Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ico

Character » appears in 2 games

Ico is eponymous protagonist of the game Ico for PlayStation 2.

How do you personally pronounce ICO

Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Rainbowkisses

Poll How do you personally pronounce ICO (220 votes)

E-CO 61%
    eye-co 37%
    Other (please explain) 2%
     • 
    Rainbowkisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know the correct pronunciation is E-Co but I've always said eye-co.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

eeco is the correct answer, if you pronounce it eyeco then you're a monster

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

This.

Also, I never said I wasn't a monster :o

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

ike - co; if they wanted it to be Eco they could've just spelled it Eco. Dolphins can go fuck themselves.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E-Co, as you should.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gif

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joeyoe31

E-co is the only way.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Both.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Ick. Oh.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainbowkisses said:

Same. I know it's supposed to be pronounced 'iko', since it's a kind of clumsy word play on the Japanese 'ikou', meaning 'let's go', referencing the kid leading Yorda around the castle. However if they wanted it to be pronounced that way for the Western release IMO they should have phoneticised it better.

It's similar to the Aeris vs Aerith thing. The Japanese may have intended the name to be Romanicised as 'Aerith', but they certainly didn't pronounce it that way because there is no 'th' sound in Japanese. They say 'Aerisu', with not much emphasis on the 'u'. In the Western release it was spelt 'Aeris' so why pronounce it as 'Aerith'? Purism towards an original form that doesn't exist...

Or the way people bicker about the 'correct' pronunciation of Karateka... Screw it, don't get me started. I'm done.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By awesomeusername

If you pronounce it as "eye-co", it's time to take a good long look at your life.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laivasse said:

@rainbowkisses said:

Same. I know it's supposed to be pronounced 'iko', since it's a kind of clumsy word play on the Japanese 'ikou', meaning 'let's go', referencing the kid leading Yorda around the castle. However if they wanted it to be pronounced that way for the Western release IMO they should have phoneticised it better.

It's similar to the Aeris vs Aerith thing. The Japanese may have intended the name to be Romanicised as 'Aerith', but they certainly didn't pronounce it that way because there is no 'th' sound in Japanese. They say 'Aerisu', with not much emphasis on the 'u'. In the Western release it was spelt 'Aeris' so why pronounce it as 'Aerith'? Purism towards an original form that doesn't exist...

Or the way people bicker about the 'correct' pronunciation of Karateka... Screw it, don't get me started. I'm done.

Honestly, this kind of reeks of western entitlement. "If they want me to pronounce words properly they should be spelled more American."

It doesn't matter if words are spelled phonetically or not, they still have correct and incorrect pronunciations. You can choose not to pronounce it that way, but that doesn't make it any less incorrect. It's a silly thing to suggest anyway, as English is full of borrowed words from other languages that aren't pronounced phonetically.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Who the hell says "eye-co"?! Crazy people, that's who.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By EquitasInvictus

E-co. That's definitely phonetically correct, right?!

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@zeik said:

@laivasse said:

@rainbowkisses said:

Honestly, this kind of reeks of western entitlement. "If they want me to pronounce words properly they should be spelled more American."

It doesn't matter if words are spelled phonetically or not, they still have correct and incorrect pronunciations. You can choose not to pronounce it that way, but that doesn't make it any less incorrect. It's a silly thing to suggest anyway, as English is full of borrowed words from other languages that aren't pronounced phonetically.

Nice going, you hit the double jackpot on assuming that a non-American is American and using the buzzword of 'entitlement' in a topic where it has zero relevance. With a degree in language, I've simply put more thought into linguistics than you have, that's all.

The debate on how best to pronounce fantasy words with no governing rules is a playground game of one-upmanship. The reason 'Ico' has to be pronounced phonetically is because it is not English, nor is it Japanese, nor any other language on earth, barring coincidence. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable to pronounce it 'eye-co', following the English model of 'icon'.

