Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hyrule Warriors

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Aug 14, 2014

Omega Force, Team Ninja and Nintendo team up for this spin-off of the Legend of Zelda series, featuring the large-scale hack-and-slash gameplay made popular by the Dynasty Warriors series.

About Linkle (Female Link concept art thread)

• 108 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

This was found in the Japanese art book for Hyrule Warriors:

You look different, Link!
    You look different, Link!

There's no telling how serious this is, as sometimes concept art comes about more for entertainment than actual planning, but it seems that someone, somewhere toyed around with at least the idea of a female Link. Enough that the design was published in a collection of production artwork. That's pretty cool, actually. It shows that they're not afraid to think outside the usual concepts when it comes to the characters. It's a pretty cool design, too.

Source

EDIT:

OK, guys. Wow. The response this thread has received. I tried writing a blog post to encapsulate my thoughts on the response, it was mod-locked immediately for reasons of being a duplicate thread, so I'll just repost what I wrote there here:

From a basic analysis, the artwork definitely appears to be a female Link. She wears a feminine cut of Link’s tunic, a looser-fitting cap, and taller boots, but it is, in general, Link’s traditional garb. The specific aspects of the design, such as the shade of green in the tunic, the blonde color of Link’s hair, and the texture of the gloves and boots, all indicate that Linkle is, more or less, a female design of the Hyrule Warriors Link, minus the scarf. This makes sense given the source material and the people responsible.

What I find off-putting are those that seemed to be more reductive in their own analysis. The idea that it doesn’t take much to make Link a woman, that he’s already feminine enough that you could just put breasts on him and call him a her, is absurd. There’s no question that in games such as Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword that Link’s designs skew away from the rugged and more toward the pretty concept of masculine beauty. But having features that could be described as androgynous doesn’t mean that Link is one or two steps away from being a girl. Nor does it mean that it takes zero effort to draw a female Link, as though ideas like proportion, body and facial shape are meaningless and easily exchanged. I have artist friends that have little to no trouble drawing women, but ask them to draw a man and the task suddenly grows more difficult for them. From an artistic standpoint, masculine and feminine physiques simply are not one in the same.

Equally absurd were responses directed at Linkle’s attire. In particular, criticism was directed toward her boots, with suggestions that it was out of character for her; a concept that is largely meaningless, as Linkle’s personality is undefined and who’s to say that she wouldn’t wear them? Other arguments were targeted more at the notion that the boots are impractical and the ensemble as a whole leaves her thighs unguarded. But these arguments tend to ignore the history of Link’s designs almost entirely.

A Link to the Past
    A Link to the Past
    Ocarina of Time
    Ocarina of Time
    Twilight Princess
    Twilight Princess

Each of the above designs are Link from Zelda games of different eras, and each variation of his design feature some significant weakpoints in his garb. Some provide no real defense to his legs at all, leaving them bare, or at best clad in tights. And while some of his later designs include a chainmail shirt under his tunic, most of his designs lack such protection. In some ways, Linkle’s boots provide more protection than Link’s average leg-wear.

And then there are the comments that dismiss the notion of a female Link entirely. What’s the point, they ask, if Link never had any personality to begin with? It is a dismissal of basic character, presenting an assumption that Link could be replaced with a cactus and it wouldn’t affect the game at all. It is an argument that ignores the backgrounds and relationships of each Link that has come and gone. While Link has historically been a silent protagonist and each incarnation shares certain heroic qualities and traits, it is his connection to the world and its characters that define him. The Link of Skyward Sword is not the same person as the Link of Wind Waker, or A Link to the Past, or Ocarina of Time. Each has their own aspects and relationships that define them as characters and individuals in their own right. Take, for example, how the silent Link reacts to revelations in this scene from Skyward Sword:

This is what really sets Link apart as a character so ripe for this treatment. Each Link is different, so who’s to say that at least one of the destined heroes in Hyrule’s long history isn’t a heroine? No matter what the reasoning behind Linkle’s design was, whether it had been mere amusement on a part of the character designer or part of an actual consideration as game content, it was obviously on the minds of some of the developers. The idea was also brought to the mind of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma when he learned people were confused regarding the gender and identity of the figure that is Link in the Zelda Wii U teaser trailer. To say nothing of the countless pieces of fanart produced over the years that have genderbent Link for one reason or another.

