Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 26, 2009

inFamous is a third-person open-world action game in which players take control of Cole, an urban explorer / bike messenger changed by a mysterious blast that grants him electricity-based superpowers.

It's always good to finally enjoy a game you used to loathe!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic

If you had asked me just yesterday, what game i hated the most, i would've said inFamous
    While i loathe and despise Crysis 2 since it doesn't deserve the Crysis name, I hated inFamous with a passion. 

The world felt too grim and offputting, the NPCs are twitchy and weird, you don't feel like they're human beings but rather stampeding rats in a human form, the protagonist is also very twitchy and his movement is dissatisfying (he's like a monkey on drugs), and overall, the game has only one kind of enemies, The Reapers. Though they do vary in style and powers, they're all the same basic enemy.  
    The screen goes grey (near-death screen) way too fast, no matter how much you spam the dodge button the snipers across the map can still hit you, and it was all just one big clusterfuck of frustration.  

No Caption Provided

But after conversing with some inFamous fans on the inFamous 2 forums here on Giant Bomb, i decided to "man up" (since apparently i was being slow and pussy-ish with my gameplay), and i'm glad to say that they were right. 
    I've been playing inFamous for 3-4 hours (started a new game. something i've done about 6 times in the last year) and i'm just enjoying the game like i never did before. 

I think the visuals actually look great if i take it easy on the criticism (the cars looking all stupid for example), the gameplay is very tight and engaging once you grow some balls and FUCK those reapers in the ass. 

I used to dislike Mass Effect, Dead SpaceS.T.A.L.K.E.R and Oblivion in the past, simply because i didn't get the way they handled and progrssed, and i've become a fan of all four after i successfully managed to enjoy them last year after so many tries. 

But i never thought i'd enjoy inFamous. i despised it so much and wanted to break the disc with my cock.  
    Very pleased to be enjoying myself now, this game is hella fun. I'm still worried about the upcoming fights, i expect to still get fucked with grey screen before i scratch my head, and expect the dodge button to remain useless..  any tips on approaching intense combat is appreciated.

-------------------  

Name one game that you used to hate with every fiber of your being, which you approached differently later on and managed to enjoy! Maybe tell us something about why you hated it and how that changed for you.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

If you had asked me just yesterday, what game i hated the most, i would've said inFamous
    While i loathe and despise Crysis 2 since it doesn't deserve the Crysis name, I hated inFamous with a passion. 

The world felt too grim and offputting, the NPCs are twitchy and weird, you don't feel like they're human beings but rather stampeding rats in a human form, the protagonist is also very twitchy and his movement is dissatisfying (he's like a monkey on drugs), and overall, the game has only one kind of enemies, The Reapers. Though they do vary in style and powers, they're all the same basic enemy.  
    The screen goes grey (near-death screen) way too fast, no matter how much you spam the dodge button the snipers across the map can still hit you, and it was all just one big clusterfuck of frustration.  

No Caption Provided

But after conversing with some inFamous fans on the inFamous 2 forums here on Giant Bomb, i decided to "man up" (since apparently i was being slow and pussy-ish with my gameplay), and i'm glad to say that they were right. 
    I've been playing inFamous for 3-4 hours (started a new game. something i've done about 6 times in the last year) and i'm just enjoying the game like i never did before. 

I think the visuals actually look great if i take it easy on the criticism (the cars looking all stupid for example), the gameplay is very tight and engaging once you grow some balls and FUCK those reapers in the ass. 

I used to dislike Mass Effect, Dead SpaceS.T.A.L.K.E.R and Oblivion in the past, simply because i didn't get the way they handled and progrssed, and i've become a fan of all four after i successfully managed to enjoy them last year after so many tries. 

But i never thought i'd enjoy inFamous. i despised it so much and wanted to break the disc with my cock.  
    Very pleased to be enjoying myself now, this game is hella fun. I'm still worried about the upcoming fights, i expect to still get fucked with grey screen before i scratch my head, and expect the dodge button to remain useless..  any tips on approaching intense combat is appreciated.

-------------------  

Name one game that you used to hate with every fiber of your being, which you approached differently later on and managed to enjoy! Maybe tell us something about why you hated it and how that changed for you.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By craigbo180

Crysis 2 was a disgrace to the hallowed and reverent Crysis franchise, how dare they even release it. Might as well have took a dump in a dvd case. For me the game that always springs to mind is dead rising, I hated that when I had my first time with it but when I was leveled up a bit and understood the game better it became my favorite game for the 360. Metal Gear Solid 2 originally pissed me off with the whole Raiden thing but that ended up being my favorite game in the series.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I played InFamous last weekend and hated it almost as much as I hated Prototype. Garbage that takes the busywork of an MMO but puts it in an open world instead.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vonocourt

Thought it was alright from the demo, but really enjoying it after I got in the welcome back package. Though that could just be because it was free...

