Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

Welcoming myself to the next-gen, with a little help from a friend

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By N7

I haven't written anything in just about a month and a half. Pretty weird for me because I was pumping out some stuff before. That's just it though, I only write when I have something to say. And I had a lot to say. But in the past month, I've experienced a lot. My shitty TV got a dead pixel and I had to rent another one. I played Deus Ex and was gonna do a big ol' thing about it, but eh whatever it's a pretty good game and it's as simple as that.

It was love at first sight... whether she knew it or not.
    It was love at first sight... whether she knew it or not.

But then... something happened. I got a PS4. But not on my own volition, it was a gift. A gift from someone I have never met and will probably never meet. A good friend of mine. @yummylee. You may know him as the guy who's face is always on the front page of the forums since he's currently the only user with the highest post count to not be banned. And also, I hope you come to learn of his large, charitable heart.

That's right. If it sounds crazy, it probably is. He took a chance on my poor ass and it's probably never going to pay off really, because now he's got to deal with me on the PS4 as well.

Sometimes I wonder who I was in a past life to have earned such good friends. Friends who were seemingly always willing to help out. They're always there for me, and one day when I'm a world renown blogger/writer/podcaster/videogamedesigner/philanthropist, maybe I can return the favor. But alas, the only thing I can give right now is my thanks. Thanks to @yummylee for affording me the opportunity to play games from the next generation.

And then came the games.

First up was a bunch of downloadable games I had from PS+. I'm told games like Don't Starve and Binding Of Issac are fun but I didn't really get much out of them. Maybe I didn't play them enough, but they didn't really reach out and grab me. Then I played some Transistor and that game was pretty cool. I should probably finish it but right now I've got no desire to play it. That happens to me sometimes. I'll like a game and then not want to ever play it again.

Then the discs started coming. The full games were on the way.

First up: inFamous: Second Son.

Found Dan Ryckert and his 3,000 clones immediately
    Found Dan Ryckert and his 3,000 clones immediately

Second Son was okay. I was pretty indifferent about it. I'm really into the inFamous series and inFamous 2 is probably one of my favorite PS3 games of all time, up there with games like MGS4 and The Last of Us. But Second Son was just... a game. It didn't even feel like a sequel. There wasn't a single mention of Cole, and when Zeke shows up, he does so in a DLC that we in North America can't buy because for some weird reason, it's only available on the European PSN.

The game starts and you are Delsin Rowe. You're the "punk". You tag buildings with spraypaint and hate authority. You like to jokingly quip at everything under the goddamn sun and "stick it to the man". How convenient for you that "the man" needs a sticking.

The story is, 7 years ago, shit went real bad. Conduits were using their powers for all kinds of bad stuff and were close to taking over the world or something, I don't know. I thought the story was kind of dumb. I liked inFamous when it was about superheroes and supervillains punching each other and jumping all over roofs. Now Second Son comes out and has to "send a message" because Nate Fox got "randomly selected" at an airport 20 years ago or something.

Personally I didn't like the character of Delsin.When Troy Baker fails to make a character likable then you know you've fucked up somewhere. It's his inability to take anything seriously and always brush things off like it doesn't matter. I couldn't tell if this guy was supposed to be in his 20's or somewhere in his teenage years.

Delsin's smouldering with anger
    Delsin's smouldering with anger

I also didn't like going to Seattle. Empire City and New Marais were so interesting, even if they weren't particularly noteworthy, because they were new. They may have been your typical Fictional Cities, but they were new and different. Going to Seattle takes all of that out because you'd pass by some fountain and think "Huh, guess that's a landmark or something".

By going to a real location, they take some of that mystery of their universe away. The chances of seeing a statue of Cole or something is gone because you're in real place and they wouldn't have that, would they? They'd have a statue of some real guy who did some real thing. I don't know, maybe it's not a big deal, but with the complete lack of connection to the rest of the inFamous universe, pretty much every decision made by Second Son put me off in a big way.

