Did anyone tell Double Fine that Iron Brigade is also a boardgame

  • 53 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for silver-streak
#1 Posted by Silver-Streak (1841 posts) -

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9724/iron-brigade

So....uh, does someone want to tweet the above link to Miur?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#2 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -

Uh oh.

Avatar image for scarace360
#3 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

o fuck.

Avatar image for animasta
#4 Posted by Animasta (14903 posts) -

the trenched portugese dude had already registered the trademark in regards to a possible video game version, this guy has not

Avatar image for klaimore
#5 Posted by Klaimore (1006 posts) -

This shit is hilarious, so everybody what happens next?

Avatar image for ollyoxenfree
#6 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5015 posts) -
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for benpicko
#7 Posted by benpicko (2016 posts) -

LOL.

Avatar image for soldierg654342
#8 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1899 posts) -

I was going to suggest calling it "A Game About Love," but that's apparently a Taiwanese TV show. 

Avatar image for mr_skeleton
#9 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5195 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree
No Caption Provided
I love you.
Avatar image for beachthunder
#10 Posted by BeachThunder (14581 posts) -

How about Hsdfiojsdlkghfg, that couldn't possibly be taken...um...right??

Avatar image for dylabaloo
#11 Posted by Dylabaloo (1573 posts) -

I tweetered him.

Avatar image for jjor64
#12 Posted by JJOR64 (19685 posts) -

They just need to name the game "FUCKSHITNOONELSEHASTHISNAME."

Avatar image for hailinel
#13 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

How about Hsdfiojsdlkghfg, that couldn't possibly be taken...um...right??

What's that? Oh, I actually just filed for the trademark on Hsdfiojsdlkghfg last week, as well as its plural and possessive variants. You should expect to see my video game released sometime in the next five years if all goes according to schedule (and my lawyer in your living room tomorrow).

Avatar image for ley_lines
#14 Posted by Ley_Lines (307 posts) -

Cool find, but the game is about the civil war, I'm sure it's trademark is for the US whereas, Double fine's Iron Brigade is for European distribution.

Avatar image for beachthunder
#15 Posted by BeachThunder (14581 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@BeachThunder said:

How about Hsdfiojsdlkghfg, that couldn't possibly be taken...um...right??

What's that? Oh, I actually just filed for the trademark on Hsdfiojsdlkghfg last week, as well as its plural and possessive variants. You should expect to see my video game released sometime in the next five years if all goes according to schedule (and my lawyer in your living room tomorrow).

I guess it makes more sense than trademarking Edge...=/
Avatar image for pjacobson21
#16 Posted by pjacobson21 (215 posts) -

i think they're fine (double fine, if you will har har har) because the trenched trademark was registered with specific mentions of a possible video game version and I doubt that this board game was ever planned for a digital release.
 
Still... this shit's hilarious haha

Avatar image for hailinel
#17 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

@Rey_Leone said:

Cool find, but the game is about the civil war, I'm sure it's trademark is for the US whereas, Double fine's Iron Brigade is for European distribution.

Actually, Double Fine had to change the U.S. name of the game to Iron Brigade as well in order for the U.S. and European releases of the game to connect in multiplayer. Which, as I said in another thread, is just incredibly silly, and I can't believe that the code wasn't flexible enough to recognize the same game going by a different name.

Avatar image for johndudebro
#18 Posted by JohnDudebro (955 posts) -

I'm currently developing a video game adaptation of Iron Brigade, and I intend to take Double Fine for everything they have.

Avatar image for mrklorox
#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

To be fair, MS kinda deserves it on this one. Iron Brigade is a TERRIBLE name.

@Eujin said:

Did anyone tell Double Fine that Iron Brigade is also a boardgame

You mean Microsoft. This shit is entirely out of Double Fine's hands.

Avatar image for codeacious
#20 Posted by Codeacious (957 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

No Caption Provided

Brilliance.

Avatar image for sooty
#21 Posted by Sooty (8193 posts) -

They might as well not bother releasing it at this point. With the rush of games and all.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#22 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

I refuse to call it anything but Trenched. Fuck Iron Brigade.

Avatar image for notha
#23 Posted by notha (249 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

They just need to name the game "FUCKSHITNOONELSEHASTHISNAME."

god dammit. now i gotta change the name to my game, i thought for sure no one would guess it

Avatar image for groin
#24 Posted by groin (869 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Rey_Leone said:

Cool find, but the game is about the civil war, I'm sure it's trademark is for the US whereas, Double fine's Iron Brigade is for European distribution.

Actually, Double Fine had to change the U.S. name of the game to Iron Brigade as well in order for the U.S. and European releases of the game to connect in multiplayer. Which, as I said in another thread, is just incredibly silly, and I can't believe that the code wasn't flexible enough to recognize the same game going by a different name.