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

I might have been on of those said inFamous fans, sorry if I came off as harsh!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Cloudenvy said:

I might have been on of those said inFamous fans, sorry if I came off as harsh!

No it was cool, you guys were right. Some games need big kickass balls to get shit done
    HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

What's really sad is when you find you loath a game you use to enjoy. Chromehounds was like that. Played the fool out of for a year until, finally, I couldn't stand it.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss
    Dead Rising. It took me four years, and six hate-filled false starts to finally try it one more time and "CLICK" it all came together.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kashif1
    @craigbo180 said:
    Crysis 2 was a disgrace to the hallowed and reverent Crysis franchise, how dare they even release it. Might as well have took a dump in a dvd case. For me the game that always springs to mind is dead rising, I hated that when I had my first time with it but when I was leveled up a bit and understood the game better it became my favorite game for the 360. Metal Gear Solid 2 originally pissed me off with the whole Raiden thing but that ended up being my favorite game in the series.
    Having never played crysis, may i ask what you are talking about.  My time with crysis 2 was fun
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aegon

Higher ground and hiding behind cover. Also, look on the mini map and switch your position accordingly. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn

Play Fallout 3, NOW.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By craigbo180
    @kashif1: It's not a bad game, just doesn't deserve the Crysis name. Crysis was one of the hugest games of all time (maybe THE hugest) you can't just slap that name on anything that comes along and offers to buy you a drink. They should forget this ever happened and just call the next game Crysis 2, it better be good though.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gike987
    @H2Oyea said:

Higher ground and hiding behind cover. Also, look on the mini map and switch your position accordingly. 

I almost never used cover and I played on hard. Higher ground works but the most import thing is to always know where you can find electricity to heal yourself and to make use of all your powers.
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aegon
    @gike987: Yeah, I beat it on hard as well. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brought it ages ago and didn't like it, downloaded it with the welcome back package and i've enjoyed it more this time around.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

Will you forgive it if youre just running around and suddenly fall through the world? I remember a lot of weirdness like that happening when I played it through the first time. 

I absolutely HATED Crackdown the first time I played it but over time I warmed to it so much I went and got all the points in it. I now love that game... the second not so much.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

Far Cry 2 was not a game I hated but a game I didn't understand. After returning to it, I took my time, got the right weapons, scoured the battlefield, fought tactically, learned enemy routes and managed my in-game time. That was one of the coolest gaming moments I had when everything clicked and I started to dominate.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By JTB123

I hated the original Assassin's Creed but after playing through AC2 I went back and really enjoyed it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @kashif1 said:
    @craigbo180 said:
    Having never played crysis, may i ask what you are talking about.  My time with crysis 2 was fun
    I'm sure Crysis 2 on it's own is a fun game (though i can't fathom how you can go through the MW2-ish bits without shaking your head in disgust, at the fact that they're ripping it off). But if you have been playing the colossal masterpiece that is Crysis, with it's mindblowing and seamless fusion of open world and FPS, in addition to it's smart AI, cutting edge graphics, tight controls, gameplay/nano suit innovation, unique setting and brilliantly designed shootouts (where you can shift between stealth and assault seamlessly), you'd puke your heart out when you play C2 after that. 

The linear MW2-ish NEW YORK CITY shooter that is C2 is simply vomit inducing. The fact that you have to engage cloak 24/7 is sickening, the AI are have supernatural senses, and the characters stink. Not to mention how the game babysits you (friendly AI yelling for you to follow them every 10 seconds, scan-and-mark tool that takes all the fun out of running into enemies unknowingly..) 
    I'm glad you haven't played Crysis 1. That's the only way to enjoy Crysis 2 

@ProfessorEss said:
    Dead Rising. It took me four years, and six hate-filled false starts to finally try it one more time and "CLICK" it all came together.
    That must've felt good :) 

@H2Oyea said:
    look on the mini map and switch your position accordingly. 
    Could you explain that ?
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aegon
    @Ahmad_Metallic said: 
    @H2Oyea said:
    Could you explain that ?
    Look at the position of the enemies and whether they're above or below you, then change your position so you could kill them more easily. For example, if there are a bunch of enemies in front of you on the same level, climb up a building and shoot at the them from the top. 
    ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By ezekielzero

Yeah basically what Gike987 and H2Oyea said, and a strategy that I always found worked well for me was fighting from power lines as you move fast making you hard to hit and are constantly healed.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @JTB123 said:
    I hated the original Assassin's Creed but after playing through AC2 I went back and really enjoyed it.
    That's great. I feel sad for anyone who missed out on/couldn't enjoy Assassin's Creed. it's such a great game words cannot describe it. 

