Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Into the Breach

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 27, 2018

Mechs defend Earth from giant bugs in this tactics game from the creators of FTL.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Into the Breach

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By imunbeatable80

This is an ongoing list where I attempt to do the following: Play, Complete, and Rank every video game in the known universe in order to finally answer the age old question "What is the greatest game of all time?" For previous entries find the links on the attached spreadsheet.

How did I do?

CategoryCompletion level
    Beat the gameYes
    All SquadsYes (even the secret one)
    All CoinsYes
    Time Played50+
    No Caption Provided

Where do I even begin with Into the Breach? Before I picked this game up, I saw that GB was pretty infatuated with the game for a little while, but it seemed like only Ben kept up with it after a couple weeks. I was a little hesitant to pick the game up, because quite honestly I always felt that Ben's taste in games was maybe the farthest from my own in terms of the GB crew, so if he liked it, well that might not bode well for me. However after waiting for a physical edition for over a year, and finding out that nothing was ever in the plans, I saw it on sale and took the plunge.

When I jumped in, I realized pretty quickly how wrong I was to have any apprehension to this game at all. It combined nearly all of my favorite mechanics into a single game and into my time schedule. A good run might take you all of 2 hours (if you are doing all islands), and it was perfect for when I just had 15-20 minutes to sit down and play a game. I could fire it up quickly do a map or two, and then save the rest for next time. However, describing the game is probably the toughest part of talking about Into the Breach at all, so let's tackle that first.

Into the Breach is a rouge-lite, turn based, strategy/puzzle game, where you are attempting to save the world from an alien species that has started attacking civilization. You start off picking a team of 3 mechs, each with their own unique powers and piloted by their own pilots. When you start off, you will only have access to the basic team, but by completing certain objectives you will earn coins which you can then use to buy other squads. From there you are tasked with going to 1 of 4 different islands each with their own set of levels and trying to not only survive each mission, but complete bonus objectives and save the populace.

While you may be originally only concerned with the health and well being of your mechs, there is an overarching goal of saving the populace, if too many buildings (containing civilians) are destroyed, a meter ticks down and it is game over, no matter how well your mechs may be doing. It can force you into tricky situations where you may either need to sacrifice a building or a mech in order to keep the game going on, it all depends on how well you have played up to that point.

Watch what each move does before hitting go. the # of times I could have utilized combo-ing my moves together but failed cause I got too excited is numerous.
    Watch what each move does before hitting go. the # of times I could have utilized combo-ing my moves together but failed cause I got too excited is numerous.

Each level consists of you landing in a small map, attempting to repel the alien invaders. You may be after bonus objectives like: kill X many, or Protect the bar, and accomplishing these objectives can earn you precious upgrades or overall health on the world power meter, but the level plays out even if you don't accomplish any of the goals. For, if you can survive 3-5 turns in an area (both the mechs and civilization) then you can move on to the next level regardless of the objectives you complete. In order to do that you need to start thinking about the game and its mechanics as a puzzle in order to get you the best move possible.

Each turn the aliens on screen move their allotted spaces and prep an attack on a target, whether it be one of your mechs or a building. You then get your turn to react accordingly to try and mitigate or neutralize any damage done. All of this plays out on a hex grid, where each mech is only allowed so many movement spaces. With every attack laid out in front of you, you have all the time in the world to think about what is going to work best. Perhaps an alien is going to attack a building but a direct hit won't kill him, you could perhaps utilize a different mech that might be able to push it one tile away, which means the alien will miss its next turn. If the aliens are lined up the right way, maybe you can re-arrange them so they attack each other, or bounce off each other for added damage. Is there water, or a hazard nearby you can knock them into? Could you just kill one, or throw yourself in front of a building to save it? There are a lot of possible moves that you can make and in any order, but finding the right moves and order is essential for going far in the game.

After so many levels are completed, you will face a boss and a chance to save that island permanently (and move to the next one). If you beat 2 islands you can immediately take on the final islands and attempt to win the game. It is a push-pull mechanic as for every island you beat, the enemies get tougher, but you have more of a chance to upgrade your mechs, or earn more meter. For every squad, I started off always attempting to do an all island run, this would allow me a chance with a fully upgraded (or close to) character to see what skills are truly worthwhile. That way when I attempted a shorter run, I could make smart decisions about what needs to be upgraded first, and what can probably wait. Almost half of the strategy layer is learning your upgrade route for your mechs. If you have one point to spare, does it go towards the ability to shield up, or does it go for more damage? Since you don't always know when your next upgrade is going to come, you don't want to waste your upgrades on something that isn't vital to your success. For instance your starting mechs, one of them has an ability to shoot a rocket that pushes aliens away one space, one of the first upgrades to get is one that allows you to target a building so that you can push aliens that are right up against the building without damaging the people inside.

