Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Inverted Controls

Concept »

The action of inverting the controls for looking and aiming (i.e., instead of pushing up on the analog stick to look up, you push down.)

Inverted or non-inverted? (to be specific: up-down in a first-person shooter)

• 68 results
    Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Inverted or non-inverted? (to be specific: up-down in a first-person shooter) (265 votes)

Inverted 41%
    Non-inverted 60%

The wiki says "the majority of players prefer un-inverted controls"

I think this is true, but I wonder by how much. Vote away!

• 
    Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Un-inverted, who the heck actually plays like they're flying a plane?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normal. Calling it non-inverted is crazy talk because it indirectly justifies the monster's choice of going inverted. There, I said it. We were all thinking it.

Though jokes aside, I'll admit, playing through a third person action game with a few friend's of mine where one is inverted and the rest is not. It's interesting how many times I've played a few minutes inverted after being handed the controller before I realize what I'm doing and that's when my brain tells me I can't do it. Our brains are probably better at adapting to a different control scheme than we are when we think about what we're doing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Am i flying a plane? If not up should be up and down should be down.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always played inverted, but recently I've gone to un-inverted when playing with a gamepad just because you're more likely to be passing a controller to or from a person who doesn't play games LIKE THEY SHOULD BE. Just to avoid the hassle of having to change settings back and forth. Also the arguments.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

What's flying a plane got to do with it? When you tilt your head back, you look up. Simple!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitler played with inverted controls. Let that sink in you monsters.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By agentboolen

@awesomeusername: if Hitler was around in the 80's he would have just like everyone else!!!

You young kids are spoiled with developers giving you options to do things the wrong way these days!

In the early days of gaming you learned inverted to be a real gamer. Now you just expect an option button to make things easier for you.

onikagei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the poll results appears as though 1 in 3 people is a terrible monster.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Inverted more like perverted? Amiright!?

No seriously though; playing with inverted controls feels like dying.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

People who play un-inverted and are abusive towards the chosen race of inverted users are basically no better than Hitler.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Un-Inverted. Honestly though if you just gave me Inverted and it was gonna be awkward to have to change it, i'd just play that way. I understand that Inverted is basically "the stick is your head" and Un-Inverted is "the stick is your eyes".

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just going to throw this out there:

Inverted - synonyms: confused, disordered, jumbled, reversed, tangled, haywire, in chaos, wrong way

Inverted - antonyms: clear, ordered, organized, systematic, methodical

I think the evidence speaks for itself.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BradBrains

I often invert both. IM A MONSTER!

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play inverted with a controller but non-inverted with a mouse. I am everyone's enemy.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By volemaulder

@rebel_scum said:

What's flying a plane got to do with it? When you tilt your head back, you look up. Simple!

Amen!

It goes without saying that I play with inverted controls, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

@echoecho said:

I play inverted with a controller but non-inverted with a mouse. I am everyone's enemy.

I used to be like you but then I came to my senses and went full non-inverted. Don't worry there's hope, just surround yourself with 'standards' and avoid the 'invies' you'll get though this. There'll be moments where you hit rock bottom and freeze up during those Halo tutorials (you know the ones where you look at the lights.)

It gets better.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

INVERTED FOR LIFE!

No Caption Provided

#InvertedPride

Thanks for @fobwashed (I think) for making that art, months and months ago.

undrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a reason they call normal normal and inverted inverted.

jk

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Inverted. Fuck the establishment.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Always inverted. My first gaming experience was with a flightstick so it just feels natural.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

If I have a choice, it's inverted, but I can play "normal" if I have to. I'm an ambi-turner.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am disgusted that so many people picked inverted. You people are the REAL problem with the games industry!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Inverted for life yo!!!!! Look at all of yee , you normies , disgusting :3

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inverted.

For all you NON Inverted people, when did you start gaming? Growing up in the 90s, first person shooters on consoles all DEFAULTED to inverted. Games like Goldeneye and the such were always inverted. Are the "normies" all really young, because if you grew up when FPS were first hitting consoles and were inverted why would you change?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often invert both. IM A MONSTER!