If for some reason you are aspiring to pronounce it as close as possible to the katakana, despite the fact that as a Western gamer you have not been presented with the katakana and probably don't understand them, here are some tips. 'Ee-co' is just as inaccurate as 'eye-co'. Accurately, it is 'ih-koh', as if you're saying the 'i' of ichor and the 'co' of cop. That is, as long as you're using the British pronunciation of 'cop'. I can't think of a word to relate to the pronunciation of 'イコ’ which contains a '-co' sound that Americans pronounce naturally as part of their dialects. Make sure you don't say 'ikkoe', either. Do you understand how dumb this whole thing is yet?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laivasse: I actually wasn't assuming you were American, I was just using that as an example of western entitlement.

Fantasy words still have intended pronunciations. It's certainly reasonable that someone would not immediately know that pronunciation just by looking at the word, but the intended pronunciation is still the correct one. You can choose to pronounce it otherwise even knowing that, but there's still a correct and incorrect pronunciation. Changing the title of the game just so westerners can phonetically pronounce it easier is completely silly.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Laura

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@zeik said:

@laivasse: I actually wasn't assuming you were American, I was just using that as an example of western entitlement.

Fantasy words still have intended pronunciations. It's certainly reasonable that someone would not immediately know that pronunciation just by looking at the word, but the intended pronunciation is still the correct one. You can choose to pronounce it otherwise even knowing that, but there's still a correct and incorrect pronunciation. Changing the title of the game just so westerners can phonetically pronounce it easier is completely silly.

Fantasy words have intended pronunciations where there are governing rules, even if the governing rules are fantasy. For instance, that's how Peter Jackson's crew figured out they had to say Sow-ron and Saa-ruman instead of Saw-ron and Sarruman. With ICO, gamers just face a box with a made up word. If you can show me a quote of Fumito Ueda saying "I think ICO should be pronounced 'ikko''' then I'd be interested to see it, along with his rationalisation, considering the word doesn't appear in the game nor have any other relevance, other than a wonky word play in another language. It's not like it comes from a language used in the game, with conventions established by the game.

'Changing the title of the game' is what they did do, firstly because ICO is not spelt with Japanese characters and secondly because the accepted Romanisation of イコ would be 'iko', not Ico. Beyond gaming, this boils down to fundamental problems of romanisation and Anglicisation of languages that don't share our alphabet (and those problems exist), but what's silly is expecting gamers to seek out interviews and background info in order to know how to pronounce a made-up word that's been created by a non-native speaker of English, based on language conventions from a language other than English.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laivasse said:

@zeik said:

@laivasse said:

@rainbowkisses said:

Nice going, you hit the double jackpot on assuming that a non-American is American and using the buzzword of 'entitlement' in a topic where it has zero relevance. With a degree in language, I've simply put more thought into linguistics than you have, that's all.

The debate on how best to pronounce fantasy words with no governing rules is a playground game of one-upmanship. The reason 'Ico' has to be pronounced phonetically is because it is not English, nor is it Japanese, nor any other language on earth, barring coincidence. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable to pronounce it 'eye-co', following the English model of 'icon'.

If for some reason you are aspiring to pronounce it as close as possible to the katakana, despite the fact that as a Western gamer you have not been presented with the katakana and probably don't understand them, here are some tips. 'Ee-co' is just as inaccurate as 'eye-co'. Accurately, it is 'ih-koh', as if you're saying the 'i' of ichor and the 'co' of cop. That is, as long as you're using the British pronunciation of 'cop'. I can't think of a word to relate to the pronunciation of 'イコ’ which contains a '-co' sound that Americans pronounce naturally as part of their dialects. Make sure you don't say 'ikkoe', either. Do you understand how dumb this whole thing is yet?

SHUT UP WITH YOUR AMERICAN ENTITLEMENT JERK FACE! CAN'T YOU SEE THE IRONY THAT I SAID YOU SOUND ENTITLED WHEN I'M THE ONE ACTING ENTITLED!>!? GOD WHY CAN'T YOU AMERICAN SUB HUMANS BE MORE LIKE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AND STOP BEING SO WHITE PRIVILEGED, ENTITLED SUB HUMANS~?!

