Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infestation: Survivor Stories

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Dec 17, 2012

Formerly called The War Z, this infamous clone of the popular ARMA II mod "DayZ" is best known for the many controversies surrounding its launch, subsequent removal from Steam, and the unapologetic stance of its developers.

The War Z Outrage

• 107 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By mordukai

How come no one has yet to make fun about the title for this game? Seriously! The War Z?!?!?! WTF Sunds like a name someone would make when talking about cute baby stuff.

Awww The WarZy is so cutesy.

I still can't believe people bought that pile of dog shit. No sorry, lesser then dos shit. At least with dog shit you can put it in a paper bag and have some fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'm really glad I didn't buy this game...I was really close.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By cornbredx

It's weird how people are complaining about this stuff now and games journalists are writing about it when there's been games on steam that flat out don't work (sometimes on  just certain computers that meet minimum requirements sometimes don't work at all) and never get fixed (those games still exist on steam). 

Also, didn't someone who worked on big rigs work on this game? I read that somewhere, don't know if that's true.

This whole thing seems like incompetence on the developers part, and that sucks, but I can't say it's all news or surprising to me.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Someone has done the math and claims the first map is closer to 10 square km

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Azteck

They outright said that if it doesn't generate enough profits, they are dropping any support for it within 6 months. On top of that, it is literally a re-skin of War Inc, which was also shit. There's so much dodgy shit surrounding the game that the fact that it hasn't already been listed as a scam is fucking incredible.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Undeadpool

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Another day, another outrage.

Outrage makes the web go 'round!

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Go and read the wiki, people are not being kind!

razgriz417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By razgriz417
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SlashDance

@razgriz417 said:

edit: looks like its been pulled from Steam :D

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Has any other game ever been pulled from steam? Has valve made an statement?

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@The_Laughing_Man:

Valve spokesperson Doug Lombardi provided GamesBeat with the following statement:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of The War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Again, we apologize any inconvenience.

Source

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @HarlechQuinn

@The_Laughing_Man:

Valve spokesperson Doug Lombardi provided GamesBeat with the following statement:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of The War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Again, we apologize any inconvenience.

Source

I doubt they can recover from this.
    FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By FaPaThY

Good on Valve for doing this, although they should have done it a lot sooner.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@FaPaThY: How soon did you expect it? Game has been out on steam for a day.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#65  Edited By granderojo

Valve is run by gentlemen and scholars.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By Bollard

Bahaha I can't believe you people actually thought a game that was piggybacking on the idea of DayZ's success, and was clearly made in less time than you could shit out a bad product, would actually be any good.

And the real kicker? It's produced by the guy who produced Big Rigs.

Oh my god, too funny.

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FaPaThY

@2HeadedNinja Ideally it should have never made it to Steam, but there were complaints everywhere from the start and even before it was put up on Steam. They should have at least been keeping an eye on it, especially being a 'Top Seller'.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jrinswand
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Valve continues their streak of classiness.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Dingofighter

It's kind of funny that a game that the developer felt was good enough to be "released", is now being called "prematurely released" by Valve. 
    I wonder if it's just a case of Valve making sure what is on the store page is actually in the game, or if they actually think the game has to be developed further before putting it back up. 
    It's probably just the former, though. I mean, there are a lot of other horrible games on Steam, right?

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@FaPaThY: granted, but as they said: there can be mistakes. They took it down pretty fast and they are offering refunds ... thats good enough in my book.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mister_V

Slightly off topic but is this game anything to do with DayZ? I had not heard anything about this game before all this outrage.

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FaPaThY

It's a DayZ rip-off trying to cash in on its success by a team that has nothing to do with them.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By cronus42

@Mister_V: None at all. The WarZ Devs are just piggybacking off the success of Rocket's team. The fact that your immediate thought is that it might be DayZ related shows how disgustingly effective they are being. Well, right up until the game was torn down that is.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Ghostiet

@mordukai said:

How come no one has yet to make fun about the title for this game? Seriously! The War Z?!?!?! WTF Sunds like a name someone would make when talking about cute baby stuff.

It's mostly because the game was initially something called "War Inc." and then got turned into a zombie game after the success of Day-Z. Look for a NeoGAF thread about this shit. Some of the screenshots were simply altered into a different game.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Mister_V

Ah, Thanks for the replys, Yeah trying to cash in on the success of DayZ like this is a terrible thing to do.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#77  Edited By Barrabas

@Mister_V said:

Ah, Thanks for the replys, Yeah trying to cash in on the success of DayZ like this is a terrible thing to do.

Actually, that's kind of how the whole industry works. Find something successful and copy it / slightly alter it to try and make it better. Remember there was a time when we called all fps games "Doom Clones."

I mean, I'm not defending the misleading steam stuff or the ripping off early adopters. Valve was right to remove it, but copying another game is not doing something wrong unless you're directly ripping off their assets.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By NathanStack

@Chavtheworld said:

Bahaha I can't believe you people actually thought a game that was piggybacking on the idea of DayZ's success, and was clearly made in less time than you could shit out a bad product, would actually be any good.

