Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Irrational Games

Company »

A developer with numerous critically-acclaimed (though not necessarily commercially successful) video-game titles such as Freedom Force, System Shock 2 (with Looking Glass Studios) and Bioshock.

How long can you wait for another Irrational game?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

Obviously Bioshock Infinite came out last week and it's been universally praised. We all know the game was in the works for about 5 years and got delayed a couple times, but it was all worth it. Right?! My answer is yes.

So onto the topic title. How long are you willing to wait for another Irrational game. It doesn't have to be a new Bioshock, although I would have no problem with another Bioshock from them. I'm willing to wait at least 4 years. I was going to say 3 but they'd probably delay it so many times, it'd hit 5 years. Again. I don't think I can wait that long. (I'll could die before then!)

So answer.

I'll be back later to read your thoughts. I have to go kidnap Ken Levine and throw him inside a bomb shelter to make sure nothing touches a hair on his genius little head.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

We should build some kind of menacing cyborg bird creature to make sure Ken can't escape...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't come up with a number because I'm not that bothered, with how FPS games are right now (boring) I cannot possibly get excited for another BioShock, even if it does have as cool an ending as Infinite.

I love all the little details you notice after knowing how that game ends, just wish the gameplay made the journey more enjoyable.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By awesomeusername

We should build some kind of menacing cyborg bird creature to make sure Ken can't escape...

Huh? I DO have this statue of a robot bird that looks like it could sing. Don't know where it came from though. We should use it as blueprints.

(I just thought of Ken Levine with a wig and dress being grabbed away by Songbird. Oh man, that is hilarious!)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't been overly impressed with either of Irrational's Bioshock games, so... a long time I guess?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx

I got a feeling we wont see another game from them for a long time and Ken Levine may not have anything to do with it.

If Ken Levine is still making these big budget games (I sure hope so, he does it really well) it wont be for another 5 years. But then, what would it be?

I don't know, all I've ever known from Ken Levine and Irrational are their Shock games which all have similar types of narratives (They all play with game play expectations and video game narrative in their respective times that no other game does)so I cant even fathom a game by Ken Levine or irrational that is nothing short of that.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By DarthOrange

Obviously Bioshock Infinite came out last week and it's been universally praised.

I have yet to play it but judging by a few forum titles on this site alone it did not receive universal praise.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sooty

@awesomeusername said:

Obviously Bioshock Infinite came out last week and it's been universally praised.

I have yet to play it but judging by a few forum titles on this site alone it did not receive universal praise.

Pretty much, it's average FPS gameplay carried by a very pretty intro and a fun ending.

The production values save it, although I'm still surprised it is scoring so high, from a gameplay perspective I didn't enjoy it that much.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

9 years.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

I can't come up with a number because I'm not that bothered, with how FPS games are right now (boring) I cannot possibly get excited for another BioShock, even if it does have as cool an ending as Infinite.

I love all the little details you notice after knowing how that game ends, just wish the gameplay made the journey more enjoyable.

I understand where you're coming from. But I really enjoyed Infinite's combat, mainly because of the skylines, vigors and tears. I used them a lot so when I was shooting dudes, I wasn't really bothered. Every time I think of Bioshock Infinite and it being an FPS, I get bothered a bit, but there's no other genre I can really see it being in. I would prefer it being an FPS over a TPS. I don't really mind the over abundance of FPS because I don't really buy them. The only FPS games I'm willing to buy are Killzone (For MP), Bioshock, Borderlands & Resistance. I'm only interested in those because they either have unique settings or stories. Hell, out of those franchises, I only ever bought all 3 Bioshock's & Resistance 3. The Killzone games I borrowed & got Borderlands from PS+. Every other FPS that comes out, I'll just borrow because why not play as many games as possible? But I wouldn't mind buying another Far Cry. FC3 is an awesome game. Anyways, I'm rambling.

I thought Infinite's gameplay was a lot of fun when you were using skyrails and sending flocks of burning crows at them.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

I meant review wise. But like 90% of the posts I've seen from people talking about this game, they loved it. 8% would be people who thought it was just good and 2% would be the ones that probably hate video games. (Last one was a joke)

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

As long as it takes

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sooty

@awesomeusername said:

@sooty said:

I understand where you're coming from. But I really enjoyed Infinite's combat, mainly because of the skylines, vigors and tears. I used them a lot so when I was shooting dudes, I wasn't really bothered. Every time I think of Bioshock Infinite and it being an FPS, I get bothered a bit, but there's no other genre I can really see it being in. I would prefer it being an FPS over a TPS. I don't really mind the over abundance of FPS because I don't really buy them. The only FPS games I'm willing to buy are Killzone (For MP), Bioshock, Borderlands & Resistance. I'm only interested in those because they either have unique settings or stories. Hell, out of those franchises, I only ever bought all 3 Bioshock's & Resistance 3. The Killzone games I borrowed & got Borderlands from PS+. Every other FPS that comes out, I'll just borrow because why not play as many games as possible? But I wouldn't mind buying another Far Cry. FC3 is an awesome game. Anyways, I'm rambling.

