Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hitman: Absolution

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

Agent 47 returns after a six-year hiatus to embark on a mission of redemption for the only person he could ever trust.

Hitman Absolution having performance issues on my PC

jaymag94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jaymag94

So I have started playing Hitman Absolution today after pre ordering on steam and I am getting fairly low fps (20 - 30) whilst playing on medium settings even though my PC can run most games at max or close to max settings easily. I'm wondering whether this is a problem other people are encountering or is it just me. I have updated to the most recent graphics card drivers and that hasn't fixed it so I'm not sure what else to do but play the game on lower settings. if someone has some insight into my problem it would be much appreciated.

My PC specs are:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 OC

Ram: 8gb's

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zella

I would guess that most likely the game isn't optimized well with AMD cards, unless your most recent driver states it's designed to work with Hitman I'd put my money on that being the problem.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Yeah according to the PCGamer review it runs like ass. Hopefully it'll get patched, but I guess we can add it to the leagues of poop console ports. Shame considering this game's roots.

jaymag94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jaymag94

@AlexW00d: Hopefully it does get patched soon because I really want to play it and its incredibly irritating trying to play it in its current state. I have a friend that also has an AMD card and pre ordered the game, ill have to wait and see if he gets a similar issue.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Trillian

I have to agree i have a i5 3570k and a 660 with 16 gigs and it runs pretty crummy

Found this on anandtech today just incase anyone is looking for how there gfx card holds up as a general guide.

http://tinyurl.com/dxudwun

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By intro

It's not out yet I thought? I have it pre-ordered too but can't play it until it's unlocked at midnight.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By AssInAss

I'm having no trouble, I have a laptop with Ati mobility 5650 and can run the game fine on 30 fps and above at medium settings.

That's just for a laptop.

jaymag94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaymag94

@Intro: Not sure why that is, it unlocked for me last night.

@AssInAss: Thats strange, I don't understand how mine could be having such big issues with it. I managed to play the first mission (tutorial)l on medium settings and it stayed around 30 fps but in the second level it started dropping around the 21 or less mark in a lot of parts.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CannonGoose

I have a 560Ti and it was running like an absolute nut sack until I turned off MSAA. Seems like MSAA in this game eats waaaaaay more performance than it does in other games. Now I can have SSAO and other nice settings on and it's 50-60 all the time.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By intro

@jaymag94 said:

@Intro: Not sure why that is, it unlocked for me last night.

@AssInAss: Thats strange, I don't understand how mine could be having such big issues with it. I managed to play the first mission (tutorial)l on medium settings and it stayed around 30 fps but in the second level it started dropping around the 21 or less mark in a lot of parts.

Well I did just pre purchase on steam today. I'm not worried as the release date isn't until tomorrow anyway

jaymag94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jaymag94

@CannonGoose: Thanks for the advise, I turned off MSAA and now I can have everything at max (except MSAA) and it runs at 40+ fps. :)

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FritzDude

It's the multisample anti aliasing. The way MSAA eats the performance in this game you would think it's SSAA instead. I turned that completely OFF & turned ON FXAA. I went from iconsistent 15-30 frames to constant 120 frames on 120 refresh rate. & honestly I didn't see much of a difference on the aliasing. The game looks gorgeous on ultra. One of the best looking game I've seen in a while. I use a GTX 680 if anyone was curious.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie

Good thing I decided to wait on this then...now if only Ubi will hurry the fuck up so I can play AC 3.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishinfoulux

I've got a 580 and MSAA, as pointed out, really hurts the FPS. I turned it off and was getting an average of 50 FPS with a high of 70 and low of 40, or something to that extent. Made a huge difference. Everything else is maxed out.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By ethan_raiden

I'm thinking of buying this today on Steam, I have a fairly good computer, have we come to the conclusion that MSAA is the reason for sub 30FPS video?

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Giefcookie

@Ethan_Raiden: Yeah its the MSAA. Dunno why but it was eating up about 20-25 fps for me.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

60 dollars wisely spent :)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

Yeah according to the PCGamer review it runs like ass. Hopefully it'll get patched, but I guess we can add it to the leagues of poop console ports. Shame considering this game's roots.

