Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jagged Alliance 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 30, 1999

Enlisted by deposed leader Enrico Chivaldori, you must hand pick a rag tag team of mercenaries to liberate the fictional nation of Arulco from the evil clutches of it's tyrannical Queen Deidranna.

Mention on Bombcast

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KirePDX

I'm guessing I'm not the only person coming to this page after hearing Jeff talk about it on the Bombcast (Oct. 23). I would love it if they did a Sim-Golf like session of JA2 on a Friday afternoon. Ideally, they could start a game from scratch to at least show the personality quiz and the hiring mechanism, then maybe play through the first mission and then skip forward to where they have the airport and capabilities to order guns and equipment.

Might as well start showing some activity on the forum to see if this can keep the diea going.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dogma

When I heard of this game I also remembered Commando. Does anyone else remember/played that game? I believe it was quite known back then.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By predator

@Dogma said:

When I heard of this game I also remembered Commando. Does anyone else remember/played that game? I believe it was quite known back then.

I think you mean Commandos and yes, that game is great. Desperados is also similar.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dogma

@predator: Ah yes, you are correct. There is quite a difference. ^^

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By buft

@Dogma said:

yeh i loved that game

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker
    neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By neurotic

Hadn't heard of it before but from what they said on the podcast, it sounded pretty damn cool. I would like to see a Friday feature of it too.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dagbiker

They did a Quick Look of the Remake.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Barrabas

@Dagbiker: The remake's not turn based though right? I think I remember that's what turned me off from it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

@Barrabas: It is more like Balder's Gate, where you pause the gameplay when you want.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Fearbeard

I was glad to hear them talk about it. I think JA2 is right up there with Xcom. It is also more approachable now then the original Xcom is.

The new remake is solid in the gameplay department but lacks some of the personality of JA2

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ervonymous

I never knew Jagged Alliance had the whole merc relationship part to it, coincidentally finally got my hands on Valkyria Chronicles and the likes and dislikes between squadmates spices things up there too. I'm all for more turn based strategy content, though I'd prefer them getting taught a lesson in humility by the original X-COM.

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KirePDX

@Barrabas: The initial settings make it play mostly in real-time, but you can set it so the game auto-pauses at tons of trigger points (character sees an enemy, character runs out of commands, character kills an enemy, etc.) so that it plays similarly to JA2. I played it for awhile, but like says, it lacks most of the personality of the original.

Also, it has some weird control issues that throw things off. I played it for a couple hours, but never found the right flow like JA2 had.

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KirePDX

@buft: I don't think there was any game that made me more pixel-aware than Commandos. You would have to put your soldiers' sprites right up to the dot of those vision cones sometimes.

Was it the sequel where the melee guy was able to hide under snow and then ambush dudes? I'm having flashbacks of the bright green syringe icon of the doctor/costume guy that was used to kill enemies. Such a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.