Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

Journey could have been the system seller for Vita.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By Noct

Anyone else play this game and just feel like it would have been perfect for Vita? That screen is so gorgeous, and this game is so visually stunning... Not to mention that it's a PSN exclusive, and their previous games (Flower/Flow) are pretty synonymous with PSN already...

I haven't even bought a Vita yet, and just from the ten minutes I spent demo-ing one I know this game would have sold me on the system if it had been a launch title. As of now I'm waiting for Mortal Kombat, but this definately would have had one in my hands already if it was exclusive to Vita, or maybe even just supported.

Seems like a blown opportunity if you asked me... This game is early GOTY contender for sure, and will easily be the most memorable game of this gen for me.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Noct

Anyone else play this game and just feel like it would have been perfect for Vita? That screen is so gorgeous, and this game is so visually stunning... Not to mention that it's a PSN exclusive, and their previous games (Flower/Flow) are pretty synonymous with PSN already...

I haven't even bought a Vita yet, and just from the ten minutes I spent demo-ing one I know this game would have sold me on the system if it had been a launch title. As of now I'm waiting for Mortal Kombat, but this definately would have had one in my hands already if it was exclusive to Vita, or maybe even just supported.

Seems like a blown opportunity if you asked me... This game is early GOTY contender for sure, and will easily be the most memorable game of this gen for me.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

Nah. This game is best experienced alone in the comfort of your couch, in your bedroom or living room with the lights off, headphones on and nothing to distract you. A far cry from how most people play portable games.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Noct

Blah, couldn't you say that of any game man? I mean seriously, they have Uncharted on Vita... and you wouldn't have to gimp Journey at all to fit on there, it doesn't appear to be all that crazy-hard on the GPU. (Although I'm sure the math and resource-hit on the sand particles is pretty heavy.)

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Dreamfall31

It would lose a TON of it's emotional impact on the tiny screen....this is best on a big flat screen TV.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EVO

@Noct: I'm not saying it couldn't be done on the Vita, just that it would lessen the experience playing it how and where most portable games get played.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any logic here beyond good game + system = people buy system to play good game

good game = x

system = y

x+y = y+x

so 1 = 1 congratulations! Except for the fact that Journey is probably the least mobile game of recent memory, doesn't have very good broad appeal, and would rather empty and featureless on a device monstrously stuffed with stupid features. So 1 does not equal 1.

Well that was a bit harsh...sorry about that...

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Noct

Yeah, there's a lot of logic to it in fact....

First, it's pretty agreed upon I'd say, that Vita has no system-selling title. Most reviews are above average for most of the games in the library, but everyone seems pretty unanimously unimpressed by the software, and absolutely loving the hardware. Typically, the systems that have had shakey launches didn't have that "one game".

All I was saying was that I could have very easily seen Journey as "that game".

As far as the viability of it on Vita... Journey is a gorgeous game; both the sounds and visuals are just staggeringly good. The vita has a huge, gorgeous screen, and the vast majority of players would be wearing headphones anyways. So, doesn't it stand to reason that it would look and sound great on the Vita?

"so 1 = 1 congratulations! Except for the fact that Journey is probably the least mobile game of recent memory,"

Well, from my point of view, it's one of THE most mobile games in recent history. It's short, its EPISODIC, and it could very easily be played in short burts. I personally played it over the span of several days; pretty much one or two levels at a time. Now explain to me how Uncharted is any more of a portable title or any less deserving of a big screen and good speakers...

That's all I was saying. Had Journey been exclusive to Vita, and that was the game I demoed on launch day (rather then Uncharted), I'd have bought a Vita. Heh, I didn't think I was making a contraversial claim here...

coolasj19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coolasj19

@Noct said:

First, it's pretty agreed upon I'd say, that Vita has no system-selling title. Most reviews are above average for most of the games in the library, but everyone seems pretty unanimously unimpressed by the software, and absolutely loving the hardware. Typically, the systems that have had shakey launches didn't have that "one game".

As far as the viability of it on Vita... Journey is a gorgeous game; both the sounds and visuals are just staggeringly good. The vita has a huge, gorgeous screen, and the vast majority of players would be wearing headphones anyways. So, doesn't it stand to reason that it would look and sound great on the Vita?

"so 1 = 1 congratulations! Except for the fact that Journey is probably the least mobile game of recent memory,"

Well, from my point of view, it's one of THE most mobile games in recent history. It's short, its EPISODIC, and it could very easily be played in short burts. I personally played it over the span of several days; pretty much one or two levels at a time. Now explain to me how Uncharted is any more of a portable title or any less deserving of a big screen and good speakers...

