Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Inside

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 29, 2016

A game from Limbo developers, Playdead, set in a dystopian environment.

Human skull was used to record the Inside soundtrack

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

According to Martin Stig Andersen, sound designer and composer for Inside, the use of a human skull was essential in in the production of the game's soundtrack. In a Gamasutra article, which I just happened upon, Andersen explains the idea behind the method of using a skull to distort the synthetic music in the game.

"Early on, as we were working on Inside, I had the idea of working with a human skull because I think it's very interesting how the sound of your own voice sounds very different in your own head."

Andersen has even uploaded "pre-skull" and "post-skull" samples of the game's music. I really recommend scrolling through the short article for interesting tidbits, like how the teeth of the skull eventually fell off one by one from the vibrations of the music. Pictures of the skull are of course included in the article.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

@dudeglove said:

Where did he get a human skull from? It's not something that's just easily acquired.

One word: Interns

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I mean, it's interesting in theory, but considering the result doesn't really sound like something you couldn't accomplish with any reverberating material, it seems more like he experimented to see if it would sound like something inside your head and stuck with it because he wanted to record with a skull.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.