Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

John Bain

Person » credited in 6 games

John Bain, or TotalBiscuit, was a popular video game commentator, critic and YouTube personality.

John Bain (Totalbiscuit) has passed away.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mycoolhistory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gooni: Yeah, you're misrepresenting what he said there. I believe what he actually said was that he would have preferred a world where TB lived through cancer and continued to confront his past.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was great for some closure. Seeing the 3 people who probably knew him best laugh, celebrate and move on.

Dokaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that they didn't mention his passing on the Bombcast threw me off. He was a massive figure and, even if you didn't care for him, his passing was a big enough news story in itself. Very sad that they'd go radio silent on such a thing, I thought they were better than this :/

I hope he at least gets a mention on the Beastcast. How he was ever labeled as "one of those guys" continues to both baffle and sadden me. If guys like TB are the enemy, their pool of potential heroes and heroines is minuscule.

Avatar image for ready_for_somet
    ready_for_somet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was also confused that they didn't mention TB on the podcast. wat the eff? TB is a huge podcaster so it's weird that a place like GB wouldn't acknowledge him.

Karrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Karrius

It's pretty amazing that you can't even pretend to treat his victims as people. Suddenly, TB is a "hero", the people who don't like him are "far left looking for enemies", and so on. It's somehow bad that people don't like a guy who constantly harassed and defended the harassment of trans women. The fact that other people aren't sucking up and kissing the ass of a guy who harassed their friends and colleagues is a big crime. You can't even pretend to treat other people with basic humanity.

Sorry that I don't see someone who openly mocked my very existence as a hero. Sorry I don't see someone who said that people who defend my friends from streams of harassment from bigots as a hero. But I guess that's not enough, and what TB fans really want is an apology that some of us even exist.

Karrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are well aware of what he did. We are also quite aware of what he did NOT do. Saying that he "actively" harassed people is disingenuous. He made a 30 minute rant on the toxic comments regarding a transgender podcast guest. He also told this transgender person to stop associating with him due to his toxic fanbase. He was also incredibly left-leaning. He pretty much compared all Trump supporters to Hitler.

I do not wish to continue this argument any longer. The last thing we need is a memorial topic getting locked down.

He insisted that anyone who disagreed with him, because they said a transphobic joke in a game was hurtful and bad was lying about being trans. He mocked people who used gender neutral pronouns. He defended people on the GDQ chat spamming transphobic macros at trans woman streamers, and said that the moderators who banned them were "on a power trip". He actively harassed folks. Being left-leaning doesn't mean you're not capable of being transphobic, or being a harasser. Even the hard left has massive issues with transphobic harassment.

If you want this to be a memorial in peace, maybe don't lie to defend the man, attack his victims, praise him for being a hero, and just expect everyone to not correct you?

Karrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Karrius

@gooni said:

@karrius:

We are talking about the same guy that years later kicked out one of his fan from coxcon because he said a trans joke.

Yes. And?

Just because someone, once, defended one of his friends - who he clearly considered to be one of the "good ones" - from direct harassment in person, doesn't mean he's having not participated in all sorts of harassment and continued to defend harassment, yes, including up to last year. Did he ever apologize for saying it's bad to stop harassment?

Like, yall don't see marginalized folks as human! "It doesn't matter how many nasty, sweeping attacks and directed awfulness he participated in, he was nice to ONE OF YOU once, isn't that good enough?". Would you accept that I said something good once about a totally different youtuber, so I can say whatever I damn well please about TB?

Karrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Karrius

@jellycube said:

@karrius:

If it helps you feel any better, he already deleted the gender neutral tweet. Unlike a certain someone who has one of his misogynist tweets framed on his wall as some sort of accomplishment.

I have no idea what or who this second part is referring to. As to the deleted tweet, did he apologize?

Edit: Oh, I just realized who you meant. Look, "is not as bad as one of the most well known white supremacists in gaming" is not saying much,

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Strangestories

I feel immensely for his family and friends. I can’t imagine losing a loved one so early in their life.

To broach on the current argument, I would just like to say one thing (as a person who has been harassed for various things). Even if someone like Bain changes his tune about certain subjects and goes from a harasser to advocate, the pain he caused people can be very long-lasting. The harasser may be able to change their attitude on the fly for the better, but the pain they caused does not suddenly disappear with their old attitude and it does not instantly absolve them of what they have done.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing him once or twice here and he seemed like an okay guy. So I don't have strong feelings about him, but still, rest in peace.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#231  Edited By ToxicAntidote

So how about this; Let's go back to this thread being an actual memorial thread, because there are people who would like and need that to cope with this. And let's have a separate thread for those who wish to discuss all the other stuff that's been going on around John Bain. Because mixing the two isn't good for anyone.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

