Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Hotline or Isaac?

bearklaw19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bearklaw19

So I have been deciding to get one of these games ( Hotline Miami, or The Binding of Isaac) but I cant decide which one, my laptop is complete crap and its about all my computer can run, Hotline Miami is on for 5 dollars on Steam and so is Isaac, so give me your opinion, which one did you enjoy?, which one is more fun in your opinion?. I will prob end up buying both in the future but what should I purchase first?.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

Isaac. More bang for the buck.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Winternet

Let's jump the "well, it depends on what type of games you like most, blah blah blah" part. Go for Binding Of Isaac. If you end up enjoying it a lot, you'll spend countless hours in it.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By J12088

Isaac. Over 200 hours in that game. Miami is good but it doesn't have anywhere near the replay value that isaac does. Nor the sheer amount of content.

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By leafhouse

That depends on what means by bang. I'm gonna go ahead and say Hotline is the better game. You'll probably spend more time with Isaac though

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ares42

Well, sorta biased as I haven't even bought Hotline (as I don't really think it looks that fun), but objectively Isaac has way way more replayability. I put in over 80 hours in Isaac this summer, and I still go back to it regularly and have a good time.

bearklaw19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bearklaw19

Wow I did not think the votes would sway to much into Isaac's favor, I have looked at the quick look at that game is WIERD, but lots of items and like you have all stated replay value.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skytylz

Hotline, it's actually good.

I didn't like Binding if you couldn't tell.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

Never played The Binding of Isaac, but Hotline Miami is the shit. Even after you get over how pumped the soundtrack is, the actual game is addictive. Imagine the slight endorphin rush when you do an assassination in Assassin's Creed, get a no-scope headshot in Halo, or a chainsaw kill in Gears of War. It's like that in rapid succession when going through a level in Hotline Miami.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Sooperspy

I like them both, but I would definitely say Hotline Miami. Its just such a unique experience.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By indiana_jenkins

Hotline Miami.

While it might not have as much as Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami has a decent amount of replay value.

And it's a kick-ass game that should be experienced.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By gaminghooligan

I LOVE Hotline Miami. However, duder, Binding of Issac is way more game. Grab Hotline later though, that music is worth the entry price alone

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Winternet

@bearklaw19: Hotline Miami is much more likable though. Isaac is not for everyone, but if you get into it, man, you really get into it. It takes so much out of you but it also gives so much back.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BoG

Hotline Miami is fantastic. Isaac is ok.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beeftothetaco

Hotline. Isaac's gameplay didn't really appeal to me that much.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By TheHT

ISaac was fun for a bit, and the replayability is inherently there, but hotline miami was just so damn cool.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By TruthTellah

FTL: Faster Than Light.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ch3burashka

You said you'll get both, but... get both. It doesn't matter which you get first, as long as you get them within 7 days of each other.

Also, GET HYPE for BoI:Rebirth.

IAmADwagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IAmADwagon

Isaac was 75 cents at one point during the Steam summer sale, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again in the winter sale. Therefore, although I haven't played either, I would recommend getting Miami now and pick up Isaac then.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By tkalsey

yes

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winternet
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder

Isaac is always the answer.

bearklaw19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bearklaw19

@Winternet: thanks for the advice, so correct me if im wrong but im guessing Binding of Isaac is a dungeon crawler?, with items and different classes?

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By J12088

@bearklaw19 said:

@Winternet: thanks for the advice, so correct me if im wrong but im guessing Binding of Isaac is a dungeon crawler?, with items and different classes?

It's like zelda dungeoneyish. You have different characters that have different stats/starting items. And you get a new item every floor up untill the womb.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By envane

while hotline is great and more immediately fun than the punishing nature of isaac , isaac is a million times more replayable , if its your kind of thing

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

I'd say there's probably a greater chance that you won't like Isaac, since you need to like the genre for it to catch you. If you're a fan of roguelikes then you'll probably enjoy Isaac, but I'd say Hotline Miami is probably the safer bet.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By butano

I thought Hotline Miami was "ok" at best. I don't really understand the high praises and reviews for the game after playing it, though the music is pretty rad at some points in the game. Might be because I've only played the 1st playable character and was kinda already burned out by it to continue to play more as the biker dude.

Isaac, however, was a surprise hit for me when it first came out. Put about a dozen or so hours into it and really enjoyed how replayable it was. Still turn it on from time to time. Basically, it's the dungeon design of the old 2D Zelda games, with the randomness and permadeath of Roguelikes.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Winternet

@bearklaw19 said:

Check the page for more info, I'd say. The different "classes" differ in their initial stats, but they play exactly the same. It's a "rogue-like" game. There are different levels to be played, in each one there's a boss at the end and after you defeat it you get access to the stairs that lead you to the next level. The levels are divided into rooms. There are many kinds of rooms, but normally you enter in a room, kill everyone inside and then go to another room. On your way through the rooms and levels, you find items, power-ups, health, bombs, keys, chests, cards and so on. Your appearance will chance accordingly to the items and power-ups you pick. If you die, you lose everything and start over in the first level with the initial stats and items.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

Hm, should I just get Miami, since it's now 50% off, even if I don't think I really like the 'vibe' of the game. However, everyone seems to be going apeship about the game...

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meltac

Both? It's only like 10 bucks.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ravenlight

@TruthTellah said:

FTL: Faster Than Light.

Tellin' truths.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero
    @Butano

I thought Hotline Miami was "ok" at best. I don't really understand the high praises and reviews for the game after playing it, though the music is pretty rad at some points in the game. Might be because I've only played the 1st playable character and was kinda already burned out by it to continue to play more as the biker dude.

Isaac, however, was a surprise hit for me when it first came out. Put about a dozen or so hours into it and really enjoyed how replayable it was. Still turn it on from time to time. Basically, it's the dungeon design of the old 2D Zelda games, with the randomness and permadeath of Roguelikes.

The biker dude is the epilogue. You only do 2 missions where you kill guys, then one story mission that's like 3 minutes long that is unfailable. You were very close to the end.
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BisonHero

Binding of Isaac is certainly the game that will last you longer to do everything. But which experience is more worth your time? Hard to say. Did you watch the Quick Looks for both? The QL for Hotline Miami is pretty indicative of the game overall, whereas the QL for BoI only scratches the surface; they died within 5 minutes, but once you get a little better, you start to live long enough to see more enemies and crazier items/item combinations.

whitlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By whitlock

If you really like rouge games, get Issac. I personally can't spend the hours that others can on a rogue game so i subsequently spend more time and enjoyed my time more with Hotline Miami. In my opinion, Hotline Miami is on a whole other level of awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.