Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

2016 Road Warrior Events - Petit Le Mans - Sept 24

• 112 results
    datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By datarez

This will be a thread so we can organize and plan the big endurance events for the Road Warrior 2016 season.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Road Atlanta time! The Petit Le Mans is September 24th. The cars will be Corvette DP, Ford GT3, Merc GT3, BMW GT3 & Audi GT3. iRacing's communication is getting better, but lets say, could still use some improvement.

It'll be the Corvette Daytona Prototype, Mercedes GT3, Audi GT3, BMW GT3 and Ruf C-spec. So 3 classes of speed. Should be fun. Team GB will be driving the Mercedes GT3 with one, possibly two cars. We will be streaming it over at twitch.tv/gbracing

Sign-up HERE!

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

fordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordford

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona is going to be on Jan 23rd & 24th with the C7 DP and GT3 cars. No other details on what GT3 cars so we can guess all the current ones. BMW, McLaren, Ruf & Ford Interesting that it'll be night for the full 24, should be fun. We'll want to be sure to test in some full practice sessions to make sure our graphic settings are set for good framerates. That's a bad race to get a lockup.

ConnorPOZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm gonna sit Daytona (I'll be watching and in mumble like last time though) out but I'm interested in doing some of the later races for sure. I'm still adjusting to the Oculus DK2 and want to make sure I can a) sit in that thing for a few hours at a time with no ill-effects and b) that it won't be detrimental to my racing (so far it's actually made me quicker)

I may just end up swapping to TV for important races but the Oculus is so damn fun

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always like to go Prototype (gotta get some use out of that crappy C7 DP, right? RIGHT?!) but driving a GT3 car for 24h could be fun as well. You know I prefer the BMW, but giving the Ford a proper send-off is almost required if the top speed on the oval isn't abysmal.

ConnorPOZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking over this schedule we should definitely do another GB Indy 500, I really enjoyed our race last year even if there was only like 8 cars.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did some practice with the Ford GT3 in a hosted session. Seems alright. My fast laps were mid 1:45s. Session is still ongoing but results will be here.

I'm sure the driver level was all over the place in this session but kind of fun to keep up with the DP through the infield. I was using the baseline with the wing down to 2 and tall gears.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, if those results are anything to go by, the Ford should be reasonably competitive.

I really don't enjoy driving the C7DP.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll jump in for a few stints. Should be a good time.

sebw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sebw

@khann said:

I really don't enjoy driving the C7DP.

Me too, waste of money that thing :(

It sounds like we're all OK with the Ford. We should try to figure out a time next weekend when we can all (or some of us at least) jump in a hosted session and run some laps together. I'm available 2200 UTC- 1200 UTC for practices and race stints.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THAT PROTOTYPE IS TOTALLY ALRIGHT AFTER A LAP ON ICE.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c said:

THAT PROTOTYPE IS TOTALLY ALRIGHT AFTER A LAP ON ICE.

you won't win this battle, you monster

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By datarez

I made a handy-dandy signup sheet in which I *think* I accounted for all our timezones. Let me know if I missed anything or messed it up.

Sign-up HERE!

So it looks like it's not exactly off to a smooth start so far. The qualifying sessions are up now and supposed to be solo car events but they're not so there's been some serious drafting apparently. (Thread) Also the C7 may or may not still have a problem joining the practice servers and still has the meatball flag problem which I'm surprised it still a thing or hasn't at least gotten a comment. If you haven't seen it yet, hitting a curb wrong or an aggressive off track will give you the meatball flag with the spotter saying you have too much damage and it has to be fixed. It ends up being like 15 seconds worth and then you can go back out.

update from iRacing: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3376997.page#9498072

Sorry for any confusion we have caused. Here are some updates:
    - DPs can't join servers - fix is still in testing and will be rolled out once it is confirmed it works
    - DP meatball flag issue - the damage model of the car id not changing prior to the Daytona 24
    - Confusion over field size - field size is 43
    - Team name/e-mail address issue - fix for this is in testing and will be rolled out once it is confirmed it works
    - Server stutter issue - we have seen some reports and are looking into it
    - Qualifying servers being wrong - announcement was unclear as it said both 'open' and 'single car'. Qualifying is open

Again, our apologies for any confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez added my times. I've learned my lesson and realise I need to get a sleep in there somewhere, but the times I've put are really just placeholder. I can work it around whatever time ends up being best.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez said:

- DP meatball flag issue - the damage model of the car id not changing prior to the Daytona 24

GG iRacing. 43 GT3 cars, I assume.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: Well if they can avoid hitting other cars they'll probably be fine, right? Not really any big kerbs to cause damage at Daytona.

sebw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't gotten much practice in because my G27 pedals finally kicked the can, potentiometers for both brake and throttle pedals are sometimes not responding and sometimes bouncing all over the place. I have been thinking of getting Clubsport pedals for a couple of months now so figured now was the time. They'll be here some time early next week so that should give me enough time to get used to them and get practised up.