But then you get to the gameplay. The gameplay wasn't bad, it just wasn't noteworthy. You've got games like inFamous 1 and 2 where you have powers that do something other than endlessly shooting at people with your power powers. For example, you could bring up an electric shield to protect yourself from gunfire in the other games. In Second Son, all powers are action a gogo, baby. And worse yet, they are just reskins of each other.

It's also worth mentioning that unlike Cole, who could use Electricity and Ice(Or the other one, fire or something) powers at the same time, Delsin has to manually switch powers from the source. If you want to use smoke, you have to find smoke somewhere and absorb it, if you want neon, you have to find a neon sign and absorb it, etc, etc. They could have taken away the endlessly repetitive reskinned powers and crammed them into one single tree and the value of the gameplay would have been increased exponentially. You could have things like the Television hover, the Neon sprint, the smoke... nothing, because that one sucks. They could have done what they did in inFamous 2 and give you another type of ability instead of an entirely different tree that spirals out and does all kinds of different stuff. They went for quantity over quality and it really hurt more than it helped.

The only real differences in powers are the navigational stuff. Neon lets you sprint around anything and everything at a very fast pace. You can climb up and down things like it's nothing. Neon let's you get around fast. Television's version of the Glide move can be upgraded into a hover, so you can hang in the air and pick your shots against enemies easier. It also has a very fast burst of speed that allows you to get about half-way up most buildings, but it almost seems pointless because why would I want to get halfway up a building and climb the rest of the way when I can just use Neon and get to the top in a fraction of the time, or the effort?

The navigational stuff was different at least, even if Neon was always the way to go. But when it comes to the actual powers themselves, as above, they are just reskins. L2 and Triangle will shoot some kind of missile, L1 will throw a grenade of some kind, and square will always melee.

The game didn't feel rushed, even if it was short, the world was empty and all of the powers aside from Neon were boring and lifeless, it was at least somewhat polished(And don't forget how beautiful the lighting and particle effects are in this game), it was just... okay.

Neon, for when all other powers are boring and stupid
    Neon, for when all other powers are boring and stupid

Then there's the smoke powers but they are boring and generic. You can't get around as fast and have to rely on manually climbing up buildings like in the other inFamous games, but unlike the other inFamous games, the climbing in Second Son is so unbelievably unreliable that using smoke was always too much trouble for me to use. Whenever I had the chance, I would switch back to Neon powers. I would never use Television or Smoke. They felt so underutilized that it was like I was being punished for using them.

And then there's the enemies. inFamous had all kinds of variable enemy types. In the first inFamous, you have different kinds of gangs with different looks and styles. When you got to inFamous 2 you had giant enemies and super powered ice soldiers attacking you from every which way. Second Son has lame-as-all-fuck Russian Mob and D.U.P. soldiers who use a form of concrete. They mostly all look the same and they are all boring to fight. No one ever switches it up and it's usually the same fight every time. You shoot until you are almost dead and then you run away until your healing powers kick in and you shoot some more. There's practically no variety. Nothing in this game stands out. It's a one note game and that note isn't worth anything.

But hey, at least photo-mode is a ton of fun, eh?
    But hey, at least photo-mode is a ton of fun, eh?

So how ironic is it that photo-mode, some random little thing is more fun to play with than the game itself? Again, I didn't hate Second Son, it was just so disappointing. After the bombshell ending that inFamous 2 got, you'd figure the sequel would be all kinds of crazy. But nope, you get barely a single mention of the other game to the point that this thing might as well be the gritty reboot, even if it's not remotely gritty.

Like, really really fun... It's so purdy
    Like, really really fun... It's so purdy

Second up: The Last of Us: Remastered

This is the
    This is the "in cover hiding from enemies" face, apparently...

I'll actually start this off by saying that it's ironic that I liked photo-mode more than the game itself in Second Son, because so far the photo-mode in TLOU: RE is pretty lame. You have a lot of the same options as in Second Son, but the camera is locked on Joel's character model in some weird way. You could turn the camera away from Delsin at any point to set up a nice shot, but it's locked to Joel so you'll either need to hide your model or figure out a way around it.

