Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

So there's a LOTof advertising in this game (some spoilers)

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MayorFeedback

Woah, what happened in the subject line, there? I must look like a bright one, eh?

Kind of spoilers, I guess, but nothing very important, and certainly nothing the game should be proud of.

All right, so I'm about halfway through Homefront on the PC and it's sort of really, really terrible. It pains me to say it, cause while I wasn't expecting it to be super great or anything, I was looking forward to shooting some dudes and such. And I am about as forgiving a gamer you'll meet (I loved Alpha Protocol and Bionic Commando, for example, in spite of their glaring faults). But, I mean, WOW. This game is super rough. 

Luckily, though, there is a ton of in-game advertising and pretty much all of it makes me laugh.  It's, what, 2027 in the game? I sort of like how there is some brand name stuff here and there cause, well, that's America! I don't mind that in games so much. But I find it really hysterical in this context. Everything is super serious around you. Mass graves, parents killed in front of children, and whatnot. You know, edgy stuff. But then you're walking around and you see this: 

(FULL-SIZED VERSIONS OF ALL THESE ARE IN THIS GALLERY, IF YOU WANT A CLOSER LOOK:  http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/drhans/homefront-in-game-ads/52-533619/)

No Caption Provided
    The Hooters sign was funny on its own, just off there on its own in the distance, but... 

No Caption Provided
    Someone actually yells at you, "Quick, get inside the Hooters!" Goddamn North Koreans, GET OUT OF MY HOOTERS. Is nothing sacred? 

Then, of course, there's this: 

No Caption Provided
    If you're wondering if you end up having a lengthy battle inside of said Tiger Direct... 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Yep, that's the main menu of the game if you're in chapter 3. 

And yeah, all the vending machines are full of NOS energy drink. Why wouldn't they be?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    There's a Jansport and Coffee Beanery back there if you look close enough (not the best screenshot, but I was under "HEAVY FIRE!!!", as were my squad mates. I know this because everyone in the game will make sure you understand that they are under "HEAVY FIRE!!!" every seven seconds).  

No Caption Provided
    Even the multiplayer's not safe. Some context: this is on the Cul-De-Sac map, which is just a suburban neighborhood. Homes, cars, white picket fences, giant Pabst Blue Ribbon billboards in people's backyards, you know. Suburbia

Anyway, those are just a few of what I'm sure are many more completely hilarious in-game ads to come. Again, I don't hate advertisements in games, and these aren't even close to the biggest reasons the game is rotten. It's just a real shame cause I was hoping for a decent shooter, but, once more, WOW. I'd have a hard time recommending it during a crazy Steam sale. Hopefully it will improve a bit by the end, but it's so fundamentally broken and poorly designed that there's only so much they can do at this point. I'll post more as I run into them.
    jdheeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jdheeter

They pitch the ads as being more immersive, and helping to drive home the reality of what is happening.  My feelings are mixed on whether it actually does that or if it is just a cheap ploy to get ad dollars.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

eh. im okay with it. with the exception of hooters, its non interfering enough for me. theres worse things

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Get inside the hooters is my motto for life.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald
    @jdheeter said:
    " They pitch the ads as being more immersive, and helping to drive home the reality of what is happening.  My feelings are mixed on whether it actually does that or if it is just a cheap ploy to get ad dollars. "
    To be fair, I think it might have been more immersive if they took the time to make the ads look less fake. 

Ads in real life are usually more than one gigantic logo on a single coloured background.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mesklinite

I haven't noticed any of it so far.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MayorFeedback

Yeah, like I said, ads don't normally bug me. But they're super weird in this game and end up being really distracting, especially when contrasted against the tone they're going for.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pweidman
    @mesklinite said:
    "I haven't noticed any of it so far. "

Not really an issue anyway, as the game's set in the US, and any billboard stuff is expected.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Branthog

It's a double edged sword. You want to have things in the game that the player will recognize so as to immerse them in the experience. To make them feel like this is really happening at home, where they live. On the other hand, how do you accomplish that if you fill the world with goofy "fake" sounding restaurants and products? Unfortunately, it loses any sense of immersion, when the "big box computer store" is called "TigerDirect"... a company that has no physical store in real life.   Worse, when their name is plastered fucking EVERYWHERE. 

More, they have Whitecastle ads and a Whitecastle restaurant in the game, as it takes place in Colorado. Only problem is there aren't any Whitecastle's in Colorado. Whitecastle is an East Coast thing and they don't have any restaurants west of Kentucky.