I love uninformed garbage posts like these. How is a game that looks phenomenally better than the console counterparts a poop console port? They give you every graphical option you could ask for. That's what shows they have the PC crowd in mind because you can tinker until you find your own personal sweet spot. Would it have been a better port if they had just turned off all the graphical option and made them unavailable to the user so the framerate doesn't take a hit?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlexW00d

@Hunkulese said:

@AlexW00d said:

I love uninformed garbage posts like these. How is a game that looks phenomenally better than the console counterparts a poop console port? They give you every graphical option you could ask for. That's what shows they have the PC crowd in mind because you can tinker until you find your own personal sweet spot. Would it have been a better port if they had just turned off all the graphical option and made them unavailable to the user so the framerate doesn't take a hit?

A game that doesn't look much better than most other PC games yet runs SO much worse? That's a bad port. Metro 2033 has a fuck tonne of graphical options yet it's still unoptimised as fuck, doesn't matter that it's a straight up PC game, it's still unoptimised. Just cause things have had the PC in mind doesn't automatically stop them from being poor.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

Runs like butter with a GTX670. Only problem I've had is a crash, possibly brought on by trying to minimize the game (some games hate that). 4X MSAA 16XAF and Ultra rest.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese said:

@AlexW00d said:

A game that doesn't look much better than most other PC games yet runs SO much worse? That's a bad port. Metro 2033 has a fuck tonne of graphical options yet it's still unoptimised as fuck, doesn't matter that it's a straight up PC game, it's still unoptimised. Just cause things have had the PC in mind doesn't automatically stop them from being poor.

Again you're making uninformed garbage posts and you clearly haven't played it. The game looks and runs amazing if you turn off MSAA and I'm sure can look even better if your gpu can handle it. I'm running it on ultra with MSAA off and it runs just fine and I don't have an amazing video card (560 ti).

How does bringing up Metro 2033 support your argument that this is a poop console port? It looks and runs way better than the console versions and it's cheaper. It's far better than what you get with the console version and there's no reason not to pick it up for PC. Just leave this thread until you've played the game and stop making yourself look like an idiot.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#22  Edited By alistercat

Some Nvidia beta drivers were released today and the site says they are essential for hitman.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker
    @Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese said:

@AlexW00d said:

Again you're making uninformed garbage posts and you clearly haven't played it. The game looks and runs amazing if you turn off MSAA and I'm sure can look even better if your gpu can handle it. I'm running it on ultra with MSAA off and it runs just fine and I don't have an amazing video card (560 ti).

How does bringing up Metro 2033 support your argument that this is a poop console port? It looks and runs way better than the console versions and it's cheaper. It's far better than what you get with the console version and there's no reason not to pick it up for PC. Just leave this thread until you've played the game and stop making yourself look like an idiot.

Also Metro 2033 pc isn't a port. the 360 version is the port of Metro
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexW00d

@Dagbiker said:

@Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese said:

@AlexW00d said:

I quite clearly said it's a straight up PC game, though. And as I said, that doesn't stop it from being poor. We all have different levels of standard and if this doesn't matter to you then good for you, but I would still consider it poor. And if, as posted above, even Nvidia are claiming it needs new beta drivers then they clearly think it's poor too.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By twigger89

@AlexW00d said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese said:

@AlexW00d said:

I quite clearly said it's a straight up PC game, though. And as I said, that doesn't stop it from being poor. We all have different levels of standard and if this doesn't matter to you then good for you, but I would still consider it poor. And if, as posted above, even Nvidia are claiming it needs new beta drivers then they clearly think it's poor too.

Most modern games need drivers to optimize the games performance for that particular game. The fact that nvidia was able to come out with drivers the day of the release means they had ample time to work on it, which is a good thing.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

@twigger89: That's a fair point actually.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese said:

@AlexW00d said:

So Metro 2033 is poorly optimized and Xi Jinping is the new leader of China. Both have about the same relevance to the quality of the port of Hitman: Absolution. I've said it before but I see it's hard for you to let go of the "I know all because I have the internets" thing you have going. Play the game first if you don't want to sound like an idiot. Come back with some personal reference and people will take what you have to say seriously. Nvidia releasing new drivers means nothing. They do it for every major PC release and continue to do it for games that are trying to push their gpus. They'll still releasing driver updates that improve the quality of Civ V and Skyrim. Does that make those games poop console ports as well?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlexW00d

@Hunkulese: I think it's more the fact that they said it's essential. And how do you even know I haven't played it since I made my first post 20 hours ago? Maybe I have put a bunch of hours in? How is such an assumption any different to what you claim I am doing? Other than it being something you can use to make yourself look better than someone on this 'internets' thing you speak of.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese: I think it's more the fact that they said it's essential. And how do you even know I haven't played it since I made my first post 20 hours ago? Maybe I have put a bunch of hours in? How is such an assumption any different to what you claim I am doing? Other than it being something you can use to make yourself look better than someone on this 'internets' thing you speak of.

