Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

James Cameron's Avatar: The Game

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 01, 2009

Set two years before the James Cameron film of the same name, Avatar: The Game takes place on Pandora, a gas giant's moon, and pits the merciless humans against Pandora's natives, the Na'vi.

• 63 results
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By chstupid
    @Number1 said:
    "@chstupid: So you like santa hats, but think blue aliens are lame, whatever dude only the super pessimistic cant enjoy a movie like this, did you see it in 3D?  this is my best movie ever!!!! im going to see for a 3rd time in 3D, James Cameron FTW. I love how you say they stole from the Matrix which stole from Alice in Wonderland/Wizard of Oz/Tron or Dances with Wolves which stole from Pocohontas. All movies take themes from other movies, it just the directors that can make them better and more focused and all over a better movie. The whole Avatar piloting mixed with a alien planet mixed with a overly complex original story would be fail, they needed an easy story to get into so all your attention can go to the insane realism, detail and 3D in this made up world "

It's true that most movies copy each other but besides the visuals what was something new that this movie did. Whats your deal with santa hats, did they kill your family or something? 
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By TheGreatGuero

How can you give the story a 2? That's ridiculous. The story is incredibly powerful and well executed.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @TheGreatGuero said:

" How can you give the story a 2? That's ridiculous. The story is incredibly powerful and well executed. "

i agree.  
    its all about the little details, the little things ya know. sure the overall plot is been there done that, i get that, but so are 99% of the other movies out there, somehow it just became the "thing to do" when it comes to reviewing avatar.  
    there is just a collection of specific scenes, sequences, and just simple shots throughout the film that made me feel like i was experiences something different. for instance, one scene that stood out for me and i was like, okay, yeah, this movie is fucking amazing, was right near the beginning, when:  
    the films makes you really feel like you are right there with Jake the entire time. as soon as he first wakes up back in the lab, you're just like, woahhhhh he needs to get back into his avatar immediately wow. 
    Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By pirate_republic

I strongly disagree with this review.

If you step back and summarize the plot grossly, it's Pocahontas, yes. But the journey is supremely unique and compelling, courtesy of James Cameron's prodigious directorial skills. The characters are well developed and for once, I was compelled to go for the good guys. This is rare. Even in Disney's Pocahontas I went for the evil white man subconsciously. Additionally, there are many new dynamics added to this "evil white man vs nice indians" formula that are homogeneous with the narrative, which intensifies the plot greatly.

The fiction itself is also quite interesting: both the Na'vi culture and Pandora's intracacies are both unique and well developed. I'd even compare the depth of the fiction to that of Star Wars.

As you said, the CGI is not noticeable. Although you realize the movie is mostly CG, there is a life to the characters, the likes of which I doubt have ever been portrayed to this extent before. The animation is flawless and photo realistic. Courtesy of the 237 million dollar budget, obviously.

...and with the addition of some snazzy 3D effects, particularly in IMAX, you've got yourself a fantastic movie-going experience.

Naturally, this is all subjective, but the hate surrounding this movie is supremely unjustified. Go see it... an 84% on rotten tomatoes should be more than enough to convince you.

P.S. the mineral is called "unobtanium" due to the fact that it is so hard to retrieve. It's more of a joke than an official name: it is presumed that the mineral has an "official" name, but the military commanders coined it "unobtanium" due to the fact that is was practically unobtainable. The fact that you listed this as a flaw nulls your entire review. Good day to you sir.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By AngeTheDude
    @Number1 said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " @chstupid said:
    " @AngeTheDude said:
    "This movie was lame.  I don't understand why people are going crazy over it. It was so pretentious and overwrought.. The whole thing was just too much. "
    This "
    im pretty sure neither of you seen it and are probably just reading reviews and spoilers and pretending like you did.  "
    This "
    Typical fanboy. Just because we disagree with you guys means we are wrong? I did go see this movie and now I really wish I hadn't. I really don't see why you are all so enthralled by every little thing in the movie. The first 45 minutes or so had me hooked and then it totally fell apart after that.  

Stop drinking the Kool-aid guys.
    Coltaine22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Coltaine22

Whenever people get hyperbolic about their praise or disdain for a movie, I cannot help but smell an agenda. I have not seen the movie, so I cannot comment on it's quality, but people on the internet tend to exaggerate their hatred of a movie to show their intellectual superiority.  They are the brilliant ones, who can rise above the philistine tastes of the unwashed masses. It's similar to people's reactions to certain games. It's one thing to say Halo 3 or MGS4 are overrated but to say they are terrible, is a wild exaggeration.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AngeTheDude
    @Coltaine22: What you're talking about is subjective. I really did think Halo 3 was terrible. Is that a wild exaggeration? No, it's what I think and how I feel about that game. I played the game and hated it after about 10 minutes. I'm sure a few people thought MGS 4 was terrible too. I can't make a judgment though, as I've never played it. 

Is it that hard to believe some people really don't like Avatar?
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Sarnecki

No, but suggesting you hated a game like Halo 3 after ten minutes significantly hurt your credibility.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Relys
    @Sarnecki said:
    " No, but suggesting you hated a game like Halo 3 after ten minutes significantly hurt your credibility. "
    What's not to hate?

Terrible story (It's white trash SciFi)

Terrible graphics

Terrible balancing

Pick and choose good sir.
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sarnecki

Ten minutes does not equate to a 12 hour experience.  That's why critics finish watching a film before deciding what they think about it.

It's only like the most basic moral principle of criticism...  I dunno, you might want to use it.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AngeTheDude
    @Sarnecki: Playing a game for 12 hours would require me to LIKE the game enough to do so. If I don't like it, why the hell would I play the rest? If you hated the first hour of a 40+ hour game, would you want to keep playing just so you could decide how you really feel about it? Did you also know that if you don't like a film, you can leave at any time? You can even leave in the first ten minutes! Also, don't act like there is some list of "moral principle(s) of criticism." People can judge any work of art in any way they see fit and by any standards they choose.
    JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

All these people saying "Meh I'll wait untill it's out on DVD".
    Why? Do you have some sort of social disorder that prevents you from going out in public and viewing a movie elsewhere then your own home?
    Honoustly, if the movie does not impress you, you simply have no soul. Just go watch it ( in 3D ) already :P

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Sarnecki

@Ange  
    It's fine that you didn't like the game and choose to disengage yourself from it immidiately.  I'm just saying you have a poor perspective of the game itself, compared to somebody who has finished it and can judge it completely as a product.  The weight your arguement has and your contributions to the discussion are minimized to "It wasn't for me", and at that point, why comment at all seeing as how you have nothing to actually contribute.  Not a diss, just saying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.