Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Into the Breach

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 27, 2018

Mechs defend Earth from giant bugs in this tactics game from the creators of FTL.

Dropping at the end of the month, Is anyone looking forward to this?

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ATastySlurpee

I liked FTL, but this looks pretty great. Anybody else got this on their radar? Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely excited to check it out, it seems pretty cool. I do wonder if the maps get bigger than the ones shown in the screenshots.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely excited to check it out, it seems pretty cool. I do wonder if the maps get bigger than the ones shown in the screenshots.

I'm not sure about map size, although I would imagine they do as the game goes along. I know the devs have it structured for each battle to be pretty short in nature rather than drawn out like some turn-based battles can be

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Yeah, it sounds cool; I want to see it in action.

Both the Kotaku and PCGamer previews I've read specifically mention the maps as being 8x8, so that seems to be the size for the whole game.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Rodin

I had no idea this was a thing until i heard Austin talking about on waypoint and now i'm pretty excited for it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm really looking forward to it. It definitely looks up my alley.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to it!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Price will be $15. Seems like a reasonable price to me.

chadjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited for this game... a long awaited follow-up to one of the best indie games of all time? I'm surprised there's no GB coverage today, as the embargo has lifted. It's not even listed in the Top Releases on the homepage @rorie!

No Caption Provided

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah- i'm pretty jazzed on this thing. will be a day 1 purchase for sure- esp. given ben prunty came back to do soundtrack work.

god, FTL was so good, and there's Hot Buzz on the street for this new one. can't wait.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

Id be all over this if I had a pc. Holy moly, didn't even know this existed till this thread.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm just waiting for the sequel 'Once More: Into the Breach. '

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just waiting for the sequel 'Once More: Into the Breach. '

to be followed shortly thereafter with the expansion, "The Breach is That Way: Welcome to the Gunpla Show."

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Humanity

Not really my type of game and the visuals don't do anything for me either. Sometimes, games like Persona can pull me out of my safety zones through style alone and get me to engage with a genre I usually don't dabble with. Xcom did this a few years back as well, as I'm not big into turn based strategy, but this game isn't really scratching any itches.

But people who do like these type of games seem pretty positive on it from the coverage I've seen.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can not wait for this game. I played a bunch of FTL for the last few days just because I'm so pumped for the new game and after not having played FTL in so long I forgot how much I really enjoyed it. It's so good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had forgotten about this game. It looks really cool but I wish it had support for gamepad. It seems like it would be doable with it being a tactical game, but I don't really know the mechanics.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty excited for this. I just wish they launched on IPad same day. FTL works so well on the touch screen and this looks like it will as well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out now via Steam and Gog! If you buy through Gog, you get a copy of FTL free.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, pretty stoked to get home from work and play this. Austin did a stream of it over on Waypoint (it's on their Twitch channel) and it looks fucking cool as hell. Even if I didn't, I dropped like a 100 hours into FTL without breaking a sweat, I'm happy to support the developers.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting. I wish it were on iPad - that's where I played FTL the most.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Oh shit, I had no idea this was coming out. I played the hell out of FTL, so that but with mechs sounds amazing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

Destroyed a building and automatically failed and had me choose a time traveler to save, and then restarted. Can already tell I'm going to suck at this, not that I'm surprised...

Other than that I actually really lime the 8x8 map conceit, makes things tense and rapid fire as I guess they should be for a game like this. Pushing dudes around to get them in opportune positions or to save my ass before a turn also seems neat.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BladedEdge

Just ran through my first play-through of this (and saddly since I lost my pilot early hit the game-over screen). Seems like starting on easy might be worth a go until I get better at this.

