Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hybrid

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 08, 2012

When an alien bacteria infects and takes over half the population of the Earth, the other half aren't going to go down without a fight. This online multiplayer shooter from 5th Cell depicts the war between the Variant alien-human hybrids and the Paladin, the remaining humans immune to the pathogen.

5th Cell Sheds A Bit More Light On Its Shooter 'Hybrid'

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

After revealing its upcoming shooter Hybrid via trailer in October, developer 5th Cell (of Scribblenautsfame) is finally starting to, you know, talk about Hybrid. In a new press release the developer busts out this key morsel of intel: in the game, you’ll control a soldier on a “single, unified world server” tasked with “capturing territories or countries, leading to global domination.” Kinda has a MAG ring to it, right?

Before we dig into who those two factions are, I want to note that 5th Cell has confirmed that Hybrid will feature persistent online character upgrades and unlocks. If you’ve played an online shooter in the last three or so years, you realize how effective character progression is to keeping you playing. The specifics on this system, though, are being kept behind lock and key for the time being.  

== TEASER ==Now, for that story/faction material, provided via the press release:

Hybrid is set in the post-apocalyptic year 2031, after an extinction-level asteroid collided with Earth wiping out billons. A single-celled alien bacterium buried deep within the asteroid spread into the atmosphere, infecting half of the survivors and turning them into the Variant, a genetically altered race. Six years later the Variant began a new world order and waged a massive global war against the immune populace, known as the Paladin.

Still no date or price on Hybrid, but 5th Cell is showing off the game at GDC, so it looks like we'll be learning a lot more about this one in the near future.   

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

After revealing its upcoming shooter Hybrid via trailer in October, developer 5th Cell (of Scribblenautsfame) is finally starting to, you know, talk about Hybrid. In a new press release the developer busts out this key morsel of intel: in the game, you’ll control a soldier on a “single, unified world server” tasked with “capturing territories or countries, leading to global domination.” Kinda has a MAG ring to it, right?

Before we dig into who those two factions are, I want to note that 5th Cell has confirmed that Hybrid will feature persistent online character upgrades and unlocks. If you’ve played an online shooter in the last three or so years, you realize how effective character progression is to keeping you playing. The specifics on this system, though, are being kept behind lock and key for the time being.  

== TEASER ==Now, for that story/faction material, provided via the press release:

Hybrid is set in the post-apocalyptic year 2031, after an extinction-level asteroid collided with Earth wiping out billons. A single-celled alien bacterium buried deep within the asteroid spread into the atmosphere, infecting half of the survivors and turning them into the Variant, a genetically altered race. Six years later the Variant began a new world order and waged a massive global war against the immune populace, known as the Paladin.

Still no date or price on Hybrid, but 5th Cell is showing off the game at GDC, so it looks like we'll be learning a lot more about this one in the near future.   

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Titl

Cool

edit: Now that i have actually read the story, it'll be interesting to see if this'll be any good.

Halumbooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Halumbooka

hmm  

edit: darn so close

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Sooperspy

This sounds alright.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zaccheus

5th Cell will probably do something really cool, whether it will work or not is a different question.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Wasara88

i was hoping for a new trailer

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

"Play on these 6 maps as your faction takes over the entire world"

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayzilla

post-apocalyptic shoooter? i feel like i have played one(20-50) of those recently.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Fish... smell?

JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By JustinSane311

I hope this game implements Scribblenauts word creation system.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

Looks pretty cool. I have faith in 5th Cell

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

Christ I hope this game comes out on the PC. Would hate to miss it because it's only on the consoles.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

Looks badass

milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By milpool

This looks amazingly average so far.  3rd person shooter with space marines vs. aliens / infected dudes.   Wow, that really stands out in the crowd.

What I'd really like this press release to explain is how 5th Cell goes from developing amazingly innovative DS games to boring cookie-cutter 3rd person shooter games.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

Meh, I'll hold off until they release the follow-up Super Hybrid that fixes the crappy controls.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16  Edited By Sin4profit

Still not enough information to make it interesting. The screen shots make it look like a hybrid between a shooter and Risk to me.

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By GozerTC
    @RockmanBionics said:
    "Meh, I'll hold off until they release the follow-up Super Hybrid that fixes the crappy controls. "

ROFL.  That's so wrong yet right.  Cudos! :)  

As for me this game sounds like a competitor to Planetside NEXT instead of MAG.  MAG doesn't really have persistant servers so much.  At least not very well shown.  :\ 
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Sin4profit said:
    " Still not enough information to make it interesting. The screen shots make it look like a hybrid between a shooter and Risk to me. "
    ...and that's a BAD thing?
    Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
    posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By posttimeskipsam

The main character is Maxwell.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By Sin4profit
    @HubrisRanger said:
    " @Sin4profit said:
    " Still not enough information to make it interesting. The screen shots make it look like a hybrid between a shooter and Risk to me. "
    ...and that's a BAD thing? "
    god no...that would be awesome, but my mind has the habit of turning speculatory things into "awesome" and the reality of those things falls flat...so like i said, not enough info for me to be interested.
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jim_dandy

Just use the handcuffs to win.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By MistaSparkle

I'm incredibly intrigued by the way the environments look, and now I'm incredibly intrigued by the way the gameplay will work. Can't wait to see more!

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MichaelBach
    @MistaSparkle said:
    " I'm incredibly intrigued by the way the environments look, and now I'm incredibly intrigued by the way the gameplay will work. Can't wait to see more! "
    Agreed, has potential, I like the whole world domination unified server concept.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By onarum

Kind of like a big change of direction eh? from scribblenauts to this, actually from anything they've ever made to this, it was like a cutesy platform game where you draw your own character, then a cutesy tower defense like game (that was actually pretty nice), then a cutesy puzzle game and then a third person, cover based(we all know that's going to be there), shooter with crazy persistent world stuff to it.

It actually looks quite nice, I'm eager to learn more about it.
    edit: scratch that.... I was interested, then I saw that it's xbox live exclusive..... god damn why no psn version? people would be more inclined to play this on the ps3 I think, since it looks like it has heavy online features and you know, you don't have to pay for freaking online play....

@JustinSane311

said:

" I hope this game implements Scribblenauts word creation system. "

Yeah, then whenever you are losing you just summon a giant ravenous pink gorilla to eff everyone up, or some corn-dogs just for the heck of it.
    Avatar image for thehideousshrew
    thehideousshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By thehideousshrew

CHEST-HIGH WALLS!

emnii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By emnii

Looks interesting!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.