@H2Oyea said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said: 
    @H2Oyea said:
    Could you explain that ?
    Look at the position of the enemies and whether they're above or below you, then change your position so you could kill them more easily. For example, if there are a bunch of enemies in front of you on the same level, climb up a building and shoot at the them from the top. 
    Thanks for the tip! How do i tell whether they're above/below me? or on my level? 
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aegon
    @Ahmad_Metallic: If I remember correctly, it's a square when they're at the same level, an upward triangle for above and a downward pointing triangle for below. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX

Dude if you can break a disc with your cock you're my hero. Just saying.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX said:

i second this
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation
    @DystopiaX said:

He must be a horse. That's the only way.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    @DystopiaX said:

i second this
    Doesn't everyone break discs with their penises? What, do you bend them with your hands or something.. ?
    Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Twitchey

Fallout: New Vegas. 
    I wanted to love, it like a child that isn't yours.
    I hated it for three months until one day I decided to create a new character for shits and giggles and BAM! I fell in love.
    When I realized how actually fight and what guns to use I was addicted.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
     But if you have been playing the colossal masterpiece that is Crysis, with it's mindblowing and seamless fusion of open world and FPS, in addition to it's smart AI, cutting edge graphics, tight controls, gameplay/nano suit innovation, unique setting and brilliantly designed shootouts (where you can shift between stealth and assault seamlessly)  
    You sound like you're marketing the game. Crysis 1 bored me to tears, but I might give it another go someday. Maybe I'll like it.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
     But if you have been playing the colossal masterpiece that is Crysis, with it's mindblowing and seamless fusion of open world and FPS, in addition to it's smart AI, cutting edge graphics, tight controls, gameplay/nano suit innovation, unique setting and brilliantly designed shootouts (where you can shift between stealth and assault seamlessly)  
    You sound like you're marketing the game. 
    I take that as a compliment. If that passage which is coming completely from the heart sounds like PR talk or marketing, then that's proof that my amazement and joy out of Crysis reached unprecedented levels 
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlasherMan

The only game that I can ever consider myself to have hated is Far Cry 2. And no, I never changed my mind about it. It's still crap.

STALKER was one game I was really couldn't care for after I tried it for the first time. There were many things that I just couldn't get over in how that game was designed (incidentally, frequently respawning enemies was one such issue, similar to FC2 in that sense). However, after retrying it some time later with the Oblivion Lost mod, I was absolutely blown away. It was (and still is) one of the most properly atmospheric games I have ever played, and I loved every minute of it. It's about the only game that put me in character where I felt I had to survive at all costs (picking strategic spots to take enemies out, sleeping when needed, eating, getting better weapons and armor, hunting for anomalies, finding cover in some deserted building and hoping it's not infested with mutants every time there is a blowout, etc). 

There is one moment that sticks in my mind the most in that game, where at one point I was outside in the world at night on a mission. It was raining with loud thunderclaps every now and then, and just before every thunderclap the lightning would cause everything around me to light up briefly and I could see things in the far distance that I normally wouldn't have been able to (the game itself wasn't much of a graphical powerhouse, but it damn sure had one of the best lighting engines I've seen). I was nearly out of ammo, which was especially bad because I could hear one of those invisible mutants close by. I take out my knife and try to draw out the monster and have it come to me, rather than charge in. I could hear it getting closer and I could tell the damn thing is almost right in front of me, but it still hadn't revealed itself. It goes silent for a few seconds and all I can hear is the rain. I become a bit unnerved. Then out of nowhere I hear a loud roar behind me and... Well, the thing made the mistake of crawling up on a twitchy man with a knife.

It might not sound like much here, but the kind of immersion I felt at that exact moment was really one of a kind. I was really amazed at the feeling the game invoked in me, and there were plenty of moments that did the same throughout.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By James_ex_machina

I've been playing Infamous. I'm several hours on. I hate it. The controls the animation the story so far. My gf just yelled at me for playing through a game I hate so much. I just keep playing hoping it gets better. I played prototype for a couple of hours. Wasn't thrilled but I didn't hate it. This game just isn't clicking with me.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SlasherMan said:
    The only game that I can ever consider myself to have hated is Far Cry 2. And no, I never changed my mind about it. It's still crap.