That's all I was saying. Had Journey been exclusive to Vita, and that was the game I demoed on launch day (rather then Uncharted), I'd have bought a Vita. Heh, I didn't think I was making a contraversial claim here...

First off, it's thatgamecompany that decides what they do with their game. And I doubt Chen would've let Sony tell them to make this a Vita game. Nor would Sony have done that.

Secondly, why did you play this great emotional 'Journey' of a game over the span of several days?

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Frankly, no offence but no it couldn't at all, really bad idea.

A 2 hour game that almost begs to be played on a big screen in the comfort of your living room, and with almost zero appeal to an absolutely huge percentage of the handheld userbase would never ever be a system seller.

Wii Sports, Brain Age, and Halo 2 were system sellers. Journey could never ever have that kind of mass market appeal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think Journey would be neat on the Vita, but I don't think it'd be a system seller. A 2-hour artistic game doesn't seem like it would single handily move units off the shelves. I'm not trying to diminish its quality, as I haven't played it and it sounds pretty awesome, but it takes more to sell the normal person on a $300 system.

If we're taking about ThatGameCompany and games perfect for the Vita, though, I really hope Flower makes its way to the system.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Noct

@coolasj19 said:

@Noct said:

First off, it's thatgamecompany that decides what they do with their game. And I doubt Chen would've let Sony tell them to make this a Vita game. Nor would Sony have done that.

Secondly, why did you play this great emotional 'Journey' of a game over the span of several days?

Fair enough, but I wasn't suggesting they were going to goose-step in there and demand they release the game a certain way... I just meant that thatcompany is pretty synonymous with PSN already, so it doesn't seem like a huge step to take for them to make an exclusivity deal with the Vita... I mean, aren't all their games currently exclusive to PSN? Do they even have any disk releases? My point being, they are clearly willing to work with Sony.

As for the why... Honestly man, because I just didn't want it to end. I was just so floored by it that I tried to make it last as long as I could. I walked around the majority of every level, spent hours flitting and flying around playing with all the awesome sentient fabrics, and then eventually, I would move on towards the mountain.

Not to mention I'm hip-deep in SFxTekken atm, so there's only so long I can go without playing that... =)

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Noct

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Frankly, no offence but no it couldn't at all, really bad idea.

A 2 hour game that almost begs to be played on a big screen in the comfort of your living room, and with almost zero appeal to an absolutely huge percentage of the handheld userbase would never ever be a system seller.

Wii Sports, Brain Age, and Halo 2 were system sellers. Journey could never ever have that kind of mass market appeal.

Hey man, none taken. But, as I said above, couldn't you say that of ANY game really? Outside of maybe Tetris... doesn't every game benefit from being played on a huge Tv with excellent sound? On the flip side, is it any sillier to release a game like Uncharted on Vita? Isn't it the same argument?

And you're like the third person I've seen say something now to the effect of "Journey could never ever have that kind of mass market appeal."

This mindset baffles me... What is it about Journey that you guys think isn't universal? I mean,outside of casual games, I don't see many things that seem so universally appealing to me... Maybe I'm just blinded by how much I loved the game...

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EVO

@Noct said:

is it any sillier to release a game like Uncharted on Vita? Isn't it the same argument?

Yes, it's the same argument. Hence the lukewarm reception to Uncharted and other games that belong on a console.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Noct

@EVO said:

@Noct said:

is it any sillier to release a game like Uncharted on Vita? Isn't it the same argument?

Yes, it's the same argument. Hence the lukewarm reception to Uncharted and other games that belong on a console.

Hah! Touche sir; I did not think about it that way, at all...

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TentPole

@FoxMulder said:

It would lose a TON of it's emotional impact on the tiny screen....this is best on a big flat screen TV.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Tidel

I would love to play Journey on my Vita -- or more accurately, I would love to play a Journey spin-off on my Vita, one that uses the incredibly fun mechanics and gorgeous aesthetic but isn't trying to be the same experience of anonymous intimacy.

Like, what Journey is, is unique and special and beautiful. But it's also just really fun to fly and slide around, and having got all the trophies except 'Return', I find I still want to play it, not for the emotional experience but because it's one of the most mechanically satisfying games I've played in a while. It's just fun. I could do more of that, please, and I would love to do it on Vita.

I think Vita will get 'that game' in Gravity Rush/Daze. It has had one of the stronger launch line-ups in the history of consoles debuts, but it's a marathon not a sprint. It's still the best handheld gaming device ever created. Just, like, games please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.