It also doesn't help that Joel constantly makes those stupid fucking faces making it entirely impossible to take any nice shots. The filters themselves also aren't up to snuff with the Second Son filters. Second Son's filters seems to change the lighting and colors, but for some reason the filters in TLOU seems to only change the colors. It's hard to explain and I'm also not entirely sure of the exact processes of filters, so I'll just say the ones in Second Son looked way better.

Honestly, I had a bunch of stuff written up about the game already, but I've put a lot more time into the PS4 version(I just got to the horses) and everything has changed. So I deleted it. And I'll tell you why.

You can tell it's art because it has a filter on it!
    You can tell it's art because it has a filter on it!

It seems so much easier. I'm playing on Grounded mode because TLOU and Remastered do not share a trophy list, so I want another easy Platinum, and also because I hate myself. But imagine my surprise when I run into scenarios that gave me a ton of trouble before were actually so easy I were able to beat them on the first playthrough.

It's insane and I honestly don't believe it, but it feels like they made it easier. I mean sure, a lot of the early game problem spots still exist, like the school in Bill's Town. That whole thing sucked. But then the Bloater boss battle was a lot easier, for whatever reason. Maybe I just had better accuracy or maybe I got lucky, but I pretty much walked right through that boss, even though he had given me tons of trouble on the PS3.

And then there's the clicker tunnel when you're separated from Ellie and Henry and all you have is Sam with you. I beat this in one go. It was... an accident to say the least. Someone may remember from my other blogs about The Last of Us's Grounded mode, I point out how the companions get in your way so much that it becomes a big problem because of the difficulty. Well, that happened again, and actually made me look like an idiot in the process, and also making the hardest part of the game so easy I felt like I was going insane.

Thanks to the power of the next generation, I have a video to back it up! (Heads up, in this video I sound like a know-it-all because TLOU: Remastered had a few tricks up its sleeves. And boy, it got me good)

During this video my mind was processing so much and not knowing what to do with it. The single most difficult spot in the entire game, and I just walked right through it... because Sam took my place and I got caught by infected?

The levels of what just happened in the video are insane. By getting caught, I pulled away all of the infected from the ladder area so that I could just run up and go. But by sneaking, they would all be there as usual. Sam got in the way, and in doing so created an opening that I ended up using to get through. One that I never saw before. One that made me feel like a big ol' idiot.

And that's crazy. Because as many times as I beat The Last of Us on the PS3, nothing like that ever happened. The infected would rain down on me like an infected bombing run. But on the PS4... they kind of relented a little. I don't know if I got lucky(Doubt it because I never, NEVER got lucky on the PS3), or if they actually did some kind of... fixes, or something, but The Last of Us Remastered is definitely leading way to new experiences that I would have never imagined.

So many hours have already been shaved off of my playtime because I'm able to walk through really tough areas and it leaves me feeling weird. I know this has never happened before, and so it all seems so bizarre. Maybe I'm making a big deal about it, but it's absolutely not just "Old hat TLOU". There's something new going on under the hood. Whatever it is.

Where the fuck do you even find hardhats 20 years into the apocalypse!?
    Where the fuck do you even find hardhats 20 years into the apocalypse!?

One thing I'd like to talk about before I wrap this massive blog up, is that TLOU: RE is actually... kind of buggy. Also what's up with me and these ellipses all of a sudden? Did I forget italics for some reason? Have I not written a blog in that long?

Anyway yeah. The game has kind of bugged out on me quite a few times in my first ever PS4 playthrough. At one part, in the library area of Pittsburgh, right before you get to the hotel all of the guards got stuck in place. It's like they were alerted for a short amount of time and then were frozen in place or something. They wouldn't move on their own unless I made a noise or something. And when it came time for Ellie to pull out her jokebook for the first time, she simply pulled it out, asked me if I wanted to hear a joke, and then immediately put it away before I could react. I don't know what's up with that, and I know these things never happened to me on the PS3, but it's certainly weird to see bugs all of a sudden. I mean personally I found it weird that the game still has just as much pop-in as it did on the PS3, but the bugs are just so weird.

IN CLOSING...

