Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

The smallest nitpick

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You know the ray of light that comes of the spear after swinging it? Why does it look so bad?

It kinda bothers me so much, that I avoid using the spear as much as possible.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While we're on the subject of nitpicks, how about the those close-up cuts into even closer-ups ? freaks me out every time.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You know the ray of light that comes of the spear after swinging it? Why does it look so bad?

Yes! Totally annoys me as well.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. What looks bad specifically so I can pay more attention next time.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:
    @phantomgardener said:

Yes! Totally annoys me as well.

Glad I am not the only one!

@sterling said:

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. What looks bad specifically so I can pay more attention next time.

Just the whole thing. I mean, the rest of the game looks so damn pretty, but when you take a swing with that spear, gosh darnit..

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to select the quests/missions/tasks/whatever in order to receive credit for doing what I need to do. It's especially annoying after shooting off many canisters, tripping a bunch of mechanized animals, and not being credited for what the tutorial wanted me to do in the first place. That noise whenever you press R3 is also extremely annoying. I had to turn the volume all the way down on the controller.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ungodly

My nit pick is with the check points. Sometimes they're fine, but I recently died at a corrupted site, and the game check pointed me at a camp fire I never went to, that's about 500 yards from the corrupted robots, and is surrounded by bandits and tramplers, oh I was also right out in the open. I had to run to a camp fire that was closer to the corrupted site, because I kept getting trampled. That wasn't the first time the checkpoints confused me either, just the most recent.

Outside of that, I'm really enjoying the game.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trap/potions system is the thing that bothers me most. I mean, they don't even put all the health potions together and it's a huge pain in the ass to switch to the different health potions in the middle of a hectic fight. I've stopped carrying resist potions, stones, and don't plan on getting the special "mount any-time" skill specifically because it makes it impossible to get to the health potions when you need them.

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: I totally agree, it's so jarring! I don't understand the point of them, it's not even like they do it to emphasize dramatic points in the dialogue.. I hate it, still a fantastic game though!

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I have to select the quests/missions/tasks/whatever in order to receive credit for doing what I need to do. It's especially annoying after shooting off many canisters, tripping a bunch of mechanized animals, and not being credited for what the tutorial wanted me to do in the first place.

When I clicked the thread title, I was 90% expecting this to be the OP.

I just don't understand why they decided to do it like this.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa said:
    @rubberbabybuggybumpers said:

I have to select the quests/missions/tasks/whatever in order to receive credit for doing what I need to do. It's especially annoying after shooting off many canisters, tripping a bunch of mechanized animals, and not being credited for what the tutorial wanted me to do in the first place.

Neither do I.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im glad my mind dosen't get annoyed with anything mentioned in this thread.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes the climbing seems to bug out for me or get real finicky. I'll suddenly be able to stand on a platform that shouldn't be made for standing and the game will register my jumps as a Skyrim shuffle rather than an intended path. Other times I'll be shimmying back and forth between handholds unless I move the analog stick in the right way. It's very rare that it happens, but when it pops its rare head on an important story mission, it takes me out a bit.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shivoa said:

Neither do I.

To clarify, it's only the tutorials that work like this. I've played pretty much entirely with a random tutorial for a weapon I don't use as my active quest because I hate seeing quest markers over characters heads/ in the world. Without me ever having any of them as my active quest, I've had no problem progressing and completing main quests, side quests, errands, and other tasks.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Money is currently a bit tight for me, so a game needs to be real great if I am going to spend 40 or more bucks on it. As soon as I saw the thick white arrow trail, I knew I wasn't going to buy this. It's almost - admittedly not quite, but almost - up there with Deus Ex' cut to black before a takedown in terms of extremely amateurish design.

Yes, Zelda and Horizon are different games, but I think everyone can agree that you're never going to play both of those at the same time. I would buy Zelda and replay it at least once before I would play Horizon. I would like to play Horizon, but my prediction is I won't get to it before the year is over.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa said:

Neither do I.

I'm guessing that it's to ensure clarity on what the different weapons do. You could otherwise complete a tutorial quest in the middle of a fight without realizing what actually happened. It could be better implemented still...I did not realize I had to select them until late into the game.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, I'm enjoying the game too much to care.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Another nitpick here: I really dislike it when the camera centers on the left side of the character. It feels weird and makes me think they should have had a toggle for that kinda thing. You know, click in the right stick to switch the aiming perspective to one side or the other. It never occurs when aiming is happening, just when you're walking through the world. Not that big of a problem though.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Money is currently a bit tight for me, so a game needs to be real great if I am going to spend 40 or more bucks on it. As soon as I saw the thick white arrow trail, I knew I wasn't going to buy this. It's almost - admittedly not quite, but almost - up there with Deus Ex' cut to black before a takedown in terms of extremely amateurish design.

