Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Humble Bundle

Concept »

A digital storefront which donates some of its profits to charity.

Markus Persson/notch is the top contributor for humblebundle

• 66 results
    GODWASP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GODWASP

Markus Persson is leading the top contributors list on https://www.humblebundle.com/ with a sum total of $6,543.21, seems like a nice & funny guy. Any thoughts?

Sorry but I did not know which category to put this topic, hence used general discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I would be the top contributor too if I had more money than God.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

From what I've noticed, it's almost always a competition between Notch and "HumbleBrony Bundle".

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By niall_sg1

The humblebrony thing was at $3000.00 USD, so he went in at $3000.01 USD to be top, then humblebrony went up to $5000.00 USD, so he dumped it up to $6543.21 USD.

I think he does this every humble bundle, last time I think he was having a contest with the guy who made Garys Mod. A bit of fun and the money goes to charity.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deanoxd

Multimillionaire donates 6k, wow impressive.

/sarcasm

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaunassNZ

@DeanoXD: Yeah it's a bit like that. There are tons of Humble Bundles though, so it does add up, but it's not worth a forum thread.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mortal_sb

@GODWASP said:

Markus Persson is leading the top contributors list on https://www.humblebundle.com/ with a sum total of $6,543.21, seems like a nice & funny guy. Any thoughts?

Sorry but I did not know which category to put this topic, hence used general discussion.

if i'm remembering correctly, he has been since the first bundle came out. he always donated like 10k. he's a great guy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

I appreciate that he donates a lot of money and helps out even if it is in some vain way of being on top, but I still dislike him as a person.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By dethfish

If I made as much money as he did off of Minecraft I think I would feel obligated to donate that much.

GODWASP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GODWASP

I dont get why some of you are being no negative... I know enough rich pricks and by rich I mean they make Markus look middle class at best. Yet these people don't do shit for anyone but when someone like Markus does donate an amount, You people consider 10k a cheap sum of money. It makes me angry and a bit sad.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JasonR86

I'm not sure how anyone can have 'thoughts' about charity besides "well that's nice."

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@DeanoXD said:

/sarcasm

Yeah, not that it's BAD that he did anything, just that it's not a surprise that he did this, nor is it really impressive. There's a proverb about a couple dudes and sheep. I'll be impressed when he gives a significant amount of his wealth away to charity, until then he's doing his civic duty as far as I'm concerned.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By laserbolts

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@DeanoXD said:

/sarcasm

Yeah, not that it's BAD that he did anything, just that it's not a surprise that he did this, nor is it really impressive. There's a proverb about a couple dudes and sheep. I'll be impressed when he gives a significant amount of his wealth away to charity, until then he's doing his civic duty as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's cool that the dude is donating to this. He doesn't have to donate shit.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Getz

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@DeanoXD said:

/sarcasm

Do you have a job? Cause I don't, so you should give me like 100 bucks. Spread the wealth, amirite?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PeasantAbuse

It's nice that he donates money for every bundle, but I can't take him seriously until he ditches that dumb ass hat.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Getz said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@DeanoXD said:

/sarcasm

Do you have a job? Cause I don't, so you should give me like 100 bucks. Spread the wealth, amirite?

Are you unable to care for yourself? Because if not, you're just pretending to be clever. I just got a job (my first job, in fact) and intend on making donations to a couple of key charities. And I've donated in the past, despite having next to no money to do so with. If I had the money he had, I'd be donating money left and right, not to mention my time and potentially my life. Not because I want praise or recognition, but because it's what I believe in. I'm not saying that he isn't doing a great thing, just that donating some small percentage of one's wealth doesn't make you a philanthropist. I'm not an awesome guy for buying a homeless guy a cheeseburger. There are plenty of examples of folks who have donated greater percentages to charity, and even those who all but dedicated their lives to improving life for those less fortunate, and the most praise I would give them is that I respect them.