Including easy jokes.
    Including easy jokes.

The larger point I’m making is that the idea of a female Link isn’t an absurd notion that’s worth immediate dismissal. The character as a concept is ripe for it, developers are intrigued by it, and fans have expressed varying degrees of interest and desire for it. Or I guess I should say her. Even if it were just for one game, it’s an idea that could put some fun twists on ideas of who Link(le) is and what (s)he represents.

If a future Zelda title featured Linkle instead of Link, whether she appear as designed in the art book illustration or in some other guise, how would you feel about that? Is it something you’d have interest in? Would it make you more interested in the game than usual? Less? Would you just not care? But more importantly, why do you feel that way?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I don't see any practical difference other than boobs.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Interesting. I like the idea that they've at least considered this in some form. I'm all for it, whatever they wanna do.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And visible upper thigh, as is apparently required for almost all female Japanese character designs.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

she looks like the elf from dragons crown.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Because that's literally all you have to do to make most incarnations of Link look female.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Whatevs.

The rumor about that Wii U Zelda trailer having a female Link would have been the coolest thing ever if it was true, but this design just sucks.

This being a Tecmo project, I have to imagine that the art department is playing otaku fetish bingo. They probably tried to sell Nintendo on a cat girl too.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@saturdaynightspecials said:

Whatevs.

The rumor about that Wii U Zelda trailer having a female Link would have been the coolest thing ever if it was true, but this design just sucks.

I think the design looks pretty good. It's very obviously Link, but a female version in terms of build, face, hair length, and the redesigned garments, which in turn appear to be a redesign of his HW costume sans scarf.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

a few drinks and that's enough ;)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I looked at it and went "Hey, that's a pretty alright design. Visibly different from link, distinctly a lady, variety of outfits that don't show a lot of skin, that's cool." Then a bunch of people in the thread, predictably, just decide to be reductive and take a crap all over it.

Those are some pretty alright designs though.

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Whatevs.

I think the design looks pretty good. It's very obviously Link, but a female version in terms of build, face, hair length, and the redesigned garments, which in turn appear to be a redesign of his HW costume sans scarf.

My issue with it is, it seems to have been designed from a standpoint of "What if a lady was cosplaying as Link?" instead of "What can we do to make this design distinct from male Link, but still cool and character-appropriate?"

If Link was female, I'd like to imagine he wouldn't wear thigh-high boots and a mini-skirt (ignoring young Link's outfit for a moment). Link's clothes are fairly practical for rugged adventuring, especially in the more recent games.

Of course, this is just a collection of sketches, not a finalized design (as far as we know). But my criticism stands if it does show up in the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Whatevs.

My issue with it is, it seems to have been designed from a standpoint of "What if a lady was cosplaying as Link?" instead of "What can we do to make this design distinct from male Link, but still cool and character-appropriate?"

If Link was female, I'd like to imagine he wouldn't wear thigh-high boots and a mini-skirt (ignoring young Link's outfit for a moment). Link's clothes are fairly practical for rugged adventuring, especially in the more recent games.

Of course, this is just a collection of sketches, not a finalized design (as far as we know). But my criticism stands if it does show up in the game.

Well, the idea was to design Link as a lady in the context of an existing design. Not to design a female Link from scratch.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Given how feminine certain incarnations of Link already look (talkin' to you Skyward Sword), this somehow doesn't seem like much of a step.

The design certainly is a lot more... conservative than some of the fan art that has been displayed on these forums before. I will give it that much.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats kinda dumb and completely lacking any originality. It's like they spent 20 minutes on deviant art rather than come up with a fresh interesting female character for the zelda games.

(hell, theres probably better female link designs on deviant.)

