Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

IO Interactive

Company »

I.O. Interactive A/S is a Danish video game company most well known for the Hitman series. Other notable releases include Mini Ninjas, Freedom Fighters and Kane & Lynch.

Square Enix breaking ties with IO

• 116 results
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

ಠ_ಠ

Fuckin whatever. Someone else just needs to bankroll season two of the undisputed 2016 GB GOTY.

10 years later to get a worthy successor to Blood Money and then this shit.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@thepanzini said:
    @renegadedoppelganger said:
    @relenus said:

The fact that they're doing this while simultaneously letting Tetsuya Nomura take seven goddamn years to make KH3 is the part that makes me especially mad.

Between that and Final Fantasy XV it seems like Square has unlimited patience when it comes to their domestically developed franchises.

IO did an incredible job homing in on what 'Hitman' was after kinda losing their way with Absolution. In addition their use of the episodic model was brilliant and the way they kept players engaged after the fact that game after the fact with elusive targets was exemplary. Their reward? The chopping block. Imagine if Bethesda sold off id after completely turning around the DOOM IP.

Where does this leave Season 2 of Hitman? Without a publisher backing them I'm assuming that means its either put on hold or scaled down. This sucks.

Kingdom Hearts & Final Fantasy XV have triple the sales of the Hitman franchise when your game sells really well you'll always get time, the episodic model clearly wasn't brilliant looking at the numbers and it was very risky no one has tried it with a AAA game. Doom 2016 is not an apt comparison SE own the Hitman IP without them there is no season 2 its like Bethesda getting rid of id.

Critically speaking Hitman's episodic model was ingenious because it played to the game's greatest strengths, allowing players to fully explore each map and take advantage of all the opportunities it had to offer. It allowed dedicated players to attain mastery over each episode and provided loads of updates and events to encourage doing so. Whether it made good business sense for Square is irrelevant to me as a player.

Square didn't release sales figures for this Hitman game so without those no one really knows how well it did or didn't do. I do know that Square as a publisher has a history of setting huge and unrealistic sales targets for many of their games. Remember that Square is the publisher who defined Tomb Raider (2013) as a failure even after it sold 3.4 million copies.On top of this Square just posted huge profits so it doesn't exactly paint a picture of a publisher who's in dire straits.

I think it's really unfortunate that IO now has an uncertain future whilst this game that clearly is very well liked hangs in the balance.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By frytup
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@frytup said:

If this is true, it seems likely the Hitman IP will stay with IO... assuming they can find a buyer.

Rumor: Io Interactive will retain Hitman rights

woooo. Lets hope.

EDIT: Seems like the German site that is the origin of the rumor is pretty big and reputable. So that helps lend it some credibility.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frytup said:

If this is true, it seems likely the Hitman IP will stay with IO... assuming they can find a buyer.

I really hope that they find a buyer that recognizes the success that can be had iterating on the current HITMAN formula.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess games-as-service is more expensive than I thought

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

Please be true, only last year I was remarking about as a long time Hitman fan what a joy it was to see people who didn't quite get Hitman finally get Hitman with this iteration. Seeing this news is probably the worst video game news I've heard in a long time.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thom_hill: I hope someone picks them up. HITMAN is my favorite game in a long time. That being said, I think Ubisoft would waste the opportunity. I want HITMAN to continue to stand out. In the last 10 years or so most Ubisoft games have felt the same. I think Bethesda might fit though. They did an amazing job with DOOM and I think the strangeness or DOOM and the silly, self-awareness of HITMAN 2016 line up well. Besthesda may be down to publish more HITMAN if they end up buying IO.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
    soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kneejerk reaction. What the fuck dude. Hitman and game as service was like serendipity. And it was just starting to feel like SE is kind of on a roll in multiple fronts, and now this happen.

Although if I/O is worth money thanks to the reception of Hitman, but didn't exactly bring it in terms of sales, and they don't really want to bankroll an on going service, it might make good business sense to sell it off for cash right now.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Scampbell

@frytup: That kinda fits with the tweet they made in response to one of the inquires:

They couldn't really go 'back to making games' unless they had the right to be making said games. Unless of course they for some reason had moved on to another project, which seems highly unlikely. In any case, it sounds like they will have more to say on Monday.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sucks after the last Hitman turned out so good, but I can imagine the episodic nature of it turned away a lot of buyers. Outside of Giant Bomb the most common thing you'd hear about Himan was "how good it was for a game no one's talking about."

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the episodic nature (with the starter pack being free) was the best and worst thing about it. I wound up buying the series when it was on sale and, unless many people jump like I did, that's already money out of pocket. And it's not like that can be subsidised with monetised content.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The episodic nature of HITMAN was fine since I always hoped to buy the complete season once it was released. However, while it does not help that I think much of the pricing structure around the episodes is bad, the issue that's kept me from buying it is that the episodic structure went hand-in-hand with the game being always-online. I just don't buy anything that's always-online for a single-player experience.

EA/Ghost Games also had trouble moving units of Need For Speed 2015 and I think that's at least partially due to it being always-online; so much so that Ghost Games released a statement that includes an assertion of how they are backing away from the always-online requirement in the next NFS.

All that said, I hope IO lands on their feet and the next season of Hitman keeps humming along.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please, release any assets of Kane and Lynch 3 IO if you don't find a buyer.

Now my non selfish pitch. I love pretty much every IO Interactive game out there. They are one of my favorite developers.

Please, SOMEONE buy them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Hmm still no info on IP rights or what they intend to do to stay afloat. They're obviously downsizing which is a real bummer I hope everyone manages to pull through.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke: I feel like it's a good sign for them going on somewhat intact but no idea what it means for Hitman. Hoping that info about them continuing on it is accurate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.