You won't be able to tackle every level, so choose carefully for what bonuses you want.
    You won't be able to tackle every level, so choose carefully for what bonuses you want.

At first I found the game incredibly tough, and could barely make any progress outside of clearing the first or 2nd island, but if you play the game enough and engage with it on its level you start to realize all the early mistakes you were making that was preventing you from getting farther. If you try to approach this game like an X-Com or other turn based game where you think you are just going to kill everything in sight, you will not go far. In fact, there are levels and sometimes whole campaigns where I would only kill 10-20% of the aliens because it was smarter for me just to mitigate their damage instead of trying to do damage myself. And just when you get comfortable playing with one squad, you can unlock another one that completely switches up strategies, upgrade paths, and anything else you may have honed in on. Each squad is fairly unique in terms of what it can do, and you will have ones you love and connect with right away, and you will play as ones you absolutely hate, but as long as you are open to developing new strategies this game really has it in spades.

Now, I mentioned it was a rogue-lite without mentioning what parts are rogue-esque. Whether through success or failure, you are able to send back to the start of the game a living pilot that can be the leader of the new party you send out. This pilot will have all the experience and skills that they had in the previous run, so if they were fully leveled up, then whatever Mech you put them in will have a good boost at the start of the game. Those skills could be an upgrade point they can immediately put in their new mech which can go towards, more damage, more movement speed, or new abilities. Or the pilot might just have a bonus to their health which allows them to stay alive longer. You also get to keep any coins you earn regardless of living or dying, but they can really only be used to unlock new squads and won't necessarily help you on your current run.

After beating the game a handful of times with 3 squads, I put it down and thought I would save it for my (now defunct) Youtube channel so that I could play the game with my buddy without having 100% everything. However, as the days went on I felt the pull to go back to the game and see if I could beat it with one more squad eventually overtook my desire to "save" any aspect of the game for future plays. It was the game I was always playing, even when I had time for longer sit down sessions, I still would fire up Into the Breach, and knock out 2-3 full runs before putting it down. If anything I am upset that I 100% the game, and now there is really nothing left to go back for. Sure I could just play it for fun, but without working towards anything, it makes it a much harder sell, when I see a whole bunch of games on my shelves who still have yet to be played for the first time.

Each named pilot has a unique special.. Keep them alive
    Each named pilot has a unique special.. Keep them alive

I really don't even have a lot of negatives to say about the game. The music fits well and is pretty good, the art style might rub some people the wrong way, but I kind of dug it. Playing a majority of the game on normal felt like the right difficulty, it might take you a little while to get in the groove, but I never felt the game was cheap. It telegraphs its moves and you have time to react. There are some instances where it can feel like on turn 1 there are aliens you can't reach who are going to destroy a building or an objective right away, but those turns seemed few and far between. My biggest complaints are that the game really doesn't have a story or a good ending, but seeing as it is meant to be replayed ad nauseum and each run only lasts for 2ish hours, it doesn't detract much from the game. The other complaint can be in how you earn coins, for some mechs it is as simple as playing the game normally and you will come across them without thinking about it, and for other squads you literally have to make getting one of the coins your sole purpose on a run, because it doesn't come up naturally. This can especially be rough, if you are still relatively new and maybe bought a squad you don't like right out of the gate and now can't afford to try another one. Its also not a game that shows very well. Putting this on the big screen or something looking over your shoulder will not sell how much fun it is.

This game will put some people off, it is not an everyone pleaser like Mario or Road Rash 64, but if you like turn based games, rogue-lite games, strategy games, or even puzzle games, I think you will find something to really enjoy with Into the Breach. It was definitely my surprise game of the year when I completed it in 2020. It's also the perfect switch game, just saying.

Is this the greatest game of all time?: No, but its close

Where does it rank: I absolutely adored Into the Breach, I recommend it to nearly everyone, and was one of the first games I told my brother to get when he got a switch this past month. It's not the "Greatest" game, but a damn fine one. I have it at the new #5. It is right above Katamari Damacy and right below X-Com 2.

Up Next: Griftlands (Switch)

Anyone looking for it: here is the link to the list and more if you are interested in following along with me (this is not a self promotion). Here. I added links on the spreadsheet for quick navigation. Now if you missed a blog of a game you want to read about, you can get to it quickly, rather than having to scroll through my previous blogs wondering when it came up.

