Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jeff Gerstmann

Person » credited in 4 games

Jeff Gerstmann is the co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of Giant Bomb as well as a professional video game scientist and anime expert.

Jeff Gerstmann Appreciation Thread

• 142 results
    Dport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@turkburgbro: Saw this just after I posted 🤣. Only just woke up in Australia. Signed up as promised lol

TurkBurgBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dport: Nice! This discord was popping off today. People are very excited, as is Jeff.

joeygills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@turkburgbro: What's the Discord? I missed it when it was posted and then couldn't find it in that hectic chat. lol

TurkBurgBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeygills: It's linked in his patreon. Similar to Nextlander, it's only open for patreon supporters.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for everything Jeff, will follow you in what ever you do.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By OurSin_360
    Loading Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA7GK-48sR8

"2 human...It's a video Game"

Wouldn't post from the site for some reason. I think this was one of the first things that made me join this site lol.

Hope everything works out for Jeff and Giantbomb crew

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By htr10

Took me 2 seconds to go to Patreon and join up with The Jeff Gerstmann Show.

Not going to lie, getting Jeff in a place where he can be the focus again is great. Similar to Nextlander, I think this is going to be awesome.

Now, all we need to do is to Parent Trap the Nextlander crew and Jeff into getting back together and I can die a happy man.

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Jeff all the best - I think this was handled really really badly though. I will also say that I zoned out of Jeff years ago, too miserable and jaded. I was fully into Vinny and Alex over on GB East until they left.

chadjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care how RV handled the departure or how good the new team is, the current team should have fought to have JG on for a send-off show. Really bad taste that he was just gone with no send off. He founded the site. He made Giant Bomb what it is today and it's disgraceful how this was handled. Even Jan's uplifting speech seems hollow and disappointing because of how the departure was handled.

Just sad.

<>

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renegade1973: Yeah, on some level I get though. Wish him the best, been a fan of his since the Gamespot days and i've always respected how he bounced back from corporate bullshit and i'm sure he'll do it again.

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: I was into GB from day one. Ryan's death was heart-breaking. But they carried on. IMHO once they split into GB West and GB East, my preference was Vinny and Alex, and then Austin and Dan and Abby. The GB East podcast was far superior.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renegade1973: It's definitely a preference thing. I too preferred GBE. As i've found i'm getting more cynical as I get older and would rather have optimistic and enthusiastic people bring me up than have fellow cynics confirm my pessimism. But as i've said I don't blame him and hope that maybe doing things his own way reinvigorates him somehow. Not a big fan of solo streams in general so I don't think i'll be checking out his videos but I hope he does well. He deserved a better send off than this.

fingerprints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chadjones: 100% this.

I'm really excited for the new direction at GB and for Jeff getting out on his own. It all seems for the best.

However not having a send off show or podcast for the founder of your site, unless I'm told Jeff specifically didn't want that it really bad. They call it SNL, well each cast member gets a nice goodbye.

It smells very corporate and I think everyone at Giantbomb deserves some very very robust criticism for it and they really do have to take it on the chin, you can throw your hands up and say corporate/legal reasons and I can tell you right now as someone who has done corporate world for many years it ain't good enough. This anger I feel will pass, I'm so excited for all the new content but right now I thinks some very pointed criticism needs to fall on those in charge at giantbomb, they really failed me as a multi year subscriber. I'm going to keep going, I'm excited for the content and I like the people but I just hope somebody somewhere reads this and understands where this comes from and that it's been what I consider a real missed step.

joeygills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turkburgbro: I figured that might be the case, gotta wait for payday. lol

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<-- this avatar goes way back to my Gamespot forum days 20 years ago. Since then every one of those years has been made more enjoyable thanks to Jeff's work.

Star Wars Metallica forever <>

Loading Video...

fjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116  Edited By fjor

They said in the stream about moving to a studio , that would be great for the site.....but i think Jeff did not agree with it...maybe that is the reason he left who knows....it's sad anyways

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Changed the game. There is no Giant Bomb without Jeff Gerstmann.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hey, the guy who hates video games and is completely jaded, according to some people here and on the internet as a whole, started a patreon focusing on video games. Isn’t that odd?