From what I have seen though its absolutely worth the price-tag. Its not FTL, its very much a puzzle-ish turn based strategy game. It won't scratch the 'explore, make choices, man a crew' simulation FTL did, but it will scratch an entirely different itch if you find the kind of game it is appealing. As, for what its trying to be, it seems like it succeeds in spades. Just don't go in expecting FTL but this time with a time-travel and robots. Its more akin to Advanced Wars crossed with a straight up chess-puzzle then it is FTL.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I'll give it a shot - eventually. The backlog has grown quite a bit recently. I'm not sure if I'll like the style, but I loved FTL so much that I'll give this game a chance.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I played a little on Easy (since that was the only difficulty level I ever had even remotely any success with FTL) and am digging it so far. Chris Avellone had some tips on his twitter feed earlier today.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That data is all generated automatically. If people start hitting the wiki page I'm sure it'll show up. And whenever someone gets around to QLing it, too.

I'm super excited for this game... a long awaited follow-up to one of the best indie games of all time? I'm surprised there's no GB coverage today, as the embargo has lifted. It's not even listed in the Top Releases on the homepage @rorie!

No Caption Provided

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

played about an hour thus far- this is totally scratching an itch. the combos are super satisfying!

also it seems pretty generous- you can reset turns and even get a limited-use do-over button. looking forward to going deep with this one!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is fantastic. I think the early comparisons to chess and XCom are spot on. The presentation is also very good.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By GundamGuru

I always cock my head at the constant comparison of every tactics game to chess. I get that it's the only common grid-board game where the pieces move under different rules, but it's not really a very helpful or accurate comparison. It'd be like telling someone Gwent or Hearthstone are card games like poker.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SSully

@gundamguru: I usually hate the comparison as well but I think it's applicable here due to how deliberate everything is in this game. There is no chance, all units have very specific moves, and all objectives are clear.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be like telling someone Gwent or Hearthstone are card games like poker.

No, it wouldn't.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MagnetPhonics

I've played a fair bit of it. I think it's an amazing game.

I do wish they actually put more thought into displaying how "Power" worked though. Both in terms of tutorial and UI. I've never been more furious to find out a friendly unit had 2HP and not 1.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pyrodactyl

On the one hand, it might be a tad too easy. Took me 3 runs to beat all islands (perfect rating on 3 of them) and the final encounter without losing a mech. On the other hand I know what making a hard ''no random roll'' tactics game looks like and last time I beat one of those it melted my brain. It takes way too much focus to make the optimal move on every turn. That's why I kind of don't want to do hard mode. It's just harder enemies earlier right? Man, every rogue like should have a ''true ending'' the requires jumping through a few particularly hard hoops during your run. That stuff in spelunky adds so much depth and variety that is just lacking in FTL and Into the Breach.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inb4 the legal team:

No Caption Provided

The Laser Mech that is part of Zenith Guard is very reminiscent of Metal Gear REX. It's a nice little reference, so hopefully Konami's lawyers are asleep at the wheel. Haven't noticed any other allusions, but I haven't seen very many of the squads.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GundamGuru

@bisonhero: I don't think it's a particularly close resemblance. Mechwarrior and Battletech have a long history of that sort of robot design going back to the 80s. That's honestly probably what Kojima was drawing from, or at the very least, the same kind of 80s-esque military tech.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah! Just got the Lightning War achievement in 24 minutes :D

No Caption Provided

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By avantegardener

I'm loving this game (much like FTL) but that final island is brutal.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BisonHero

So I'm really enjoying my time playing Into the Breach so far, but with all due respect to the dev team, I feel like they didn't use Chris Avellone's writing skills very much.

FTL's main "storyline" of fleeing the Rebels wasn't actually interesting and was simply a premise, but I thought the dozens of random scenarios along the way were well written, and it was cool that you would discover some of them had hidden blue solutions that would only appear if your ship had a specific component or upgrade, which would yield a new event resolution you hadn't read before. This game, on the other hand, just has some idle battlefield chatter from your pilots that sort of fleshes out their characters a little bit, and the 4 island CEOs chatter to you about how well you are or aren't doing the bonus objectives, and that's about it. The word count feels dramatically lower than FTL, and what is there is mostly forgettable, brief character quips. Literally the only thing I could really tell you about the characters is that Jessica Kern is an asshole to you, and Isaac Jones the pilot has a stutter (I time traveled with him several times).