I thought Infinite's gameplay was a lot of fun when you were using skyrails and sending flocks of burning crows at them.

I used all that stuff and agree the skyrails were fun but I felt the vigors were a step back from plasmids (from both the first and second games) and the guns left a lot to be desired too, for the amount of enemies they throw at you I wish the combat was better. Traps were nowhere near as useful in this game and I missed the different ammo types, but that's mainly because using the bolt gun (or whatever it was) in the first game was so much fun. Rapture leant itself to more dynamic combat if you ask me, where as this was pretty standard clear an area and move on gameplay.

My main issue though is the freaking bullet sponging, it's the reason I am just not gonna finish my 1999 run, I might never play it again because of that. Loved going through the intro again though.

For me Infinite was a few steps forward and then others back, the overall combat does feel better than the first game, of course! Just the weapons, vigors and more standard FPS combat sequences (just the way the game & environments are structured) definitely tarnish it.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

As long as it takes.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

Universal praise doesn't mean that the game is loved by every single person who plays it. It just means that most people who have played this game have spoken very highly of it. Of course there will be people who won't like it, and this could be for any number of reasons (not a big fan of the genre, expectations too high, etc). We all have different tastes and preferences in games. I remember Skyrim also had tons and tons of really good reviews but there are definitely people who don't like it that much, and that's totally fine.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

5 years.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're doing pretty well so far so they can take as long as they want.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soldierg654342

I can wait as long as I have a machine that'll run System Shock 2. It's nice to go outside once in a while but you always go back home eventually.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By Kidavenger

I've never played one...

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By awesomeusername

@sooty said:

I used all that stuff and agree the skyrails were fun but I felt the vigors were a step back from plasmids (from both the first and second games) and the guns left a lot to be desired too, for the amount of enemies they throw at you I wish the combat was better. Traps were nowhere near as useful in this game and I missed the different ammo types, but that's mainly because using the bolt gun (or whatever it was) in the first game was so much fun. Rapture leant itself to more dynamic combat if you ask me, where as this was pretty standard clear an area and move on gameplay.

My main issue though is the freaking bullet sponging, it's the reason I am just not gonna finish my 1999 run, I might never play it again because of that. Loved going through the intro again though.

For me Infinite was a few steps forward and then others back, the overall combat does feel better than the first game, of course! Just the weapons, vigors and more standard FPS combat sequences (just the way the game & environments are structured) definitely tarnish it.

The Vigor's were pretty much the same as the old Bioshock's. Crows were the replacement bees. Fire grenade was literally incinerate. Incinerate snapped a fireball at someone and this ones just a grenade with splash damage. Shock was shock. Posession was possesion. All the exact same thing, except the Bucking Bronco and Return to Sender. I agree about traps being useless. I tried it like 3 times and enemies just went around them so didn't use them again. I wished they would've used Vigor's secdondary function the way they did in Bioshock 2 where you can make it incinerate a flamethrower and stuff. But at least you can combine Vigor's.

You're right about guns too. It was all standard guns and they weren't fun to use and the lack of a weapon wheel is just ridiculous. Plus the limited amounts of clips you can carry always made me switch my weapons, which isn't that bad. Just something that bothered me since you can run out of ammo pretty fast during a fight. Different ammo types would've helped against Handymen and stuff but I found the gatling gun pretty much destroyed them fast. Bioshock definitely had more dynamic combat which was better but then again, it's not much of an issue to me.

I wouldn't even dare playing this on 1999 mode. I can play FPS games just fine on normal. Unless the game has a cover mechanic and regenerating health like Killzone 3, I won't dare try the game on the hardest difficulty. I would agree with your last sentence completely if I played it on hard. But I didn't so the combat was good enough for me. Plus, the games story was fantastic so the gameplay was really the least of my worries. I'm bothered more by the terrible textures (On PS3) then anything else!

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername

I can wait as long as I have a machine that'll run System Shock 2. It's nice to go outside once in a while but you always go back home eventually.

Out..... side? What?

I've never played one...

