Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hunted: The Demon's Forge

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 31, 2011

Two mercenaries, E'lara and Caddoc, go in search of an artifact that Caddoc had a vision about that could save humanity or threaten its survival.

Ask Up

IDiivil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IDiivil

Bought the game. Am about 12-15 hours into it on coop split screen and coop system link. Playing on hardcore mode (Casual, Gamer, Hardcore, Old School modes total (Old School unavailable until you beat the game once). 

Ask what you want.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Describe the quality of: 

1. Voice acting
    2. Environment art/design
    3. The plot
    • Is the game repetitive? 
    • Are there large cinematic or scripted events? How often? 
    • Is the game difficult? 
    • The Gears of War influence has been no secret by the developers, but which other game(s) can be comparable or seen as an influence?
    • Are you generally having fun?
    • What is your favorite aspect(s) of the game?
    • What do you not like about the game?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    IDiivil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IDiivil
    @Origina1Penguin said:

Describe the quality of: 

1. Voice acting
    3. The plot
    • Is the game difficult? 
    • The Gears of War influence has been no secret by the developers, but which other game(s) can be comparable or seen as an influence?

1. Voice acting, to me, is all right. I don't cringe at anything, although the level of breathiness on part of the main female character could be toned down some. That might be the female in me talking, though. The only other issue I could have is that the dying dialogue presets could be somewhat more dramatic. They sound a bit too composed for death sometimes.

2.  It's good. I detailed the few issues with graphics below in my dislike section. The rest of it would be me being finicky if I pointed them out... but it works, and I don't find it detracting from the game.

3. I find the plot to be satisfactory. The start is somewhat awkward, but as you go on in the game, you aren't left sitting there going, "Uh, what just happened?" or "That is SO unrealistic."  The characters' reasoning for continuing in the story, in my opinion, makes sense.

Other questions:
    The game does not come off as repetitive to me. You have several secret areas to always keep a look out for, a variety of manners to uncover these secret areas, and battles that - assuming you are at an appropriate difficulty challenging for yourself - can be quite trying.

Cinematic/scripted events... not really. I haven't seen much save for at the ending of a major boss battle or before you begin an entire new chapter. They definitely don't waste your time with chatter and are very careful and, from what I've seen, pretty darn appropriate in their placement of them.

I find the game difficult, but I am playing it at the hardest setting available. While the puzzles and secret areas don't change based on what setting you choose, they are definitely not LOOK I'M RIGHT HERE. My partner and I have had to think about some of the puzzles, in fact. There are /some/ riddles that are pretty elementary, though.

Gears of War is definitely similar. I think  Resident Evil 5 is sort of similar in the coop sense, but with more of a dungeon crawler feel and more of a challenging use-your-brain feel. RE5 never really did it for me, as much as I enjoyed the game at the end of the day.

Having tons of fun, yes :) 

My favorite aspect of the game is probably  the fact I can choose to be the up front warrior type or the back there sniper type... seriously, I LOVE being strictly a sniper character, and I don't find many video games that really deliver it as well as Hunted did for me on that.  The coop is also amazing, with system link offered as well as split screen and xbox live connections. While I may not recommend this game strongly to a single player type gamer, I would totally insist a heavy coop gamer to at least try it.

What do I not like..? There isn't much that I can actually complain about. Sure, the graphics could be better as I mentioned above, but there's hardly no loading time, no random textures pop up on your screen as you move through the game world, and there isn't much you can clip completely through (though it does happen on the rare occasion). I'm personally not a big fan of the overly feminine aspect of the ladies, but hell, that's... that's just preference.

@The_Laughing_Man

said:

Thread like this made *ask me anything more or less means anyone who played it can talk about it) 

My bad. I was under the impression that it was made specifically for your opinion and figured adding another thread where another's thoughts could be inquired for would not hurt.
    auburok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By auburok
    @Origina1Penguin said:

Describe the quality of: 

1. Voice acting
    3. The plot
    • Is the game difficult? 

I'm currently playing with Idiivil, so we have about the same experience.

Voice acting:
    It's actually pretty good. I don't have any problems with the actual quality of voices. We're about half way through the game, though, so there's room for that to change.

Environment art/design:
     Superb. I wish Dragon Age 2 took notes from these guys. So far everything's been varied, and there's been no feelings of "we've been here". The levels are very different from each other, and are well structured. Secret areas are EVERYWHERE. Movable walls, secret switches you need to shoot from afar, and light-mid range difficulty puzzles. It's a real dungeon crawler. I love it.