I also added my times to the sheet and made a column for counting up the yes columns and the maybes as a half a yes and you can see that even with just three we have at least someone available at all times.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: I dunno, if you lock up (not that that ever happens in the Prototype) and cut the bus stop you can take a pretty big bump sometimes.

I'll update my times during the weekend and will be there for most of it and promise not to get super fucking drunk this time.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i started putting my times in and then forgot to finish it

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's race week!

There are practice servers up now. Be sure to hop in and make sure your settings are good for night Daytona and also get some good traffic practice in. We can also do qualifying times as often as we like. Splits are done by iRating. I'd say we'll want to get in the highest split we can for the *hope* of a cleaner race. What team do we want to run under? Giant Bomb or GBeast, doesn't matter me. Trading paints is still not working for team paints unfortunately but rumor on the forum is that they're trying to get it back this week before the 24.

Looking into possibly switching over from mumble to discord but we haven't tried it out yet.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IroN1c

I'd like to be in a split where we are competitive, rather than being last and alone in a "clean" split. I NEED EXCITEMENT (and drama).

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Trading Paints is going to have the team stuff fixed. Wonder if we should do anything special?

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time went by real fast and the race is in 4 days already. I haven't touched my wheel in a couple weeks, but I'll try to get some practice in (I'll only race if I can manage to practice; don't want to be slow and/or crash). Can't even get the site to load at the moment..

What's a good lap time to aim for (in what weather)?

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: fast laps are around 1:45:xxx in 24°C weather during practice sessions. Race laps should be around 1:48:xxx with fuel,traffic and everything. Basically: Under 1:50:xxx and you're fine.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: Thanks! Always good to have something to aim for in practice. I should be able to get well enough prepared; Daytona's simple anyway.

By the way if you guys want to run the Giant Bomb team, I can transfer ownership if needed (if there's anything needed that an admin can't do). I'm not as active as you guys lately so no use being the owner of that team if it's restricting you guys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: I think we're mostly OK being just admins.. but I think only the owner can change the livery, so if we come up with one we may need you to change that.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey! @iron1c made a setup that is faster and easier to drive (IMO) than the baseline :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post it!

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Setup can be found here, pretty sure the first one (just Daytona24h) is the one you want. The second one has changes that are...experimental. I just looked at other setups and what they primarily changed and then tried to combine those things into what we need. It's definitely not there yet, but like @slowbird said we preferred it to the baseline. Also: unfortunately the traction control in the Ford is junk. You lose A LOT of time, even on the lowest setting. I'll probably still run TCS during the race, but keep that in mind while setting times for hotlapping/practice/quali.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take a look at who put in a hotlap in qualifying.

No Caption Provided

Trading paints says they'll be up so I'll work on a paint today. Also look out for a huge bump/landmine in turn 1.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys! Nice to see you are also doing this. I'm running with another team this time. Vendaval is what it's called so if you see that you'll know it's my team. ;) We'll probably end up in a higher split than usual though because guys in the new team have irating at 4500.

Anyway, hope you have a great race, if you're on any stream or something I might check in.

And oh my god that is a fast time from the gisburger! I have some ways to go still to reach that level. ^^

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By datarez

@phouchg: That's an amazingly high iRating. I think we'll be in a split with less than half of that. You might have a good chance of being in the top split broadcast. We'll be on the lookout.

@Trace might be broadcasting for us. He did a test with our BES race last week.

@mouse @sebw We are going to go with discord for chat so try to get that installed and tested. If that invite link that I sent on Twitter expired any of us can send you a new one.

Everyone get some practice in and think about what stints you'd like to do since we've got multiple available for each time slot. For the start I was going to suggest @khann or myself since we've done starts this season. Then to get a split we'd like we can have khann or sebw register us, since those guys will be around.

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I don't know if trading paints will fix team paint before the race but in that case look out for this car.

I didn't do it this time. Credit goes to Rachael Whiteford from Racespot TV.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phouchg: Looks cool.

It looks like Trading Paints has their new UI up now and should have the team stuff up later tonight. If we can get ours uploaded we're going to have this Ford GT design from a bit of @dcf15 artwork that I turned into a paint.

No Caption Provided

Aslo @khann was able to get JRT Timing working on his webserver so we'll have timing and scoring going.
    http://giantbomb.racing/ - pic 1
    http://map.giantbomb.racing/ - pic 2
    http://events.giantbomb.racing/ - pic 3

And @Trace will be streaming here: http://twitch.tv/pseg

For those just find this thread it all starts at 8am eastern / 1300 GMT tomorrow.