The whole point of charity is that it does not deserve praise. It is a good thing to do, but it is only charity when done purely for the sake of others. The instant it is used to influence opinion of someone, it becomes a little less righteous. I know people in my life with almost nothing, struggling financially, who gave their time and energy to help those even less fortunate than themselves. That impresses me. Some rich bloke tossing some cash on a charity is awesome for the charity, meaningless to my opinion of the individual making the contribution. When Notch gives up his position of incredible wealth to donate to charity, I'll be impressed. More so if he does it anonymously. Until then, he's just doing what I believe is only fair for someone with such an inordinate amount of wealth to do. And if he's doing it for the right reasons, he'll accept and respect my position, because it won't matter what I think of him.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By grilledcheez

I give him props

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunter5024

@MordeaniisChaos: He's entitled to every penny he's made. Just because you're rich doesn't mean you have some kind of duty to give away your money.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By myke_tuna

@Hunter5024: @MordeaniisChaos: I agree with both of you. I agree with Mordeaniis and his beliefs since I would probably do the same thing if I had a shitload of money coming in. BUT, I don't think everyone SHOULD /HAS to do it. People like us (Mord and I) aren't really the norm, I don't think. I mean, it'd be nice, but people should be allowed to keep everything if they want to. I just know I wouldn't.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

Those guys ruin all my fun. 
    I've donated 500 bucks to this one as well as the previous 4 and that feels like nothing compared to the top 8 guys of every bundle. 

People whining about a guy with a lot of money donating "so little" are idiots though.

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By codynewill

@PeasantAbuse: Fedoras are universally horrible.

This entire thread reminds me of the book "The Life You Can Save" by Peter Singer. His argument is that everyone, not just super rich people, can give much more to those in need. Singer claims there is no limit to how much you should give, especially if you're rich. It seems that some people feel the same way about Notch, but I can't really knock him for giving. Anyone who gives to those in need is doing a good deed in my eyes. Sure, he could probably give more, but at least he is giving something (much more than I, or anyone else buying the bundle are.)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunter5024

@myketuna: @myketuna said:

@Hunter5024: @MordeaniisChaos: I agree with both of you. I agree with Mordeaniis and his beliefs since I would probably do the same thing if I had a shitload of money coming in. BUT, I don't think everyone SHOULD /HAS to do it. People like us (Mord and I) aren't really the norm, I don't think. I mean, it'd be nice, but people should be allowed to keep everything if they want to. I just know I wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong, if I actually made real money I would find a charity I believed in and support them too. However I think it's wrong to expect it of people, they are free to spend their money however they want to and there's no reason they should feel guilty about how much they support charity, if at all. Every little bit should be appreciated and respected.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By eroticfishcake

Didn't he do this before? Well considering that he's rich because of his indie hit I suppose that he wants to support other indie developers because he like any other guy he loves to support good developers and charity so it's a good thing no?

Or he could just be vain prick but I don't think he is but what do I know?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

He frequently donates a lot of money to a lot of different charities and projects. What more do you want the guy to do, give away all his money? I'm betting the majority of you paid the bare minimum to get the games and nothing else, even though you could have afforded to give more if you really wanted to.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By myke_tuna

@Hunter5024 said:

Don't get me wrong, if I actually made real money I would find a charity I believed in and support them too. However I think it's wrong to expect it of people, they are free to spend their money however they want to and there's no reason they should feel guilty about how much they support charity, if at all. Every little bit should be appreciated and respected.

I agree.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dezztroy

He does this with just about every HIB. I don't see the point of making a thread about it.

Also, if he really only did it to support charity, he would have made it an anonymous donation.

GODWASP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GODWASP

OK so now not only is donating money in accordance to your net worth a so called civic duty, but it should only be done anonymously if you truly want to support a charity. Utter Bullshit!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Ghostiet

This topic left me with a huge taste of bullshit in my mouth, thanks to some contributers. And I don't even like Notch.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By clstirens

@Ghostiet said:

This topic left me with a huge taste of bullshit in my mouth, thanks to some contributers. And I don't even like Notch.
    jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jjnen

Some of you guys are ridiculously jealous.

So what if Notch is having fun and donating a bit money on the side? It's his money he and can do anything he wants with it. At least he isn't making a space catapult.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@myketuna said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I agree.

I'm not saying that everyone should be required to donate, just that when you have more money than you can spend, put it to a good cause. Charity is doing something for others, not to gain recognition. It is not an uncommon or ridiculous philosophy to believe that A) the only true and pure (not good, not noteworthy, but pure, meaning uncontaminated in the slightest by something else, such as vanity) form of charity is anonymous charity or B) that those who live well above their means have a responsibility to give back to their community.