With FTL, I enjoyed it for the roguelite spaceship management gameplay, AND the fun little narratives and stories it told. With Into the Breach, I'm enjoying just the roguelite tactical gameplay. Still a good game, I just feel like there's something lacking that could've been included as far as writing is concerned. Maybe even just some kind of glossary/compendium that Avellone could've written, with a bunch of background info for the pilots/islands/mech squads/items/enemy types or something, because as-is the writing feels super light and shallow in the game.

DodoBasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Also finding the game a tad easy. Would you mind sharing the name of the other game?

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MalibuProfen

Spent way too much time with this over the weekend (25 hours). Managed to beat it six times on normal with three different squads with varying island lengths. I may have figured out the game, but it is still very satisfying to discover just the optimal set of moves for a 'perfect' turn that potentially sets up one (or more) of the future turns. And I'm still eager to test out how differently the rest of the mech squads function in practice.

Looking at how the game has got me interested in achievements for one reason or another, I might spend an abundance of time on it this week as well. No way of knowing, though, whether or not this will be an evergreen type of game that I can come back to years down the line, but for now it has been an utmost blast to play.

Recommended for those that enjoy tight, puzzley, tactical, turn-based strategy games where sometimes even the tiniest of mistakes can cascade into larger problems; situations that are still solvable after the fact but not without some sacrifices. I haven't tried the game on easy and I doubt I'll attempt to play it on hard, either, but I'd guess those offer more lenient and harsher experiences, respectively.

Minor critique comes toward the New Game UI, which might be the only screen in the game where it is impossible to go back (in this case to the main menu) using just the mouse; having to press Esc on the keyboard.

Additionally, on an emotional level concerning the 'storyline(s)', it was a bit of a bummer on one of my playthroughs/timelines how the final ending screen presented only two of the three time travelers' names. What made it a bummer was the final battle: the last turn of the battle I had less than 3 power on the grid left and a ranged alpha bug with an attack of 3 was about to splurt on one of the double pylons. I had no other way of stopping the bug from destroying the pylons than to move one of the mechs with less than 4 health in front of the ranged attack, thus sacrificing the pilot on the very last moment. The one making the biggest sacrifice in the end was not subsequently remembered. Not sure if this was: a) a deliberate choice by the developers and writer(/Avellone) to perhaps bring more gravitas to such rare situations, b) more of a 'multiple timelines can be weird' -thing, or c) just a matter-of-fact way to present information without taking such things into consideration.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MagnetPhonics

The writing is not great, but it doesn't need to be for the game to be great. Except that it's confusing or actively deceptive about how the game works in parts. For example, to harp on the poor description of the 'power' mechanic I mentioned earlier, and some minor spoilers for the final fight:

Why do they throw the power pylons down at the end? The dialogue says it is to 'help'. but all it does is provide more targets for the Vek to kill you with.

Literally any other explanation for the pylons ending up in the pit with you would be better, including none at all.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetphonics: I don't remember the tutorial, but is it possible that for the mechs to work they need to be near a functioning power grid which they draw power from somehow? I agree that the excuse for power pylons being present in the final mission is super flimsy.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pyrodactyl

@dodobasse said:

@pyrodactyl: Also finding the game a tad easy. Would you mind sharing the name of the other game?

Invisible Inc + DLC on hard. I would suggest playing the regular game on on normal or hard to learn the mechanics and then turning on the DLC for you second run. That DLC basically doubles the difficulty/length of the game.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I get that much. But the dialogue suggests they are throwing down extra to help you out. Yet I had the same 1 remaining power point I ended the previous stage with, except now with ~8 extra ways to lose said point.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played this for a couple hours. It's great! Really scratches that Advance Wars itch I didn't even know I had, and it's different enough to be fresh. Forcing enemies to smash into each other is the most satisfying thing ever. Now I need two more things to make this perfect:

- A campaign where you can play as the aliens.

- Two-player matches. This might be difficult to balance and could require constant Blizzard-style balance patches. But worth it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

\o/

No Caption Provided

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone else abandoning nearly 50% of their runs on or before the very first turn because, while the game does remember your previous squad and pilot, it does not remember which mech you put the pilot in?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.