Yes, Zelda and Horizon are different games, but I think everyone can agree that you're never going to play both of those at the same time. I would buy Zelda and replay it at least once before I would play Horizon. I would like to play Horizon, but my prediction is I won't get to it before the year is over.

Personally I'd be much more annoyed by a game that runs badly and drops to 20 fps a lot of the time than the little white trail off the arrows that I stopped noticing after 30 minutes or something.

And I don't know why someone couldn't play both those games at once. Horizon is heavily story driven (with a really good story) and has good interesting combat with a lot of different options while zelda seems like a big world to solve puzzles in and explore with extremely basic combat and not much story. They're pretty different

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's real weird, there's a lot of things I can nitpick on in this game. And they kiiiind of add up in an annoying way. But overall I still think the positives outweigh the smaller dumb stuff. It's just a little sad that I can't wholehog praise the game without going "but x, y, z thing is clunky or awkward".

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Another nitpick here: I really dislike it when the camera centers on the left side of the character. It feels weird and makes me think they should have had a toggle for that kinda thing. You know, click in the right stick to switch the aiming perspective to one side or the other. It never occurs when aiming is happening, just when you're walking through the world. Not that big of a problem though.

I'm totally with you on this one. I can't believe there isn't a camera switch toggle. It's a small nitpick to a wonderful game, though.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Personally I'd be much more annoyed by a game that runs badly and drops to 20 fps a lot of the time than the little white trail off the arrows that I stopped noticing after 30 minutes or something.

And I don't know why someone couldn't play both those games at once. Horizon is heavily story driven (with a really good story) and has good interesting combat with a lot of different options while zelda seems like a big world to solve puzzles in and explore with extremely basic combat and not much story. They're pretty different

The same reason I don't like to play Saints Row and GTA at the same time. It's really not that convoluted to understand. And sure, to each their own. I'm much less bothered by performance issues in a game I actually like everything of (XCOM 2 is one of my favorite games of all time), than one that has a fantastic story but pretty uninteresting gameplay, which is what Horizon is to me. I've seen nothing interesting about that game outside of its stellar visuals. Combat looks like a worse Tomb Raider with poor visual design around it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
    deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barely a problem/issue but it caught my eye: When starting a talking sequence to other NPC's there is always this focused shot of just Aloy getting into position to interact with them, holds for 2 seconds(or shorter) then proceeds to execute the conversation with a slightly more ideal camera angle change. Reminds me of the weird jankyness of conversations in Mass Effect.

Other than that I am enjoying all my time with it so far

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @rangers517 said:
    @zevvion said:

The same reason I don't like to play Saints Row and GTA at the same time. It's really not that convoluted to understand. And sure, to each their own. I'm much less bothered by performance issues in a game I actually like everything of (XCOM 2 is one of my favorite games of all time), than one that has a fantastic story but pretty uninteresting gameplay, which is what Horizon is to me. I've seen nothing interesting about that game outside of its stellar visuals. Combat looks like a worse Tomb Raider with poor visual design around it.

Nothing convoluted, but when yo say "I think everyone can agree that you're never going to play both of these at the same time." and then follow up a question of "why?" with nothing but reasons why YOU wouldn't do it, it doesn't really validate the first statement.

CaptainKoonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree with what others have posted. Small issues that as a whole take away from the game. I have one more. If I need a Boar Bone to upgrade my carry capacity, I really wish I could just go kill a damn boar and get the bone without relying on RNG. Every boar has bones!

Trying to grind bones and meat for carrying capacity stuff feels like I'm playing Destiny again at times.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Agree with what others have posted. Small issues that as a whole take away from the game. I have one more. If I need a Boar Bone to upgrade my carry capacity, I really wish I could just go kill a damn boar and get the bone without relying on RNG. Every boar has bones!

Trying to grind bones and meat for carrying capacity stuff feels like I'm playing Destiny again at times.

I must have killed 20+ rabbits before I got the stupid rabbit bone. Not to speak of foxes and fish which are still eluding me the last few ones I want.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @rangers517 said:
    @zevvion said:

comparing this combat to tomb raider just tells me you don't know much about the game. if you only watched the quick look where jeff does the only Cauldron in the game that has human enemies and just shoots everything in the head then I guess I understand why you'd think that, but most quests, especially in the 2nd half have you fighting big machines where just shooting them over and over isn't very effective and would take a longer amount of time while there are a lot of better options like tying them down, tearing off their weapons and armor and even using their weapons against them, applying elemental damage to the right weak points on their bodies, etc. whatever though, buy what you want.

--

Anyway, on topic I agree with the other person that said the weapon tutorials. I would rather them have lowered the exp you get from them and made them all track all the time rather then having to select them. My other one would be I wish the resources tab went higher than 100 spots. for the last probably 1/3 of the game I was always in the 90's out of 100 and would have to sell stuff while all the other tabs felt like i had more than enough space. Other than that, just finished the story like an hour ago and it was really good. Such a great world and they answer pretty much everything about it in satisfying ways.

