Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Injustice 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 16, 2017

When a new league of supervillains threatens alternate-universe Earth, it's up to Batman's crew of superheroes (and their shaky alliance with Superman's ruthless Regime) to stop them.

Injustice 2 Impressions and Feedback (Online BETA Now Live)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

As a huge, huge, huge fan of the original Injustice I am extremely excited to see more and more information about this game's forthcoming release. As of yesterday, the Injustice 2's first Online Beta is now online, giving us the first insight into the major changes and updates to the game's core mechanics.

The four characters in the beta include:

• Superman
    • Batman
    • Supergirl
    • ATROCITUS

I wasn't able to get into the online registration, but I've been watching Twitch broadcasts of the beta essentially nonstop since the floodgates opened yesterday.

A few general takeaways:

• I LOVE that Injustice 2's returning characters keep many of the same attack strings and special abilities from the original game. It seems to give the game a Street Fighter-like consistency between franchise entries, with minor tweaks and alterations to hitboxes and frame data making a wider array of strategies viable.
    • Gear and loot drops in the beta come quickly and create opportunities to change the playing field rather significantly from match to match. You can't change between items mid-match, but it does appear you have control over your loadout in between rematches. And certainly during the matchmaking screen.
      • As an example of the effect gear can have on the moment-to-moment play, one item Superman unlocks turns one of his special attacks into an opportunity for a stage transition--wherein a player is knocked through the environment to land in a different location. Stage transitions normally require a specific, slow, and laborious attack to execute. Superman being able to do this with a simple special attack means he has access to more options that lead to big, big damage.
    • Some gear is purely cosmetic--changing Superman's crest, for example--but much of the loot actively affects characters' abilities, experience gain, and general damage. Loot also follows Diablo or Destiny-style tiering, meaning you'll see common, uncommon, and "Legendary" rarities with scaling attributes.
    • Following this, gear in Injustice influences four different attributes: Strength, Abilities, Defense, and Health. As best as I can tell, these correspond respectively to physical damage, special attack damage, damage received when blocking, and overall health.
    • Players can customize and save Call of Duty-style presets with specific loadouts of gear. Face-to-face with a turtling, defensive player? Build a preset based on dealing huge chip damage. Wilting under the relentless assault of a rushdown character? Build a preset focused on defense, health, and survivability.
    • Most players are favoring Supergirl, partly because she's a new character, but also because she is an early powerhouse. EVO champion Sonic Fox even claims to have already discovered a block infinite with the character.
    • Green Lantern villain Atrocitus plays very much within the archetype of Injustice 1's Zod and Mortal Kombat X's Quan Chi, summoning an ally over his shoulder who can create unorthodox high/low blocking confusion.
    • The game's netcode has received widespread early acclaim. People are getting into matches quickly and enjoying a stable fighting experience. It is reasonable to assume Injustice 2 utilizes much of the same netcode tech as Mortal Kombat XL, which leveraged a rollback system to create a tighter, more responsive fighting environment.

My lingering question is about just how NetherRealm will balance gear in competitive play. While I haven't seen it, there will surely be a mode that disables any and all equipped gear in order to level the playing field between characters. But online it seems we could be looking at a veritable Wild West. But, whatever. We have loot in a fighting game and that seems unbelievable.

Okay. I'm going to stop myself there but update this thread regularly. Is anyone in the Beta? Has anyone had the chance to play much of the new characters or trial some of the newer mechanics?

I can't wait for May.

OMGrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I signed up for the beta, but haven't received an email as of yet. I guess I just didn't win a raffel?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgrich: Sounds like the invites are coming in waves. Keep your eyes peeled for an invite.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Damn no way to still get in huh?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Zirilius

@oursin_360: you can register at https://beta.injustice.com/

It sounds like they are going to let in the vast majority of people who signed up. If I get a code I plan on playing but I have never played these games actively online much. I've always been into the challenge modes and the single player.

Looking forward to trying out Supergirl though. Probably my favorite "comic" DC superhero.

Edit: - disregard the link. Registration is closed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Registration is currently closed. But in NetherRealm's "Watchtower" stream yesterday it was said the beta may remain open for the better part of February. It was strongly implied the online registration will reopen soon. I recommend you follow NetherRealm and Ed Boon on Twitter for the most recent updates. I can try to update this thread when the time comes as well.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Zirilius

@inevpatoria: Already put an edit in my post. I just went to the link without looking to see if it was still valid. My bad.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria: During the stream yesterday, Ed Boon stated that there is an online mode where you can only play with the base characters, no gear will work. Id assume the cosmetics changes that comes from some gear would still carry over, your just not going to get the attributive bonuses. Makes sense and is smart. They've built a tournament scene and they wouldn't just ruin it like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee said:

@inevpatoria: During the stream yesterday, Ed Boon stated that there is an online mode where you can only play with the base characters, no gear will work. Id assume the cosmetics changes that comes from some gear would still carry over, your just not going to get the attributive bonuses. Makes sense and is smart. They've built a tournament scene and they wouldn't just ruin it like that.

I'd be interested to see them try to manage both somehow. I'm glad the default-character mode is included, but man, how fucking crazy/insane/overwhelming/awesome would it be to see side tournaments that allowed gear.

I suppose that would be hard to supervise, logistically. Gear will be like loot in any loot-driven game, RNG and bound to the account that discovered it. People traveling to play on tournament setups wouldn't have access to their given loadouts. Perhaps only in online tournaments could you facilitate something like that.

Obviously I'm being a little facetious here, and certainly wouldn't present an either/or situation where I'd prefer to include RNG gear over contests otherwise determined by pure skill and level of play. But I'd still love to see pro-level players take the shackles off and push the envelope of gamebreaking possibility.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if saying your name was "Dominique Mclean" increased your odds of getting into the beta.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

@inevpatoria: @zirilius: thanks for the info, kinda forgot about this and never signed up.

I would only play online with gear stats off as i think that is lame for competition. Single player is fine though, hopefully you can still keep gear looks when playing the stat free online mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.