Photo-mode is a great feature and I'd like to see more games use it. It gives people like me just another cool thing to do. Some people might not like it because it can be pointless, but I think it adds a lot to the game. inFamous: Second Son has a ton of opportunities to set up a great shot and a lot of options to make sure it comes out looking great. It doesn't hurt that the game itself looks great.

Other than that, my first exposure to the next-generation has been okay, I suppose. I didn't quite get the same level of a reaction as I did with the last generation. Mostly because I had games like Motorstorm showing me how incredible games could look. Or the hype of MGS4 to keep that hype-fire in my heart burning strong.

Though to be fair, one game is just a better looking PS3 game and the other is a lame attempt at a late PS4 launch title. So once I start getting heavy hitters like Shadow of Mordor coming in, I can get more of a feel for it. I am happy to get a chance to experience it though. I guess that's what it's like to have great friends!

Even Torsi the Torso Horse wanted in on the photo-mode action!
    Even Torsi the Torso Horse wanted in on the photo-mode action!
    And the last one... Little brother Tommy! Woohoo!
    And the last one... Little brother Tommy! Woohoo!

Also I have a blog or something so come yell at me. I don't feature ads or anything weird like that. I'd feel scummy for posting them here but I honestly wouldn't do it unless I wanted to share my words that kill. So why not do it in the least douchiest way possible by actually interacting with the community? A win win for us all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm one of those crazy people that things Second Son is probably a better game than Last of Us. I enjoyed playing it immensely and actually platinumed the thing, which is something I never really do. Last of Us obviously has a vastly superior story that really stands tall, but the gameplay itself always felt really rigid and not extremely satisfying - to me anyway. If you take the effort to make your combat realistic then don't do it only one way. Enemies that have unlimited ammo and then never drop any of their own breaks the immersion and feels contrived to make everything harder because you didn't build the combat out enough to account for multiple approaches. You are always funneled into shoddy stealth, often time with enemies that will one hit kill you on detection.

Gotta say, to this day I thought Second Son was the perfect PS4 launch game that showed that system off extremely well while providing a fun game that didn't drag on too long along the way.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've always felt like I couldn't get into the infamous games because they all feel so lifeless. The cities feel completely void of life, there is barely even any background noise.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I'm one of those crazy people that things Second Son is probably a better game than Last of Us. I enjoyed playing it immensely and actually platinumed the thing, which is something I never really do. Last of Us obviously has a vastly superior story that really stands tall, but the gameplay itself always felt really rigid and not extremely satisfying - to me anyway. If you take the effort to make your combat realistic then don't do it only one way. Enemies that have unlimited ammo and then never drop any of their own breaks the immersion and feels contrived to make everything harder because you didn't build the combat out enough to account for multiple approaches. You are always funneled into shoddy stealth, often time with enemies that will one hit kill you on detection.

Gotta say, to this day I thought Second Son was the perfect PS4 launch game that showed that system off extremely well while providing a fun game that didn't drag on too long along the way.

With the comparison of the two, I find inFamous to be less fun than The Last of Us because with TLOU, you know what you're getting. With inFamous, I felt stunted because all of the powers were the same, with the exception of Neon being the coolest looking and the most fun to use. There was a startling lack of variety in Second Son and it put a bad taste in my mouth. In the end I'm still waiting for the sequel to inFamous 2 that now, I don't know if I'll get.

Like I said a bunch above though, I don't think Second Son is bad. It's just okay. Not in the same universe of inFamous 2, a game I played to the point of insanity... even going as far as beating it twice in one day just to get the Platinum. Second Son, ehhh, I just didn't have the desire to play it again.

@krullban said:

I've always felt like I couldn't get into the infamous games because they all feel so lifeless. The cities feel completely void of life, there is barely even any background noise.

That's one thing I don't understand. By now, it has to be an artistic choice right? With inFamous 2 there was a lot of complaints because of how empty the world was. There was hardly any sound.

It's funny because with inFamous 2 they put all this stock into the soundtrack to make sure the music was authentic and how they'd actually get street musicians to make the music sound like something you'd hear them do. Then you get there and it's a big sound vacuum.

