Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

Share Your impressions for Infamous:Second Son.

• 119 results
    Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Overall I enjoyed it, but I was not expecting it to end when it did. As someone above mentioned it felt like it skipped the 2nd act and went straight to act 3.

Graphically it is very pretty and the facial animation is some of the best I've seen. However, parts of it felt unusually sterile which I mainly put down to repetitive and unimaginative side missions and a weirdly quiet city. When the end credits rolled and I saw the amount of licensed songs I was shocked as I genuinely can't recall any playing except during the credits themselves! I actually enjoyed the spray paint mechanic. It seemed incredibly stupid the first time, but there was just something inherently satisfying about shaking that controller and hearing the rattle.

The most important question is whether it was fun or not, and the answer is an undoubted yes. For me it was the videogame equivalent of a good Saturday night action film. It isn't going to win any awards, it's dumb as hell but you come away having throughly enjoyed your time with it. I suppose the biggest criticism I have is that it isn't as fun as SRIV and many times during the game I found myself wishing I was playing a next-gen version of that instead.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I won't say the specifics for spoilers sake, but that last cinematic before the credits rolled (when you're going down the evil path) was amazing. There is little doubt: You are the ultimate asshole.

As for the game itself I just felt weak all the time. Having to evade that often, when the game doesn't exactly handle free-running very well, is a chore to say the least.

Possibly Spoilers:

- Both powers after neon are worthless. Actually even Smoke isn't that good come to think of it. Neon lets you run over obstacles, wall run, fire more precise shots and generally just move more efficiently. I know it's really a matter of personal preference, but having to deal with the game's shoddy climbing mechanic made me avoid every power besides Neon like it was the plague.

- Why can you not skip cutscenes? Why I ask you? Maybe on the first time through I'll let it slide since it's supposed to be all new for you, but the second time? In a game that blatantly tells you to play it again? Pain in the ass. The only reason I can think of is because it is loading in the background. Still though - BS.

- I had hoped, for one glorious moment, that I could make it through a day without hearing a Nirvana song (It's played during the end credits). Sure it's a cover and, yes, the game takes place in Seattle, but damn man I hear that shit enough as it is. Some day, some day...

- That Karma system? Still dumb. Is a company ever going to get this mechanic right? Meaning, shades of grey not just black or white? I hope so; it is a good idea dammit!

Yeah...those were mostly complaints. I did like the game despite my problems listed there. Guess I just expected more after the hype train came roaring through.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By GunstarRed

@rcola: Neon + Super move = 90-100% of base cleared.

The first couple of DUP command bases I tried to clear were a real pain, so I came back a little while later once I had the karma bomb. About a third of those bases or the district clear missions would just end after one tap of the button. The Neon one is especially devastating because you don't need to be out in the open like the smoke. The blasts even go through the scenery killing pretty much all in close proximity to you.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought it was pretty good. I kind of wish they spent more time developing some of the characters other than "okay you're good/evil now bye", and I think Augustine was a boring villain but overall I enjoyed it.

R.I.P. Reggie AKA Best Character :(

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I probably missed something, but can anyone explain what happens after beating that first concrete boss on the bridge? You get covered in concrete, and then what happens? Does a helicopter pick you up? Why is Augustine pissed about it?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I probably missed something, but can anyone explain what happens after beating that first concrete boss on the bridge? You get covered in concrete, and then what happens? Does a helicopter pick you up? Why is Augustine pissed about it?

Depending on how far you are the answer may spoil what's right around the corner, but the third conduit on the loose can summon angels and demons from his favorite video game into the real world, and is using them to snatch loose conduits before Augustine gets to them. I don't remember exactly why though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By csl316

Out of curiosity, I got the third power and acquired all its abilities.

It feels like I'm nearing the end, but it seems like it's still too early. How much do I have left in the mainline? Percentages could work, I suppose.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@csl316: You're very, very close to the end.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dallas_raines: Welp, that's what I get for skipping most of the side stuff.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#110  Edited By Seppli

Finally managed to wean myself off Dark Souls 2. First off, the facial animations and particle effects are really awesome - like real next gen stuff. In my first session I played up to getting the Neon power. I had a lot of fun doing so.

However, I still feel like the guys at Sucker Punch don't make the player powerful enough, especially mobility-wise. I want to jump higher, and farther. Double or even triple jump. Run faster longer. And so forth. It has all these powers, and all of them are quite awesome to use - just not awesome enough. Also running out of *power juice* sucks, and it serves no real purpose other than breaking the flow of the game. It always has, and always will. It should just regenerate on its own. Infamous should feel like a Tony Hawk's game, just playing with a superhuman body, rather than a skateboard. Like I should be able to combo my powers forever - with ease, and action-flick style.

Long story short, I feel like the Infamous franchise would be much more fun, if it would wholeheartly embrace the power fantasy it is. I haven't played Prototype or Saints Row IV yet, but from what I've seen of those, that level of power fantasy fulfilment would be more my speed. Just amp it up already!

