Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ICO

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 24, 2001

The story of a forsaken boy with horns and a mysterious girl who must work together to escape from the confines of an enormous castle.

Still holding up?

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By matthew

So I went into the local game store here in lil ol town, when I come across this beauty.  I have the 60gb version of the PS3, so I always take a look in the PS2 section, because I hear there are a couple good games on the system.  Even though this was used, the container was in impeccable condition, so I went to the counter, they put the game in, and the disc is just as good as the container.

When it comes down to it, I've never played this game.  I played Shadow of the Collosus, thought it was outstanding, as many of you do.  Will this game hold up?  I know the graphics are going to not quite be there, since it is an early PS2 game, but I'm talking about the gameplay, style, etc.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

I never played it.. But considering the way that just about every gaming critic raves about it, it will definitely hold up.

And aside from graphics, the great games always hold up in terms of gameplay.  I just picked up Indiana Jones and The fate of Atlantis and it was released over a decade ago.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lebkin

It holds up spectacularly.  I just recently played through it again myself.  Even the graphics are not that bad, simply because of the stylized nature of the game.  Definitely worth a play through if you enjoyed SotC.

xabhie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By xabhie

I really need to play this game.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I just beaten it a few hours ago and yes the gameplay does hold up by todays standards. If you like puzzle solving platformer games then you will definately like this game and Team ICO know how to create an atmospheric game by using just the simplest of ambient sound effects aswell as an artistic use of bloom lighting to create one of the best looking games for the ps2. I clocked in at around 7 hours and 44 minutes but only because some puzzles had me stumped. Combat isn't the strongest point, it's competent enough and it pretty much boils down to a sought of capture the flag where the shadow monsters grab Yorda (the girl) and drag her back to their spawn point and you only have little time to pull her out of the darkness before game over. Anybody who played SotC and liked it really needs to play this game.
    SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SpartyOn
    @Matthew: How much was it?   I know at the game store I work at a used copy of Ico runs somewhere in the high $30 range.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vidiot

You should be aware that there is talk all over the internet for the impending HD re-release of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I bring this up because Ico had special features stripped from it's American release, that I predict are going to be reinserted with this re-release. (TWO PLAYER MODE)

Does it hold up? Yes. Spectacularly. 
    Let's put it this way: You think that Shadow of the Colossus was "outstanding", which I too agree. I consider Ico to be the superior game between the two. It's more coherent and emotionally engaging, an absolute must play for anyone with the faintest appreciation for Shadow of the Colossus. 

Combat is not it's strongest suit, although I don't expect a kid to bust out any Devil May Cry combination's here. AI path-finding for the princess Yorda ranges from brilliant to "OH MY GAWD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!" 

By all means: pick it up.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I begun playing it on my PS2 about a year ago but never got around to completing it. I'll probably pick up the SOTC/ICO remastered PS3 version if it ever comes out and play through both of those games again. The game still looks good as it is but it would be even more enjoyable to play an HD upscaled version.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By tebbit
    @gunslingerNZ said:
    " I begun playing it on my PS2 about a year ago but never got around to completing it. I'll probably pick up the SOTC/ICO remastered PS3 version if it ever comes out and play through both of those games again. The game still looks good as it is but it would be even more enjoyable to play an HD upscaled version. "
    And hey, Maybe SoTC will actually run well this time!
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

The frame rate got a little choppy at times but the game was still very playable. I agree though with a smooth frame rate the game would have been amazing.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By matthew

So that was a year ago, and I've since played it twice.  Yes, to answer my own question, it does hold up.  Obviously, you're not going to be getting the smoothest animations, the best combat, the smartest AI.  But those are things that shouldn't - and don't - take away from the game really whatsoever.  The atmosphere these Team ICO guys are able to pull out of their hat at their whim goes beyond impressive.   

Kudos to one of the best games of the previous generation, and consider that Ico/Shadow of the Colossus bought on day 1 if they do decide to come up with that here. 

@davissc9: I want to say I paid less than 20$ for it...I think it was 17 or 18, which is an absolute steal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.