And yet Second Son has that exact same thing. Except now it's not as soundless because you hear people going "WOOHOO WAY TO GO DESLIN" all the time.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us is a far better story, Second Son is a much better game. Second Son's plot isn't bad though, and has some great acting/facial capture. However, I don't like playing The Last of Us, and I think it has abhorrent pacing, just like the Uncharted games. Naughty Dog seriously needs to learn when to let sequences just freakin' end and move on to the next story beat or set piece.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

The Last of Us is a far better story, Second Son is a much better game. Second Son's plot isn't bad though, and has some great acting/facial capture. However, I don't like playing The Last of Us, and I think it has abhorrent pacing, just like the Uncharted games. Naughty Dog seriously needs to learn when to let sequences just freakin' end and move on to the next story beat or set piece.

I don't think any of the mouth stuff was very well mocapped but the eyebrows in Second Son were insane. It was like I was looking right at Troy Baker during some cutscenes... or was it that he was looking at me?

It's a beautiful game, don't get me wrong. I would go into photo-mode and just stare at the incredible lighting.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quarters

@n7 said:

@quarters said:

I don't think any of the mouth stuff was very well mocapped but the eyebrows in Second Son were insane. It was like I was looking right at Troy Baker during some cutscenes... or was it that he was looking at me?

It's a beautiful game, don't get me wrong. I would go into photo-mode and just stare at the incredible lighting.

Hm, to each their own. I definitely don't think it's the best mo-cap around, but I thought it was at least in the higher tier. Never noticed the eyebrows...been a bit since I've played it. I'll have to look for that next time I do. Yeah, it's a real pretty game. However, I do agree that it isn't the best of the series. inFamous 2 is better, but I think for a first PS4 outing, Second Son gets the job done.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this PlayStation 4 as a gift on my daughter's wedding day.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

You're so good at next gen wall climbing.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Actually, Second Son takes place after the good ending of Infamous 2 which doesn't have tons of conduits destroying everything. Just has Cole kill most of them and you know the rest. All the DUP stuff is because the world found out about Cole and that there were others like him.

But anyways, welcome to the current generation! Where most games aren't super amazing but just good enough! I liked Second Son. Not as much as the first 2 Infamous games but I still had fun. I also wish they would have kept the same style as Infamous 2. The characters looked human enough but had a bit of a cartoony look to them. It looked great. Kind of disappointed that they went full on realistic looking but eh. I can't wait for more Infamous. I'm a sucker (no pun intended) for anything Infamous.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By N7

Actually, Second Son takes place after the good ending of Infamous 2 which doesn't have tons of conduits destroying everything. Just has Cole kill most of them and you know the rest. All the DUP stuff is because the world found out about Cole and that there were others like him.

But anyways, welcome to the current generation! Where most games aren't super amazing but just good enough! I liked Second Son. Not as much as the first 2 Infamous games but I still had fun. I also wish they would have kept the same style as Infamous 2. The characters looked human enough but had a bit of a cartoony look to them. It looked great. Kind of disappointed that they went full on realistic looking but eh. I can't wait for more Infamous. I'm a sucker (no pun intended) for anything Infamous.

Well see, that's the thing that confused me. They talk about how seven years ago(inFamous 2), the conduits went crazy and started fucking everything up. And that sounded sort of like the bad ending to inFamous 2 to me.

It sounded like they wanted to do something like merge both endings so that ultimately we have the good ending where Cole did what he did, but also the conduits decided to go crazy and start destroying things. It's not entirely clear, but it really didn't need to be since they didn't even talk much about the other games, or even just inFamous 2 really.\

Also, thanks! Super glad to be here finally. It's pretty great playing all of the games I wanted to play. All I need now is to see what Shadow of Mordor is all about.

@yummylee said:

Someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this PlayStation 4 as a gift on my daughter's wedding day.

Well I didn't know you had a daughter but I'll still totally accept the PS4. Thanks again pal!

Loading Video...