Oh - and the camera is a little off. Too slow to turn, too slow acceleration. Too much of a deadzone probably too. Dunno man. Servicable, but definitely sub-optimal.

P.S. Why don't these types of open world games give the protagonist a virutal Ipod, so I can listen to some licensed music when I'm on foot? Open world games lose so much appeal without music. Hell - even Assassin's Creed finally got it right with its sea shanties. It's simply a must-have.

P.P.S. Even games with car radios should have virtual Ipods. GTA V for example would be even more rad, if I could listen to some tunes whilst doing the pedestrian thing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I wanted to add. I love holding the Dualshock 4 like a spray can.

Not that the minigame is especially awesome, but anything that uses the gyro is a great thing in my eyes. That thing has so much potential. It's almost mouselike precise and quick. Hopefully that'll translate in awesome UIs for RPGs and whatnot.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well I just beat it.

I, uh, don't really know what to say. Like, I kinda liked it, but I dunno. It was just really unsatisfying and never really gave me a chance to settle in and get used to the world and characters before it ended. The story just moves way too quickly and not a whole lot actually happens. I mean, I guess since it lacks a 3 in the title, I kinda should have expected that. Like I said in my previous post, it feels very " let's just throw together a PS4 game " -ish. I mean, it's still very early in the PS4's lifespan so that's to be expected, but....Still.

I'm probably gonna go ahead and do an evil playthrough now just so I can see if I can manage to get my first ever platinum trophy since this one seems really easy to get.

At the very least, it makes me incredibly curious as to what the next Infamous game will be like. Ohyeah, it looks realllllly good too. (Neon turned out to be my favorite power by the way. The rest just don't seem nearly as good).

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last night I beat the game for a second time, first on a good play through and now on an evil play through with expert difficultly. Apart from the Paper Trail missions which I've started I've nothing left to do in the game expect mess about with the DUP raids. And that's a bit of a shame. I doubt I'll go back and play it a third time around and apart from clearing out some raids now and again there is nothing left in the semi-open world of Seattle for me to do. The paper trail missions are fun but they only take maybe 30 minutes each to figure out so I'll probably just wait until all the parts are out and blast through them at the same time.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I finished my first playthrough here are my thoughts.

1. Better powers, much better powers.

2. Delsin is more likeable than Cole

3. Seattle was Ok. I like New Marias better.

4. Seconds Sons had the weakest story out of the three.

All in all I liked all 3. Each has their strong & weak points.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By miko1222

Best PS4 exclusive as of far.

I don't think it was only the graphics that made the game shine, but the motion capture, movement and environments. You could see Delsin's denim vest bounce around as he ran through the city of Seattle. The details on Delsin's beanie were visible, in cutscenes and in gameplay, they were impressive.

The game wasn't stuffed. They had the right amount of characters in there - Delsin, Reggie, Fetch, Eugene and Augustine. They all fit into the story and played their roles. Games like the Assassin's Creed Series - That's my favourite series - has tons of characters in one game, but Infamous didn't suffer from that.

The gameplay was great. I enjoyed utilising the different powers - Smoke, Neon, Video, Concrete - and so it didn't feel as dull as previous Infamous games. The story and characters were interesting too. 8.7/10, I loved it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

As a Seattlite, playing Second Son is...weird. The Seattle in the game is recognizably Seattle in terms of landmarks like the Space Needle, sure, and the architectural style I've seen is very true to the city, but there's just something weird about the way it's laid out in the game, and it's missing some districts that feel like huge omissions. The International District and stadiums in particular are missing from the southeast downtown area, which inexplicably stops at Pioneer Square (and how Belltown is north of Pioneer Square, I have no idea (to say nothing of the way that Georgetown is positioned). The whole downtown area feels like it's missing some vital bits and pieces, and some of the things that I do recognize aren't exactly where they should be. I can't imagine what it's going to look like when I unlock the rest of the map.

Also, the 520 Bridge sequence is pretty hilarious. Why on Earth would destroying the bridge magically isolate Seattle? It's not even the only connection to the east side. And how Delsin ends up in Queen Anne immediately upon leaving the bridge is baffling considering that the first exit off of the bridge leads into Montlake near the U-District.

I know, I know. Video games. And it's not a terrible representation of Seattle. But I can't help but nitpick all of the weird ways that this Seattle doesn't match up to the real thing.

KingSolomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just beat infamous and sort of feel disappointed, there is barely anything to do once you beat the main story line. Wish i did not do all the side quest right away and the last power you get is worthless, not because it is not awesome but because you don't ever get the a real opportunity to use it...

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Also being from Seattle, yeah, the Seattle in this game looks nothing like Seattle in real life.

It's weird how much detail they decided to give the landmarks in this game. Hell, even the signs on I-5 are identical to the ones in real life. It's just weird that they gave the game that much detail, then decided to lay it out in a way that made it completely unrecognizable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.