10. Seriously, are all the other numbers broken at those publications' keyboards?

Sneeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Sneeze

@Kerned: I just think it's weird wanting checkpoints in hitman, atleast without some consequence. It's not that I want it to be like Dark Souls (oh god), but still.. I know experimenting is a large part and it stills seems possible from what I've read other places, maybe he's doing it wrong? :P Oh and he talks about being annoyed because he feels there's not enough assassinations and to much walking. And sure, we all love a good assassination, but walking around, setting up a good kill, has always been a part of hitman.

And yeah, I reeeeeaaally hope this game doesn't suck, not only for the Hitman series but also for IO interactive.. They really need this to be good after having "fun" with Mini Ninjas + Kane And Lynch :S

In the end I guess it's probably one of those games you love or hate for it's weird mechanics, maybe this guy had to much nostalgia of Blood money - for Absolution to ever live up to it? Guess we'll know soon!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By korwin

PC Gamer gave the game a 62% citing it as a poorly optimized mess on the PC platform coupled with some shitty DRM measures. Seems like a legit complaint to me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#87  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Kerned said:

@dragonzord said:

Fanboys defending the games they love mostly applies to current ongoing franchises.

However when someone tries to resurrect a beloved older franchise the tables are reversed and the oldschool fans are frequently the most critical. See: Xcom, Deus Ex, Fallout, Syndicate, etc; and just likewise even for Hitman when the initial trailers came out the most negative comments on boards/videaos were from Hitman series fans.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By bybeach

@Tennmuerti said:

@Kerned said:

@dragonzord said:

Fanboys defending the games they love mostly applies to current ongoing franchises.

However when someone tries to resurrect a beloved older franchise the tables are reversed and the oldschool fans are frequently the most critical. See: Xcom, Deus Ex, Fallout, Syndicate, etc; and just likewise even for Hitman when the initial trailers came out the most negative comments on boards/videaos were from Hitman series fans.

The nun scene threw a bunch of ppl.off. Thry didn't seem to know or they forgot one of the common things about agent 47 is he tends to be more ethical than whomever he is contending with. Lets say higher business ethics, better phrasing on my part. He does not drink or party or allow himself other vices ,or to judge for that matter.. At one point he assists a 'mistress' acuaintance who explains she' does what she does because the hours are short and the pay good'.

Least that is how I played him when he was trying to save that priest who was his benefactor, second Hitman game I believe.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By prestonhedges

@Korwin said:

PC Gamer gave the game a 62% citing it as a poorly optimized mess on the PC platform coupled with some shitty DRM measures. Seems like a legit complaint to me.

They'll probably be the only ones to notice. :(

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By RE_Player1

I forgot this was coming out. I'm a Hitman fan but that week belongs to Persona 4 Golden for me.

feces_pieces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By feces_pieces

"many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless."

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TheIronWeasel

Same guy gave Max Payne 3 a 55%, so regardless of the quality of the review his tastes are not in line with mine.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By envane

6 days bitches

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Kerned said:

@Sneeze: He's not complaining about not being able to quicksave "every second," but about their being no saves, just checkpoints. That would be a problem. Saving and experimenting is a HUGE part of the Hitman series.

This has me worried, but I think I'll still enjoy it even if that turns out to be the case, especially with contracts mode.

black2s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By black2s

@Sneeze said:

@Kerned: I just think it's weird wanting checkpoints in hitman, atleast without some consequence. It's not that I want it to be like Dark Souls (oh god), but still.. I know experimenting is a large part and it stills seems possible from what I've read other places, maybe he's doing it wrong? :P Oh and he talks about being annoyed because he feels there's not enough assassinations and to much walking. And sure, we all love a good assassination, but walking around, setting up a good kill, has always been a part of hitman.

And yeah, I reeeeeaaally hope this game doesn't suck, not only for the Hitman series but also for IO interactive.. They really need this to be good after having "fun" with Mini Ninjas + Kane And Lynch :S

In the end I guess it's probably one of those games you love or hate for it's weird mechanics, maybe this guy had to much nostalgia of Blood money - for Absolution to ever live up to it? Guess we'll know soon!

He probably means there aren't enough true sandbox assassination-levels and a lot of "get from A to B while avoiding cops" missions.

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By TheIronWeasel

It sounds like its just a more modern game, but from everything I've seen and read its still a Hitman game through and through.

CitizenKano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CitizenKano

@TheIronWeasel: It is not just his tastes if he is stating what is wrong with the game. A reviewers track record does not mean this isn't a bummer of a game, if of course what he says turns out to be true.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#98  Edited By scroll

@TheIronWeasel: If modernizing means taking out the sandbox and having most assassinations during cut scenes then it isn't a hitman game. The previews were fairly indicative of this with demo's focusing on scripted action focused events.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#99  Edited By Yummylee

@Feces_Pieces said:

"many of the assassinations you perform are pre-determined cutscenes in which Agent 47 fails to kill his target, rendering all of your work pointless."

That quote fucking terrifies me D=

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By Arebuckle

@Feces_Pieces said:

This is... disconcerting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.