You're so good at next gen wall climbing.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't played Second Son, but I have played First Light (thanks, PS+) and really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, I was hugely unimpressed by Infamous 2. Just didn't care for it at all. I can't even say what made the difference for me. I liked Fetch more than Cole (quite a bit more Fetching as well, AMIRITE FELLAS), but surely that couldn't have been the tipping point... the gameplay is still pretty much the same, so that can't be it... I don't know. Maybe First Light just happened to click for me, and if I go back to Infamous 2 I'll end up enjoying it this time.

I do want to give Second Son a wiggle, but I'm playing through two separate open world games at the moment (Mordor and Saints Row 4), with the rest of AssCreed4 waiting in the wings, so the last thing I need right now is yet another one.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

I haven't played Second Son, but I have played First Light (thanks, PS+) and really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, I was hugely unimpressed by Infamous 2. Just didn't care for it at all. I can't even say what made the difference for me. I liked Fetch more than Cole (quite a bit more Fetching as well, AMIRITE FELLAS), but surely that couldn't have been the tipping point... the gameplay is still pretty much the same, so that can't be it... I don't know. Maybe First Light just happened to click for me, and if I go back to Infamous 2 I'll end up enjoying it this time.

I do want to give Second Son a wiggle, but I'm playing through two separate open world games at the moment (Mordor and Saints Row 4), with the rest of AssCreed4 waiting in the wings, so the last thing I need right now is yet another one.

The interesting thing about First Light is that it gives you more of an expansive look at the Neon powers. Delsin's Neon powers are great and definitely the best power available for him but Fetch can do so much more with it. Like run through fences or superboost all over the place. Not to mention her regular attack isn't super dang ol' slow like Delsin's.

I liked Cole, but I can see why so many didn't. He pretty much complains all the time about how his powers are bad and he doesn't want them etc, etc. Whereas in First Light and Second Son you've got people who are really into the powers and embrace them fully. They don't mope around and cry about how hard life is. Except that time where they do that. But anywho.

I found it ironic that I actually sort of like First Light more than Second Son aside from the bad missions and stupid characters(SERIOUSLY? THE MAFIA? More guys with guns? What happened to the gangs with fucking super powers!?). But I haven't played it much since then because I'm kind of inFamous'd out right now. I want Shadow of Mordor to hurry up and get here, but I'm scared I might start to feel fatigued by open world games. There's only so many collectibles before you break, man. Only so many...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7 said:

I want Shadow of Mordor to hurry up and get here, but I'm scared I might start to feel fatigued by open world games. There's only so many collectibles before you break, man. Only so many...

Not to scare you away from it, as Mordor is fucking fantastic, but it's some open world-ass open world. Distractions: The Game would be a good alternate title for it. I'm the type of person that saves side stuff for the end, but Mordor does a scarily good job at making you think "Welllll, I should just clear this area completely since I'm right here... and over there is a nemesis... oh hey, that plant I need! Oh, but wait, there's an artifact over there. Ooh, a crowd of orcs! Let's blow 'em up! I leveled? Well, now I have to play with my new power..." and suddenly it's 11 at night and you've accomplished nothing but getting a bunch of pretty pictures because photo modes are the best.

Like I said in the thread for The Order, I am so ready for a short linear game right about now.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

@n7 said:

I want Shadow of Mordor to hurry up and get here, but I'm scared I might start to feel fatigued by open world games. There's only so many collectibles before you break, man. Only so many...

Not to scare you away from it, as Mordor is fucking fantastic, but it's some open world-ass open world. Distractions: The Game would be a good alternate title for it. I'm the type of person that saves side stuff for the end, but Mordor does a scarily good job at making you think "Welllll, I should just clear this area completely since I'm right here... and over there is a nemesis... oh hey, that plant I need! Oh, but wait, there's an artifact over there. Ooh, a crowd of orcs! Let's blow 'em up! I leveled? Well, now I have to play with my new power..." and suddenly it's 11 at night and you've accomplished nothing but getting a bunch of pretty pictures because photo modes are the best.

Like I said in the thread for The Order, I am so ready for a short linear game right about now.

It... it sounds like my fantasy game. An honest-to-god great game that's also filled to the brim with shit to do!? Sign me up! Hell, look at Second Son! I got all of the shards before I really did anything. You put shit in front of me, I will collect that shit.

