Hypothetically, would you preset the view orientation in a game for your child? (inverted vs. not)

Posted by SgtSphynx (2550 posts) 6 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Hypothetically, would you preset the view orientation in a game for your child? (inverted vs. not) (294 votes)

I invert and yes, I would. 20%
I invert and no, I would not. 11%
I do not invert and yes, I would. 13%
I do not invert and no, I would not. 56%

On this morning's Beastcast, @vinny mentioned that he inverted the controls before handing the controller to his son, Max. While I do not fault him for this, and I am one who plays with an inverted y-axis, I cannot say I would do the same.

My reasoning is this: It stems from my stance that I do not believe anyone has a right to force their views on anyone else. I will not force my child to play with inverted controls. If they come to it on their own after trying both ways, that's great, but I would support them regardless of their choice in this.

Anyway, was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this were.

#1 Posted by Efesell (3342 posts) -

I don't think it was like.. 'here play this the right way' they were inverted from him already playing and he was curious as to like wait is this a smart thing to do?

So probably all on the same page of like nah don't just decide for them.

#2 Edited by Zeik (4957 posts) -

Only if they default to inverted horizontal. I'm not going to raise a monster.

But seriously, I'd probably only do that after I saw them struggling with the camera and thought changing it could help.

#3 Posted by Sweep (10343 posts) -

I think the reasons for doing something like this are in the interests of pragmatism: if you're sharing a console and passing the controller back and forth, it's easier to have everone using the same layout/controls so you don't have to keep going into settings and changing stuff.

Regardless, if it doesn't feel natural then I'm sure the kid will eventually complain. It reminds me a little of forcing left handed children to write with their right hand.

#4 Posted by Rustafur (120 posts) -
@zeik said:

But seriously, I'd probably only do that after I saw them struggling with the camera and thought changing it could help.

Here's the answer for 90% of the parents out there.

#5 Edited by Slag (7871 posts) -

Maybe vinny knows his child prefers it that way. Plus if he's teaching him how to play, chances are he'll teach him in the method he knows best.

I play inverted too.

#6 Posted by BoccKob (471 posts) -

Oh boy is this not the thread to read after watching some Louis CK videos.

#7 Posted by FacelessVixen (2151 posts) -

I had to deal with this inverted shit during the PS2 days. But I complain in retrospect since I remember adapting to which games were inverted and which ones weren't, and it doesn't take me too long to get used to switching between the two when I was going back and forth between Final Fantasy XII (PS2) and Dark Souls 1 somewhat recently.

So, 'git gud' is my solution since you don't always have a choice with older games.

#8 Posted by TheHT (15177 posts) -

Nah. They'll figure out what's best for 'em like I did, starting on whatever's default. It's not a big deal though if someone inverts it first, as long as you're not forcing your kid to play one way or another.

For a while near the start I was an inverted, then I switched.

#9 Posted by enemymouse (513 posts) -

I grew up playing Choplifter and eventually flight sims, all of which I inverted the joystick. When first person games with mouse-look came around much later, I stayed inverted for many years. When I started playing a lot of console games using various thumbstick-camera, something rewired my brain to play those non-inverted. Going back to mouse based FPSes after that, I stayed non inverted and do to this day.

So I guess I'm saying brains are messy and a kid will just find this out for themselves, whether you've started them out one way or the other.

(Horizontal is not even up for debate though. Not under my roof)

#10 Posted by Dixavd (2827 posts) -

When playing games with children I try not to alter the settings at first. Whatever the default is, I'll set it to. In examples where they see my playing a game (which is more likely because it often happens when I'm visiting family), I'll just hand it to them in whatever state its in. Its important to me that they don't feel like I'm changing it for them. Often times as a kid (especially with an older sibling) is spent feeling like things are changed when they're passed to you (such as type of game or difficulty) so even if it has nothing to do with that, I want to reduce them feeling upset or uncomfortable about it as much as possible. If I see them struggling, I might offer to help: but I make clear what I've changed. I've certainly changed camera controls, put subtitles on, or changed the brightness/contrast/colour-blindness settings for kids who seemed to struggle before.

#11 Posted by clagnaught (1879 posts) -

I would have the controls be default. If it is weird for him/her, I would pull up the settings.

I think the Y axis is largely a perception thing more than anything else. I first played FPSs with it inverted, largely because I thought about how you would move a throttle. After a while, I just thought "Yeah, yeah, up is up, down is down."

That said, inverting the X axis makes you a monster and the child must be stopped before the corruption spreads.

#12 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (6351 posts) -

I invert, and I would ask before handing my kid the controller. I'd show them the difference--whether the stick was to represent their head movement or eye movement, essentially--and ask what they thought would be best.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#13 Posted by BladeOfCreation (746 posts) -

I need to listen to this ep, but I'll just say my initial thought is that it makes sense, because Vinny plays inverted so it's also convenient if he needs to grab the controller to help his son get through an area. This seems perfectly normal to me. This is far less strange than those parents who say that they'll make their kids play NES games before anything else because that's what they started with.

#14 Posted by Savage (713 posts) -

Adversity builds character. I would rebind the stick directions to rotate them by 90 degrees.