It's a marketing thing. They say it's essential so everyone downloads it. It's also obvious that you haven't played the game because you're maintaining your stance that it's a poor performing game. Everyone in this thread who has played the game says the game runs fine. Even the guy who started the thread changed his view once he turned off MSAA. You're spreading false information about a game you've never played.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlexW00d

@Hunkulese: Eh whatever, you can think I am spreading false information (even though it's an opinion) you're clearly never gonna shut up about this shit. You think it's acceptable, I don't, simple.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese

@AlexW00d said:

@Hunkulese: Eh whatever, you can think I am spreading false information (even though it's an opinion) you're clearly never gonna shut up about this shit. You think it's acceptable, I don't, simple.

Hahahaha you just can't let it go eh? Exactly what isn't acceptable? Does every PC game need to run at 327 fps with every conceivable option maxed on a Chromebook to get a pass from you? The game runs fine without the new drivers installed. I have everything on ultra except MSAA on a middle of the road system and haven't seen any slowdown yet. Multiple people have came in here and said the game runs fine. Your opinion is based off of one review that has since been amended. So unless you've actually played the retail version and have seen the game running poorly please go away.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Conzed92

Bought the game today, and like some of the others, I too have been experiencing problems with FPS, and general problems with how smooth the game runs. I run with a GTX 560 and an Athlon x4, seems like my computer should be able to handle the game alright.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Trillian

@Conzed92: The graphics card is good for the game but the AMD cpu might be limiting it. Just something to keep in mind did some benchmarks yesterday with my 660 at 1080p and a few Intel and AMD CPU and it seems the game is little cpu dependent. Mind me asking what athlon x4 cpu your running?

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Conzed92

@Trillian: I'll get back to you on that one, can't remember right now, and I can't access my desktop as of now. However, thanks for the advice, I have been contemplating to change it, I just need to figure out which one would be suitable. You wouldn't be able to give advice on such a matter? :D

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zungerman090

@FritzDude: How do I switch off MSAA? Is it just under the Anti-Aliasing in the settings?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By gaminghooligan

yep I was playing on mid settings assuming it was just my pc under performing getting around 30fps, turned off msaa and bam its 50+ on high settings.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karkarov

@AlexW00d:

No, your information is patented BS. I own the game on PC, I have played it myself, I know exactly how good it looks, runs, and handles. I even have the Fraps footage and benchmark results to prove it. I play the game on Ultra and it looks awesome with or without MSAA. Frankly my PC is good enough that I can actually get over 40 FPS even with MSAA on, but I still turn it off anyway for the stable 60+, that is how little a difference MSAA makes visually. PS: That was before I installed the latest drivers from GeForce.com. I actually lost 2-3 fps on the benchmark AFTER I installed the newest ones. So much for "needing the newest drivers", as if downloading and installing drivers is hard to begin with.

@zungerman090 said:

@FritzDude: How do I switch off MSAA? Is it just under the Anti-Aliasing in the settings?

It is on the "Display" tab when you click Options on the games launcher window. Specifically it is the second to last option in the left hand column, right above the Stereoscopic check box.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By RIDEBIRD

MSAA seems to cause a lot of problems on my 670. It eats performance (but looks pretty great), but the main issue is that it crashes to desktop after 5-20 minutes of starting.. Been running it fine for five hours now without MSAA, with nVidias FXAA (in the control panel) on instead. I normally dislike FXAAs blurriness, but it's looks fine here.

nemesis1512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nemesis1512

I'm running Hitman: Absolution with quad 3.6ghz (intel) with ATI Radeon 7950 (HD) (2GB).

And whether I run it on highest options or lowest options, I get 60fps, which frequently drops to 0fps for a couple of minutes.

hat do you suggest the problem is?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#40  Edited By Kidavenger

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.