Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

HTC Vive

Accessory »

The HTC Vive is a virtual reality headset for the PC, developed in co-production between Valve and HTC.

Resolution / settings

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just received my Vive a couple days ago and I've been more or less impressed with it. However, the resolution looks kind of iffy on all the games I have for it. Ive looked online and haven't really found a definitive answer for my question. Is it possible to adjust any in game settings? I decided to wait until the GTX 1080 is released to upgrade...currently my 780 seems to be doing an okay job. Does the Vive use a standard resolution regardless of your video card, or does it automatically detect it and adjust the settings to achieve a non-vomit inducing frame rate? I'd like a crisper image if it's at all possible.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Seikenfreak

Im going to guess that what you are thinking is resolution is actually the "screen door" effect.

What I've come to realize on my Vive is that resolution didn't seem all that important. I can't really notice a difference between 720 and 1440.. the screen is just too grainy. It does seem to affect the framerate though and that has been the most important thing. I guess I should also point out that I'm not sure the resolution adjustment is actually taking affect or not. I initially had the same thought as you and assumed, because I didn't notice a difference, that it was some kind of fixed res, but I did notice the framerate get better or worse so it must've been doing something.

I'm on a i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4ghz and a 980 and I've been running stuff at medium to low settings, mainly with Project Cars. You can notice a difference with actual detail settings for textures, grass, or environments etc but it just impacts the framerate more than it's worth. And I find that having the lower settings doesn't detract from the experience.

When my Rift arrives I'm most curious in the display differences as I believe they use different OLED screen construction/structure and the Rift screen can appear slightly sharper at times from using a grid style vs the Vive which I think is a pentagonal screen?

So all that bad sounding stuff there and fully admitting that I had "Oh.. so this is what it looks like" when I first played a game that wasn't built VR, it didn't take me long to get over it in Project Cars and, IMO, getting the higher framerate made the experience much more immersive and fun than small graphical increases. Tried Elite Dangerous though and found the screen effect did more harm in it than was worth the 3D VR world effect.. I have to give it another chance though.

For games that were built for VR and didn't have a very detailed art design (like Job Simulator), the screen door effect didn't really interfere.

*Driving sims will never be good enough now unless they are in VR*

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@seikenfreak: i'd enjoy a report back to see how you find the difference btween the two screens.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seikenfreak

@flashflood_29: Yea I'll try and remember. Placed my Rift order like 2 hours after pre-orders opened and my current estimated ship date is about second week of June :/

I don't want to sound like I'm one of those people complaining about the screen stuff though. The Vive has been pretty awesome and VR shows so much crazy potential (how soon can I wear gloves that tracks my hands/fingers 1:1 and I can see them move on the wheel and shifter) and I haven't done too much of the full roomscale stuff aside from initial experiments but I brought it up to my desk in my room the other day to try out cockpit/seated stuff for the first time and Project Cars is really doing it for me. I hadn't played Project Cars much prior to VR but now that I have, it's been the killer app for me. I've done a few hour long races and its just so awesome.

I tried War Thunder but it didn't look too good, I couldn't get the head position centered (it doesn't officially support Vive), and it's online only so I just kept getting shot down almost immediately and had no time to just fly around. I cannot wait for some awesome flight sims built around VR. Probably need to experiment more with Elite as I had to just quickly set it up and get it going with a X360 controller instead of using my HOTAS setup. I've yet to try American Truck Simulator with it, if I can. Or Live for Speed or iRacing.. Dirt Rally is going to be unbelievable and scary.

I'm also dying for some kind of RTS or miniature battlefield on a table in front of me. I want to watch a missile arc across my view and move little units around. I wanna see little mini Mechs battle it out... Omg I didn't even think of a new MechWarrior with VR! ahhhh

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@seikenfreak: The resolution stuff really bums me out, its driving me crazy that I don't know what these screens look like yet, I want to see a game like Alien Isolation in VR I wanna know if it looks like crap.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By djhicks1

I waited to order a Vive until I could get a GTX 1080 because I wanted sharp visuals. But everything still looks jaggy as shit like when I played Raw Data and Eve Valkyrie at PAX East. I kind of stop thinking about it after a little while in most games. Project Cars looks bad in cockpit view no matter what I do. Changing the camera to overhead like a standard racing game looks better, buuuuut that defeats the purpose of the headset. Also, Raw Data looks better by turning AA off... so that's weird. Am I missing something?

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I can attest to that. Going from the 780 to a 1080 did nothing, except fix the frame rate on a couple of games and made them more stable. Still looks blurry, cloudy, and jagged. But it's the first wave of these headsets, so I'm willing to kind of overlook it. I'm not sorry I bought one.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ezekiel

I've been complaining about the low res of VR for like a year. Ever since I tried the Oculus Rift. There aren't enough pixels for them to be so close to your eyes and the machines are already expensive and demanding enough at those resolutions. It's one of the main reasons I decided it wasn't for me.

carlos707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With a GTX 1080 I can set a base super-sample multiplier of 1.4x in SteamVR. This makes most stuff look pretty good. There is a really great tool to do this and also save multiple chaperone boundaries.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4q4bu3/update_chaperone_switcher_on_the_fly/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.