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Ico Ico all day!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

When I first saw the letters I-C-O, I said "eye-co" without ever having heard anyone else say it. Even now that I know how others pronounce it, I still say "eye-co" whenever I see it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laivasse: This sure looks like it says "ICO" on the original Japanese box to me:

No Caption Provided

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@grantheaslip said:

@laivasse said:

@zeik said:

@laivasse said:

@rainbowkisses said:

You've said a lot of things, but the fact remains that "ee-ko" (or "iko", or "ih-koh") is more accurate than "eye-co". "Ee-ko" may still be wrong, but in a far more nuanced way. Yes, I'm not a linguist, I don't speak Japanese, and I find what you've written interesting, but let's be serious here.

I agree that this isn't really worth getting too hung up on if someone makes an honest and understandable mistake in pronunciation, but knowing it's supposed to be "ih-koh" and stubbornly sticking with "eye-co" (and expecting others to be on board with that) is pretty dumb as well. "Ico" may technically have been romanicised incorrectly, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a correct (in the sense that it reflects the creator's intention and the language it was written in) pronunciation.

I fundamentally disagree with the notion that vowel sounds are the only, or most important, mistake you can make when it comes to approximating another language, and to me that's the message that gets propagated when people say 'it's ee-co'. Psychological attachments to language conventions fascinate me and I think this is a hangup of English, where there are a ton of different vowel sounds and getting them right seems intuitively important to the speaker. When we transliterate vowels and get the sounds more or less in the right ball park we tell ourselves we've done OK. However that is not necessarily the rule across languages. Due to stretching the 'i', 'ee-co' literally means 'good child', which is just as nonsensical as 'eye-co' in terms of getting the pronunciation 'right'. Who are we trying to impress with our pronunciation of entertainment products? It seems to me that stipulating the best way to mispronounce something is just an egotistical game.

Also, 'Eye-co' shouldn't necessarily be the standard - I'm saying there should be no standard in a case such as this. I don't think there is a 'right' pronunciation of a fantasy word when it represents a product appearing in a separate market, as opposed to the original market where the word might have carried certain nuances. ICO was not transliterated incorrectly, rather it was how the marketing division decided to pitch the name of the game at Western audiences. From there, however people instinctively pronounce it is how it's pronounced. If it really was Team Ico's call that they wanted Western audiences to conform to a word play they didn't understand, which was weird even in the original Japanese, then fair enough, yet I would still consider that bad marketing. I haven't seen that said, however.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I pronounce it as awesome.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@zeik: It says ICO on the Japanese cover but the horned kid is referred to in Japanese discussion as イコ ('iko'), as far as I'm aware, which is presumably where the title and the wordplay comes from.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pronounce it "Shadow of the Colossus," because why the fuck are we still talking about Ico?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zeik

@laivasse: I'm not sure why the horned kid is relevant. We were talking about the title of the game, were we not? Point being, the title was not changed when it was localized for western audiences.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@zeik: Not sure why you think this is significant. The hole you've picked benefits my perspective more than it does yours. The more you divorce the made-up term 'ICO' from the character 'iko', the less reason there is to pronounce the title in line with some imagined Japanese standard.

EDIT: wait I see why you picked that out, because I said they 'changed the title of the game'. Replace that statement with 'change the name of the character', from which the game gets its name. It's the same argument.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#32 gamer_152  Moderator

"Eye-co". I blame all those American video game podcasts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet all these "eye-co" motherfuckers pronounce Mario as "may-rio" too, don't you? DON'T YOU!?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Both.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By probablytuna

I always pronounced it as "e-co".

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phrosnite

eye-ko

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Hunter5024

Eye-Ko. I ain't changing for you Giantbomb.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PillClinton

Gif

goddamnit not this again

IT'S PRONOUNCED, "GIF!"

Also, eye-co.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chalk-a-boo

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

With a soft g.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.