Thanks for Listening.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game completely took over my life for probably 2 weeks. I love it. The only part that I fell off on was some of the squads strategies, especially after developing such an affinity for the first few. I recognize they're all valid, but I just really found myself bumping up against it with them, and at the time just decided to move on until the Switch version released, and then I just never actually picked it up again. Perhaps I'll dive back in and look up some more consistent strategies for some of the later squads and see if I change my mind about them. Also, Ben Prunty's music in both this and FTL is just top notch stuff.

It's amazing to me that for a game that shows you exactly what every enemy move will be, my dumb ass can still make so many stupid, careless mistakes.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Into the Breach was my go-to game when I was traveling for work. Time just melted away. I could spend 5 hours in an airport for a layover and it felt like seconds, entire flights would vanish, and coming back to a hotel after a 12 hour day was exciting to me because I had just spent the whole work day ruminating on my next move. I'd put Into the Breach up with Spelunky HD as one of the very few perfect, literally perfect, video games.

spacegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spacegg

Interesting read! This was a good reminder that I need to give this game a try. I originally skipped it because it wasn't available for Linux but fortunately now it is. I have heard lots of good about this game.

Cameron_Friend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great write up! I should go back and beat it on Normal. I played the majority of the game on easy because I liked feeling like a tactical genius (a la Mort).

I think the game is really smartly designed, especially with the emphasis on turn order and shifting the enemies, instead of defeating everything on the map.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Into the Breach is a very good game. But it was ever so occasionally inconsistent in it's "perfect information" to the point where I found those occasions to be infuriating in situations that would only be mildly irritating/bad luck in any other game.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: haha i hear you about the dumb mistakes.. i would be on my 5 or 6th squad and still do stupid stuff that would wreck a turn for me cause i didnt plan ahead.

As for the other squads, some are just duds (i hated the ice giants), but yeah its really just finding the way each squad needs to be played.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Welp, someone mentioned Into the Breach so it's customary to now play through it tonight.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: its a really great game.. like really really great.. I loved every minute of it, but i dont think its the greatest game of all time.

Thanls for the read!

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spacegg: thanks for reading.. Its definitely worth a shot if you were intrigued by anything I wrote.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron_friend: Thanks for the read.. it took me awhile to learn to play it that way (not just attack every turn).. but once my mind clicked it was amazing.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetphonics: do you mean that it incorrectly showed what the enemies would do? I cant say that it occured to me or i never noticed if it did.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imunbeatable80: The most egregious example is the ice levels that start with frozen enemies. There's no visual difference between "Frozen and out of the game (barring some intervention) like how ice normally works" and "This enemy will come to life and ambush you." But there were a couple of similar situations in other biomes if I recall

The "lol joke theres a second stage!" reveal in the final battle annoyed me at the time. But at least that was the same every time after.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underrated soundtrack BTW

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Even the effusive praise from Austin Walker I heard before playing this couldn't prepare me for how much this game would be my jam. I've even got 4 island victories on hard for all squads so now when I play it I'm only working on the remaining squad badges for 2 or 3 island runs. Absolutely phenomenal game. You're probably correct to rank it below X-Com 2, another game I love, but I might've put ItB above it by virtue of having a much cleaner launch than that game did.

crashman06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really need to play this. I should just pick it up for the Switch. I think I’ve been wary of it because of FTL. I liked that game in the end but couldn’t really get into it until I used a cheat engine to remove the time limit; with the limit still in place it was just too hard.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crashman06: Yes, don't worry about FTL. I too played FTL a long time ago and was never able to beat it, despite enjoying what I played. Into the Breach while similar, is not only easier in my opinion but also more approachable than FTL was.

@mezmero: Yeah I really debated on whether to put it above Xcom 2.. but ultimately I judged Xcom 2 as it is now, and not what it was like during launch.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@imunbeatable80: Now that you mention it, WITH War of the Chosen it really becomes an undeniably awesome package. So you were likely correct on making that call.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: This just goes to prove to everyone that my list of greatest games of all time is correct and definitely not an opinion piece.. Just hard facts

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great review, I haven't finished the game myself, although I must say that steel judoka squad strategy was not really my cup of tea. 😅

What makes me like this game so much is that it forces you to think so many steps in advance, maybe 3-6 steps... maybe some even more, I wouldn't know 😂 but somehow because of the limited number of units you have to control, you can focus on strategy (or coins), it forces me to think of more moves in advance... even more than chess. (I'm a below average chess player XD)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.