Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Japan

Location » linked to 1351 games

Japan is an island country located in Eastern Asia and the Northwestern Pacific Ocean. In the video game industry, Japan has for a long time been one of the most important territories for the development and sale of video games.

So I Might Be Returning To Japan...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I recently returned from Japan after nearly a year at Hiroshima University. 

I may be returning due to a job offer I received from a company in Yamaguchi. It is a pretty sweet job, actually. I would get paid around $2,500 a month, with my rent being around $420 a month. The apartment would come with furniture (not common in Japan), and the company would pay the deposit and key money (likely around $5,000). I would work 100 hours a month (meaning around 25-30 hours a week) and would get a reasonable amount of vacation. The "catch" is that I have to sign a 1 year contract.

It seems like a good job opportunity to get me back over there. I normally wouldn't get my hopes up so high, but this employer contacted me. I feel my chances are at least reasonably good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently returned from Japan after nearly a year at Hiroshima University. 

I may be returning due to a job offer I received from a company in Yamaguchi. It is a pretty sweet job, actually. I would get paid around $2,500 a month, with my rent being around $420 a month. The apartment would come with furniture (not common in Japan), and the company would pay the deposit and key money (likely around $5,000). I would work 100 hours a month (meaning around 25-30 hours a week) and would get a reasonable amount of vacation. The "catch" is that I have to sign a 1 year contract.

It seems like a good job opportunity to get me back over there. I normally wouldn't get my hopes up so high, but this employer contacted me. I feel my chances are at least reasonably good.

ISmoochyI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By ISmoochyI

I used to live in Tokyo..haven't been back tho in like 8 yrs...I gotta get back ASAP

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Ace829

You lucky bastard. Good luck with it though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ISmoochyI: The way that America has been going lately, I am starting to feel uncomfortable here...
    justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By justinnotjason

If you can juggle the work and school, and you're reasonably comfortable living in Japan (like you can speak japanese well enough) then i say go for it. That's like 24k (after rent) of money for the year. 

Also consider the univeristy's reputation for your major is. Overall sounds like a good idea.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Question: Aside from being good to know in the Japan, is it like absolutely mandatory to know Japanese when visiting/ living in Japan? Do a lot of the citizens know English as well? 

Always been curious....

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Qorious

I'd do it. And what's there to lose? You're gonna get 50+ Mbps Internet speed!

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By demontium
    @Ariketh: I am going this summer! 

Touhou!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMustacheHero said:

" Question: Aside from being good to know in the Japan, is it like absolutely mandatory to know Japanese when visiting/ living in Japan? Do a lot of the citizens know English as well?   Always been curious.... "

Personally, I never found it vital, but it does make daily life dramatically easier.

Being able to read and speak Hiragana is most important, followed by being able to write Katakana (at least for your name) and Hiragana. You don't have to be as hardcore about it as some people want you to think, but knowing some of the basics is important. A lot of it you can pick up if you are willing to try, especially the Kanji. Reading is far more valuable than writing it. You can watch some videos here and get a basic understanding of it: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EB8BCDDA4F0A6D51

As far as business advice goes, be humble, read every business card someone gives you (or pretend to), and try not to be too troublesome.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MysteriousBob

OMG japan is soooo cooool 

Ugh.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter

420 dollars a month for an apartment? Seriously? That's batshit crazy. I could literally hop and a plane and live in this "Yamaguchi" place for 4 years without any income with the money I've saved up over the past 8 months. Not that they'd let me. But still, you can't get a place here for less than 600, and that's a totally shit place, and if you don't do a year lease, you're looking at 900-1400 for a ROOM. Ugh.

Living outside of Canada and coming back to work 2 months of the year seems like the best way to go.

Basilisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Basilisk
    @Ariketh said:
    " @ISmoochyI: The way that America has been going lately, I am starting to feel uncomfortable here... "
    Is there any particular issue that you're referring to?

Congrats on the potential job.  What does Yamaguchi do?  I hope that the situation works how you'd like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Basilisk said:
    " @Ariketh said:
    " @ISmoochyI: The way that America has been going lately, I am starting to feel uncomfortable here... "
    Is there any particular issue that you're referring to?  Congrats on the potential job.  What does Yamaguchi do?  I hope that the situation works how you'd like. "
    The economic situation, the way that Americans act, the way that teachers are treated, and that sort of thing. It is probably just reverse culture shock. For example, if my mom tells anyone about me going to Japan, the other person will comment about their child and how amazing they are. It is just...weird. It makes me uncomfortable.

Yamaguchi is famous for the Kintai Bridge. Also, I can take a ferry from there to South Korea and China.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.