Up is down! Left is right!

Loading Video...

First person is always normal, but I can deal with some inversion with third person games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I push down to look down and push up to look up, just like I push my head down to look down and pull it up to look up.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm moving a camera, not my fucking head. Up is up, down is down.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use normal. Ya know, up to look up.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are we talking with a controller or mouse and keys?

First of all I never play first person shooters with a controller, and I never invert the mouse so, normal I suppose.

I don't always play with a controller, but when I do I prefer to play inverted.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ImBigInJapan

With a mouse, it's non inverted as it's more of a 1:1 relationship, moving a reticle over a flat plane. For a gamepad I like the inverted vertical. It does indeed go back to flight controls, but I'm old. Sue me. I'm not changing just because a bunch of kids like to whine about everything that's different to their personal preferences.

Then there are abominations like P4 golden that fuck up the horizontal completely. The stick does the opposite thing to the R/L buttons, regardless of which camera mode you select. Change the camera mode and the relationship between the stick and the buttons reverses such that one of them is always backwards to what you're trying to select. I love the game in every other way but that is just terrible.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

First of all I never play first person shooters with a controller, and I never invert the mouse so, normal I suppose.

Same here actually. When and if I'm using a controller I have to invert. Otherwise I just end up staring at the floor or ceiling every time I try to walk around a corner. When I use mouse and keyboard I never invert though. I don't know why that is.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ImBigInJapan
    @xymox said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Same here actually. When and if I'm using a controller I have to invert. Otherwise I just end up staring at the floor or ceiling every time I try to walk around a corner. When I use mouse and keyboard I never invert though. I don't know why that is.

I think a mouse has a very 1:1 relationship with your screen in an FPS because it's easy to mentally relate the flat plane of the mouse surface to the flat plane of the monitor surface. With a stick since you're not physically moving the control surface across a distance equal (relative to scale) to the distance on screen so the relationship is more abstract and thus people use more varied mental constructs.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inverts are sick, sick people.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inverted when flying, non when on foot.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I played a lot of quake almost 20 years ago I played inverted, but somehow those connections in my brain snapped or something, if I play inverted now I end up looking at the floor or the ceiling every time I do a turn. It's silly.

I obviously play inverted in flight sims, but that's just science, or something.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colin Moriarty at IGN has been talking lately about how he has always played inverted and recently something in his brain broke and now inverted and standard controls both feel wrong. That sounds like a special hell! Has that happened to anyone on here?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I controlled all games with my flight stick then yeah sure, I'd invert. but I don't, 'cause I'm not insane.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZolRoyce

Colin Moriarty at IGN has been talking lately about how he has always played inverted and recently something in his brain broke and now inverted and standard controls both feel wrong. That sounds like a special hell! Has that happened to anyone on here?

Yup, thank god it didn't last long, I forget what game I was playing when I broke (it may have been Afro Samurai, if not, something else I was playing close to when that came out) but the default controls just felt wrong so I switched them, and that felt wrong, so I switched them back, still wrong, so I tried different formats, up and down normal, left right invert, left right normal, up and down invert, nothing I did felt right, everything felt wrong, and I tried another game and it felt wrong too. Too this day I don't know why it happened, I don't understand the random brain impulse that fired off and went "EVERYTHINGS REAL SCREWED UP RIGHT NOW" but it did.
    I managed to get over it luckily by just choosing a control scheme and just sticking to it and after a while with the game it all settled and felt right.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#39 fisk0  Moderator

@rebel_scum said:

The problem with that is that you also turn your neck to the right in order to see to the left. So the only configuration that makes sense from that biomechanical viewpoint is to invert both horizontal and vertical.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

@counterclockwork87: I grew up in the 90's and I still think you're an inverted monster! If I want my reticule to go to the top left of the screen, I'll point towards the top left. Why would I point down right or down left or whatever it is you inverted folks do.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ImBigInJapan

@fisk0 said:

@vod_crack said:
    @rebel_scum said:

The problem with that is that you also turn your neck to the right in order to see to the left. So the only configuration that makes sense from that biomechanical viewpoint is to invert both horizontal and vertical.