Definitely one of my favorite games in a while

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rangers517: The Quick Look is not a negligible part of the game first and foremost. Also, that wasn't really my point. My point is the combat is not interesting enough throughout for me to warrant a full price purchase. Yes, Zelda has simplistic combat, but it is more interesting still and everything around it is much more appealing to me than anything Horizon is doing besides its supposed amazing story.

To be clear, I'm not saying the game is trash. I would like to play it. But not for full price and not while I can play Zelda still.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Nodima

@zevvion said:

@rangers517: The Quick Look is not a negligible part of the game first and foremost. Also, that wasn't really my point. My point is the combat is not interesting enough throughout for me to warrant a full price purchase. Yes, Zelda has simplistic combat, but it is more interesting still and everything around it is much more appealing to me than anything Horizon is doing besides its supposed amazing story.

To be clear, I'm not saying the game is trash. I would like to play it. But not for full price and not while I can play Zelda still.

I'm not saying that every person I read disparaging the combat hasn't played the game, but I am finding that most people who are less than totally over-the-moon about the enemy encounters in this game are often people who haven't actually put their hands on it. I shared a pair of clips in the impressions thread that I then showed a couple of my friends and they just didn't get what was so special about them, whereas I still vividly remember how white-knuckle it all felt at the time. I'm severely "overleveled" for where I'm at in the game (about 15 levels above most quests I'm completing) and the human combat has become pretty trivial and likely always was, but the machines are still teaching me lessons all this time later.

And as far as the Quick Look, I completed that section of the game earlier today (and, unlike Jeff, maybe 1/4 of the way through the actual story rather than the end game, though I think I'm several levels higher than he was regardless) and I will say, actually negligible or not, that was the least interesting cauldron of the few in the game, and I can only imagine it was even moreso for Jeff considering he knew all about the Eclipse and their machine-love and where all that leads by the time he hit that Cauldron. At least for me, I'm still in the thick of that storyline and really have no idea idea where it's leading unless it's all Skynet, so I had the narrative cognizance to find it engaging on that level. But in that final moment when the machines are released I just sprinted past everything towards the exit; none of the other Cauldrons let you do this and offer both puzzles in order to reach their power stations and some of the most intense combat encounters in the game to escape them.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

IDK, ive beaten the game story, and the part in the quick look IS pretty negligible. Optional side dungeon (the smallest one in the game, at that) that really doesn't impart any useful abilities, and he really only showed about 4 of the enemy types in the game. And though not every single type of enemy requires you to fight it different, there are definitely creatures that need entirely separate strategies to beat effectively. Ive been playing both all week, but pretty much put Zelda aside to finish Horizon. Zelda has just been boring to me personally.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @rangers517 said:
    @zevvion said:

I actually think the combat is one of the best parts of the whole game. But then again I use all of the weapons I find and enjoy setting traps and all that stuff.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By blackichigo

If i may jump on this bandwagon for a second here, I really don't like that I have to carry multiple versions of the same type of weapon just to use different type of ammo. I find the damage of hunter bow A to be pretty comparable to hunter bow B. The only real difference between the two bows is the ammo type. All the can think is how much better the game would be if there was just one hunter bow that you upgraded throughout the game (like the spear) and Aloy just learned how to make different ammo for that bow. Right now my weapon inventory is just a mess of samey weapons that shoot different crap.

PS. The inventory would be well served with a sort button.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Shivoa

@zevvion said:

If you're avoiding a game because of the arrow trails visually make you think "extremely amateurish design" then I have extremely bad new about the low poly, low res texture, 20fps alternative you're proposing (if we're going with a purely technical analysis). Which is probably why this seems like such a weird statement. Like, have your favourites but "well Zelda is better because the arrow trails look better" is kinda amazing rationalisation.

*Very BEastCast voice* Of course, these comparisons are more fun than anything serious because they're very different games. :)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zevvion

@shivoa: That holds no water whatsoever. You can't tell me what my opinion needs to be. You're literally trying to tell me that green is a better looking color than purple right now. I don't like how the arrow trail looks in Horizon. It is not a cell shaded styled game where such an effect would make sense. I think it looks terrible and it reminds me of PS2 games. There is nothing in Zelda that I've seen that looks so bad and out of place.

Especially when the crux of your argument is that Horizon is more technically proficient, therefor looks better, I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.

@cornfed40 Sure, to each their own. If you think Zelda is boring, that's fine. I like just about everything about it, which is also fine.

@nodima I don't think that argument really works though, because people won't play what they aren't interested in playing in the first place. You can't turn that around and say people don't like it because they didn't play it. I just don't like what I'm seeing enough; be it the Quick Look and be it streams or Let's Plays. It looks OK enough for me to want to play it at some point, but there is a lot of other stuff I would very much like to play first or even multiple times before I'm interested in playing Horizon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.