STALKER was one game I was really couldn't care for after I tried it for the first time. There were many things that I just couldn't get over in how that game was designed (incidentally, frequently respawning enemies was one such issue, similar to FC2 in that sense). However, after retrying it some time later with the Oblivion Lost mod, I was absolutely blown away. It was (and still is) one of the most properly atmospheric games I have ever played, and I loved every minute of it. It's about the only game that put me in character where I felt I had to survive at all costs (picking strategic spots to take enemies out, sleeping when needed, eating, getting better weapons and armor, hunting for anomalies, finding cover in some deserted building and hoping it's not infested with mutants every time there is a blowout, etc).   There is one moment that sticks in my mind the most in that game, where at one point I was outside in the world at night on a mission. It was raining with loud thunderclaps every now and then, and just before every thunderclap the lightning would cause everything around me to light up briefly and I could see things in the far distance that I normally wouldn't have been able to (the game itself wasn't much of a graphical powerhouse, but it damn sure had one of the best lighting engines I've seen). I was nearly out of ammo, which was especially bad because I could hear one of those invisible mutants close by. I take out my knife and try to draw out the monster and have it come to me, rather than charge in. I could hear it getting closer and I could tell the damn thing is almost right in front of me, but it still hadn't revealed itself. It goes silent for a few seconds and all I can hear is the rain. I become a bit unnerved. Then out of nowhere I hear a loud roar behind me and... Well, the thing made the mistake of crawling up on a twitchy man with a knife. It might not sound like much here, but the kind of immersion I felt at that exact moment was really one of a kind. I was really amazed at the feeling the game invoked in me, and there were plenty of moments that did the same throughout.
    I don't know how i missed that post before, but i read it just now and felt compelled to reply..  
    that was an amazing little write-up dude! 

I agree and know what you mean and know the things you're praising, but my problem with that game's immersion is that it becomes a little scary for me to go on. Getting that immersed into the world kind of drives me out of my comfort zone and i get uncomfortable with the game's intensity, danger, and burdens (caring for the ammo and food, your timed missions, your saves and making sure not to screw up, etc etc..) 

how do you deal with that pressure?
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm glad I chose to download inFamous for free. I appreciate it more now than when I first played it. I'm still pulling disc shards out of my cock after that.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I just embraced it. It is part of the experience, after all. If it ever feels like it gets too much to handle, just take a break and get back to it later. Also, you get used to the scares eventually, so they're not as intense as they are when you've experienced them for the first time.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'm playing this game now to get ready for inFamous: Second Son; it's really rough, the shooting is terrible and there is too much of it, melee is pretty much useless unless you get the drop on them, I'm only about halfway through, but I really dislike this game a lot right now. It's pretty wild playing this game after playing Saints Row IV, things have come a long way in 4 years.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: This was actually a really cool thread to neco, good job. I know what you mean about SR4, that game did a better job at allowing you to be the super hero then some straight up super hero games.

Anyways, I hated Fallout when I first played it, I'm talking the 1st, I couldn't understand what to do at all, I was completely lost, the controls made no sense to me, I couldn't figure out what direction to go, a room full of stupid fucking rats kept killing me, it was unbearable.

I don't know what made me go back to replay it a few years later, but by the time I did I had sort of become more knowledgeable about games in general, I was young when I played it and I had grown up on games that all had tutorials, so if I played an older game that didn't guide me on what to do in my mind that just meant the game was a broken mess made by people who didn't know what they were doing, if I had to figure something out on my own or look at the controls in the option menu or whatever the case may be, that equaled a bad game.
    But luckily when I went back I had gotten over that, I realized some games gave you a helping hand and some didn't to varying degrees and I figured out the controls and even started to love that it didn't really tell you where to go, that was exciting to me! My first steps are my own! Where will this adventure take me!
    And now it's one of my favorite games ever.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yay... for necros

I still can't stand this game nor do I understand why people like it so much. It's very unsatisfying to play.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Necro for some reason, Infamous 2 is better; Infamous 1 is perfectly fine but not really amazing or anything; but it was free before PS+ did free games so that's cool. Best part of Infamous 2 is getting all of the shards by doing 1 user created mission that teleports you to all of them.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the necro?! Just reading that OP burned my eyes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.