I normally hate advertising in a game, unless it truly is used to produce an immersive environment. Something that would not be accomplished using fake ads or no ads at all. But when you do that, you can't just take four advertisers and plaster them ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE endlessly.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By capthavic

I know that since it's taking place in the US that you would expect to find ads and such around the place and you could easily make parody brands in the place of reals one, but ok fair enough you can use real ones too. What really gets my goat is just how in your face and blatant most of them are, not to mention that most in perfect condition despite being in the middle of a warzone! Seriously I think that tigerdirect store (hah!) doesn't even have a scratch on it! The vending machines look in pretty damn good shape too :P

scorch62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By scorch62

Considering how heavily advertised everything is in the US, it's completely understandable for there to be product placement in a game about an invasion in the US.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jdheeter said:
    " They pitch the ads as being more immersive, and helping to drive home the reality of what is happening.  My feelings are mixed on whether it actually does that or if it is just a cheap ploy to get ad dollars. "
    Maybe this is why their stocks dropped 21% after the game was released. 
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @drhans: How is this game rough, exactly? Do the guns feel off? Is the shooting a bit weird? Are the enemies bullet sponges? What exactly feels off?
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Punk1984

Arnie voice - "Get to da Hoota-s!"

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MayorFeedback
    @Napalm: I might write a real review when I'm finished, but know that 1. I really am super forgiving of faults and bugs and problems in video games of all kinds and 2. I'm struggling to find anything positive to say about the game at all. =( 

The shooting of dudes is functional enough (though all the guns sound almost identical), but it's really as if someone set out to make a game that includes every possible obnoxious thing about bad first-person shooters in the last decade. So, if you enjoy waiting forever for someone to open every door for you, having a character that runs slower than most folks walk, enemies that spawn out of nowhere five feet in front of you, squad mates that take the best cover spots and then don't shoot anyone, invisible walls, infinitely respawning enemies, infinitely repeated lines of dialog in combat, and on and on, then this is your game. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

Those Koreans may take our freedom, but they'll never take our Hooters!

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By kmg90
    @drhans said:
    " @Napalm: I might write a real review when I'm finished, but know that 1. I really am super forgiving of faults and bugs and problems in video games of all kinds and 2. I'm struggling to find anything positive to say about the game at all. =(  The shooting of dudes is functional enough (though all the guns sound almost identical), but it's really as if someone set out to make a game that includes every possible obnoxious thing about bad first-person shooters in the last decade. So, if you enjoy waiting forever for someone to open every door for you, having a character that runs slower than most folks walk, enemies that spawn out of nowhere five feet in front of you, squad mates that take the best cover spots and then don't shoot anyone, invisible walls, infinitely respawning enemies, infinitely repeated lines of dialog in combat, and on and on, then this is your game.  "
    Exactly, all the FPS shooter cliches are present in this game, from the waiting for your worthless squadmates to break open a door or move something out of the way, to invisible walls 

What REALLY was a slap in the face to me gameplay-wise was that during one point the game lets the player OPEN a door and what i mean by open is break open the door and go slow-mo ala MW2 breach style...

This game had a good story going it just seemed they slacked in the gameplay department
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CastroCasper
    @jdheeter said:
    If that is their reasoning, I would have to disagree. The vivid colors and clarity of the real ads compared to the poorly designed, generic ass ads makes for a weird environment.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Romination

I feel like this one matters the least out of all the inconsequential bitching people have already done about ads in games. My problem would be that they could probably use MORE brands just to hammer the point home of it being America. It was probably hard enough to get these ones, given the ideas presented in the game.@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @jdheeter said:
    Maybe this is why their stocks dropped 21% after the game was released.  "
    could you clarify? Did the companies who advertise in it have stock drops, or did THQ?
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Red12b

2027 Nos is your go to drink for everything, CATCH IT!
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By CenturionCajun

I honestly don't have a problem with it and found it real impressive they went to the effort to get actual companies to advertise. It's usually pretty difficult to get a real company to let you trash their restaurants or products in a piece of entertainment. Case in point no company being willing to let Dawn of the Dead use their name in the shopping mall.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CastroCasper

Oh and I forgot. The first big billboard ad you see is for White Castle, the hamburger joint. This is in the Montrose, Colorado level. However we don't have a single White Castle in Colorado, so that was weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.