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By egg

That's how it should be. Anything more is sexism / cultural projection. :p

Usually one might expect the female version to be wearing a lot less clothes.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hot.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I would be down for shooting fools with my crossbow as a female link.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

@corruptedevil said:

Because that's literally all you have to do to make most incarnations of Link look female.

Boom! Truth explosion!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Papageno Papagena

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

she looks like the elf from dragons crown.

Hah! Yes! That's it, I was wondering why she looked so familiar.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@hailinel said:

@hailinel said:

Whatevs.

Well, the idea was to design Link as a lady in the context of an existing design. Not to design a female Link from scratch.

I've read that this was meant to be Link's daughter "Linkle". And that just raises more questions.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is sort of why I never understood the obsession over "make female Link!" or "don't make female Link!" It.. just looks like Link, guys. There's barely any aesthetic difference here.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

This is sort of why I never understood the obsession over "make female Link!" or "don't make female Link!" It.. just looks like Link, guys. There's barely any aesthetic difference here.

I'm guessing her being female might matter a bit, as well, beyond just the aesthetic difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@marokai said:

I'm guessing her being female might matter a bit, as well, beyond just the aesthetic difference.

My point was that Link has never had much of a personality. Beyond the weird art changes Link goes through, he's always been a fairly static character like most of Nintendo's characters. The game has always been a much bigger deal. I've never understood the furor for, or opposed, because there's not really much creatively that can be born from Link being female aside from changing gender pronouns and the next-to-non-existent voice clips. It would just be Link being female. It would be entirely symbolic in a series like this. Which is fine, I guess, if some people value that symbolism.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@truthtellah said:

@marokai said:

My point was that Link has never had much of a personality. Beyond the weird art changes Link goes through, he's always been a fairly static character like most of Nintendo's characters. The game has always been a much bigger deal. I've never understood the furor for, or opposed, because there's not really much creatively that can be born from Link being female aside from changing gender pronouns and the next-to-non-existent voice clips. It would just be Link being female. It would be entirely symbolic in a series like this. Which is fine, I guess, if some people value that symbolism.

I don't think that's quite true. Link has always had a general personality which has been expanded on at times. When I think of Link, usually it's as an underachieving kid who is a bit absent minded. Some might even say naive. Firm in their moral compass but not much of a go-getter. Tragedy or crisis, like Zelda being kidnapped or Link's father being killed, tends to spark a grand quest that reveals a new purpose and perspective.

Link finds a calling in the challenges that arise. Usually, it's a story of an uncertain young person finding their strength and seeing that they too can be a hero.

Link has always been a bit of a conceptual hero rather than a set hero, and that means even little differences are notable with different incarnations. I think a female twist on Link could be a fun addition to the series and make an incarnation of Link that female fans can relate to even more. I know I'd certainly appreciate it. :)

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Sure why not.

It would certainly be a way to get folks talking about Zelda again

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Corevi
    @slag said:

Sure why not.

A new Zelda game is all that's needed to get people talking about Zelda. Hell they put the Zelda license on FUCKING DYNASTY WARRIORS and people are talking about it and are hyped for it even when they've expressed complete apathy or even hatred of the DW series.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

It would be neat to see Link as a girl. Would spice things up a bit.

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Well yeah, that was their problem. That isn't conducive to an interesting design.

And they didn't even do that right, because as I said, a female Link wouldn't have anime schoolgirl thighs going on. It's out of character.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

@slag said:

Sure why not.

A new Zelda game is all that's needed to get people talking about Zelda. Hell they put the Zelda license on FUCKING DYNASTY WARRIORS and people are talking about it and are hyped for it even when they've expressed complete apathy or even hatred of the DW series.

That's true to some extent, but I don't feel like Zelda has as much cachet as it used to, partly due to Nintendo's platforms losing ground.

There was a time around Spirit Tracks/Skyward Sword where it felt it was really starting to fall out of public consciousness, but a Link Between Worlds really won back a lot of folks. Still it's hardly Call of Duty etc in terms of capturing the Public imagination these days.

If Link were female that might be enough to get Zelda get GTA type attention again like it used to have.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

If Link were female that might be enough to get Zelda get GTA type attention again like it used to have.