Leave you vile fiend!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Branthog

A long time. I'm not in any hurry. Until the last two weeks or so before Infinite was released, I really didn't give a fuck about another Bioshock game. I mean, I wanted one "eventually", but I wasn't . . . . you know . . . . itching for it to come as soon as possible.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JasonR86

I suppose as long as it takes for them to release a new game.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

as long as they bring a multiplayer mode with DLC i will be ok.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Irrational amounts of time

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see them make a small XBLA/PSN Freedom Force sequel in the long wait between big budget games.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By awesomeusername
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

It the reason why I'm willing to wait for a Valve game, Atlus game, and a few other developers. They make great games and so I will wait for Irrational next game.

Mocca_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rafaelfc

HA!

But he is right though...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater

For as much as I think Bioshock Infinite is great and will probably end up somewhere on my GOTY list... I'm also totally fine waiting the requisite 5-6 years that it will inevitably take for their next game to come out. For as much as that game does right in a narrative sense, there's still the part where it's a competent shooter with a really bad recurring boss fight that made me almost ragequit.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know really, Infinite sort of tied the Bioshock series into a nice little bow so I'd like to see them create a whole new ip for their next game which would definitely take 5 years+. They should take their sweet time though.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any game that takes longer than a year to make is too long for me. I can get a AAA Call of Duty every 365 days.... That should be the standard. Anything longer is just being lazy in my book.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Winternet

How long can they make another game?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rebgav

I'd rather have a great game than a punctual one.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By supamon

Hmm how long will it be till Half-Life 3 or Persona 5 get released?

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chibithor

I think I'd make it out alive if they never released another game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I have a harder time waiting for Bioware and DICE and Blizzard and Rockstar and Bethesda Softworks games, but to answer your question... I hate waiting, and I'm too old to wait on games. I just keep playing.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By AlexW00d

As long as it's Swat then I am fine with waiting a little bit.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StrikeALight

@seppli said:

I hate waiting, and I'm too old to wait on games. I just keep playing.

Same. That's how I feel.

No point waiting for what may never come. (that sounds more depressing than I intended, but you get the idea)

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock Infinite will probably satiate me for a solid 3 years or so before I'll be jonesing for another game.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierg654342 said:

Out..... side? What?

It's a metaphor. SS2 is home and and the other Irrational games are the trips outside.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if I loved the hell out of Infinite and greatly enjoyed the first two Bioshock games as well, I never got too hyped about them and didn't spent my time by counting days and hours 'till their releases (I, once again, use the excuse for having grown too old to get extremely hyped anymore...), so I'll gladly wait for as long as it'll take. Shouldn't be a problem, especially these days, when there seems to be a good game being released every month, sometimes even twice. Of course, I'd love if one of those other games could deliver a story as impressive as Bioshock. I'm looking at you, Valve...

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll never understand that way of thinking. You say you can't wait another 5 years. So if they release a game in six years you're not interested? How does that even work?

November 2019, new releases from Irrational Games! Oh wait no, last game came out 6 years and a half ago, not interested. Are you people really keeping track of when a developer's last game came out and following a strict rule that says "after X amount of time has passed i no longer buy games from this developer no matter what the game is". That makes no sense.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I'll never understand that way of thinking. You say you can't wait another 5 years. So if they release a game in six years you're not interested?

Woah woah woah! Never did I say I wouldn't be interested! Actually, looking at my post, it kind of sounds like that. Edited. Anyways, I mean I don't think I can wait 5+ years because waiting that long is unbearable. But if they announced a new game in 10 years, I'd probably have a heart attack from excitedness. I can totally wait another 5 years. I just really don't want to.

Bioshock Infinite will probably satiate me for a solid 3 years or so before I'll be jonesing for another game.

That makes sense. Not 3 years though. I'm not the type to reply games, no matter how much I love them. But I have this itch to go through Columbia again. So maybe it'll keep me busy for a while.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

Any game that takes longer than a year to make is too long for me. I can get a AAA Call of Duty every 365 days.... That should be the standard. Anything longer is just being lazy in my book.

Your posts always make me want to smash my head in with a hammer. Just. Stop. Posting. PLEASE.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will come out when it is done. Decent sales and a big fat metascore mean the publishers are even less likely to pressure them in to rushing.

So the question of how long you can wait is irrelevant.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jimmyfenix

@jdh5153 said:

Your posts always make me want to smash my head in with a hammer. Just. Stop. Posting. PLEASE.

THIS !!!

bitchypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bitchypixels

If it takes another five or six years to make a game anything near what Infinite was, I'm willing to wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.