Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homeworld

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 28, 1999

Homeworld is an acclaimed 1999 outer space real-time strategy game developed by Relic Entertainment. Touted as a "3D" real-time strategy title, Homeworld allows units to be moved freely in three dimensions.

Homeworld Remastered

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Zurv

I'm super pumped out this.. odd that there are no post here about it. Homeworld is one of fav games of all time and this is a proper remastering of it. This isn't just a tweak of the old one to run on modern OS/hardware/resolutions. They went back to the original art, audio, etc and redid it all (but keeping gameplay the same). The new games is over 20gigs! (the original fit on a CD). Also with 4k min mind too! (hopefully sli works!)

gearbox bought the rights for homeworld when THQ went under.

The remastered version will have homeworld 1 and homeworld 2 (cataclysm was done by a different group and wasn't part of the sale).

Argh! i can't wait till it is out - 3 more days!. (it is on sale on steam now - 15% off).

They multiplayer isn't "done" yet and there will be a beta of it when the game launches. It has all the factions from both games in it. Anyone up for trying a few comp stomp matches or something (after i finish playing thru both games first!)

Story Trailer:

37 min from pax:

ramdom video of cataclysm i made a year or two ago (while it isn't part of the remaster.. a shame as it was my fav one.. you can see the grafix upgrade)

http://youtu.be/Gn_kWkVvhy8?t=3m55s <-- this sequence always stuck with me for some reason.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've always been in love with the Homeworld games, but man I sucked at playing them. Nevertheless, I am going to try and beat them when they come out in glorious HD.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, 3 days? I totally forgot it was coming so soon.

Never played Homeworld but I remember watching my brother play it, it looked amazing back then (and still holds up well today).

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zurv

The old ones still kinda worked. you just have to break out massive AA/AF to clear the jaggies. The interface took up like a HUGE part of the screen. From the pax video they said the HUD was static and made for 640x480 or something crazy :)

I LOVED homeworld 1 and cata.. but never finished 2. One of the best things in both of those games is stealing enemy units and bringing them with you to the next mission. In homeworld 2 they always had the enemy fleet in a new zone match your numbers - so it was always better to scrap your ships before going to the next mission to have resources and the enemy have few ships. which was lame. There must have been other reasons i didn't like 2 either, but i can't recall.

I do recall playing cata a bunch of time :)

i'm REALLY happy too that they know 4k is out there and planned for it. I'll throw up a 4k video of it when it is out. :)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I only ever played 2 but really liked it, though the story seemed like nonsense to me. Probably because I never played 1.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zurv

i want this sooo bad.

homeworld 2 remastered mission 1 and 2 (with lame user talking over)

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Homeworld Remastered Collection - Cinematics Trailer:

Loading Video...

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. I think this is in contention for the most complete and extensive remaster ever...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I really loved all the designs of the capital ships in Homeworld 2. Might pick this up to re-live the memories.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched that 37 minute video - I love how nice it looks. I have always been interested in Homeworld but never got around to playing it.

I've always loved space strategy games (Sins of a Solar Empire is among my favorite games / series), so this definitely caught my eye, but until that video I wasn't too sure on the game.

Yeah, I think I'll be picking this one up. Always up for another space game.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zurv
    No Caption Provided

<-- that beam will light up the battlefield. :) (they added beam shots as light sources)

There are options to lock you view on a single unit (eye icon.. middle mouse button).. if i recall you can also POV a unit too. I'd always like following a enemy fighter far off and watch it catch sight of my ships (and die).

I wonder what they did with formations. I used them a lot in the old game.

My fav unit from the first game where those mini egg looking bleam ships. Kadesh Multi-Beam Frigates (4 icon cannons!). They will be even more cool with the lighting. Note! you can only hi-hack those units. so in mission 7 (or 8) when you mean kadesh... hella steal a ton of them :)

Taiidan ion cannon is cool too.. but steal from them their cool missile destroyer :) (Kushan (what you play) units are.. ok looking.. )

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv: I loved that part. I spend most of the time in Sins games zoomed in on units during battles, and look forward to doing that with this.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zurv
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv: Haha. The only mod I've slapped onto Sins was indeed Sins of the Prophets, because Halo is my favorite game series / universe. It's pretty good if you like both Halo and Sins. The voices are solid, the ships look real nice, and the music is great...it's like the Halo fleet combat game I've always wanted.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I've been excited but cautious about it... Gearbox has done a nice job for the most part with games handled in-house but the stuff they hand off has a much spottier track record Borderlands Vita, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, etc.