I really hope that slightly changing a character model wouldn't drive sales that much and that actual gameplay is still what people play videogames for.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slag

@corruptedevil:

Link isn't most characters, you are talking about changing the gender of one of the very most iconic characters in all of video game history. If that was done in a console mainline Zelda title, I don't see how it wouldn't get people's attention and mainstream press.

That's not to say people wouldn't still primarily care about the gameplay, but to cross over into being a phenomena you have to have a second hook that ties into the zeitgeist of the time in some way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

Well yeah, that was their problem. That isn't conducive to an interesting design.

And they didn't even do that right, because as I said, a female Link wouldn't have anime schoolgirl thighs going on. It's out of character.

How is it out of character? Link is a figure that doesn't have much a specifically defined personality, different Links have different histories. Who's to say that a female Link wouldn't wear something like that?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By AndrewB

@corruptedevil: The assumption would be that if they're changing the protagonist for the first time ever in the series that there would be a drastic enough change to the game surrounding it to break out of the staleness that has been mainline Zelda games - and even past handheld ones to a certain extent, but although Phantom Hourglass was technically a sequel to Wind Waker, it had a completely different gameplay system which also made good use of the DS hardware to pull of unique things, and the recent Link Between Worlds also speaks for itself.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@hailinel said:

@hailinel said:

Whatevs.

I've read that this was meant to be Link's daughter "Linkle". And that just raises more questions.

The biggest question being "Who the hell could possibly think that name is a good idea?"

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I feel that this just looks like Zelda in Link's clothing. Why not just make another cool, original female character?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that this just looks like Zelda in Link's clothing. Why not just make another cool, original female character?

They did. Multiple times. Impa, Tetra, Midna and Fi.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@streetninja said:

They did. Multiple times. Impa, Tetra, Midna and Fi.

Not to mention Saria, Nabooru, Marin, Malon, Ruto, and many others.

There are a lot of colorful female characters in the Zelda series. That doesn't mean that Link can't be one of them at least once, though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ripelivejam

Muh feminism

don't worry, billy. these awkward feelings are natural when you reach puberty. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tru3_blu3 said:

Muh feminism

don't worry, billy. these awkward feelings are natural when you reach puberty. :)

c:

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Huh. Cool. It's a neat character design that way. I'd be interested in playing a Zelda game where Link is a girl.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

There are a lot of colorful female characters in the Zelda series. That doesn't mean that Link can't be one of them at least once, though.

Hmm. The idea never really occured to me. Probably because I haven't (to my constant shame) played that many Zelda games. But considering that the whole framework is that the many "Links" are sort of an individual embodiment of this more abstract destined hero, it would be really cool to play around with that concept as different characters. Or at least, stray a bit more from the doppelgangers we've had so far. I can see the tagline:

"Pink hair was just the beginning..."

Although, I do agree with some others here that the main drawing just looks like Zelda doing Link cosplay. I think it's those rad sideburn pigtails.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MindBullet
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I always considered Zelda to be sort of the female version of Link.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@corruptedevil said:

@slag said:

Sure why not.

That's true to some extent, but I don't feel like Zelda has as much cachet as it used to, partly due to Nintendo's platforms losing ground.

There was a time around Spirit Tracks/Skyward Sword where it felt it was really starting to fall out of public consciousness, but a Link Between Worlds really won back a lot of folks. Still it's hardly Call of Duty etc in terms of capturing the Public imagination these days.

As much as we gaming enthusiasts like to think of Zelda as one of the most prominent series in gaming, the truth is that Zelda has never had the attention or recognition on the level of GTA or Call of Duty. No Zelda game has ever even reached the 10 million sold mark, whereas GTA and Call of Duty are pretty much guaranteed to surpass 15 million by a wide margin. Zelda's accomplishments have largely been critical accompanied by good but not exceptional sales numbers. The series is incredibly important for its game design and gameplay innovations, but it really hasn't reached public awareness outside of the gaming community since its early years.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By syz
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.