Plot:
    The main characters are basically mercenaries, and the warrior is haunted by nightmares. Those nightmares manifest as they get closer to what causes it. Let's just say that so far it's a background plot to the main one:

Part of the dream seems to be a nightmare projection of a person (or so she claims) and promises that her father, the mayor lord of a town, is rich. These mercs like money, so they cautiously accept. It goes from there. Have you ever played dungeons and dragons? Think of it like a campaign. It's not so much the plot, as it is the journey. The journey, so far, has been awesome.

Forgive me, the rest of it will be straight forward replies to bulletpoints.

Not often. We're usually figuring out better ways to kill enemies, and new enemies are introduced fairly regularly. The only part that's repetitive is if you are on a harder difficulty like we are, and make a mistake, and die. It's not exactly generous with save points, so that can get a bit old if you're having problems.
      There's no QTEs, if that's what you're worried about. There's often large battles, but not much is scripted about them aside from enemies coming out to you. They will tend to try to close in on the archer, while the longer ranged attackers will focus on the warrior. Large battles tend to make use of ballistas or catapults.
    • Is the game difficult?
      On casual or gamer, no. We're on "hardcore", which is challenging, but fun. There's a harder locked mode, though. There are no difficulty achievements.
      Army of Two and Resident Evil 5, for the actual "buddy system". There's actually a difference between the two character's main attack style, so it's not quite like those two games. Since most people here have played WoW or another MMORPG, here's this: It's like going through instances with a dps tank and a nuker.
      Almost constantly, even when we're sucking at a part. We haven't had much luck with really good coop games lately, and we thought after Portal 2, we'd be sitting for a bit. I'm glad we were wrong. I dare say that this is more fun than Portal 2 coop for us.
      The secret areas. The puzzles. The cooperative sorts of attacks (freezing enemies and breaking them, or levitating them and one-shotting them in the air). Finding new weapons, shields, or armor. The unorthadox coop puzzles (balancing each other on a beam to get up to an area at the same time). SYSTEM LINK (take notes, other developers!) is a great, lag-less way to play. The game rewards you with abilities for doing particular actions in the game: saving the other player, finding secret areas, using fury strikes as a warrior, etc.
      Some times, some particle effects have a little bit of an outline. It's not game breaking. We also don't like that we can't use a preorder skin until we beat the game, but we figure we'll be playing this for a while. Executions don't seem to be different yet, but I haven't unlocked them.
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Thread like this made *ask me anything more or less means anyone who played it can talk about it) 
    Your thread seems to be congested with nipple questions and vague answers. It won't hurt to have a girl's perspective for this game.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Is there variety to the melee combat?  I was watching YouTube clips and people seem to just do the same basic 4 hit combo over and over.  If the melee combat has more to it than that (hopefully quite a bit more) this sounds like it's my kind of game.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, also:  Are you playing on 360 or PS3?  If PS3, does the split screen seem to affect performance?  And is it horizontally split or vertically split?  

Do you think this game would be compelling still without playing coop?  I want to get the PC version but I wouldn't have anyone to play with until my brother could afford it as well.

IDiivil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IDiivil
    @xobballox said:

Is there a variety to the melee combat?  I was watching YouTube clips and people seem to just do the same basic 4 hit combo over and over.  If the melee combat has more to it than that (hopefully quite a bit more) this sounds like it's my kind of game.

For the warrior:

There's a four hit combo and a Y move you can hit to add a heavy attack. There are also specific warrior battle magics that change things up a bit (you have dashes, slams, and a rage move that empowers you). Otherwise, there's a slight differentiation between your weapons (sword, mace, axe).  You can also block with your shield (which is crucial in hand to hand combat).

Regarding the shield, you have to time when you lift it to block attacks and make a counter. In other words, it can demand your attention away from potential repetition. The shield will also break after repeated use, forcing you to search for alternatives. 

In short - One on one battle can be repetitive, but when fighting two or more enemies, it gets hectic. You probably won't be noticing the four hit move sequences at that point. Good luck even getting them all in.

For the elf:

Melee combat is VERY repetitive. You use a shorter sword and basically do the same move over and over. That's about it. Keep in mind, though, that the elf isn't suited for melee, so you probably shouldn't be relying on it to begin with.

@xobballox said:

Oh, also:  Are you playing on 360 or PS3?  If PS3, does the split screen seem to affect performance?  And is it horizontally split or vertically split?    Do you think this game would be compelling still without playing coop?  I want to get the PC version but I wouldn't have anyone to play with until my brother could afford it as well.

I'm playing this game on the 360. If it's any help, on the 360, the game splits horizontally and split screen does not seem to affect performance whatsoever. It ran very, very smoothly.