Perhaps I should be more clear about this: I do not think less of those who do not donate, at least not necessarily. I do not believe it should be required, and I never said anyone "has" to do anything. Just that charity isn't supposed to be for the sake of your opinion of the charitable individual, and so to put them up on a pedestal for their behavior is not in the spirit of charity. Perhaps being around a lot of Marines who have served and sacrificed has rubbed off on me, because it's sort of like all of those brave service members who are awarded for valor in duty. I've never known a medal recipient to not state that they do not believe they deserved the medal because they did what any other Marine or Soldier would do, and that it is a part of their duty. This doesn't mean their actions are unimportant, nor that we should not be happy about those actions. But the truth is, most of our service members overseas would absolutely risk their lives to protect their buddies. It's the way they operate over there, and it is to be celebrated some way, but most of them don't believe that the individuals should be celebrated, rather the relationship and the reason behind it. For the Marine Corps, that would best be summed up as esprit de corps.

And to anyone acting as though I am condemning his behavior, go shove it up your ass, I'm clearly in support of what he did, but I was raised to believe that charity is not something that is to be rewarded, because it stops being real true charity at that point. It's sort of like giving the highest contributor a muffin basket. Give the muffin basket to the needy and the poor, not the guy who's already in possession of too much material gain to use himself. I am glad people like him are around in the world, and I know he donates more than just this. But being disgusted because I believe charity should be a given for those capable is a little pathetic. Especially when I know most of you are the kinds of people who would gladly give if you could, no question about it. I'm not saying what Notch did wasn't enough, and if that's what you got out of what I said, you should really go back to school with that reading comprehension. I merely stated that charity does not and in my opinion should not be celebrated at the individual level.

This is how I was raised, to believe that charity should only be performed for charity's sake. The only time you tell people you're performing charitable acts is when you're inviting them to come along and help. I don't think that you're an ass for not donating to charity every year, or that rich people should be required to donate. Just that I don't believe in celebrating them as charitable individuals. It defeats the purpose, in my opinion, and everyone else is free to act and feel as they wish. I won't tell Notch he needs to donate more. But I'm not going to throw rose pedals at his feet because he did the right thing with his money.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Bollard

@DeanoXD said:

/sarcasm

Except he does it for every Humble Indie Bundle. And like you would do any better in his position? I doubt it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mandude

@GODWASP said:

OK so now not only is donating money in accordance to your net worth a so called civic duty, but it should only be done anonymously if you truly want to support a charity. Utter Bullshit!

It should be completely anonymous! That way I can bitch some more about how he should be more charitable with all his money!

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Dogma

Seriously guys. How can this be negative in any way? I'm utterly supprised be some peoples responses.

- Hey guys, Notch gives a lot of money to charity trough humble bundle!

- Oh yeah? He's a piece of shit! He should give more!

Seriously....

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I thought the better story was how notch gave away some of the steam keys... But kept the ones he hasn't played yet. Like, that was a legit purchase.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Dogma said:

Seriously guys. How can this be negative in any way? I'm utterly supprised be some peoples responses.

Seriously....

The people being assholes are probably the same people who cry because they couldn't really afford to spend 1 dollar on the Humble Bundle but they did it anyway.
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Humanity

@ZeForgotten said:

@Dogma said:

Seriously....

The people being assholes are probably the same people who cry because they couldn't really afford to spend 1 dollar on the Humble Bundle but they did it anyway.

I think it's more a case of people being happy for the donation but Notch said and did some really dumb shit in the past and theres a certain stigma that sticks around no matter how many awesome things you do afterwards.

For example that whole Minecon event where he totally shit on those guys from the Yogcast I think and it was a gigantic fiasco.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Humanity said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Dogma said:

Seriously....

I think it's more a case of people being happy for the donation but Notch said and did some really dumb shit in the past and theres a certain stigma that sticks around no matter how many awesome things you do afterwards.

For example that whole Minecon event where he totally shit on those guys from the Yogcast I think and it was a gigantic fiasco.

