Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Impulse

Concept »

Impulse was Stardock's digital distribution platform. Impulse allowed gamers to quickly find their favorite software and download it automatically to their computer.

Can anyone vouch for Stardock's "Impulse" service?

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lamashtu

I'm thinking about finally picking up Sins of a Solar Empire as part of the Trinity package (and maybe Demigod while I'm at it) through Stardock's "Impulse" service. I've bought plenty of games through Steam, but I'm unsure if I want to bog down my computer with another game distribution program on my taskbar.

I'm also wondering if there's an offline mode (much as Steam does) as I've got a rather finicky internet connection in my dorm (though I'm confident I won't have nearly as much trouble with the online authentication as Ubi's DRM).

Thanks.    
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

I have Demigod on it...its fine.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

I use it for Demigod, its fine not a system hog like Steam from what I can tell.  and I believe it has offline mod as when i didn't have internet i could still play demigod.

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sexy_nipples

It is far easier to use than Steam. I still love Steam though. 

Impulse is great. You don't need it to be running if you want to play the games you bought from it unlike Steam. You can just put a shortcut on your desktop. You never need it on unless you want to download a game from Impulse.  

Oh btw, I have a code for Demigod that lets you buy it for $7.50. It might be expired, not sure, let me check. Also pick up The Witcher for $10 on Impulse and Gal Civ 2 Ultimate Edition. 

Sins of a Solar Empire is fantastic. 

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sexy_nipples

damn, that code expired uggggggggggh 

February 2010 lol. 

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Definitely get Sins. DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY.

Oh, but Impulse is kinda shit. It once merged my account with a friend's, leaving one profile with 2 copies of Sins. Made no sense.

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lamashtu
    @sexy_nipples:
    @Jeffsekai:

Thanks. I had assumed that Impulse worked like Steam and I'm relieved that it's not the case. Now if only my PC could hurry up and get back from RMA...
    sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sexy_nipples

There are some games that you can trade in as well which is awesome. As long as they have the GOO protection system.  

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM
    @sexy_nipples said:
    " It is far easier to use than Steam. I still love Steam though.  Impulse is great. You don't need it to be running if you want to play the games you bought from it unlike Steam. You can just put a shortcut on your desktop. You never need it on unless you want to download a game from Impulse.   Oh btw, I have a code for Demigod that lets you buy it for $7.50. It might be expired, not sure, let me check. Also pick up The Witcher for $10 on Impulse and Gal Civ 2 Ultimate Edition.  Sins of a Solar Empire is fantastic.  "
    Does it have a friends list?  and can you redownload a game without paying for it again?  I was surprised that with iTunes if you delete a song or movie they charge you again for it, whereas with Steam the games you buy are forever yours.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @sexy_nipples said:
    " It is far easier to use than Steam. I still love Steam though.  Impulse is great. You don't need it to be running if you want to play the games you bought from it unlike Steam. You can just put a shortcut on your desktop. You never need it on unless you want to download a game from Impulse.   Oh btw, I have a code for Demigod that lets you buy it for $7.50. It might be expired, not sure, let me check. Also pick up The Witcher for $10 on Impulse and Gal Civ 2 Ultimate Edition.  Sins of a Solar Empire is fantastic.  "
    Does it have a friends list?  and can you redownload a game without paying for it again?  I was surprised that with iTunes if you delete a song or movie they charge you again for it, whereas with Steam the games you buy are forever yours. "
    There's no friends list, well, not yet. I think they might start something up. You can re-download your games too. I've done it so many times with Sins. Impulse is exactly like Steam. The only difference is that with Stardock games, if you want a boxed copy, you just pay an extra $5 they'll ship it to you, and you still get the download. Another thing also, I suggest you check on eBay for Demigod. I picked it up on there for $10. Brand new.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

I hate RTS's, and I fucking LOVE Sins of a Solar Empire.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Impulse is alright for what it does, I guess. I also heartily recommend Galactic Civilizations 2. It's basically Civ, but in space and somewhat less boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.