I'm taking a wait and see approach and I hope it turns out well.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am very excited, I actually through half way through Homeworld 1 last year for the first time and quite because I saw the remastered version coming, very exciting.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Humanity

Out of that entire 37 minute video the thing that stands out the most to me is the completely messed up way British people say "decals"

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zurv

@jbg4 said:

I've been excited but cautious about it... Gearbox has done a nice job for the most part with games handled in-house but the stuff they hand off has a much spottier track record Borderlands Vita, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, etc.

I'm taking a wait and see approach and I hope it turns out well.

gearbox normally scares me too. But they aren't doing a new vision for the game. They used a bunch of the old assets and old tools. (and work closely with the people that made the first one. watch the 37min video.. really good.) and are just updating the game with new textures, hud, higher sampled audio etc.

in part of the video was the lead guy that made the first two (and is working on this) said he didn't want to star wars it - ie, no jar jar.

My main fear is taking some of the balancing they had in hw2 and bring it to hw1 (make the enemy matching the number of ships you started with... makes it pointless to build a huge fleet then..)

maybe a bug or two too.. but that is the same with any games.

If this was a remake (like syndicate) or finishing a shit game.. duke or aliens.. then i'd hella run for the hills if gearbox made it.

homeworld 3 by this team would scare me. That should made by the "real" team.. ie, blackbird. They are the original homeworld team working on homeworld: daybreakers.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I've always pronounced it dee-cal, but de-cal also seems to be an acceptable pronunciation (going by wikipedia phonetics).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: I've heard it pronounced "deck-halls" which made me shiver to my core.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: That is almost as horrible as hearing people say jiff...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: hey wait just a gosh darn second!

I'm wondering if I will bother even playing the first one in the collection. I have my best memories from Homeworld 2 and honestly don't even remember HW1.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tuxfool

@humanity: If you don't remember HW1 then that is an even better reason to play it.

But none of that matters, you're an absolute monster!

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope there is a pre-load. It is over 20gigs.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#24  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Preordered this thing the moment it appeared on Steam. Too bad Cataclysm won't be included, even in it's original form (which should run using the same measures they've used for the classic edition of Homeworld 1). It's really weird that even 16 years later, no other space RTS has done the full 3D thing, instead just going with space ships on a 2D playing field. I remember the controls being surprisingly intuitive back in 1999.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tuxfool

@fisk0: They're intutive, but they're not perfect due to the nature of navigating in 3d using a 2d input device. Also the game still was fairly planar in the xz dimensions, despite offering maneuverability to y dimension.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm super pumped for it, the 25th can't come fast enough. Mission 3 of the first game demonstrated great story telling without breaking away from gameplay. I hope there's a pre-load for it as well.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zurv
    Loading Video...

new video today (also changed the Homeworld Remastered Collection - Cinematics Trailer a few posts up to a 4k version)

I hope some of the GB team are going to look into this - for a quick look or something. no database entry for this.. no videos.. not in "Top Releases" this week. It makes me sad :(

Gim Frandango was talked to death and that was just a small tweak.(and it came out a year before homeworld so both are "old" - homeworld a lot more impressive clean up (and a far better game imo). Homeworld has a big impact on my when i frist played in in 1999. Gim was ok. It kinda is just impressive because it was one of the last of that type of game.)

hopefully vinny will play it :) (but that is my wish for all content.. more vinny in always a win)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zurv

Pre-load up (but oddly small.. only 4.6gig - they said it would be 20gigs in the video)

I demand a quick look with vinny... and he can only building salvage ships!!

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv said:

Pre-load up (but oddly small.. only 4.6gig - they said it would be 20gigs in the video)

I demand a quick look with vinny... and he can only building salvage ships!!

That might have been their working files before compression.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv: That new story trailer is pretty good. Loved the Yellow/Red ship firing the giant laser, with the particles on the side moving as it charged.

Pre-load is complete; looking forward to tomorrow. Hopefully someone does a QL, Vinny or Drew, possibly with Dan since he did the Grey Goo one and likes C&C.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zurv

after fighting with crashes.. i got it working. wooo.. game is good (they changed some of the keyboard command for hw1.. which makes a sad a bit.. but i can live with it)

(to fix the crashes i did a clean reinstall of the NVIDIA drivers)

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zurv

booo.. i guess they aren't going to do a quicklook. It is a shame as this might be the first time a lot of people would have heard about this. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.