That whole thing turned out to be nothing else but a misunderstanding, at least according to both Notch and the Yogscast guys. I have no idea what the fanbois say about the situation and I don't really care either because they're fanbois and not worth listening to :P 
    But still, "He's shit" or "He's not giving away enough money, what a jerk" and stuff like that doesn't sound all that smart when it's coming from people who probably didn't even pay close to 10 bucks for any of the HiBs 
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By zero_
    deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deanoxd

@Chavtheworld:LOL I truly think you are giving my totally off the cuff sarcastic remark way to much credit. So let me settle it, I don't give a flying fuck about notch, or what he does or doesn't do with his money. But having his massive 6k donation posted as some great feet is ridiculous. And now that i know you are the greatest human being to walk the earth i will strive to reach your level of self righteousness.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By JasonR86

@codynewill said:

This entire thread reminds me of the book "The Life You Can Save" by Peter Singer. His argument is that everyone, not just super rich people, can give much more to those in need. Singer claims there is no limit to how much you should give, especially if you're rich. It seems that some people feel the same way about Notch, but I can't really knock him for giving. Anyone who gives to those in need is doing a good deed in my eyes. Sure, he could probably give more, but at least he is giving something (much more than I, or anyone else buying the bundle are.)

Singer sounds like an uppity bitch. Sure, everyone could donate more money. But announcing it, as Singer did through his book, makes it appear as if he is demanding it. It's the whole "don't count someone else's money" thing. It isn't Singer's, or anyone else's, business what another does with their money. Even if he isn't really making demands of others, by announcing this philosophy Singer sounds arrogant and snobby. The same goes for those who are saying Notch, who is a very wealthy person, should give more. Notch should give what Notch wants to give. Anyone who says otherwise is butting into business that doesn't concern them.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jams

@JasonR86 said:

@codynewill said:

Singer sounds like an uppity bitch. Sure, everyone could donate more money. But announcing it, as Singer did through his book, makes it appear as if you are demanding it. It's the whole "don't count someone else's money" thing. It isn't Singer's, or anyone else's, business what another does with their money. Even if he isn't really counting other's money, by announcing this philosophy Singer sounds arrogant and snobby. The same goes for those who are saying Notch, who is a very wealthy person, should give more. Notch should give what Notch wants to give. Anyone who says otherwise is butting into business that doesn't concern them.

I agree that you shouldn't shame some one for donating, not donating enough or not donating at all. It's probably just their own guilt, envy and jealousy being projected toward Notch anyways. That's the problem with the people in this world. They're always just utterly jealous that everyone other than them are rich and they are dirt poor. Even without knowing the other persons income. My parents own a business and everyone thinks they can just buy whatever they want and that they're so rich. When in reality, they're barely making payroll and only sometimes pay themselves. Of course that doesn't matter to these selfish fucks because they always like thinking they're worse off when they're not. You guys should see how quick the charities turn on my parents when they come calling asking for donations and we have to turn them down.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rave

I think he seems like a really cool genuine guy. Its neat to have an actual gamer (nerdy fanboy of just fun games) also be this super Indy developer. Alot of people around here seem to detest him though I'll never understand that. He seems like a regular dude who got lucky and made it rich, it's a Cinderella story

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's been the top for the majority of these, hasn't he? At least, he was in the first one and second one. This is nothing new.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @GODWASP said:

Hes done this for quite a few of them. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Amazing how a man who builds an 8 bit-looking construction game becomes a millionaire.  
    Funny world.

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47  Edited By codynewill

@JasonR86 said:

@codynewill said:

Singer sounds like an uppity bitch. Sure, everyone could donate more money. But announcing it, as Singer did through his book, makes it appear as if he is demanding it. It's the whole "don't count someone else's money" thing. It isn't Singer's, or anyone else's, business what another does with their money. Even if he isn't really making demands of others, by announcing this philosophy Singer sounds arrogant and snobby. The same goes for those who are saying Notch, who is a very wealthy person, should give more. Notch should give what Notch wants to give. Anyone who says otherwise is butting into business that doesn't concern them.

I don't know about uppity bitch, but Singer is demanding for sure. One thing we don't know is how much Notch even truly gives to charity. You can customize the payment sliders to go straight to the developers, bandwidth costs, or charity, so it is entirely possible that Notch just gives it all to the developers. Though, something tells me he probably splits it.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SmilingPig

I wander how mutch the Bastion crew gets from all this?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#49  Edited By bed

@ZeForgotten said:

People whining about a guy with a lot of money donating "so little" are idiots though.

NO HE SHOULD BE DONATING HALF OF HIS MONEY SHUT UP

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By myke_tuna

I just want to let people know that for the record, I gave a whole 10 dollars. At the time, I had exactly $112.67 in my checking account. Hopefully, I am not one of the folks you guys are saying is an ass. I think it's great what Notch gave/gives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.