It’s a shame his departure was so abrupt, but that’s how things sometimes go, even if it’s sadly now going to make people to speculate *even* more.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna miss Jeff on GB, This site has basically been my landing page since 2008.

After watching his stream, last night (maybe that's yesterday for some or still today??) I wholly understood and empathized with why he left. Realizing that the thing you created and loved doing is poisoning you and that it affects your family. That hit home real hard. No matter how long you take leave, it will still eat at you. That anger comes out in fucked up ways sometimes. It doesn't help when you have zero commute to blow that shit off.

I'm glad he realized it and saw what he was becoming before it was too late. Its fucking scary.

All in all, I'll keep my GB sub going, see what they do. Also listen to Nextlander and Jeff show (he needs a late night or a daily show).

Jhayward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thank you for all the great videos and podcasts over the years Jeff and good luck with whatever you do next. Listening to you guys review foreign snacks got me through uni and the yearly game of the year discussions have been a staple of my Christmas break for the last 14 years. Thanks for everything.

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Suits

A wealth of video game knowledge and history and an allround great duder just left the building. Shame this forum is all it’s got to show for it, but for what it’s worth thanks for everything mr. Gerstmann.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't get over how little of a send off he got. It's fucking Jeff Gerstmann, the only one left standing since the start of this whole thing and he gets a few mins at the start of the podcast and a paragraph in a shitty statement. I want to be clear that I'm not blaming any of the current staff as I know that they all have huge respect for him and would probably have liked to do something big as a send off but fuck dude.

I'm so glad Jeff's voice will not go missing from this industry, he's one of the realest fuckers out there and that is needed more and more as the lines continue to blur between publishers and media.

Anyway, here's some of my favourite Jeff memories:

Motorbike QL - Jeff and Vinny play a terrible Trials rip-off and Jeff laughs more than I've heard him laugh pretty much ever

Rogue Warrior QL - Jeff and Ryan get sweary

Darkest of Days QL - Jeff and Ryan think about fried chicken

Jurassic: The Hunted QL - What the foxtrot? Maybe the only time anyone has ever walked out of a QL out of disgust

Jeff makes a bad swine flu joke - Context starts at about 1:13:25

Jeff's fall - Jeff plays a prank

Jeff talks about Duke Nukem Forever on The Hotspot - Been a threat for 3 decades and counting

Jeff gives his balanced take on NiGHTS - It's so fucking badumb

This is just a small sampling as I'd have to spend about 3 hours writing this comment to actually capture everything I'd really want to, but suffice it to say, Jeff is a fucking legend of this website and the wider internet and I hope we continue to hear his unique perspective for years to come.

JayCowle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I whole heartedly acknoweldge: Jeff is still a threat.

drdust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

midnight brown

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By aiomon

Giant Bomb has been a huge part of my life for like 10 years and I'm so grateful Jeff made it what it was. I am sad, but I also know we're gonna hear Jeff talk about games somewhere or other. And honestly, the new cast is sick.

Jabels1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originally came to site for Dan, stayed for Jeff. Will miss you here, but will follow you to the ends of the earth.

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for everything Jeff. Best of Luck.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Jared

Did anyone else notice that Jeff's first podcast was on a Tuesday, that it started before the Bombcast and that it was still going after the Bombcast ended? STILL A THREAT!

Looks like Jeff is quickly approach 6,000 Patrons. I'm so happy that we will continue to hear Jeff talk about games. Jeff's knowledge about games from the past 30+ years, and how he has integrity covering games is something extremely rare to find today.

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone: man these are so long ago, there's some comments of myself and I have no recollection of ever watching it 😂

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching his stream, last night (maybe that's yesterday for some or still today??) I wholly understood and empathized with why he left. Realizing that the thing you created and loved doing is poisoning you and that it affects your family. That hit home real hard. No matter how long you take leave, it will still eat at you. That anger comes out in fucked up ways sometimes. It doesn't help when you have zero commute to blow that shit off.

