Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinity Engine

Concept »

Developed by BioWare for the first Baldur's Gate game, the Infinity Engine features an isometric perspective, pre-rendered 2D backgrounds and sprite-based characters.

Best Infinity Engine game to break into?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Belegorm

Hey all recently I thought I'd give another go at an Infinity Engine game. I think I got all of them in a gog.com sale years ago, tried Planescape: Torment and while I deeply respected the aesthetic design there it did not do much for me. I also tried some Icewind Dale and the big "organise a 6 man party from scratch!" thing sort of overwhelmed me. I didn't try Baldur's Gate.

Probably the most similar thing I played was Fallout 1, got maybe 10 hours into that several years ago but stopped playing it.

Which is probably the simplest to break into? I haven't tried BG but would that be the one? Or should I just grin and bear it and make a party in ID? Or would P:T completely blow my mind if I put more hours into it?

...or should I go fuck this and go play some more Fallout?

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would go with Baldur's Gate II.

Jesna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jesna

I'd recommend either Baldur's Gate 1 with the BGtutu mod (which places the first game in the second game's engine), or, if you don't feel like taking the time to mod the first game, just jump into BG 2. Both are excellent games, but a lot of new players get frustrated by how punishing low levels are in BG 1, and the BGtutu mod alleviates many of those issues. Icewind Dale is a solid game, but it is fairly challenging and requires a decent knowledge of 2nd Edition D&D mechanics, which you will naturally acquire playing through the BG series, so I would personally hold off on that one.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Baldur's Gate 2.

Baldur's gate 1 is low level D&D. If you make a mage, you're in for an incredibly difficult uphill climb, as the loss of your primary character means game over. An acorn falling from a tree and hitting you in the head could potentially kill a level 1 wizard.

Since you start Baldur's Gate 2 decently leveled, it doesn't feel anywhere near as punishing.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Nut up and play through Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 with the mod mentioned above. The first few hours of BG1 can be kind of a hassle, but it's worth the effort if you have enough time to spare.

That or just wait for Pillars of Eternity.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

FIFA 13 or Icewind Dale, I'd say.

I found Icewind Dale much easier than the Baldur's Gate games.

But generally, yes, I'd say stick with Fallout and the Fallout engine games. There are some fantastic games using that engine, like Arcanum, which is basically Divinity: Original Sin.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By endaround

Baldur's Gate allows you to slowly get accustomed to AD&D rules where BG 2 just throws you in. I would make a cleric or fighter/cleric for BG 1 but that is really up you. Just save often and using a FAQ if needed.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

If you figure it out, tell me, because I've not been able to play ANY of those games. They control so terribly if you haven't played them before

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BG2 is definitely the best story of the bunch; it's up there for best RPG story ever. (Although my vote goes to Mask of the Betrayer.)

It's a little easier to create a character and go, too, although the 2.5 rules are a bit complex. Go for a dual-wielding barbarian and enjoy the chopping, if you want my opinion.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Belegorm

Thanks for the advice all!

I did find the mods for BG1, installed a bunch and started playing--but then ended up getting this itch to go back into Ultima IV. I'll get through all these CRPG's at some point, damn you gog for having too many great games on your site!

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Anund

@animasta said:

If you figure it out, tell me, because I've not been able to play ANY of those games. They control so terribly if you haven't played them before

What? You click somewhere and your dudes go there. You click an enemy and your fellas attack. Admittedly I have played the games before, so maybe you're right and they just don't control terribly for me. But I don't see the problem.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund said:

@animasta said:

What? You click somewhere and your dudes go there. You click an enemy and your fellas attack. Admittedly I have played the games before, so maybe you're right and they just don't control terribly for me. But I don't see the problem.

it's super clunky. Like, really really clunky. I hated combat every time I got into it and I barely cared about the story stuff enough to continue.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Planescape: Torment.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Either planescape (with a guide, because the beginning of that game is aimless as all hell) or the first Baldur's Gate (with a guide and the TuTu mod. The beginning of that game is also sort of aimless, but once you get over that early game hump it's just fine). I know people like to say the second game, and yeah, the second game is basically the king of CRPGs, but BG2 is also crazy dense and assumes a level of familiarity with mid-high level D&D. The first game is a tad more relaxed in its pacing and doesn't bludgeon the player over the head with enemy wizards and their 5,000 protection spells that need to be stripped away before you can hurt them.

Just maybe don't try Icewind Dale until you understand how combat works in that engine.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Belegorm

@animasta said:

@anund said:

@animasta said:

it's super clunky. Like, really really clunky. I hated combat every time I got into it and I barely cared about the story stuff enough to continue.

I think you might be finding it a bit "old" which for you would feel "clunky." I find a majority of old PC games' controls to feel somewhat clunky now, because they're so different from what I've been playing for years. Unless they're an RTS (controls never change), Half-Life and a handful of other old FPS games, or Civilization/other TBS games.

I have been finding the interface highly confusing... but then again I tend to never read the manual, which was kind of necessary for most CRPG's (try some Ultima w/out knowing the text commands to talk to people!).

In any case I'm putting the Infinity Engine on hold again for a week or two because Britannia is calling me back to the time of 1985 and the quest for the avatar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.