And the real kicker? It's produced by the guy who produced Big Rigs.

Oh my god, too funny.

This, a million times this.

All of you who bought the game are stupid and you should feel bad.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Barrabas said:

@Mister_V said:

Actually, that's kind of how the whole industry works. Find something successful and copy it / slightly alter it to try and make it better. Remember there was a time when we called all fps games "Doom Clones."

I mean, I'm not defending the misleading steam stuff or the ripping off early adopters. Valve was right to remove it, but copying another game is not doing something wrong unless you're directly ripping off their assets.

Well, it's only disgusting because of almost every aspect of the game being connected to a false claim. Development time, support, the Steam page's everything...

I think the important part of Mister_V's statement is "like this." Like you said, there's a ton of precedent for copying a game's style to get extra sales, but Hammerpoint is run by, and is acting like, a basket of frauds here. There's too much anecdotal evidence to say otherwise right now.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Mister_V

@Barrabas said:

@Mister_V said:

Oh your totally right. I guess it's the brazen way they have done it that I don't like. Taking inspiration from it is one thing, but this is approaching Zynga levels.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By cronus42

So this is a bit late on the WarZ hate train, but still a really hilarious article. This guy used some math and measurements to figure out the size of the map compared to the 100 km square it was claimed to be. Turns out it's a lot closer to 10km. At this point I'm honestly curious if it was more blatant lying or if they really thought they had made a 100 square km map.

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FaPaThY

Ya, this is way more than just taking inspiration from. The main reason they pushed WarZ out so early and tried to scum it off as release quality was to beat DayZ's standalone release. Which is funny, because Hall stated he'll slip the the 'before the end of the year' date if needed and "will not compromise the project for the short-term gain of meeting this date."

year199X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By year199X

Well this made my day a bit more interesting. I've definitely put more faith into Valve as a company as a result of this since they were willing to own up to their mistake. I can't say the same for those Hammerpoint jerks.

Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mercer
    abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By abendlaender

So, do you think that the whole War Z disaster is also Valve's fault?

I personally think: Yes, at least a bit. However I don't think there is much they could have done. Not demanding thousands of dollars for cert is one of the huge advantages on Steam, I would hate to see that go away. The best solution would be (in my opinion) to demand fines if a game comes out as broken as War Z (and of course removing it and offering refunds).

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Ravenlight

@Abendlaender said:

So, do you think that the whole War Z disaster is also Valve's fault?

They're partially at fault for obviously not properly vetting a game that they were selling through their service. Hopefully this incident will be the impetus for them to make some changes in their screening process.

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By FaPaThY

Lol, this currently has a 1.2 on metacritic even after Sergei practically begged people to vote it up in their forum.

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?79039-War-Z-on-metacritic-tell-us-what-do-you-think-!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-war-z

Those alleged "93% of happy customers" are sure showing their support.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I think this is the first time aside from the EA stuff a game has been pulled from steam

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Jrinswand
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SlashDance

@Jrinswand: Holy shit this is just getting better and better.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Akyho

I really do laugh that Alex is the one that posted about the new of War Z. He gets to put anothe stake into one of his worst moments in life.

The funniest thing about all of this is the designer of The War Z, Sergey Titov, was the lead programmer for Big Rigs. In other words, one of the people responsible for the worst game ever made helped to design this massive lump of coal. What a resume.

Source

For all that dont know. Some Gamespot and GB history.

This is the most definitive nail in not going near War Z for me.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By DougQuaid

@FaPaThY said:

Ya, this is way more than just taking inspiration from. The main reason they pushed WarZ out so early and tried to scum it off as release quality was to beat DayZ's standalone release. Which is funny, because Hall stated he'll slip the the 'before the end of the year' date if needed and "will not compromise the project for the short-term gain of meeting this date."

Really? That may be true, but to me it comes off as 'We are badly in need of revenue to keep working on this game. Lets push out our alpha build, lie about it, and try to sucker as many people as we possibly can.'

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Azteck

@DougQuaid said:

@FaPaThY said:

Really? That may be true, but to me it comes off as 'We are badly in need of revenue to keep working on this game. Lets push out our alpha build, lie about it, and try to sucker as many people as we possibly can.'

Yeeaaah I don't know how that's better.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#94  Edited By DG991
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The official forums for the game are just sad now.

Well good for valve for removing that garbage from steam.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By DG991

In regards to this article

http://kotaku.com/5969927/some-war-z-images-were-ripped-from-the-walking-dead?tag=The-War-Z

And the people saying that they inspired drawings off of the originals...

It looks like they put them through a simple filter.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Zelyre

@DG991 said:

It looks like they put them through a simple filter.

C'mon. Credit where credit is due. They did more than just put it through a filter.

Some had flip-horizontal done to it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Zelyre

@mordukai said:

It's probably supposed to be The War Zed.

Which is still a dumb name.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By benjo_t

This game is a disgrace, and not only are the people behind it incompetent, they are actually malicious, exploitative and just the worst. So, so gross, and I wish that the press was sounding off more over this absolute slap in the face of gamers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.