I doubt that the name change was due to a code issue. More likely it is a Microsoft policy that Double Fine must adhere to.

Avatar image for andrewb
#25 Posted by AndrewB (7814 posts) -

This is one of those situations where I hope they get sued a second time just because it would be funny. Then I want the case thrown out on grounds that it's stupid. 
 
Still so bizzarre to me that a game could be completely renamed post launch.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
#26 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7598 posts) -

The problem wasn't that "Trench" was a board game, but that the creators of it were also intending to make it into a videogame. If there's no intention of making an Iron Brigade videogame, they're fine and I'm guessing they checked their facts properly this time.

Avatar image for ds8k
#27 Posted by ds8k (431 posts) -

Iron Brigade is such a boring, standard name. Oh well.

Avatar image for creamypies
#28 Posted by Creamypies (4169 posts) -

I almost feel like this was intentional.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
#29 Posted by deathstriker666 (1349 posts) -

You fight in a trench. But it's a mech!  
Get it?  
........Trenched 
   
Iron Brigade is a great name. Fits with the whole steampunk style of the game. 
Fuck all you guys.

Avatar image for castiel
#30 Posted by Castiel (3279 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton: Get a room!

Avatar image for zero_
#31 Posted by Zero_ (2039 posts) -

Iron Brigade was a fucking stupid name anyway, they should've just called it Twister or something.

Avatar image for red12b
#32 Posted by Red12b (9360 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
No Caption Provided
perfect 
Avatar image for watanabekazuma
#33 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (1006 posts) -

its the risk you take when you repeatedly choose a generic name for your game.

Avatar image for wh1terav3n
#34 Posted by wh1terav3n (622 posts) -

I'm sure that there's no trademark for the name though, otherwise I doubt it would've gotten this far.

Avatar image for yanngc33
#35 Posted by Yanngc33 (4551 posts) -

Just call it "Double Fine" :)

Avatar image for ckeats
#36 Posted by ckeats (496 posts) -

Trenches and mechs you say? "Menched"

Avatar image for mutha3
#37 Edited by mutha3 (5050 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma said:

its the risk you take when you repeatedly choose a generic name for your game.

/sick burn
Avatar image for sgtgrumbles
#38 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@Creamypies said:

I almost feel like this was intentional.

What?

Avatar image for xenonick
#39 Posted by XenoNick (1570 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

No Caption Provided

AMAZING!

Well looks like I'll never be playing this.

Avatar image for swoxx
#40 Posted by Swoxx (3034 posts) -

@ds8k said:

Iron Brigade is such a boring, standard name. Oh well.

yeah!? well so is your username!!!!

Avatar image for cloudenvy
#41 Posted by Cloudenvy (5893 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@ds8k said:

Iron Brigade is such a boring, standard name. Oh well.

yeah!? well so is your username!!!!

So is Sweden!

Avatar image for swoxx
#42 Posted by Swoxx (3034 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Swoxx said:

@ds8k said:

Iron Brigade is such a boring, standard name. Oh well.

yeah!? well so is your username!!!!

So is Sweden!

Totally uncalled for :(

Avatar image for cloudenvy
#43 Posted by Cloudenvy (5893 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Swoxx said:

@ds8k said:

Iron Brigade is such a boring, standard name. Oh well.

yeah!? well so is your username!!!!

So is Sweden!

Totally uncalled for :(

You had it coming!

Avatar image for jurney
#44 Posted by Jurney (11 posts) -

@Hailinel: It's not a function of the game's code, it's a function of the XBox Live platform.

Avatar image for ds8k
#45 Posted by ds8k (431 posts) -

@Swoxx: OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

Avatar image for swoxx
#46 Edited by Swoxx (3034 posts) -

@ds8k: Oh I went there homie!

@Cloudenvysaid:

@Swoxx said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Swoxx said:

@ds8k said:

Iron Brigade is such a boring, standard name. Oh well.

yeah!? well so is your username!!!!

So is Sweden!

Totally uncalled for :(

You had it coming!

This is how you made me feel
This is how you made me feel
Avatar image for creamypies
#47 Posted by Creamypies (4169 posts) -

@NeverDave said:

@Creamypies said:

I almost feel like this was intentional.

What?

Naming it after another board game. One that doesn't have the rights to produce a videogame under that name.

Avatar image for commisar123
#48 Posted by Commisar123 (1950 posts) -

@pjacobson21 said:

i think they're fine (double fine, if you will har har har)

................................fuck you

Avatar image for adoggz
#49 Posted by adoggz (2081 posts) -

does this mean we can finally get them to change the name to "Drenched Episode 0: Origins of the Water"

Avatar image for garfield360uk
#50 Posted by Garfield360UK (551 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
 
 

Haha, I love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.