Without coop..? While the AI for the game isn't a complete idiot, I do find that part of the enjoyment of Hunted: The Demon's Forge is being able to explore with a friend. While I have played some single player and had a decent time, I'm not sure if I can say whether or not you'll have a GREAT time on your own like I am with a friend. It's worth trying out, but if you're stuck in solo play, I'd personally recommend you wait on the price to drop a little.

Also, you may want to research any potential PC bugs with Hunted. I saw a complaint or two regarding it on Hunted's Facebook page, but I haven't researched it.
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IDiivil said:
    @xobballox said:
    Is there a variety to the melee combat?  I was watching YouTube clips and people seem to just do the same basic 4 hit combo over and over.  If the melee combat has more to it than that (hopefully quite a bit more) this sounds like it's my kind of game.
    For the warrior:  There's a four hit combo and a Y move you can hit to add a heavy attack. There are also specific warrior battle magics that change things up a bit (you have dashes, slams, and a rage move that empowers you). Otherwise, there's a slight differentiation between your weapons (sword, mace, axe).  You can also block with your shield (which is crucial in hand to hand combat), but you have to time when you lift your shield to block their attacks and make a counter attack. In other words, it can demand your attention away from potential repetition. The shield will also break after repeated use, forcing you to search for alternatives.   In short - One on one battle can be repetitive, but when fighting two or more enemies, it gets hectic. You probably won't be noticing the four hit move sequences at that point. Good luck even getting them all in.  For the elf:  Melee combat is VERY repetitive. You use a shorter sword and basically do the same move over and over. That's about it.
    Oh, awesome.  That sort of sounds like Demon's Souls (which I LOVE).  Good news.  I was thinking it was more similar to a God of War game or something.

Thanks!
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IDiivil said:

@xobballox said:

Oh, also:  Are you playing on 360 or PS3?  If PS3, does the split screen seem to affect performance?  And is it horizontally split or vertically split?    Do you think this game would be compelling still without playing coop?  I want to get the PC version but I wouldn't have anyone to play with until my brother could afford it as well.

I'm playing this game on the 360. If it's any help, on the 360, the game splits horizontally and split screen does not seem to affect performance whatsoever. It ran very, very smoothly.  Without coop..? While the AI for the game isn't a complete idiot, I do find that part of the enjoyment of Hunted: The Demon's Forge is being able to explore with a friend. While I have played some single player and had a decent time, I'm not sure if I can say whether or not you'll have a GREAT time on your own like I am with a friend. It's worth trying out, but if you're stuck in solo play, I'd personally recommend you wait on the price to drop a little.  Also, you may want to research any potential PC bugs with Hunted. I saw a complaint or two regarding it on Hunted's Facebook page, but I haven't researched it.
    Alrighty, thanks a lot!  I'll probably wait a bit to see if my brother can get it as well.
    IDiivil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IDiivil
    @xobballox said:

@IDiivil said:

@xobballox said:
    For the warrior:  There's a four hit combo and a Y move you can hit to add a heavy attack. There are also specific warrior battle magics that change things up a bit (you have dashes, slams, and a rage move that empowers you). Otherwise, there's a slight differentiation between your weapons (sword, mace, axe).  You can also block with your shield (which is crucial in hand to hand combat), but you have to time when you lift your shield to block their attacks and make a counter attack. In other words, it can demand your attention away from potential repetition. The shield will also break after repeated use, forcing you to search for alternatives.   In short - One on one battle can be repetitive, but when fighting two or more enemies, it gets hectic. You probably won't be noticing the four hit move sequences at that point. Good luck even getting them all in.  For the elf:  Melee combat is VERY repetitive. You use a shorter sword and basically do the same move over and over. That's about it.
    Oh, awesome.  That sort of sounds like Demon's Souls (which I LOVE).  Good news.  I was thinking it was more similar to a God of War game or something.  Thanks!
    Very similar to Demon Soul... just with coop and different classes (one as melee specialization and the other with ranged, both peppered in with spells).

And you're welcome! :) Glad I could help.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By metalmoog

I would love to hear from a PS3 user. My only concern at this point is the absence or quality of voice chat in game if it is present.

IDiivil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IDiivil
    @MetalMoog said:
    I would love to hear from a PS3 user. My only concern at this point is the absence or quality of voice chat in game if it is present.
    I'll ask around for you and see if I can't find someone to tell me the deal regarding that.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShockD

Are you more of a gamer or more of a model?

IDiivil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IDiivil

@antikorper: Overall, I'd say more of a gamer. That's what I know from childhood and what I've carried with me now and forever. Modeling is fun, and it'll probably be one of my bigger incomes, but... modeling is the affair I have on the side on my partner Video Games. It just isn't "The One."

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog

Can you describe boss fights (if there are any)? Big bosses, small bosses, puzzle bosses, weak point bosses, etc. ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.