We all make mistakes at some point, everyone does and nobody is perfect. TB made some mistakes in his past. Let’s all look at the big picture, he was 33 years old so a lot of the more egregious things he did was in his 20’s. I’ll say from personal experience I made some bad choices in my youth and I have time to correct them (I’m 36). TB did not have the time we all have. Let’s think about this before you decide to drag him through the mud for his previous actions.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Drakoji

@karrius: Dude, he doesn't say that being trans is bad, he's just saying the mods in the chat always cause some kind of drama. I mean these events are so sterile nowadays that I just can't watch them anymore. I was watching Limit Break (which is a RPG speed run event.) and the people in attendance could chime in and say some things and it made me remember how better GDQ events were when it was a playful thing. Sure some people were trash and said some horrible things or made some situation problematic, but you need to moderate those people and not make the event an awkward performance piece where only the runner can say somethings during the speed run.

And I don't think the emote is transphobic, most emotes are created in the context of the stream and the inside jokes in that community, people just used it in a shitty way and the streamer (Dan) and TB weren't being shitty at trans people, they just said that they think that the mods are a little too drama prone.

You are grasping at straws to shit on someone who died like not even last week. Just move on.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People asking why this wasn't mentioned on the bombcast, this thread is a pretty good demonstration of why.

Either way they'd piss people off.

everton1066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stuck this comment under the Beastcast podcast. Thought i'd stick in here as well.

I'm happy that Vinny spoke and paid his respect to TB. However, i'm disappointed the West coast did not bother to even mention it in their podcast news section. Whatever you think of the man, it was news worthy.

I am only a premium member to this site because of the way Totalbiscuit spoke about his love of their content. I don't agree he was a negative influence on the gaming space, yes he was opinionated and yes he was abrasive and yes he did call out gaming journalists for their actions but most importantly he spoke up for us the gamers .

I will miss the guy a lot and remember him for the years of great content he provided. Maybe the West coast could at least try to be a bit more respectful in future and not just stick their head in the sand like they did with Kingdom Come.

I know from listening to many a game devs perspective TB did more for their games lifespan than this site ever will and that's a fact my friends.

Anyway i still love this site i'm just disappointed in the West Coast.

Cheers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think GB has to weigh in on anything and everything. Disappointed? Big fucking deal. The things I, you or any other person likes are not as important as you think it is. Gaming is a haven for tribalism and it's one of the reasons John's image is tarnished by ill-advised twitter exchanges.

He lived and he's remembered. That's enough.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#240 gamer_152  Moderator

Hey all. I know tensions are high in here but we've also seen a lot of behaviour in this thread that's been exclusive and hostile. We want to keep a generally open debate environment but insulting other users or making statements that target minorities of any kind is a violation of our rules. Please, be excellent to each other.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

I resisted posting in this thread because I wanted it to stay as a place where those who were distraught could mourn. It seems this thread has developed further than that though so I thought it was important to say something. This is less aimed at those in this thread, and more towards lurkers reading it (as I doubt those actually doing this are visible in this thread):

It's important for those in mourning to have a space to leave their condolences but it's also important for those who were hurt because of him to be able to say so in peace. Neither side existing actually hurts the other so long as they aren't actively searching for each other and confronting them. If you, the person reading this, are one of the people actively searching for anything negative people are saying about TB: I want you to take a second and think about what you're doing. People should respect your grief for losing a person important to you. You should respect others who feel bittersweet relief because the cause of their abuse is gone. Don't go searching for them and definitely don't send them abuse. I've seen way too much of that this weekend (including myself, when I merely answered someone's question about why some people describe him as toxic - I wasn't even talking about my opinion and I got people searching through Twitter to harass me for it).

Again, this wasn't directed to anyone specifically in this thread, but this thread has got a lot of views so I find it likely some of those people are reading this - and I hope I can change the minds of just one person to stop searching for people to insult.

Now on to my complicated feelings (partly for clarity so you know my bias). I am sad that he's passed as I truly believe he had the best intentions at heart, however, I'm conflicted on his legacy because the truth is that his actions directly lead to the lives of people online (including myself) being worse. I don't resent him for it, but I understand those who do (especially those who were sent death threats). He was a role model for me a decade ago but ultimately his actions hurt me and I couldn't continue to follow him. My sister still loved his work though (she listens to every Co-Optional podcast for instance), so I am well aware of how much he improved over time. I respected him but I wished he was better at holding his temper and actually listening to people: even as late as Hellblade's and Battlefront 2's releases last year, he was making the same mistakes. It's just all so sad. If it wasn't for this damn cancer, I truly think he would have learned how to deal with the brand that he created and would have turned a mixed legacy into a completely positive one. It's sad to know that that's never going to happen now. I feel terrible for his family and friends, but especially Genna and his son: I hope they have the support they need.

I just want to quote this comment because it really captures how people should be treating each other in this thread. Please take @dixavd's sentiment to heart before you keep posting in this thread folks.

Karrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Karrius

@drakoji said:

@karrius: Dude, he doesn't say that being trans is bad, he's just saying the mods in the chat always cause some kind of drama. I mean these events are so sterile nowadays that I just can't watch them anymore. I was watching Limit Break (which is a RPG speed run event.) and the people in attendance could chime in and say some things and it made me remember how better GDQ events were when it was a playful thing. Sure some people were trash and said some horrible things or made some situation problematic, but you need to moderate those people and not make the event an awkward performance piece where only the runner can say somethings during the speed run.

And I don't think the emote is transphobic, most emotes are created in the context of the stream and the inside jokes in that community, people just used it in a shitty way and the streamer (Dan) and TB weren't being shitty at trans people, they just said that they think that the mods are a little too drama prone.

You are grasping at straws to shit on someone who died like not even last week. Just move on.

He called people who complained about being harassed idiots: https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/882337419839905793

Why do you think it's "not being shitty" to call people idiots who don't want to face bigoted harassment?TB was being shitty - he insisted there was nothing wrong with how the emote was used, and said you had to be an "idiot" - his words! - to think so. He said you'd have to be an idiot to think it was hurtful that gamers were spamming that every trans woman on stream was just a man in a dress, and you'd have to be an idiot to want to see that moderated.

And you think that's not being shitty, and I'm grasping at straws to think so? Sorry, but it seems to me like you're just a transphobe!

I am only a premium member to this site because of the way Totalbiscuit spoke about his love of their content. I don't agree he was a negative influence on the gaming space, yes he was opinionated and yes he was abrasive and yes he did call out gaming journalists for their actions but most importantly he spoke up for us the gamers .

I will miss the guy a lot and remember him for the years of great content he provided. Maybe the West coast could at least try to be a bit more respectful in future and not just stick their head in the sand like they did with Kingdom Come.

Notice a lot of the unstated assumptions here. If you were one of his victims, well, you must really not be a gamer. If you don't suck up to sexist, racist assholes like the Kingdom Come devs, well, you must be "disrespectful". Respect is OWED to these people. But never, ever, EVER fucking given to anyone else.

You'd think one of the TB fans who got really pissed off when I said his fans were rallying around nazis to support harassment would be upset about this, but, somehow, none of them ever seem to be... they're only ever upset when you point it out.

saytay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's dead

you wanna dance on his grave go do it on your own

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

I resisted posting in this thread because I wanted it to stay as a place where those who were distraught could mourn. It seems this thread has developed further than that though so I thought it was important to say something. This is less aimed at those in this thread, and more towards lurkers reading it (as I doubt those actually doing this are visible in this thread):

It's important for those in mourning to have a space to leave their condolences but it's also important for those who were hurt because of him to be able to say so in peace. Neither side existing actually hurts the other so long as they aren't actively searching for each other and confronting them. If you, the person reading this, are one of the people actively searching for anything negative people are saying about TB: I want you to take a second and think about what you're doing. People should respect your grief for losing a person important to you. You should respect others who feel bittersweet relief because the cause of their abuse is gone. Don't go searching for them and definitely don't send them abuse. I've seen way too much of that this weekend (including myself, when I merely answered someone's question about why some people describe him as toxic - I wasn't even talking about my opinion and I got people searching through Twitter to harass me for it).

Again, this wasn't directed to anyone specifically in this thread, but this thread has got a lot of views so I find it likely some of those people are reading this - and I hope I can change the minds of just one person to stop searching for people to insult.

Now on to my complicated feelings (partly for clarity so you know my bias). I am sad that he's passed as I truly believe he had the best intentions at heart, however, I'm conflicted on his legacy because the truth is that his actions directly lead to the lives of people online (including myself) being worse. I don't resent him for it, but I understand those who do (especially those who were sent death threats). He was a role model for me a decade ago but ultimately his actions hurt me and I couldn't continue to follow him. My sister still loved his work though (she listens to every Co-Optional podcast for instance), so I am well aware of how much he improved over time. I respected him but I wished he was better at holding his temper and actually listening to people: even as late as Hellblade's and Battlefront 2's releases last year, he was making the same mistakes. It's just all so sad. If it wasn't for this damn cancer, I truly think he would have learned how to deal with the brand that he created and would have turned a mixed legacy into a completely positive one. It's sad to know that that's never going to happen now. I feel terrible for his family and friends, but especially Genna and his son: I hope they have the support they need.

I just want to quote this comment because it really captures how people should be treating each other in this thread. Please take @dixavd's sentiment to heart before you keep posting in this thread folks.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone else gone back and started playing some of TB's recommended games? I just grabbed Titanfall 2 off EA Access, and man, I'm completely enthralled with the gameplay! The story is pretty throw away, but other than that.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.