Also just paging @mouse. Just need to get you the tga file. Join discord or send me a PM.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By datarez
    No Caption Provided

The Giant Bomb team finished the 2016 iRacing Daytona 24 hours in 9th place out of 23 in class and 20th out of 42 total cars. It was a crazy start of the race because as we've come to expect this season, the iRacing web servers decided it was going to back to sleep and not let anyone on the site. With over 500 teams competing they might have a good excuse for this event, but still a bad time to die.

We started the race ok with only a plan of staying it and making it to the finish. If we ended up racing for a position, great. Well on the 3rd stint I took over and the thing we were trying to avoid happened. I was coming around turn one and a car had spun and was along the inside of the exit of turn 1. He appeared to be back going the right direction and was going to stay to the left. Well he went right, across the track, into our left front.

It's a big GIF, click and wait.
    It's a big GIF, click and wait.

After about 16 minutes of repairs we were in the neighborhood of 8 laps down from the accident. The front body work was a bit damaged but didn't seem too bad and the handling was pretty close to normal. The wheel was straight at least. After it was all said and done we'd probably guess it put us .5 to 1.5 seconds down per lap on time. Problem was this was only in hour 2. We continued on for 22 more hours though and worked our way up to 9th.

No Caption Provided

We had expected other teams in the GT field to maybe have more problems but it was a solid bunch. Everyone in the top 10 had a mostly clean race and even though we ran the rest of the race with only one spin we couldn't make up enough time to move up any further.

The whole team found ways to entertain ourselves though. We had the real Nascar/IMSA/Indycar driver AJ Allmendinger in our race so everytime he would pass us (He was in the faster prototype class so it happened a lot) @Trace would welcome us and the stream to the "Dinger Zone, brought to you by AutoZone." Unfortunately all good things must pass and their car found some trouble and ended on their roof.

No Caption Provided

We had a great time and I had a great time too. I feel bummed that I was in the car when we had our accident, but it happens. It's endurance racing. Thanks to the team. Especially to @khann, @sebw from those large islands down under who were able to put in our overnight US time laps. We had @iron1c representing the eurozone and then we had @mouse, @slowbird and myself in the red, white and blue. Special thanks to @Trace again for streaming and keeping us entertained.

Since this might be the last time we drive this car in a team event, we finished this the only way we could. Seb did donuts until the engine blew up.

No Caption Provided

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice recap there! I think it's a pretty nice result with that early incident. Apologies for basically contributing nothing; I wanted to get back in the car late evening time but dumb stuff came up and I couldn't return.

Great job everyone!

morello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice write-up, and well done. I stopped in on the stream for a few hours post-incident and didn't see it at the time, but having seen it here it's obvious that you could have done nothing to avoid it.

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Phouchg

Great race recap! Sorry to hear about the crash, was a pretty stupid move from that guy. Must have been major brain fade there. Still looked like you were enjoying yourselves and drove really well so still a great job. :)

We came in as 4th in our split (2nd). Only had some half spins and two rather small contacts. The first of them pretty early cost us top speed and about half a second per lap. Otherwise I think we would have gotten third. (Was ahead of them early on).

I'll probably post some video here when I make one. But here's one of our drivers. Tatsuro.

Loading Video...

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I did have a little oopsie. And it looked really bad at first but it actually didn't slow us down really. Maybe we lost a tiny bit more of top speed but with only 2 hours left it didn't do any difference anyway. :P

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phouchg: Ah man that was almost something out of formula D around those tires. ;)
    Great job in your split. Also your teammate has an awesome wheel.

Time to see how much safety rating we can lose in BES around Bathurst.

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: Yeah if I would have held it on the outside of the tires and not collided with them it would have looked awesome. :D

Yeah Bathurst will be interesting.. barely driven there so looking forward to drop to B-class again.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated the first post, title and sign-up sheet for the 12 Hours of Sebring which is happening March 12th.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

12h basically means it is just a 50% distance race, right? So that should be easy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Count me in, though no way am I doing 12 hours in that Ford at Sebring. Sorry @slowbird

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i will drive the ford all 12 hours and get disqualified even if it kills me

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll be using BMW again. Should be better at Sebring than at Daytona. ^^ Was thinking about that C7 but after a couple of scrubs we realised how fragile it is and didn't want to die. :P

My team mates have such high iRating so we'll probably not be in the same split but if you stream again I'll check it out. :)

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't be racing with you guys at Sebring (just not feelin' it lately). I hope you guys kick ass though and I'll be sure to watch any streams. Should be up for other events through the year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse said:

Won't be racing with you guys at Sebring (just not feelin' it lately). I hope you guys kick ass though and I'll be sure to watch any streams. Should be up for other events through the year.

No worries man, feel free to jump in chat on Discord whenever you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.