I don't intend this as a dig at anyone or anyplace else Jeff might have worked with, but watching his first stream he already seems way happier than he has in about the last two years.

jedikv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you Jeff

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame the Morbius re-release to theaters, its involved in this somehow

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearing Jeff starts talking about having dreams when he sleeps for the first time in a long while, was such a joyfull moment :)

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suits said:

@ramone: man these are so long ago, there's some comments of myself and I have no recollection of ever watching it 😂

We've been here a while friend.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#136  Edited By Undeadpool

I actually can't put into words how much Jeff's work has meant throughout my life.

He was one of the first internet people to respond to an email I sent out, after I realized he lived in Petaluma (like me) and yet was still a very cool dude (unlike me), and for an insecure 11 year old, that meant a TON. I loved him at Gamespot, I absolutely adored Giant Bomb, and watching it grow from a blog crawl with a podcast attached to it to the multi-faceted entertainment and news juggernaut it became was incredible because Jeff was always there, and always keeping it real.

This sounds like a eulogy, which I don't want, but the man is a true inspiration. Never chased trends, never let the stuff go to his head, and whenever people were dicks, he always just had this attitude like "Why not just be better instead?"

I'm not kidding when I say: on or off-camera, one of the realest people I've ever met.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@ramone: And who could forget Big Jeffery?

Loading Video...

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone: And who could forget Big Jeffery?

Loading Video...

I might actually have to dedicate an entire separate post to my favourite memories, there are far too many.

Bunnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A huge Thank You to Jeff! So many years, with so many changes to this site and to the world. Jeff has been rock in every situation. Not many rocks like that around. Best of luck, Jeff!

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Jeff is not done yet. He will prove overtime on Twitch that he is still a threat. So this isn't goodbye, but see ya later. He did his thing here and no one will be able to measure up.

narficacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started following this website shortly after the first Arrow Pointing Down Podcast. Day One fan, and in that time, I have gone from working as a stock person for Fred Meyer/Kroger; a Victim's Advocate with my local Sexual Assault Center; a Grad Student; and now (and hopefully forever) a Mental Health Counselor in private practice. This website has seen me through every life change that I've made since 2007.

I'm indebted to this crew (changeable as it might be) more than I can say for keeping me laughing and positive through 15 years of insane changes, personal trauma, and achieving my life's dream. I'm going to stick around to see what happens. Seems like the least I can do.

Jeff, I will miss you on this website more than I can put into words. It will forever be your creation and it will forever have changed my life. I will keep following you, but I feel like I need to put these words here today to say one simple thing:

Thank You, Duder.

nismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gentlemen, It has been a pleasure playing with you tonight.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By tartyron  Online

Jeff Gerstmann, regardless of any other factor, created a video game website for people like me: people that didn’t like the greater “nerd culture” of games. GB has been a haven, a sanctuary of those of us that also have other hobbies while still loving video games while maybe not also being Star Wars sickos or Marvel sycophants. Giant Bomb, and by proxy the influence it’s had on Waypoint and Nextlander, is a place we’re regular people could enjoy watching and talking about games without games being their whole lifestyle, at least for me. It has been openly human and humane, “personality-driven” in that their personalities are real people. And despite the paradoxical aspect of it all, I’ve caused me to think of Jeff and all the other founders as constants, if not like-minded friends. People that I knew where there the past decade, even if they didn’t realize the service they provided me.

It’s weird. I do think there are some unspoken details, in an NDA sort of capacity, and as such it may be something we will never really know, but regardless of any of that, I don’t think anyone in front of a camera on any website has beef with any of the others, it seems higher up in management in my estimation. And that’s all I’ll say as far as my take.

Jeff, if you ever read this, I am glad you have done what you have done and been who you have been. Your work has been a great benefit to others, and especially myself. You have created a great thing that I hope will endure even as you work towards making something new. You have done good many times over, beyond anything you or anyone else should ever need to do. You have accomplished more than almost anyone could hope for in this field (he’ll, you invented this field) and I hope that your future efforts bear similar fruit. You are a success. No matter what happened, that is simply factual.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Enjoy your gaming

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.