Only if you imagine the stick at the back of your head. Now imagine the stick is on your nose between your eyes. Then it's forward for down, back for up, left for left and right for right. Since that's where our vision source actually is, it makes perfect sense. You can try it yourself. Push your nose in those directions and see where your head turns.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#42  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@imbiginjapan said:

@fisk0 said:

@vod_crack said:
    @rebel_scum said:

Only if you imagine the stick at the back of your head. If you imagine the stick is on your nose between your eyes. Then it's forward for down, back for up, left for left and right for right. Since that's where our vision source actually is, it makes perfect sense. You can try it yourself. Push your nose in those directions and see where your head turns.

Now I can't help but wonder if there are cultural differences due to language when it comes to this preference, based on how you've been taught to be perceive turning your head/looking at something based on the words we use to describe that motion. In Swedish I don't think we have a common phrase for the motion you described, you either turn your eyes or your neck, not the face (but in English it certainly make sense to see it that way, since you have the phrase "facing towards x" and stuff like that).

In short, I can't even imagine that in terms of my own head movements.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Up is down.

War is peace.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather die than play with inverted controls. RATHER DIE.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ImBigInJapan

@fisk0 said:
    @imbiginjapan said:
    @fisk0 said:
    @vod_crack said:
    @rebel_scum said:

Only if you imagine the stick at the back of your head. If you imagine the stick is on your nose between your eyes. Then it's forward for down, back for up, left for left and right for right. Since that's where our vision source actually is, it makes perfect sense. You can try it yourself. Push your nose in those directions and see where your head turns.

Now I can't help but wonder if there are cultural differences due to language when it comes to this preference, based on how you've been taught to be perceive turning your head/looking at something based on the words be use to describe that motion. In Swedish I don't think we have a common phrase for the motion you described, you either turn your eyes or your neck, not the face (but in English it certainly make sense to see it that way, since you have the concept of "facing towards x" and stuff like that.

There may be some of that, but I think it's more about which default perception of 3-d space you tend towards.

If you're focused foremost on the 2-d plane of the screen, then non-invert makes sense. Like with a mouse, you're moving a centered cursor on a flat plane. If you think in terms of inhabiting the 3-d space, then vertical invert is sensible. For me, the source of that perception goes back to flight sims, which (by necessity of what they were simulating) were the first games to have a sense of both vertical and horizontal in a 3D space..

With an inverse control stick you are effective pushing the characters face *further into* the 3-d world, or pulling it away. If you tilt your head *back* , 'away' from the world, you look *up*. Tilt it *forward*, into the space and you look down.

Since the viewpoint is not the back of the head but the front where our eyes meet the world, the left/right is a push towards the desired direction, not a pull away. Just like steering a cart in front of you versus a trolley behind you. Since your viewpoint is the front of the object you are leading it by moving in the direction you want to go. From the back of the head. you'd be pushing opposite that. This has ramifications for people's preferences in third person games as well, since you could see yourself as the character, or as controlling a camera behind the character.

Deep stuff, but mainly what I am saying is that people who prefer inverted in FPS are clearly more imaginative and creative since they fully inhabit the character rather than just push a cursor around a 2D image. :-p

TheMikFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play default(non inverted) cause you know....I'm not a fucking monster.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your lord and savior Vinny Jeebus Caravella plays inverted. Are you all saying Vinny's a monster?

TheMikFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question but just in case...yes, I think he'll even agree he's a monster. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Unless you guys play holding your controller up vertically, nobody is "pressing up to look up". You're pressing away from you in order to look up. Or towards you to look down. Sounds no more logical.

I play inverted because I've always found the feel more intuitive. I didn't grow up playing flight sims but the "stick is your head/neck" thing just intrinsically made sense to me moving in a 3D environment.

Silent Hill Homecoming has no inverted y-axis option, despite allowing you to invert the x-axis (and seriously who does that), but I still managed to get the full thousand in that game because I'm stupid. Want to make a bad game harder? Play it with the wrong axis tilt on Hard.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inverted, because that's the way my brain works.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.