#15 Posted by ToTheNines (1630 posts) -

This is fucking hilarious. Why does it matter?

#16 Edited by Turambar (8124 posts) -

If I am actively playing games with my child, handing the controller back and forth, then yes, they will be using the same control scheme as I do. I will also show them how to change it if they struggle for one reason or another, but it simply makes no sense to have two different people use two different control schemes on one controller.

#17 Posted by GERALTITUDE (5963 posts) -

My son will be ambi-inverted, just like his pops.

#18 Posted by ripelivejam (12420 posts) -
@sweep said:

I think the reasons for doing something like this are in the interests of pragmatism: if you're sharing a console and passing the controller back and forth, it's easier to have everone using the same layout/controls so you don't have to keep going into settings and changing stuff.

So inverted all the time, got it.

#19 Posted by ajamafalous (13728 posts) -

If we got rid of all topics that "didn't matter" we'd have one thread every two weeks

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#20 Posted by hippie_genocide (2269 posts) -

What kind of responsible parent lets their child play inverted? Why don't you just give him/her a handful of razor blades and a loaded handgun?

#21 Posted by TobbRobb (6348 posts) -

I dunno whatever the game defaults too is probably fine. If they really obviously swing the camera the wrong direction constantly, I might switch it just to see if it would help. But if a kid controls the camera "mostly" fine then I don't see any point in changing.

I grew up in the nightmare era of early 3D games where shit was not standardized, so I've just learned to play with both depending on the game. Prefer non-inverted, but it's really not a big deal. At least on consoles. I've only ever used normal mouse looks so I that might be hard. Don't care to try.

#22 Posted by JJWeatherman (15030 posts) -

This almost reads like a criticism of an important real-world issue, but then it's about inverted video game camera controls, haha.

Anyway, I guess I'd stick to the default if ever in this scenario. I usually try to respect the designer's intent.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7681 posts) -

I'd like to let my kid choose for themself. I will love them however play their games. Of course, I'm speaking as a former inverted person myself, so I suppose I have sympathy due to my own experiences.

#24 Posted by Y2Ken (2810 posts) -

I play inverted, so it would be on that by default. But a lot of games have you set that up at the start now, and for ones that didn't if they were struggling at first I would suggest flipping it.

#25 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (3905 posts) -

I used inverted controls in the past but switched over to regular because it was clear not all games wanted to support that control. Even if I still played inverted, I would preset it to uninverted for that reason. Let them grow up getting used to the most supported control scheme and decide for themselves at some point if they want to switch.

#26 Edited by NeverGameOver (787 posts) -

The conversation on the Beastcast seemed tongue-in-cheek to me. I can't tell whether people in this thead are joking or serious. Honestly, who cares? The concept that you are "forcing" a control system on a child is preposterous.

#27 Posted by ripelivejam (12420 posts) -

This almost reads like a criticism of an important real-world issue, but then it's about inverted video game camera controls, haha.

Anyway, I guess I'd stick to the default if ever in this scenario. I usually try to respect the designer's intent.

the designer's intent is "always play inverted"

#28 Posted by mozzle (253 posts) -

I invert, and would invert for any children I eventually have.

The reason being, it just makes it easier when handing the controller back and forth.

If they end up going regular, well that's fine to.

#29 Posted by Sweep (10343 posts) -

@tothenines said:

If we got rid of all topics that "didn't matter" we'd have one thread every two weeks

A mod can dream :D

#30 Edited by RadleyDuder (162 posts) -

When the boy is of age, he'll know which way is true in the settings of his heart

#31 Posted by mems1224 (2112 posts) -

No God damned child of mine is gonna grow up to be some sort of non-inverted monster

#32 Posted by sravankb (530 posts) -

It doesn't. Some folks don't seem to understand that this has always been a joke topic for the GB crew. I'm glad at least there are some folks like you who seem to get that.

This is supremely inconsequential. Not really even worth mentioning, let alone warrant a discussion.

#33 Posted by Itwongo (1747 posts) -

Inverted on both X and Y

#34 Edited by Asstruck (22 posts) -

@itwongo: Pro-strat. Map A and B to triggers as well.

Inverted or not is such a non-issue that it doesn't matter, it's not like he's raising the kid on DVORAK.

Personally I've reached enlightenment and no longer remember if I play inverted or not in both first or third person or which thumbstick is for movement/camera control.

#35 Posted by RetroMetal (785 posts) -

Forcing their views on anyone else?

I think you are overthinking this and making this into something it's totally not.

Also, anyone that doesn't play inverted is a terrible person and would probably never be able to pilot an airplane.

#36 Edited by ahab88 (269 posts) -

@efesell: this.

I play inverted and my kids just picked up my controls and figured them out.

#37 Edited by soulcake (1673 posts) -

"I like video game so i am gonna force it down my kids throat"

People who play inverted video games should be send to special "work camps"....

#38 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Forward this thread to child protective services.

#39 Posted by Chummy8 (3579 posts) -

I have kids and I play inverted. When I hand the controller over I don't change the settings. They are pretty used to inverted now

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
#40 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (365 posts) -

Definitely not, that would be like presetting them to be left handed.

#41 Posted by MasterRain (386 posts) -

Is he going to convince his son the world is flat next?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.