Honestly I think I may have a Troy Baker addiction more than anything. Last of Us Remastered, inFamous Second Son, Shadow of Mordor... I'm being suffocated in his sweet dulcet tones.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Ha! Yeah, I think you might enjoy it then. I can imagine that I'll still be into the nemesis system long after I've done literally everything else in the game. It never stops being satisfying to have this whole mini-history with a particularly bothersome orc.

As for Troy Baker, any man that can growl "Lick my asshole, asshole!" with the gravitas of a person who truly KNOWS the joys and sorrows of being an alligator in the USAF is a man who I would follow to the ends of the earth.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was ready to come in and poo on Second Son again because it's not as good as the previous ones. But you wrapped up the reasons why it's "ok" pretty effectively.

Stay aware from those ellipses, because it's a crutch that's just... I dunno, hard to let go of.

Oh, and Mordor! That game's great! I'm always afraid to jump into an open-world because it feels overwhelming and a waste of time. But Mordor's just fun, man. It's one of the best playing games I've ever played, which is why it was my second favorite game of last year behind Wolfenstein. There are a handful of side activities that drag on, but the controls feel great and pulling off the stealth and combat feels effortless.

I also wield the power of the PS4 share button, so let me direct you to a late game fight showing off the ease and pure joy that the mechanics can result in. I didn't think about any of this stuff, I just did it and loved it. (it's not much of a spoiler, I'm just fighting some tough guys, but maybe avoid the top left objective for 5 seconds)

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By awesomeusername

@n7: Hm, I didn't get much from Shadow of Mordor. I liked it because it had good combat and it looked great but I couldn't care less for the story and characters. The Nemesis System is a great thing but I never really got into it because I killed most of the orcs. Only time I ever died by their hand was when an Orc I would fight was literally immune to all types of attacks, resistant to fear and/or effects and had 20 other orcs in a crowd fighting me as well. So my deaths in the game were always just cheap deaths. I Remember seeing threads with people wondering why it was so hard but I breezed through the game. I'm not even that good in this genre of games so It was confusing. I don't know, Shadow of Mordor is good but I didn't see in it what everyone else did because I didn't die a lot which I suppose can only be seen as disappointing. I guess I only have myself to blame though, especially since whenever an Orc would run away from me to fight another day, I chased his ass down and cut his head off. I should've just let them run. Would've led to an interesting encounter when I found them again.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By N7

@shagge: If I had shame, which I don't, I would totally be ashamed to admit I still haven't seen that Troy Baker video yet. I know, I'm scum.

@csl316 said:

I was ready to come in and poo on Second Son again because it's not as good as the previous ones. But you wrapped up the reasons why it's "ok" pretty effectively.

Stay aware from those ellipses, because it's a crutch that's just... I dunno, hard to let go of.

Oh, and Mordor! That game's great! I'm always afraid to jump into an open-world because it feels overwhelming and a waste of time. But Mordor's just fun, man. It's one of the best playing games I've ever played, which is why it was my second favorite game of last year behind Wolfenstein. There are a handful of side activities that drag on, but the controls feel great and pulling off the stealth and combat feels effortless.

I also wield the power of the PS4 share button, so let me direct you to a late game fight showing off the ease and pure joy that the mechanics can result in. I didn't think about any of this stuff, I just did it and loved it. (it's not much of a spoiler, I'm just fighting some tough guys, but maybe avoid the top left objective for 5 seconds)

Actually that video was pretty awesome. I'm definitely excited to share my own stuff like that. So far I only really have Ellie blowing a man into giblets and a really, really motivational bandit.

I see videos like yours and I get really hype because, while crazy, I found the combat in the Arkham games to be really buggy. Coupled with Assassin's Creed being nothing but a collectible slideshow with some sort of story attached, I am getting really bored with those games. But Shadow of Mordor looks like it takes philosophies of both games and turns it into its own thing.

I am definitely late to the party but I'll be one of yous guys in no time.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: As far as sharing, you haven't lived til you've live-streamed some Strider to an audience of between 0 or 2 people (with no commentary, my streaming is pure).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.