Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPad

Platform »

The iPad is a series of touch-screen tablet devices developed by Apple. The iPad can browse the web, playback local and streamed content, and run a large variety of third party apps, including games.

Tablets, the eternal struggle.

Digi7alS3lf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Digi7alS3lf

So... the iPad comes out, and as with it seems to be the case with every Apple product, everybody hates it, and (by the sales numbers) everybody loves it. 
    So it doesn't have multitasking, it doesn't have Flash support, it doesn't have USB ports, it doesn't have cameras, and it's Apple. Those are all valid reasons to dislike the device.  
    But here i am, in bed with my notebook, trying to read a magazine (pdf, of course), and i realized that a tablet could do the job. Then, i looked into it, and found Sketchbook Pro, Brushes and Art Studio, and saw what can be done with those (i'm a graphic designer and wannabe artist). Then i found books on the store that cannot be bought here in Argentina, and realized i could be paying Marvel for comics and reading more comfortably. And i could be playing Monkey Island or Sam and Max for an hour before going to bed.

So i begin looking for an alternative. After all, how can i live without flash support, usb ports, cameras and multitasking? And i found the Galaxy tab. A great piece of tech, that has 3G, 2 cameras, flash support and Android. GREAT. But i don't want 3G. No WiFi only tablet? Shame. And the price? Even higher that the iPad? And a smaller screen? I wanna draw in it. The 9" screen is great for that. 
    Now BlackBerry has one of their own. Again small screen, and a lot of features i won't be using. And the price... well...who knows.  

I really don't consider these devices "portable". Nobody is gonna be in the middle of the park with one of these. Or walking down the street. That's what your phone is for, if you need it.  

I think i don't mind giving up on flash (i hate flash), the cameras (i don't plan on using those anyway) or the USB ports. I like the bigger screen. I like the support from third parties (Sketchbook pro 8 bucks?).  I think there are things to say against the iPad, but the advantages are essential to me. And i can get one now for 750 dollars. How much will the Samsung or Blackberry be? 

Digi7alS3lf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Digi7alS3lf

So... the iPad comes out, and as with it seems to be the case with every Apple product, everybody hates it, and (by the sales numbers) everybody loves it. 
    So it doesn't have multitasking, it doesn't have Flash support, it doesn't have USB ports, it doesn't have cameras, and it's Apple. Those are all valid reasons to dislike the device.  
    But here i am, in bed with my notebook, trying to read a magazine (pdf, of course), and i realized that a tablet could do the job. Then, i looked into it, and found Sketchbook Pro, Brushes and Art Studio, and saw what can be done with those (i'm a graphic designer and wannabe artist). Then i found books on the store that cannot be bought here in Argentina, and realized i could be paying Marvel for comics and reading more comfortably. And i could be playing Monkey Island or Sam and Max for an hour before going to bed.

So i begin looking for an alternative. After all, how can i live without flash support, usb ports, cameras and multitasking? And i found the Galaxy tab. A great piece of tech, that has 3G, 2 cameras, flash support and Android. GREAT. But i don't want 3G. No WiFi only tablet? Shame. And the price? Even higher that the iPad? And a smaller screen? I wanna draw in it. The 9" screen is great for that. 
    Now BlackBerry has one of their own. Again small screen, and a lot of features i won't be using. And the price... well...who knows.  

I really don't consider these devices "portable". Nobody is gonna be in the middle of the park with one of these. Or walking down the street. That's what your phone is for, if you need it.  

I think i don't mind giving up on flash (i hate flash), the cameras (i don't plan on using those anyway) or the USB ports. I like the bigger screen. I like the support from third parties (Sketchbook pro 8 bucks?).  I think there are things to say against the iPad, but the advantages are essential to me. And i can get one now for 750 dollars. How much will the Samsung or Blackberry be? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.